Grand Wega - Wait for the new one or not?

has anyone got the measurements of the pioneer 50" screen?

yes it 50" but what is the height & length of the screen as its looks smaller than other 50" screens in stores.

Size is always the diagonal measurement of the viewable screen.

I had the MW60 sitting next to it, its quite remarkable how much space just the bottom silver panel took up.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so theres no problem with with the 50" plasma? worried if i go down in size will miss the extra 10".

but looking at the lg your right the whole set does look bigger cause of the non screen section.

Personally, I find that you adjust to the size of a set, and fairly quickly you percieve that as 'normal'.

I too was very attracted to the large screen RP LCD offers. But after seeing its short comings, I could never put up with the blacks, SDE or smearing again.

this was at JB Hi-Fi Nunawading earlier in the week.

after looking at the 50" and 60" at several stores over the last few days I'm still undecided. as much as I'd love a 50" screen for just over 3k, I'm not sure I can deal with the compromise. I've played around with the settings alot, hooked up different DVD players/STBs/cables (all running through HDMI) and the PQ is nice but just not up to scratch when I look a few metres away at a Pana or Pio 50" plasma to compare

this was at JB Hi-Fi Nunawading earlier in the week.

after looking at the 50" and 60" at several stores over the last few days I'm still undecided. as much as I'd love a 50" screen for just over 3k, I'm not sure I can deal with the compromise. I've played around with the settings alot, hooked up different DVD players/STBs/cables (all running through HDMI) and the PQ is nice but just not up to scratch when I look a few metres away at a Pana or Pio 50" plasma to compare

Yes my thoughts exactly on the PQ. The Sony one is "nice" as you put it but not as good as the pana and pio 50" plasmas - however the plasmas are nearly twice the price.

I reckon 2006 will see a big drop in 50" plasma prices, so I reckon maybe get the sony as a temporary solution and wait for SED in 2008. Or even if you really wanted a 50" plasma, you can either wait 12 months for much cheaper pricing on 50" plasmas .... or get the sony now and get the plasma in 1-2 years as well and have 2 units for roughly the same price as you would pay for the plasma right now.

At $4299 the 60" is definitely worth it over a $3500 50"

Sony Central has the 60" at $5999 with the stand. 50" is $3999 with the stand

true, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to spend more than 3k on a set that I'm not totally happy with. Pana 50" can be had now for around $5600-$5700 (not including warranty), which isn't quite twice the price, but it's still alot more.

I'll more than likely wait a few more months and see what happens with the plasma prices closer to mid-year. If I can get a Pana for around 5k or even slightly under I'll jump on it. I'm not huge on the idea of getting the Sony as a stand-in TV, I want at least a good 4-5 years out of the next panel I buy even if it isn't the 1080p standard that plasmas will be soon.

But then, that said I might find a Sony 3LCD that's hooked up and calibrated to look fantastic in one store and be sold on it, but at the moment I don't think that'll happen

true, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to spend more than 3k on a set that I'm not totally happy with. Pana 50" can be had now for around $5600-$5700 (not including warranty), which isn't quite twice the price, but it's still alot more.

I'll more than likely wait a few more months and see what happens with the plasma prices closer to mid-year. If I can get a Pana for around 5k or even slightly under I'll jump on it. I'm not huge on the idea of getting the Sony as a stand-in TV, I want at least a good 4-5 years out of the next panel I buy even if it isn't the 1080p standard that plasmas will be soon.

But then, that said I might find a Sony 3LCD that's hooked up and calibrated to look fantastic in one store and be sold on it, but at the moment I don't think that'll happen

Have you been to a Sony Central store?

They normally have them hooked up properly and the sales reps are usually better than your run-of-the-mill Hardly Normal rep. You can ask them to let you play with it - hook up a dvd via component to see.

I think the actual "picture" is a very good quality - except the viewing angle, and brightness/contrast uniformity of the overall image across the screen are the major telling factors that it is inferior to plasma

If the pana is under $5k it might be worth considering - but everywhere I've looked it is ticketed at $6699 or $6999

The cheapest was at a HN/megamart that had $5999 but was the display unit

• 4 weeks later...

Getting back to the problems with the hairline crack in the lens that have been reported with these models in the US, I have just noticed on the terms and conditions of the Extended Warranty that came with my unit:

"4 Replacement projector lamp and the optical block assembly are not covered during the Extended warranty period"

If is the case, it would seem:

a) to be a pretty good indication that Sony expects issues with the optical block assembly, &

:blink: it is a useless Extended warranty as going by the US costs quoted to replace the optical block assemblies it represents a fair proportion of the purchase price.

Feeling a little nervous now...

Cheers (lack thereof),

Bruiser

What extended warranty is that? The Sony one?

Thankfully, while there is the usual globe exclusion in my extended warranty, there is no mention of anything to do with the rest of the optical assembly being excluded. I suppose though, like all warranties/insurance, you never know for sure until you have to make a claim. :blink:

Yes, it is on the Warranty card that comes with the RPTV.

