Sign in to follow this  
NevB

Waiting for LG 71" LCoS 1080p!

What was the price tag?

$8999.

This has also shown up in the latest Clive Anthonys brisbane catalogue for $8999.

Can someone confirm soon as they see one of these sets in the Sydney area. I have been waiting for these things to turn up since I last heard from LG they were 4-5 weeks away back in mid Jan.

Thanks!

I went into Harvey Norman last week and asked when they expect them.

They replied: "No idea"

Subsequently, I sent an email to LG last week.

Today they sent a response that said: "Ask at your local Bing Lee/Harvey Norman store"

We don't even have Bing Lee stores in Victoria. Talk about a run around.

A bit like Sony saying that they can't say when to expect the SXRD - "too confidential and sensitive".

I went into Harvey Norman last week and asked when they expect them.

They replied: "No idea"

Subsequently, I sent an email to LG last week.

Today they sent a response that said: "Ask at your local Bing Lee/Harvey Norman store"

We don't even have Bing Lee stores in Victoria. Talk about a run around.

A bit like Sony saying that they can't say when to expect the SXRD - "too confidential and sensitive".

My info on the SXRD was still along the lines of 3rd Quarter release. I am still waiting for a more concrete answer from Sony on that though.

My HN contact says definitely in the next couple of weeks for the LG, apparently the stands had already arrived. I was just hoping that they may have hit Sydney by now on their way to arriving in the regional markets.

Also now seen it at Clive Peters Aspley in Brisbane. You guys have Clive Peters down there ?

Can't see why Brissy would get them first.

Got to play a little with this unit as it was hooked to a aerial. I didn't have the remote.

When changing the channels the interface is just like my LG 5100 stb.

Watching SD channels at 2 metres is about the same as a plamsa in PQ which is good considering it's 70".

Couldn't see any SDE but I must admit I didn't try hard. What I did look for was SSE. Really couldn't see bright spots as I moved around. Unit also had great view angles for a rear pro TV and all is pretty good until you reach the viewing angle cut off. Also noticed the advertising with the TV is saying 1080p.

Also now seen it at Clive Peters Aspley in Brisbane. You guys have Clive Peters down there ?

Can't see why Brissy would get them first.

Got to play a little with this unit as it was hooked to a aerial. I didn't have the remote.

When changing the channels the interface is just like my LG 5100 stb.

Watching SD channels at 2 metres is about the same as a plamsa in PQ which is good considering it's 70".

Couldn't see any SDE but I must admit I didn't try hard. What I did look for was SSE. Really couldn't see bright spots as I moved around. Unit also had great view angles for a rear pro TV and all is pretty good until you reach the viewing angle cut off. Also noticed the advertising with the TV is saying 1080p.

Nope no Clive Peters down here dude.

Good feedback there thanks. It would be highly unusual to see any sign of screen door on a LCOS or SXRD device. I also think the much talked about SSE effect is probably a little overhyped by the guys on the AVSForum, as I couldn't see this effect on several Sony SXRD displays I checked out in hawaii back in Jan. Let's hope that 1080p doesn't just mean display res, but rather actually input acceptance. Was there any HD or HD loop material to look at when you flicked around the channels? It would be a bit a waste only being able to look at SD on this display.

how does this compare to the sxrd sets ?

price ?

pic quality?

viewing angle ?

contrast ?

Sorry but how can you ask this question? SXRD rear pro is not available here yet.

Having seen the US version, I might be in a position to comment when the LG's arrive in my area. Mind you I don't like making compartives based on memory...

If you'd have scrolled up the page you'd have seen the Clive Peters price is $8999.

You'll have to wait till someone get some serious viewing time to look at the LG before in depth comments can be made.

I think selze answered the viewing angle question for you.

I think you need to read posts more carefully before blurting out a bunch of questions like that. We all want to know what the set is like too, except I'd rather see it with my own eyes being as it is arriving in shops as we speak.

price ?

pic quality?

viewing angle ?

contrast ?

The Sony will be more expensive, it’s a Sony after all, but prices will have fallen by the time the Sony is released.

It’s a safe bet the SXRD will have the best picture quality.

Viewing angle? Who knows, both are probably very good.

