Where in the world is the SA-XR55?

Did a ring-around on the weekend trying to find a place that either has one of Panasonic's SA-XR55 in stock or on display, and no luck.

One place offered to order it but at Panasonic's recommended retail price.

I'm aware of a couple of places down South, like Digital Centre and Kent HiFi.

But, where in Brisbane?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went to JB and ask if they can order it in and then price matched it with Digital Entertainment Centre. This is how I got my XR55 for around $660. I did rang up Panasonic around mid August and they said that they need to back order it (from Overses - I think Malaysia since that is where the unit is made ) if the retailer is willing to order it in. According to the customer service representative this would usually would take two weeks or so. Luckily, I didn't have to wait that long since JB had it in stock in their distribution centre (not sure if there is any more) and the unit came within two working days.

I don't think they are widely distributed here as in the U.S. where most of the raving reviews come from. Part of which could be because of buyers ignorance of the new technology used, the small size / weight of the unit and the name Panasonic which is not known for its audio products. This leads to the lack of demand for the unit and therefore the limited distribution. Talking to a sales representative at HN, he said they did batch ordered the SA-XR30 in and are having trouble selling the unit off. Thus when asking about the availability of the XR55 or XR70 he said that they would not probably batch order them in, however would order them in if the customer requested it. If you go to your local electrical department store like HN, DSE , JB or Myer MegaMart they would all tend to ask why would you buy a Panasonic AVR while there are other brands like Pioneer, Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz and Denon in the AVR market. Obviously they do not the great potential of this AVR, especially since it has been mentioned by many that it oubeats the brands mentioned in SQ performance when A/B tested.

Thanks DigitalHT. I have read the 854-page (well, not quite) thread on the AVS Forum. Very interesting read.

Will be doing the rounds this weekend, and will have a look for speakers to match this unit. Will only use 5.1, and not something huge. We'll see.

For now, I'd like to listen to one first.

A guy from Megamart was very helpful and offered to chase one up, even though they're closing up soon, but he'll be moving to a Myer store.

Timmoie, I've had a bad experience dealing with Chandlers, where a guy tried to tell me that SCART-to-5-RCA cables don't exist. Anyway, the price you got is pretty good, I say.

Wilco, have a look at the AVS Forum thread (link above), there are a lot of comparisons and links in it.

The pros towards the Panasonic XR55 against the Yamaha RX557 includes:

- Digital amplification (vs. analogue amplification) for clearer sound due to greater power efficiency around 90%, which also reduces heat.

- No DAC required before amplification, resulting to less sound distortion.

- 7.1 vs. 6.1.

- Dual amp technology, using two amps bridged to drive the fronts (4 amps in total for the fronts) in stereo for more current for demanding speakers.

- Tri-amp mode, using 3 amps to drive bi-wirable speakers (6 amps in total for the fronts) in stereo for more current for demanding speakers.

- High power output as independently tested to output 86W for each channels driven @ 8 Ohms 1khz (even though rated at 6 ohms by Panasonic) and around 97W for stereo @ 8 Ohms 1khz. Other manufacturers were independently tested to be lower e.g Yamaha RX450 was tested to output only 34W for each channels driven @8 Ohms 1khz from the specified 85W.

- lighter and smaller size as large heat sinks are not required becuase of the digital amp design.

- Wide frequency response up tp 88kHz, while other AVRs start to roll off around 44kHz.

- Uses Varible Gain Digital Amplifier (VGDA) and pure water capacitors which allows for clean power current for clear sound even at low volumes.

- Accepts 192kHz upsampled PCMs through digital connection.

- Can be had for around $660.

email robclarkson@birite.com.au (Birite Electrical, Springwood, Brisbane)...they quoted me $669 about 2 weeks ago (price may have changed). Let me know how you go. I will be ordering one soon hopefully.

Daniel.

Did a ring-around on the weekend trying to find a place that either has one of Panasonic's SA-XR55 in stock or on display, and no luck. 

But, where in Brisbane?

thanks quave and DigitalHT

made it soo much easier to understand rather than just looking @ specs. (yes im n00b, but not that bad :blink:)

i was looking @ the xr70 too. well, i hope my friend @ harldy normal can do me close to wholesale price. cheers. if he does, will inform. this is in melb btw. but im still researching and search for other amps.

