Best Buy Plasma?

Not sure how we got here....but, when looking for a panel I found that while the HD panels did a great job of HD broadcast, a number I saw did not do a very good job of up-scaling SD to HD.

This is apparently because to upscale, the HD panel has to interpret how to shade and colour the extra pixels missing in the SD picture, whereas scaling down is much easier.

fusion

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mxlaser,

I appreciate that you have saved many $$'s by buying a SD screen, and you are of the firm belief that in your situation it is giving you the same quality presentation as a HD screen would.

With all the money you have saved by buying a SD panel, why don't you spend some of it on grammar and spelling lessons ? If you had enough money left after that you could possibly spend some money on etiquette lessons, or at least a good dictionary.

By the way, why do you have a "STB: Teac DVB820 HD STB" given that at your viewing distance there is no difference between SD and HD ? Wouldn't a SD STB of been cheaper ?

Austen.

Maybe it was my spelling and grammar that stopped you actually understanding. My grammar as it turns out, isnt too bad. Spelling is not an issue, typing however, on a laptop k/b is :blink:

I won't bother doing this with you, as you couldnt be bothered to read, so i won't bother giving an answer to an idiot like you.

For the others, that obviously know that HD STB's have better connection types, and as i said, you can't see the difference of the physical pixels on a SD/HD comparison, i didnt say you can't get a better image, especially using better equipment... Honestly, some people... Oh yeah, your an idiot who whinges to me to learn to spell, but you can't read yourself... How about i send some of that money to you for reading lessons... Mmmkay pumpkin.

And you talk about etiquette... LOL... funny.

Wasn't editing this one... You are an idiot.

Edited by mxlaser

Maybe it was my spelling and grammar that stopped you actually understanding. My grammar as it turns out, isnt too bad. Spelling is not an issue, typing however, on a laptop k/b is :blink:

I won't bother doing this with you, as you couldnt be bothered to read, so i won't bother giving an answer to an idiot like you.

For the others, that obviously know that HD STB's have better connection types, and as i said, you can't see the difference of the physical pixels on a SD/HD comparison, i didnt say you can't get a better image, especially using better equipment... Honestly, some people... Oh yeah, your an idiot who whinges to me to learn to spell, but you can't read yourself... How about i send some of that money to you for reading lessons... Mmmkay pumpkin.

And you talk about etiquette... LOL... funny.

Wasn't editing this one... You are an idiot.

Hi laser. People like the particular idiot you responded to probably drive a 1982 mitsubishi colt, live in a shed at Mama's and save their dole money for a year or two to buy their HD television - it's their one prize possession so they have to justify it until it hurts!

You know and I know that with 20/20 vision or good spectacles and watching at a normal viewing distance in effect there ain't no difference (oops sorry Austen - slang probably isn't acceptable to you grandmasters of elegant English expression) between HD and SD plasmas.

Sigh, the wanking that goes on in the DBA forums sometimes.....................

Hi laser. People like the particular idiot you responded to probably drive a 1982 mitsubishi colt, live in a shed at Mama's and save their dole money for a year or two to buy their HD television - it's their one prize possession so they have to justify it until it hurts!

You know and I know that with 20/20 vision or good spectacles and watching at a normal viewing distance in effect there ain't no difference (oops sorry Austen - slang probably isn't acceptable to you grandmasters of elegant English expression) between HD and SD plasmas.

Sigh, the wanking that goes on in the DBA forums sometimes.....................

We are sorry for the inconvenience......

Did you miss my point? it was fairly easy to read. You said HD was better. Im stating thats BS.

A GOOD SD PANEL (not all) will be as good as a good HD panel at 3m. THATS WHAT I'VE SAID.

as long as the panel is good yes. My point is, you DONT have to spend a lot more for the same PQ as a HD panel.

There are HD panels that in all honesty make crap SD panels look good.

HD in Australia ATM is in its infancy, and is more marketing than anything else.

Panasonics SD panels use exactly the same processing as their HD panel, hence hwy it was nearly impossible to tell the difference.