I bought the Sony warranty (direct from Sony). In the documentation that arrived after, there's all the terms and conditions with no mention of globes in the exclusions.

I suppose, like Hyper Reality says, you won't really know till you have to use it (or hopefully not!)

so the sxrd sets won't be out until about august/september ?

and the price will be about $10,000 for a 60" unit....?

I wouldn't go by that info yet. My sources at Sony told me that it wasn't till they spoke with Sony Japan last week until they'd have any firm info on '06 product launch dates. Same goes for the pricing, pure speculation at the moment. I am hoping to hear more tomorrow when I catch up with some people from Sony.

• 3 weeks later...

Globe is not covered in waranty its considered a consuable device. Also the new SXRD screens should be with us in Sep. I love the new kfe50a10 design looks fantastic but im hording my money till the 50" SXRD hits our shores hopefully it has built in HD tunner. One can only hope. As for price one can only guess my estamation is 5K-6K for a 50.

Show me a 50'" plasma thats 1920X1080 plays 1080p material never gets screen burn or dead pixles and ill have a look.

Screen burn is an issue with plasma that I am not comfortable with too - and is what is turning me off plasma

But I don't understand the obsession with 1920x1080 ...... tell me what sort of material do you view that is at that resolution?

Maybe 80% of stuff people watch is SD - DVD/TV - meaning 576i ............ so a 1366x768 resolution is quite sufficent.

Of course if you plan to use it for computer connection that's a different matter.

HD-DVD is probably 5 years away from becoming mainstream. 9HD broadcasts in 1080i, 7HD in 576p .... so plasma resolutions are sufficient for the "supposed" HD that broadcasters are calling it.

I just think 6k for a rear projection is too much.

The average mum and dad won't know the difference in all the different resolutions .... let alone what the heck is SXRD ..... they'll just see same price for a 50" rear pro or 50" sexy plasma - no question which they would pick, and I would think the plasma's bright picture will probably look better in the shop

The current 50" 3LCD is about half the price of the same size plasma so there is a market for it in price/size

But if the SXRD is the same price as a plasma I can't see how it can sell

At that price, you may as well get a plasma - 50" pana is below 6k

I could turn that around by saying, why buy a Plasma with inferior blacks, markedly inferior shadow detail and contrast ratio, as well as much lower resolution, just to get a slim form factor.

People who are interested in quality are very interested in the SXRD’s, and they are strong sellers in the US.

At 50”, the resolution advantage of the SXRD is not so significant, but at larger sizes it most certainly is.

The complete freedom of SDE (Screen Door Effect) at close viewing distances is a strong selling point of SXRD technology, as is shadow detail and resolution.

It would appear that Sony have wisely given up on the 50” SXRD, and will only offer a 55” and 70”, and leave LCD to cover the smaller sizes and cheaper price points.

1920x1080 res really comes into its own in larger screen sizes.

You could not give me a 60” Plasma, due to inadequate blacks and SDE, but I am very interested in a 70” SXRD, even if it costs well over $10k.

Owen well said,

I know for a fact that a blu-ray player is comming out in the next 1 or 2 months with the price point of $999??? So HD movies is closer than you think. And as you yourself said if your conecting a com the extra res I great to have. So all in all if I want to play games, conect my computer, want black blacks I would much rather spend my $$ on SXRD then plasma.

Screen burn is an issue with plasma that I am not comfortable with too - and is what is turning me off plasma

But I don't understand the obsession with 1920x1080 ...... tell me what sort of material do you view that is at that resolution?

Maybe 80% of stuff people watch is SD - DVD/TV - meaning 576i ............ so a 1366x768 resolution is quite sufficent.

Of course if you plan to use it for computer connection that's a different matter.

HD-DVD is probably 5 years away from becoming mainstream. 9HD broadcasts in 1080i, 7HD in 576p .... so plasma resolutions are sufficient for the "supposed" HD that broadcasters are calling it.

I just think 6k for a rear projection is too much.

If you've seen real HD material on 1920x1080, you'll quick understand what the 'obsession' is. As for HD becoming 'mainstream', who needs a mass market to enjoy it? For time being it's going to be in the domain of the enthusiast. It's also not all about watching TV broadcasts. HD-DVD is due late next month in the US and Blu-ray a couple of months later. There is already plenty of HD material out there for the enthusiast HTPC user or soon Mediabox user to get a hold of as well. On the same tip no ones forcing people to 'jump the gun' and get into HD, you could quite easily drift along with the mass market until HD becomes 'mainstream'.

How is 6k too much for a rear projector? Does the fact that SXRD TVs method of display being rear projection make them worth less than say a 50" plasma? I've seen way too much stigma attached to the words 'rear pro' generally over the years. Some comments have been justifiable with some of the digital rear pro technology to date though. However, CRT rear pros have held their own against most other display types for many years for example, just ask Owen or myself.