JVC HDZ70RX5 70" LCOS Rear Projection TV

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any 1080p LCOS models out in Australia yet?

In the US, JVC has the PRO models which are 1080p

There are no 1080p RP panels in Aus yet.

I just found out that not all of Sony's SXRD models have the dynamic iris, which is responsible for the terrific blacks people are reporting.

So that throws another spanner in the works, if Sony releases one of their previous SXRD panels, it'll have the resolution, but not the blacks.

Modles with Iris include: KDS-R50XBR1 and KDS-R60XBR1.

Well Well Well ....

Rang JVC today about the colour on the JVC.

Asked them if they could turn it down a tad.

Got told to ring a local service monkey.

Monkey says he then rang JVC ... and guess what ?

According to JVC Colour can't be turned down.

JVC Australia have told the Japanese and they have said that they are "aware" of the problem but can't do anything about it.

Rang my HN store and told them the sorry tale.

They are "looking into it" ....

The colours are fine on some signals but not on others .. it even varies from DVD to DVD ...

Looks like another shitfight if I don't get this fixed to my complete satisfaction.

Don't ya just love TV's

Overall its still 2 thumbs up for this set .. just need to be able to turn the colour down a little more on some signals ... otherwise I still want this TV !

Well Well Well ....

Rang JVC today about the colour on the JVC.

Asked them if they could turn it down a tad.

Got told to ring a local service monkey.

Monkey says he then rang JVC ... and guess what ?

According to JVC Colour can't be turned down.

JVC Australia have told the Japanese and they have said that they are "aware" of the problem but can't do anything about it.

Rang my HN store and told them the sorry tale.

They are "looking into it" ....

The colours are fine on some signals but not on others .. it even varies from DVD to DVD ...

Looks like another shitfight if I don't get this fixed to my complete satisfaction.

Don't ya just love TV's

Overall its still 2 thumbs up for this set .. just need to be able to turn the colour down a little more on some signals ... otherwise I still want this TV !

Sorry to hear the bad news, its hard to pick the right set.

From all I've read, the 720p JVC isnt the TV for me, dull blacks, resolution and now this problem has sealed it for me.

The 1080p varient is a different matter, but who knows when those will turn up.

From all I've read, the 720p JVC isnt the TV for me, dull blacks, resolution and now this problem has sealed it for me.

The rest of the set is fine for me .. blacks are great, resolution is crisp .. not perfect but still best I have seen on a set even a 60"

If they fix the colour it's a keeper for me.

I feel the same as you.

Went over to JB again today and had another look and it didn't do it for me.

Right now I am thinking of waiting for the 1080p ones - apparently they will release the 71" LG LCOS next month.

I still like the plasmas for their uniform colour and brightness across the screen and the blacks.

However I still can't decide on 2 issues.

1. Size - 10" smaller than my MW60

2. Burn-in - Watching 4:3 material 95% of the time is a worry

There are no 1080p RP panels in Aus yet.

I just found out that not all of Sony's SXRD models have the dynamic iris, which is responsible for the terrific blacks people are reporting.

So that throws another spanner in the works, if Sony releases one of their previous SXRD panels, it'll have the resolution, but not the blacks.

Modles with Iris include: KDS-R50XBR1 and KDS-R60XBR1.

You need to do a bit more homework Bronx :blink:

There are two SXRD chips in production.

The original chip used in the Qualia 004 front projector ($28,000USD) and 006 70” RPTV ($13,500USD) had a contrast ratio of about 3000:1, where as the newer and slightly smaller chips used in the Sony 50” and 60” XBR models have a contrast ratio of over 5000:1 (independently verified).

The Qualia 006 does not have a dynamic iris, but the MUCH cheaper Sony XBR models do.

Sony are now putting a dynamic iris in all there new RPTV’s, so it is almost certain that the model we will get WILL have a dynamic iris.

The addition of the dynamic iris to the XBR models increases the contrast ratio to over 13,000:1.

The SXRD’s are very bright TV’s, and the iris is used to control there very high light output down to a manageable level for subdued lighting viewing conditions.

The iris can be set manually to a fixed opening, which means that contrast ratio is that of the SXRD chips alone (5000:1), or used in dynamic mode to provide the full 13,000:1.

I personally have no need of the dynamic iris feature, as I view under subdued lighting all the time, and definitely do not want the blindingly bright maximum light output that dynamic iris operation and 13,000:1 contrast ratio would provide.

I would turn the dynamic iris off, and adjust the iris to the minimum setting, and also set the lamp to low power mode to lower the total light output even further.

This provides the best blacks, while still providing more then enough brightness.

5000:1 contrast ratio is plenty as long as blacks are truly black.