So, in summary. A GOOD SD PANEL, WILL EQUAL A GOOD HD PANEL in PQ at 3m.

Yes, if you stuck a **** SD panel next to a HD the HD wouldlook fantastic, the same goes for the other way round.

Your better of getting a good SD panel now and upgrading to true HD in 4-8years than wasting money on a HD panel now with little or now percievable difference, except 2-3x the cost.

You keep refeering to black and dark scenes, but that has NOTHING do do with a HD or SD panel, that has to do a lot with proscessing and the scaler, colour production moreso the actual HD/SD difference, as seen with Panasonics panels

Rather than debating whether HD is better than SD lets consider the original posts request.

Clearly the TEAC and SONIQ panels are at the lower end of the plasma market.

We shouldnt give the potential buyer an impression that he will be getting a SD panel of the same quality as the Panasonic.

My original point was that people shouldnt consider purchasing a plasma solely on price.

The fact that plasma prices have fallen is good for the consumer but equally it can be bad.

It presents an issue whereby those who could not afford a plasma in the past have now an opportunity to buy a cheaper model under $2000 and perhaps arent aware of the mechanics.

So are they really saving $1000 or are they wasting $2000 ? :blink:

Rather than debating whether HD is better than SD lets consider the original posts request.

Clearly the TEAC and SONIQ panels are at the lower end of the plasma market.

We shouldnt give the potential buyer an impression that he will be getting a SD panel of the same quality as the Panasonic.

My original point was that people shouldnt consider purchasing a plasma solely on price.

The fact that plasma prices have fallen is good for the consumer but equally it can be bad.

It presents an issue whereby those who could not afford a plasma in the past have now an opportunity to buy a cheaper model under $2000 and perhaps arent aware of the mechanics.

So are they really saving $1000 or are they wasting $2000 ? :blink:

Lets see... the teac has a DCDi scaler, easily in the top three best scalers, if not the best overall for plasma/projectors and dvd players, and is HIGHLY sought after.

The panel is LG's current panel, being 7th Genereation, using obital shifting, which is the latest anti burn features, that WILL be used in upcoming LG models, the Teac has it first.

Then add to that, the fact that the Teac was consdtructed under Teac Japan's guidence as they are the owners of Teac Australia now.

Just because its cheap doesnt make it ****. Nor does it make it good. It has been given GLOWING reports of exceptional PQ, and nearly every owner loves it. For PQ the one i had was outstanding, i didnt personally like the pixel shifting.

As i have had the Soniq, Teac, TCL, and now the Pana PERSONALLY IN MY HOME, TUNED AND PLAYED WITH, i do have a vast experience, one you do not have in regards to the original posters questions.

The Teac is equal to my now pana 50a in terms of PQ, it also has HDCP, DVI, RGB as well. That said, i prefer my panasonic for looks, and IMO the blacks are better, but only marginally.

Theres only a $500 difference between them.

You disregard the Teac based on your own beleifs, and that it must be crap as its cheap. You don't understand the logistics, R&D and costs that were involved in the Teac.

Also, on the note, if the thread starter wants the Teac, get it before xmas, as Teac have confirmed its a limited edition and won't be produced next year.

Edited by mxlaser

.......The Teac has both DVI and VGA inputs, which may be an issue for you (it is for me). .....

Do the DVI & VGA inputs share the same audio input? Or do they both have their own inouts?

I beleive I read here somewhere it has 1 component & 1 RCA composite/S-video? Is this correct?

How good or bad is the remote controller?

Thanks.

Do the DVI & VGA inputs share the same audio input? Or do they both have their own inouts?

I beleive I read here somewhere it has 1 component & 1 RCA composite/S-video? Is this correct?

How good or bad is the remote controller?

Thanks.

DVI and VGA share the same PC audion input.

Yes, one set of components, S-video and composite inputs each.

Haven't had any problems with the remote yet.

Hi guys,

I am really tempted to get the TEAC from DSE for $1868 but i don't know whether its going to be too big for my room, i got a small room, sitting position should be around 2.5 to 3.5 meters.

