JVC HDZ70RX5 70" LCOS Rear Projection TV

Back on topic about the JVC....

I emailed JVC enquiring about the 1080p models of their D-ILAs.

My question:

Hi,

I am interested in the D-ILA Rear Projection sets.

However, I see that the HD-Z56RX5 and HD-Z70RX5 has a resolution of

1280x720.

I have done some research and know that in the US there is a 1920x1080

resolution model.

I would like to know whether these True HD models will be released in

Australia and when.

Thanks.

Their response:

Hi and thank you for e-mailing JVC Australia.

These two models are the only two that we have currently on range. However

late next year we are bringing in a 1920 x 1080 HD-DILA .

Regards,

Sal

JVC Australia

Ph: 1300 728 225

So much for waiting for them to be released :blink:

Looks like JVC is out of the picture for me......

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LCoS:- Liquid Crystal on Silicone

SXRD:- Silicone X-tal Reflective Display (X-tal is pronounced Crystal)

Try:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-5023901-4.html

http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcos.htm

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsf..._LCOS_TVs4.html

Edited by Alfred the Great

How do you think this JVC 70" compares in terms of PQ and blacks to the Sony 60" Grand Wega 3LCD

I cant believe they said late next year, surely thats a mistake.

The Sony will have the better PQ since both have the same resolution, and one has to stretch 10" further.

Dont tell me you're re-considering :blink:

I cant believe they said late next year, surely thats a mistake.

The Sony will have the better PQ since both have the same resolution, and one has to stretch 10" further.

Dont tell me you're re-considering :blink:

I have not decided on what to get as yet, bronx - did you think I was set on the JVC?

What have you decided?

lol

I thought you were starting to look at the JVC, yeah.

I went to HN this afternoon, and the sales guy is going to ring me on Thursday LG and Sony regarding the 71" LCoS and SXRD.

I couldnt look at sets as they were closing, I was watching one set and the sales guy just walked over and switched it off, right infront of me.

But then again, he already knew he wasnt getting the sale.

Ownen, I ahve always been under the impression that for video display 720p is superior to 1080i, is it?

No, 1080i is MUCH better then 720p for shear detail and HD “WOW”” factor on any TV capable of displaying it correctly.

Unfortunately there are no digital displays available here, and very few anywhere that can do justice to 1080i. This is because of the simple bob deinterlacing that is used by almost all digital TV’s to display 1080i video.

Bob deinterlacing reduces the vertical resolution of 1080i to only 540. This is then upscaled to the native vertical resolution of the digital display, e.g 720p, 768p or even 1080p.

It is little wonder that many people think 720p video is superior to 1080i when all they have seen is only 540 upscaled..

The only displays currently available here that can display 1080i are CRT based.

HD CRT TV’s display 1080i natively, and don’t need to deinterlace.

The Sony SXRD IS capable of motion adaptive deinterlacing that maintains the full vertical resolution of 1080i, and the JVC 1080p sets may also do this.

I am reasonably certain that the LG will not, and most other 1080p displays will not either, at least in the short term.

I am not aware of any 720p or 768p displays that do not use bob deinterlacing on 1080i.

That is not to say that 720p or 768p displays are not capable of providing a very good picture, it is just that the fine detail of the HD image is missing.

On smallish displays of 50”or less, the lose of vertical res in not that noticeable, but on the 60 and 70” displays you will notice the difference.

And for all those Luddites who prefer CRT this link explains the principles of Toshiba's SED quite nicely:

http://softwareforhomes.com/SED-Toshiba-Ca...DTV-display.htm

If that is accurate I think SED will be the one for me, if I'm still alive when it arrives.

It is vet to be seen if SED is a significant step up from Plasma in other then contrast ratio / blacks.

The step up from SXRD technology will be even less, but one thing is certain, and that is it will cost a LOT more for a large screen display. So start saving, and be prepared to wait for several years.

lol

I thought you were starting to look at the JVC, yeah.

I went to HN this afternoon, and the sales guy is going to ring me on Thursday LG and Sony regarding the 71" LCoS and SXRD.