Almost all digital displays cant reproduce black, even though they may quote high contrast ratios, simply because they are optimised for maximum brightness.

Microdisplay RPTV’s without an adjustable iris are stuck in super bright mode all the time, which is fine for bright day time viewing, or a retail showroom, and they cant be turned down for darker viewing environments, which is very limiting.

RPTV’s with an adjustable iris allow optimising for both bright and dark viewing conditions, and gives them an advantage over Plasma and LCD flat panel displays.

Dynamic operation is not required.

I feel the same as you.

Went over to JB again today and had another look and it didn't do it for me.

Right now I am thinking of waiting for the 1080p ones - apparently they will release the 71" LG LCOS next month.

I still like the plasmas for their uniform colour and brightness across the screen and the blacks.

However I still can't decide on 2 issues.

1. Size - 10" smaller than my MW60

2. Burn-in - Watching 4:3 material 95% of the time is a worry

I know what you mean about the 10". Ive had the tape out three times in the last two days, measuring 127cm from one corner to the other. I drew a smear with my finger along and down the set, outlining the exact dimensions.

In all honesty, it isnt that bad. Id imagine within a week it wouldnt bother me, as size is relevent, and if you condiser the purpose of these displays, the PQ is worth it in my opinion.

And on burn in, theres a thread on the AVS forum concerning the issue, and the sets released in the last two years are very resistant to this. People have even gone as far as ignoring the break in period with no problems.

Im going back to HN tomorrow, and Domain t osee if they have a Pio 506 setup nicely.

You need to do a bit more homework Bronx :blink:

There are two SXRD chips in production.

The original chip used in the Qualia 004 front projector ($28,000USD) and 006 70” RPTV ($13,500USD) had a contrast ratio of about 3000:1, where as the newer and slightly smaller chips used in the Sony 50” and 60” XBR models have a contrast ratio of over 5000:1 (independently verified).

The Qualia 006 does not have a dynamic iris, but the MUCH cheaper Sony XBR models do.

Sony are now putting a dynamic iris in all there new RPTV’s, so it is almost certain that the model we will get WILL have a dynamic iris.

The addition of the dynamic iris to the XBR models increases the contrast ratio to over 13,000:1.

The SXRD’s are very bright TV’s, and the iris is used to control there very high light output down to a manageable level for subdued lighting viewing conditions.

The iris can be set manually to a fixed opening, which means that contrast ratio is that of the SXRD chips alone (5000:1), or used in dynamic mode to provide the full 13,000:1.

I personally have no need of the dynamic iris feature, as I view under subdued lighting all the time, and definitely do not want the blindingly bright maximum light output that dynamic iris operation and 13,000:1 contrast ratio would provide.

I would turn the dynamic iris off, and adjust the iris to the minimum setting, and also set the lamp to low power mode to lower the total light output even further.

This provides the best blacks, while still providing more then enough brightness.

5000:1 contrast ratio is plenty as long as blacks are truly black.

Almost all digital displays cant reproduce black, even though they may quote high contrast ratios, simply because they are optimised for maximum brightness.

Microdisplay RPTV’s without an adjustable iris are stuck in super bright mode all the time, which is fine for bright day time viewing, or a retail showroom, and they cant be turned down for darker viewing environments, which is very limiting.

RPTV’s with an adjustable iris allow optimising for both bright and dark viewing conditions, and gives them an advantage over Plasma and LCD flat panel displays.

Dynamic operation is not required.

Hey hey, Im just skipping all the waffle. :P

In the endthough, the price may sting, and they wont accept 1080p through HDMI.

On that note, I read in the LG thread, someone stated that the LG will take 1080p throught HDMI, I cant see it LG pulling it off if Sony and JVC cant.

Thoughts?

And on burn in, theres a thread on the AVS forum concerning the issue, and the sets released in the last two years are very resistant to this. People have even gone as far as ignoring the break in period with no problems.

Are you sure about that?

I can accept the smaller 10" - as long as there's no burn-in. I thought there was no burn-in on the MW60 but found the 4:3 vertical lines burnt-in.

This is my biggest worry about plasma as the sattelite feed I get is all 4:3 and I can't stand watching it stretched.

Im going back to HN tomorrow, and Domain t osee if they have a Pio 506 setup nicely.

I'd be interested in your report.

What the Sony CAN do that almost ALL other digital displays, be they 720p, 768p or 1080p cant, is properly deinterlace 1080i video using a motion adaptive system that maintains 1080 vertical resolution.

All the other displays use simple bob deinterlacing, which limits vertical resolution to only 540 with 1080i source.

That’s FARE more useful then 1080p input for video use, and makes the Sony’s one of the very few digital displays that can TRULY display 1080i HD TV.