BTW How do u apply for 15 months interest no repayment???

I am not working at the moment!

Cheers :blink:

Hi guys,

I am really tempted to get the TEAC from DSE for $1868 but i don't know whether its going to be too big for my room, i got a small room, sitting position should be around 2.5 to 3.5 meters.

BTW How do u apply for 15 months interest no repayment???

I am not working at the moment!

Go to your local DSE store (or JB or Strathfield or Myer or David Jones or Hardley Normal), stand next to a 42-inch screen, turn around and take three large steps. Turn around again and look at the screen and see what you think. Only you can tell what you think of the size.

If the store you want to buy it from has "15 months interest no repayment", tell your sales assistant you want to apply.

Austen.

OK what cable should i be getting??? How much they cost?

Apart from that i also need a SD STB ....i saw one on DSE selling for $89.84 any thoughts ?????

BTW will there be any furhter price drop on the current price TEAC 42" @ $1868????

OK what cable should i be getting??? How much they cost?

Apart from that i also need a SD STB ....i saw one on DSE selling for $89.84 any thoughts ?????

BTW will there be any furhter price drop on the current price TEAC 42" @ $1868????

I paid $1799 from DSE on launch. Others have goteen $1750 from JB. You can get a little better :P

Good luck

I paid $1799 from DSE on launch. Others have goteen $1750 from JB. You can get a little better :D

Good luck

Hi Mxlaser, :P

I'm also interested in buying the TEAC from DSE ...but do you think DSE can do the best price than the other 2? (GG n JB).

And do you think they will give the cheap price (say $1750) and still with interest free term? :blink:

I'm also thinking of getting 5 years extended warranty for them.

I've compared all 3 of them, and i think DSE has the best warranty type/style/service.....(GG = $350, DSE = $350, JB = Not sure)

Both GG and JB, offered the same as the manufacturers' warranty up to 5 years

GG - extended warranty will b dealt with a "3rd party" that will carry out the same warranty as manufacturers' warranty...

JB - I think (if my memory still serves me right) :P it's 5 years with TEAC themselves...

DSE - the extended warranty is dealt by themselves, so according the sales dude there, if my house is within 20 kms of the shop, they'll send a technician for free...

they will firstly, fix, then replace, then refund if they think replacing the unit will cost them more money than the initial cost of the TV....

But please feel free to put in ur 2cents in on this.... :P

I'm still a newbie on this & really appreciate anyone input on this..... :P

Cheers :P

But the Home Theater Master MX500 has a better range.

My ray888,

have u check the logitech universal remote out? a fren or mine said it's awesome...not sure abt it myself since i dont have one.....

but if u haven't check it out, doesn't hurt to do it...

Cheers :)

Hi Mxlaser, :D

I'm also interested in buying the TEAC from DSE ...but do you think DSE can do the best price than the other 2? (GG n JB).

And do you think they will give the cheap price (say $1750) and still with interest free term? :blink:

I'm also thinking of getting 5 years extended warranty for them.

I've compared all 3 of them, and i think DSE has the best warranty type/style/service.....(GG = $350, DSE = $350, JB = Not sure)

Both GG and JB, offered the same as the manufacturers' warranty up to 5 years

GG - extended warranty will b dealt with a "3rd party" that will carry out the same warranty as manufacturers' warranty...

JB - I think (if my memory still serves me right) :P it's 5 years with TEAC themselves...

DSE - the extended warranty is dealt by themselves, so according the sales dude there, if my house is within 20 kms of the shop, they'll send a technician for free...

they will firstly, fix, then replace, then refund if they think replacing the unit will cost them more money than the initial cost of the TV....

But please feel free to put in ur 2cents in on this.... :P

I'm still a newbie on this & really appreciate anyone input on this..... :P

My ray888,

have u check the logitech universal remote out? a fren or mine said it's awesome...not sure abt it myself since i dont have one.....

but if u haven't check it out, doesn't hurt to do it...