The SXRD does have a better contrast ratio, and actually measured a little better then Sony’s quoted specs at 5000:1 with dynamic iris disabled, and over 10,000:1 with dynamic iris enabled.

The Sony will be more expensive, it’s a Sony after all, but prices will have fallen by the time the Sony is released.

It’s a safe bet the SXRD will have the best picture quality.

Viewing angle? Who knows, both are probably very good.

The SXRD does have a better contrast ratio, and actually measured a little better then Sony’s quoted specs at 5000:1 with dynamic iris disabled, and over 10,000:1 with dynamic iris enabled.

Owen, we are both fans(and in my case an owner) of SXRD, but I have to point out the LG LCOS is also quoted on the website as having 10000:1 contrast. I think they may have 'pinched' the DI concept from Sony to get to that figure, but there's no mention of it in the other specs.

I personally think the LG is expensive for an LG, or the MSRP is at least. What wheeling and dealing does to the street price is another question all together. If I see it and decide it's worth getting instead of waiting for the Sony or even as a hold over, I'll be pushing my HN and Domayne contacts for a very close to the margin price that's for sure.

Yes I did look at the Channel 7 HD loop and all other channels. The clive peters in Aspley has heaps of lighting so PQ is a bit hard to say. As good or slightly better than any plasma, remembering it's a 70" TV. Didn't look as sharp as the one at HN but that unit was nearly in complete darkness and as stated running a HD-DVD demo loop. If I remember rightly the advertising also stated 3000:1 and 1080p input. If I get a chance I'll drop in again.

On the price side. Clive Peters and HN ticket price was $8999. But a strange thing, latest Clive Anthony's catalogue on one page has the TV alone for $8998 and 3 pages later has a package for the TV , new LG 160gb HD-PVR and LG DVD with 5.1 speaker system also for $8999.

I would not put any faith in manufacturers contrast ratio numbers, especially LG’s

The numbers I quoted for the US model SXRD’s are from an independent test, not just Sonys numbers.

The second generation chip used in the US SXRD’s has a genuine 5000:1 contrast ratio without any dynamic iris trickery.

From memory the measured contrast ratio with dynamic iris in operation was 14,000:1

The chips used in the LG are not made by LG and are only quoted as having a 3500:1 contrast ratio by the manufacturer (SpatiaLight I believe), so LG can claim what ever they like with the dynamic iris in operation, but the real contrast ration without dynamic iris is not as good as the Sony.

One of the first things I will do if I get an SXRD is to disable the dynamic iris, and lock it to its smallest setting to give the best possibly blacks.

I will also set the lamp to low power mode to further improve black levels.

If the blacks are still not as good as I would wont, I will remove the iris assembly and manufacture a fixed iris of a smaller size to reduce light output even further.

That may sound a bit extreme, but the display has to do what I need it to, and that means providing blacks that are black. Sony can stick their warranty where it fits.

I very much hope that the SXRD’s we get will have a better screen material then the current US SXRD’s.

A glass screen like the Qualia 006 would be nice, as it is much better as far as SSE goes.

I would not put any faith in manufacturers contrast ratio numbers, especially LG’s

The numbers I quoted for the US model SXRD’s are from an independent test, not just Sonys numbers.

The second generation chip used in the US SXRD’s has a genuine 5000:1 contrast ratio without any dynamic iris trickery.

From memory the measured contrast ratio with dynamic iris in operation was 14,000:1

The chips used in the LG are not made by LG and are only quoted as having a 3500:1 contrast ratio by the manufacturer (SpatiaLight I believe), so LG can claim what ever they like with the dynamic iris in operation, but the real contrast ration without dynamic iris is not as good as the Sony.

One of the first things I will do if I get an SXRD is to disable the dynamic iris, and lock it to its smallest setting to give the best possibly blacks.

If the blacks are still not as good as I would wont, I will remove the iris assembly and manufacture a fixed iris of a smaller size to reduce light output even further.

That may sound a bit extreme, but the display has to do what I need it to, and that means providing blacks that are black. Sony can stick their warranty where it fits.

I very much hope that the SXRD’s we get will have a better screen material then the current US SXRD’s.

A glass screen like the Qualia 006 would be nice, as it is much better as far as SSE goes.