Guys,

I've owned XR45, XR50 and XR55.

I also have NAD 753 and my speakers are Elac 204.2 bookshelves and center, with ribbon tweaters that go up to 50mHz.

With XR45 and XR50 I could definitely hear the difference to NAD - the pannys sounded more punchy and detailed, especially in HT.

So, I took XR55 home and hooked it up ...

I put my favourite test DVD on (Blade III), and ... nothing

The sound was even less detailed than my NAD which is a very "polite" and neutral amp when it comes to action movies.

Do you understand? It's not my personal taste, I know that you would say that I "prefer" the NAD sound - I'm talking about COMPARING the sound - if there was any difference in XR55 sound, it was to the WORSE !!!

I was sitting there, staring at this butt ugly XR55, and thinking that I could just as well have some cheapo "all in one" boxes playing ... it sounded so dull and lifeless.

Besides, the dual amp relay doesn't always switch on when you toggle between DVD player and PC which were both connected to XR55 through digital coax cables.

XR55 = CRAP ... and I speak from experience, not from reading reviews.

Bottom line - I took it back to the store and ordered the new JVC XR-D701 which costs twice as much, but has OSD, HDMI (with upconversion) and WIRELESS network adapter, so I can listen to MP3 on my laptop. Expecting to take delivery next week .. watch this space :blink:

But, where in Brisbane?

In Adelaide its the same.

I couldn't find an XR55 anywhere.

HN offered to order one in for me for $750 cash price.

In the end I ordered one from Gawler Retravision for $650 cash.

I should be getting it any day now.

Now I just need to get some speakers.....

Guys,

I've owned XR45, XR50 and XR55.

I also have NAD 753 and my speakers are Elac 204.2 bookshelves and center, with ribbon tweaters that go up to 50mHz.

With XR45 and XR50 I could definitely hear the difference to NAD - the pannys sounded more punchy and detailed, especially in HT.

So, I took XR55 home and hooked it up ...

I put my favourite test DVD on (Blade III), and ... nothing

The sound was even less detailed than my NAD which is a very "polite" and neutral amp when it comes to action movies.

Do you understand? It's not my personal taste, I know that you would say that I "prefer" the NAD sound - I'm talking about COMPARING the sound - if there was any difference in XR55 sound, it was to the WORSE !!!

I was sitting there, staring at this butt ugly XR55, and thinking that I could just as well have some cheapo "all in one" boxes playing ... it sounded so dull and lifeless.

Besides, the dual amp relay doesn't always switch on when you toggle between DVD player and PC which were both connected to XR55 through digital coax cables.

XR55 = CRAP ... and I speak from experience, not from reading reviews.

Bottom line - I took it back to the store and ordered the new JVC XR-D701 which costs twice as much, but has OSD, HDMI (with upconversion) and WIRELESS network adapter, so I can listen to MP3 on my laptop. Expecting to take delivery next week .. watch this space :blink:

Sorry to hear the Panasonic XR55 didn't do it for you sound wise. Let us know how the JVC RX-D701 compares against the Panny once you get it all set up. By the way Sound and Vision Magazine did a review of JVC RX-D702, which also compares against the Panasonic SA-XR70 (similar to XR55). The review can be found here.

And again, as danielt did, I went and got myself the SA-XR55.

For anyone interested, I went through The Electrical Discounter (http://www.theelectricdiscounter.com.au). Quoted at $669. Ordered late on Thursday afternoon, got a call Monday saying it's ready to pick up.

And again again, I'll be looking for a speaker set for a 5.1 setup for it with around the same budget available. Have my eye on the Polk Audio RM-6000 or RM-6750. There were also a couple on sale at Todds HiFi, a Yamaha NSP246 or NSP436C.

Have a couple of good leads from the threads today, will read about those too. :P

:blink:

And again, as danielt did, I went and got myself the SA-XR55.

For anyone interested, I went through The Electrical Discounter (http://www.theelectricdiscounter.com.au).  Quoted at $669.  Ordered late on Thursday afternoon, got a call Monday saying it's ready to pick up.