WhenI bought mine, GG wanted $1860 and $326 for the extended 5 yrs warranty plus delivery. DSE didn't have them then. So I went with JB at $1800 + $300 + delivery.

I thought about the Harmony 880 ($279 online) but at the present, the MX500 is serving its purpose. I did read that people were having problems trying to configure them using the web. Maybe after Xmas.

WhenI bought mine, GG wanted $1860 and $326 for the extended 5 yrs warranty plus delivery. DSE didn't have them then. So I went with JB at $1800 + $300 + delivery.

I thought about the Harmony 880 ($279 online) but at the present, the MX500 is serving its purpose. I did read that people were having problems trying to configure them using the web. Maybe after Xmas.

Hi ray888,

do u know if say i have a HD STB that has HDMI will work fine with the TV or DVD Player with HDMI?

I know that it only has DVI, but the DVI to HDMI cable should be okay rite?

Ta

:blink:

Hi ray888,

do u know if say i have a HD STB that has HDMI will work fine with the TV or DVD Player with HDMI?

I know that it only has DVI, but the DVI to HDMI cable should be okay rite?

Ta

:blink:

I have the TEAC, as for prices I paid 1890+ 350 for 5 years warranty. Thinking back I will probably off load in in 3 years and upgrade and since the warranty is not transferable probably wasted my money on that.

If you plan to keep it for 5 years get the warranty. Chances are in 5 years you will have enough dead pixels to claim a new set :P

As for getting it interest free and then trying to haggle on the price, very difficult to get any real discounts.

If you really want to haggle and get a decent discount you need to be paying cash.

AFAIK no one has been able to get a DVD player working HDMI - DVI on the TEAC so I would not count on hooking your DVD player up HDMI-DVI. I think it has something to do with DVD players and HDCP.

I reckon you HD STB would be fine though.

I have the TEAC, as for prices I paid 1890+ 350 for 5 years warranty. Thinking back I will probably off load in in 3 years and upgrade and since the warranty is not transferable probably wasted my money on that.

If you plan to keep it for 5 years get the warranty. Chances are in 5 years you will have enough dead pixels to claim a new set :P

As for getting it interest free and then trying to haggle on the price, very difficult to get any real discounts.

If you really want to haggle and get a decent discount you need to be paying cash.

AFAIK no one has been able to get a DVD player working HDMI - DVI on the TEAC so I would not count on hooking your DVD player up HDMI-DVI. I think it has something to do with DVD players and HDCP.

I reckon you HD STB would be fine though.

Thanks d_player33,

I'm thinking of buying SD STB instead of HD STB for now....becuz I dont really see the point of having HD box as yet..

So u reckon, non HDMI dvd player will work with the TEAC??? :P

as for the SD STB, i should be able to use component cable, yeah?

does the component cable comes with the TV or SD STB?

if no, how much does it cost normally?

Cheers again :blink:

Thanks d_player33,

I'm thinking of buying SD STB instead of HD STB for now....becuz I dont really see the point of having HD box as yet..

as for the SD STB, i should be able to use component cable, yeah?

does the component cable comes with the TV or SD STB?

SD set top boxes do not have component output , they usually only have composite and s-video

this is why you should buy a hd stb and use dvi or component ( save component for the dvd player)

SD set top boxes do not have component output , they usually only have composite and s-video

this is why you should buy a hd stb and use dvi or component ( save component for the dvd player)

Yeah, if it was me, with the teac, and its HDMi issues currently, i'd get a Maya 603 dvd player, outputting through VGA/D-SUB and a HD STB using DVI.

Will give you the best image you can get without running into issues.

Yeah, if it was me, with the teac, and its HDMi issues currently, i'd get a Maya 603 dvd player, outputting through VGA/D-SUB and a HD STB using DVI.

Will give you the best image you can get without running into issues.

So do you think TEAC is a good TV to get still then? :blink:

TEAC with the SD STB should be alrite...rite??

I'm thinking of getting the SD STB TEAC...can't remember the model number tho... :P

P.S. - what do you think about the warranty questions that I mentioned previously?

thanks mxlaser