Surely you wouldnt purchase one knowing it had sub par blacks.

Yes, as long as blacks are good to start with, and they are.

It’s just that they are not up to CRT standards, no available digital display is.

The SXRD is very bright, and can therefore afford to loose a lot of light output in order to get improved blacks.

Light output from the SXRD is about 30ftL, which is three times what I need, so I can use a very small iris to reduce the light output to about 1 third of standard. That should improve blacks significantly, and give close to CRT blacks.

At least with a projection display you have some control over black levels.

With Plasma and LCD flat panels you are stuck with what you get.

Yes, as long as blacks are good to start with, and they are.

It’s just that they are not up to CRT standards, no available digital display is.

The SXRD is very bright, and can therefore afford to loose a lot of light output in order to get improved blacks.

Light output from the SXRD is about 30ftL, which is three times what I need, so I can use a very small iris to reduce the light output to about 1 third of standard. That should improve blacks significantly, and give close to CRT blacks.

At least with a projection display you have some control over black levels.

With Plasma and LCD flat panels you are stuck with what you get.

Is it possible to modify something to make the lamp less bright instead of custom making an iris? The reason I ask, is surely this would extend the service life of the bulb?

hi ozhtfan

i asked the questions as i thought it possible that someone here may have viewed both overseas, or at a tradeshow.....

i've been overseas quite a bit recently, but didn't manage to view either new technology...

wihle i do like living in perth, and prefer it to the other capital cities in australia by far, we do tend to get new HT gear after melb/syd

so normally we have to wait a while before we can view new technology

by the way-in your post you mention "Owen, we are both fans(and in my case an owner) of SXRD" does this mean you own what ?

i HAVE read all the posts in this thread, and saw the comment from selze about the good viewing angle for the lcos, but i was interested in a comparison with sxrd.....

Edited by larry

OzHTfan owns a rather expensive Qualia 004, which is an SXRD front projector.

The SXRD RPTV's coming to OZ are different to the US models, so any comparisons will have to wait till they get here.

Personally, I have no doubt what so ever that the Sony will be a better toy, and I will wait for it.

People who saw the LG at Vegas CES where not that impressed with it compared with the SXRD.

The Sony has two brightness levels for the lamp, but you cant just lower the lamp output further as there would be a colour shift if the lamp is dimmed to far.

OzHTfan owns a rather expensive Qualia 004, which is an SXRD front projector.

The SXRD RPTV's coming to OZ are different to the US models, so any comparisons will have to wait till they get here.

Personally, I have no doubt what so ever that the Sony will be a better toy, and I will wait for it.

People who saw the LG at Vegas CES where not that impressed with it compared with the SXRD.

The Sony has two brightness levels for the lamp, but you cant just lower the lamp output further as there would be a colour shift if the lamp is dimmed to far.

Ah cool, I knew there'd be a reason why it wasn't a good idea :blink:

hi ozhtfan

i asked the questions as i thought it possible that someone here may have viewed both overseas, or at a tradeshow.....

i've been overseas quite a bit recently, but didn't manage to view either new technology...

wihle i do like living in perth, and prefer it to the other capital cities in australia by far, we do tend to get new HT gear after melb/syd

so normally we have to wait a while before we can view new technology

by the way-in your post you mention "Owen, we are both fans(and in my case an owner) of SXRD" does this mean you own what ?

i HAVE read all the posts in this thread, and saw the comment from selze about the good viewing angle for the lcos, but i was interested in a comparison with sxrd.....

Larry, if want ask questions hoping people from OS might view the forum and answer you, I'd suggest you post your questions on AVSForum.com, there are many US and OS members there. Not really the case here at DTV as most OS people aren't interested in what products displays we have or are getting here, especially seeing as we're nearly always last stop on the line, unlike the US market. Also worth noting, like anything, just because an OS based person tells you something about 'the same' model they've seen or own OS, it doesn't always guarantee we will get the same specs here.

Living a bit out of Sydney on the South Coast, we usually have to wait as well for new technology(possibly longer than a cap city like Perth), hence my own interest in seeing if anyone in Sydney, the closest city to me, has spotted one yet.