And again again, I'll be looking for a speaker set for a 5.1 setup for it with around the same budget available.  Have my eye on the Polk Audio RM-6000 or RM-6750.  There were also a couple on sale at Todds HiFi, a Yamaha NSP246 or NSP436C.

Have a couple of good leads from the threads today, will read about those too. :P

:blink:

Any feed back on the receiver guys?

I've been watching Digital HT's posts on this Panasonic, and it looks very interesting for my purposes.

Would appreciate your take on your new toys

Hope you are enjoying them!

An update...

My search for speakers ended last night when we found a Jamo 5.1 set at the new JB HiFi at the Logan Hyperdome in Brisbane.

Nice little speakers and big subwoofer. The guy there, Travis, explained a few terms to us and hooked up a few speakers for us to compare. Of course, you could go mad listening to the Dali, Jensen, etc that are a few times the price, but hey, THERE IS a budget.

I can't remember the model number, but they have "320.3" in it. We got them for $880, including speaker cable, optical audio cable and subwoofer cable.

Can't give an update on how it sounds bcos I haven't hooked it up yet!! I know, I'm a nonghead, but it's a weekend job now :blink:

Hi I tried out my XR55 at a mate's place, just in stereo mode with some music (MP3s). He has a analogue amp and was surprised by its size and lack of weight!

To both of us, it sounds great, good clarity, but I think a lot has to do with the quality of your speakers

Without a heap of amps to compare it to, it is difficult to decide if the sound quality is a lot worse or a lot better than other amps, but to me I am happy with the purchase and SQ, and can't wait to get some speakers of my own

One thing I did notice was his banana plugs didn't fit into the back of this XR55, so I am not sure if that's a panasonic thing or if you can get different size banana plugs, or if the XR55 isn't designed for banana plugs

I did see the XR70 in a local retailer on special at $769 but wasn't sure if that was worth the extra $$$. The XR70 does have HDMI however but I am not sure how many other features it has over the XR55.

Daniel.

Any feed back on the receiver guys?

I've been watching Digital HT's posts on this Panasonic, and it looks very interesting for my purposes.

Would appreciate your take on your new toys

Hope you are enjoying them!

Hi I tried out my XR55 at a mate's place, just in stereo mode with some  music (MP3s). He has a analogue amp and was surprised by its size and lack of weight!

To both of us, it sounds great, good clarity, but I think a lot has to do with the quality of your speakers

Without a heap of amps to compare it to, it is difficult to decide if the sound quality is a lot worse or a lot better than other amps, but to me I am happy with the purchase and SQ, and can't wait to get some speakers of my own

One thing I did notice was his banana plugs didn't fit into the back of this XR55, so I am not sure if that's a panasonic thing or if you can get different size banana plugs, or if the XR55 isn't designed for banana plugs

I did see the XR70 in a local retailer on special at $769 but wasn't sure if that was worth the extra $$$. The XR70 does have HDMI however but I am not sure how many other features it has over the XR55.

Daniel.

Thanx guys!

Happy hooking up, and please report back you findings - exciting isn't it?

Hi all, new member here from Victoria, B.C. Canada.

I have been reading these posts about the RX55 and can't believe the prices you are paying. In the US they go for $230 USD + shipping. see:

http://www.epinions.com/PANASONIC_SA_XR55S...r_~asc/sec_~wtb

Don't any of these vendors ship to Australia? I presume the Panny will work on 220V/50Hz but for the life of me can't find that spec.

Russell

Go figure that there Double the price here, i also was reading alot of posts about this

Receiver and was thinking thats great ,might get me one of those here in Aus,should only set me back 370 odd what a steal.

I also know that there are 2 major factors that can make or break your decision on

the Pani

1/ takes awhile to burn in,give it at least 3 days before you go back and compare.

2/ Speaker selection is crucial,

So far i can say that the Acsends sound good with it,lets hope that they will at least

deliver os.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/

also follow this rather large/funny thread on this subject.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/160136.html

Enjoy

• 10 months later...
Hi I tried out my XR55 at a mate's place, just in stereo mode with some music (MP3s). He has a analogue amp and was surprised by its size and lack of weight!

Daniel.

Hi Daniel,

I am also interesting in getting a Panasonic XR70. Would you mind tell me which retailer offer the XR70 at $769? which state are you in? Thanks.