What the Sony CAN do that almost ALL other digital displays, be they 720p, 768p or 1080p is properly deinterlace 1080i video using a motion adaptive system that maintains 1080 vertical resolution.

All the other displays use simple bob deinterlacing, which limits vertical resolution to only 540 with 1080i source.

That’s FARE more useful then 1080p input for video use, and makes the Sony’s one of the very few digital displays that can TRULY display 1080i HD TV.

What about handling of low quality SD signals - as most of the current material are.

Does the Sony do as good a job at scaling as say the Fujitsu plasmas with the AV2 chip

The scaling in the Sony is very good by all accounts, but you must expect to see more defects in the source with a 60 or 70” screen compared to a little 50”.

The Fujitsu Plasma’s, or any Plasma for that matter cant do black, and that kills them for me, as well as the fact that they are much to small and cant display 1080i.

The scaling in the Sony is very good by all accounts, but you must expect to see more defects in the source with a 60 or 70” screen compared to a little 50”.

The Fujitsu Plasma’s, or any Plasma for that matter cant do black, and that kills them for me, as well as the fact that they are much to small and cant display 1080i.

Do you know if they are on demo anywhere - the Sony store maybe

I'd like to take a look at them.

Any idea on price roughly?

What do you mean the plasmas can't do blacks ..... I've always thought that the plasma blacks have always been better than the rear projections

The SXRD’s have the deepest blacks of any digital TV released to date, and much better then the best Plasma’s according to reports.

The only thing that has beeper blacks is a good CRT RPTV.

Availability is hopefully early next year at an unknown price, but maybe around $10,000 for a 70”, or even less.

The LG was on display at the Vegas CES and was not in the same class at the Sony and JVC product, but it will be cheaper then the Sony.

The Sony is the one to beat, according to all that have seen them.

Is the JVC the one that is discussed in this thread - and is already out in stores?

I did not find it all that impressive.

I'm interested in the Sony, but am worried about the price. I cannot afford 10k - can only afford 8k.

Knowing Sony, their products are always higher priced than its competitors.

No, the JVC available here is the old 720p model.

I have no idea when, if ever we will see the 1080p JVC here.

You get what you pay for with the Sony, even if it is more expensive.

I normally stay well away from Sony products, but the SXRD’s cant be ignored.

Ownen, I ahve always been under the impression that for video display 720p is superior to 1080i, is it?

Stardrifter: Remember I said I would checkout my MW to see what settings I have? If you have paytv you can change the aspect ratio. If you have Austar, its the blue button (far right).

Ownen, I ahve always been under the impression that for video display 720p is superior to 1080i, is it?

Stardrifter: Remember I said I would checkout my MW to see what settings I have? If you have paytv you can change the aspect ratio. If you have Austar, its the blue button (far right).

I have an asian sattelite service and the feed is 4:3 - you can't change it.

The only thing you can do is to set the TV to 16:9 mode but everything appears stretched and "fat"

Even if you have Austar, doesn't changing the aspect ratio on the decoder be the same as setting the TV to 16:9?

If the material itself is 4:3, you can't change it to 16:9 without stretching or cropping the picture.

Nope, by changing the aspect within Austar the picture appears normal.

Also, I view the free to air amterial in 16:9, and it also appears normal, I have no idea why.

When I first bought the MW, I tried the wreslting in 16:9 and it was as you say, 'fat'.

Maybe your Austar feed is similar to the FTA feed.

The FTA signal is broadcast in a 16:9 format - so when the material is 4:3 it will automatically letterbox with side black bars and when the material is 16:9 it will automatically fill the screen - unlike with DVD whenever you view 4:3 material you have to switch back to 4:3 mode.

My sattelite feed is only broadcast in 4:3 mode - there is no option to select 16:9 - so the only way to get 16:9 is to set this mode on the TV.

However, if your material is 4:3 format - you will have the black bars on the side regardless of whether you set the Austar to 16:9 mode or not.

The only way to view 4:3 material without black bars (ie fill the screen) is to stretch it to 16:9 mode in which everything appears fat .... or have it cropped (ie zoomed into the picture and have parts of the top and bottom chopped off to compensate for filling the side black bars and not having to stretch the picture).

At least 95% of my viewing is from the sattelite which the signal is ONLY 4:3 mode and the source material too are only 4:3 format. I do not like to view the picture in the stretched mode of in the cropped mode to "get rid of" the black bars. There is no way to view a 4:3 picture on a 16:9 TV without either stretched or cropped picture.

This is the biggest worry about getting a plasma - having the side bars burnt-in from watching too much 4:3 material. I think it is silly if you buy an expensive screen and have to compensate by watching a fat image or butchered image just to protect the screen.