No, I think the JVC is not that good. I wasn't very impressed with it. Was watching Star Wars Ep3 on it and found the colours saturated, and brightness to be dull (picture was ver dark).

What was your impression of it?

I'd be very interested to hear what you have to say on the LG LCOS and Sony SXRD.

I am now rethinking whether plasma is a good option or not - due to the smaller size and possible burn-in.

I also think 70" is too big. I find 60" to be a perfect size - and why have to stretch the picture more than you should and introduce more artifacts.

A 60" SXRD would be the perfect pick - however if it going to be 10k I think that's a little TOO steep because at the end of the day it is just a TV set and we hardly watch any HD content - all we get are FTA shows such as Australia' funniest home video and Kerri-Anne Kennerly.

Since probably all my viewing - sattelite and DVD is SD - I was thinking that maybe Sony's Grand WEGA might be a better buy (until HD becomes the norm and by then we'll have SED, OLED etc to pick from) since it can be had for 5k. I have read great reviews about it being able to reproduce SD signals very well and better than other RPTVs

Your thoughts?

No, I think the JVC is not that good. I wasn't very impressed with it. Was watching Star Wars Ep3 on it and found the colours saturated, and brightness to be dull (picture was ver dark).

What was your impression of it?

I'd be very interested to hear what you have to say on the LG LCOS and Sony SXRD.

I am now rethinking whether plasma is a good option or not - due to the smaller size and possible burn-in.

I also think 70" is too big. I find 60" to be a perfect size - and why have to stretch the picture more than you should and introduce more artifacts.

A 60" SXRD would be the perfect pick - however if it going to be 10k I think that's a little TOO steep because at the end of the day it is just a TV set and we hardly watch any HD content - all we get are FTA shows such as Australia' funniest home video and Kerri-Anne Kennerly.

Since probably all my viewing - sattelite and DVD is SD - I was thinking that maybe Sony's Grand WEGA might be a better buy (until HD becomes the norm and by then we'll have SED, OLED etc to pick from) since it can be had for 5k. I have read great reviews about it being able to reproduce SD signals very well and better than other RPTVs

Your thoughts?

Not interested in the JVC, not after the issue that was reported.

I can only hope the 1080 sets turn up soon, I cant put up with my current situation for much longer.

I wouldnt be focusing on SED, that is a long, long way away.

Not interested in the JVC, not after the issue that was reported.

I can only hope the 1080 sets turn up soon, I cant put up with my current situation for much longer.

Well until LG comes to pick up the MW60 anyway.

I am worried that pricing for the 1080 sets might be a little steep.

What do you think of Sony's Grand WEGA?

Ok .. update on the colour saturation "problem"

JVC have offered to take the unit back.

It was explained to me that this is a "feature" of LCOS and LG or any of the other manufactures will not be able to change this.

Yer .. ok ... we will see on that one I suppose.

I am a bit stuffed now, as I just love it on some signals .. on others its garish.

Don't know if I will send it back yet ... I like the PQ otherwise .. just the slightly over saturated colour is the only problem I can see.

Will watch it a bit more ............

P.S. Wifie thinks I am being picky and she likes it.

Then again she has no taste ..... she married me after all.

Ok .. update on the colour saturation "problem"

JVC have offered to take the unit back.

It was explained to me that this is a "feature" of LCOS and LG or any of the other manufactures will not be able to change this.

Yer .. ok ... we will see on that one I suppose.

I am a bit stuffed now, as I just love it on some signals .. on others its garish.

Don't know if I will send it back yet ... I like the PQ otherwise .. just the slightly over saturated colour is the only problem I can see.

Will watch it a bit more ............

P.S. Wifie thinks I am being picky and she likes it.

Then again she has no taste ..... she married me after all.

Id send it back, get the credit and buy it again if you like it.

You can pick that set up for $6800, you'd have a grand to blow on anything that takes your fancy on the way out.

I hear a grand buys nice earings :blink:

I suppose I would then be in the same boat as you guys ..... not knowing what to pick ....

I don't like the idea of a HN store hanging onto my money untill something else comes along.

Anything could happen ..... bankrupcys ... adminatrative errors ... etc ....

hummmm.......