To correct Owen slighty, at the moment I actually have 2 SXRD projectors sitting in my HT, a Qualia 006 & VPL-VW100. The Qualia is being replaced by the VPL shortly.

I think we should wait and see what the LG delivers mate. Let's not write off it just yet. I would probably be as reluctantly to buy an LG as you nor do I trust their CR specs. However, if Sony is going to try to keep us here sitting on our hands to Q3 they can forget it I'll be actively seeking an alternative.

Owen, I'm a bit surprised on your assumptions of how you are going to run your theoretical SXRD. I know the AVS guys have made some good observations and tried a lot but I'd be waiting till I had one on hand. As comparison there's no way I'd leave the DI(dynamic IRIS) off on my VPL projector, the positive effect on contrast ratio is just too good for me to ignore. Comparing the lack of black on the Qualia to the VPL in DI mode, there is more than enough black level with the VPL in DI mode. Mind you I am now using DarrenP from AVS's service menu settings for DI and haven't had much time to date in the last few weeks for viewing comparison against standard settings. I'm yet to have the 'Brightness compression' problem(using the DI) draw my attention yet, however I also haven't gone looking for it with the kind of material that is meant to bring it out.

hi ozhtfan

i know about avsforum, i was asking here, as i was thinking that possibly one of the lurkers here may have seen both of these overseas on a trip.....

you bought one of the qualia projectors eh... that sucker would have depreciated a lot....friends in perth are getting the VW100, they thought the qualia was too overpriced....i've quite often found overseas a fair bit cheaper for sony gear, vs the prices in australia, but i've aLways found their flagship models very overprices compared to the prices overseas. eg singapore

hi ozhtfan

i know about avsforum, i was asking here, as i was thinking that possibly one of the lurkers here may have seen both of these overseas on a trip.....

you bought one of the qualia projectors eh... that sucker would have depreciated a lot....friends in perth are getting the VW100, they thought the qualia was too overpriced....i've quite often found overseas a fair bit cheaper for sony gear, vs the prices in australia, but i've aLways found their flagship models very overprices compared to the prices overseas. eg singapore

Hi Larry, glad you know about AVSForum. You could get lucky, but apart from the few people who attend trade shows, being as there's no sign of the LG in the US yet(as you will notice on AVS), you are unlike to get any comparisons from either travellers or US folk. As I said I'd be in a position when I see the LG to go off memory of the SXRDs I saw in Jan, one of which was pretty nicely setup in a CompUSA store in a unusually dim lighting conditions running a THX demo disc. I can also make rough comparisons to the picture out of my VPL. Just have to land one here locally is all...

With the Qualia, actually if you do the sums, it wasn't really overpriced compared to the US for example. At the time it was 28k US, here it's was 38k. Thats a difference of $2440, not much at all for a high-end model. Mind you as I've spoken about here and on AVS, I didn't have to fork out, nor would I have forked out $$ for the Qualia, knowing by previous experience that Sony would bring out something like the VPL that would undercut and outperform. I do feel for anyone that did fork out the 38k, who isn't in a position to write it off or get out of it without losing big $$. I buy a hell of a lot based on price from OS (new Dell M170 for $US2300 for example on the way) with the exception of large A/V or hifi gear. Most of the time though I can get very competitive prices on TV's or projectors from the large local stores like HN or Domayne through my company doing business and me knowing the proprietors quite well.

I'm confused!

That manual states that the TV can accept 1080i via HDMI/DVI from a digital set top box but only 1280x768 (max.) via DVI from a PC.

How does it know whether it is connected to a PC or an STB? If it will accept 1080i from an STB, then why not a PC (HTPC). Surely, it is just a case of setting the right output for your video card (even if using Powerstrip is required)?

The manual also states:

Avoid having a fixed image remain on the screen for a long period of time. Typically a frozen still picture from a VCR, 4:3 picture format or if a CH label is present; the fixed image may remain visible on the screen.

TO AVOID BURNING IMAGE INTO THE DISPLAY, DO NOT HAVE A STILL IMAGE ON SCREEN FOR EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. IMAGE AFTER BURN WILL NOT BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY ie.Menus, Video games, Borders or LOGOS.

I thought this technology didn't suffer from this?