Edited by fireant2

I don't like the idea of a HN store hanging onto my money untill something else comes along.

hummmm.......

Yeh, the colour saturation is a problem. Don't know if this is a feature of LCOS or not, since I have only seen the JVC.

Don't know why you didn't see it in the first place, because I was watching Star Wars 3 on DVD connected via component and the colour saturation was very obvious as I said in another post. The brightness I found was also rather dull and lacking. Though at close viewing there is no SDE like on the LCDs - however my viewing will always be 3-4m so it's never been a problem for me.

I would also recommend for you to take it back .... is it possible to get a refund for it instead of a credit with HN - that way you can buy from any store or not buy at all if you decide to. Maybe wait for the SXRDs to come out.

I am also curious to look at other LCOS to see if this colour saturation really is a problem.

Just curious, are JVC or HN going to send some people to pick it up from you? And at their cost? - Because there is no way you're going to fit that mammoth in any car if they want you to bring it to them.

Yeh, the colour saturation is a problem. Don't know if this is a feature of LCOS or not, since I have only seen the JVC.

I only have the JVC fellas advice on this .. so we shall see.

Don't know why you didn't see it in the first place, because I was watching Star Wars 3 on DVD connected via component and the colour saturation was very obvious as I said in another post. The brightness I found was also rather dull and lacking. Though at close viewing there is no SDE like on the LCDs - however my viewing will always be 3-4m so it's never been a problem for me.

Brightness ? shite. I have to turn mine down .. it has 2 modes .. maybe you were watching in soft not bright .....

No .. SDE is almost zero and you have to get real close to see the pixels.

As for not picking it up .. umm.. the thing is its "perfect" colour on some DVD's etc .. Lord of the rings (watched all 3 dvds right through) was absolutely wonderfull.

The playschool that is on at the moment looks like a licorice allsort on high beam.

Just curious, are JVC or HN going to send some people to pick it up from you? And at their cost? - Because there is no way you're going to fit that mammoth in any car if they want you to bring it to them.

I would expect this to be at their cost entirely.

Edited by fireant2

I suppose I would then be in the same boat as you guys ..... not knowing what to pick ....

Yes, and it is a difficult decision too.

Here are my candidates so far:

- Plasma: either the Panasonic or Pioneer 50"

Pros: Excellent PQ, Fantastic blacks, sleek thin sexy bezel

Cons: Small (10" less than MW60), Risk of burn-in problem with 4:3

- Sony Grand WEGA 60"

Pros: Excellent PQ and colour reproduction, Ideal size (60")

Cons: Not true blacks, SDE (can be a problem for some people)

- Toshiba DLP 62"

Pros: Better blacks than LCD, Size

Cons: Rainbow (can be a problem for some people), Colours not as good as the Sony, dithering problem.

- Sony SXRD, LG LCOS

- Yet to see these 2, but main concern would be ETA and possible pricing

I am after a 60" unit as I think that is a good size. 70" will certainly fit in my lounge room easily but I don't think the extra 10" is necessary and better to have the picture to not stretch more than it already is since my source is mainly 576i SD. Also a 60" unit will most likely be 2k cheaper.

Brightness ? shite. I have to turn mine down .. it has 2 modes .. maybe you were watching in soft not bright .....

Perhaps that might not be the right word. What I mean is that the brightness does not appear to be very uniform. I don't know - it just seems rather dull to me - similar to the DLP sets.

hummmm.......

haha

I doubt old Harvey is going to go under anytime soon.

They havent got my money yet anyway, LG still has it until I ring tomorrow and get the credit statement.

I also have the original receipt incase.

Stardrifter: I'll let you know what the HN guy says tomorrow.

haha

I doubt old Harvey is going to go under anytime soon.

They havent got my money yet anyway, LG still has it until I ring tomorrow and get the credit statement.

I also have the original receipt incase.

Stardrifter: I'll let you know what the HN guy says tomorrow.

No Harvey might not .. but these stores are individually franchised .. who knows what shinannigans go on ?

Has an individual franchisee never gone bust ? ... I don't know and don't want to find out the hard way.

The store front means nothing .. that can still be there but with a different company pulling the strings .. happens all the time.