Sign in to follow this  
NevB

Waiting for LG 71" LCoS 1080p!

The ebay auction/buy now shop does say LCoS and 1920x1080p in the text, but incorrectly says DLP in the header. Interestingly, it claims in-built STB, instead of Inbuilt HD DTV Tuner (a STB - set top box - by definition can not be inbuilt).

The ebay auction/buy now shop does say LCoS and 1920x1080p in the text, but incorrectly says DLP in the header. Interestingly, it claims in-built STB, instead of Inbuilt HD DTV Tuner (a STB - set top box - by definition can not be inbuilt).

You're right -- I saw the description in the text right after I posted.

It looks like he just forgot to update his header -- the bit about the in-built cable card is correct in the text as well.

The LG 71SA1D is a digital cable ready model that eliminates the need for a separate set-top box to receive high-definition and premium digital programming...

:ph34r: Just heard from Harvey Norman these sets are still a good 4 weeks away this is despite being told 3 weeks ago they are 2 weeks away. They claim there is none in the country.

:ph34r: Just heard from Harvey Norman these sets are still a good 4 weeks away this is despite being told 3 weeks ago they are 2 weeks away. They claim there is none in the country.

That is correct - we have some on order from LG and they aren't due to be delivered until mid December into their Sydney warehouse. Other states will have to wait another week but hopefully they should be in the stores before Christmas.

I'm curious to know if any documentation [ie, User Manual] is available for the LG 71SA1D?

I've searched LG and google but found nothing so far

:blink:

There is a very large rear-proj on show in JB erina greater than 60". Playing Toy Story. Very sharp and clear pq - impressive, but the depth is about 50cm. I think its a LCoS, but I could be wrong.

There is a very large rear-proj on show in JB erina greater than 60". Playing Toy Story. Very sharp and clear pq - impressive, but the depth is about 50cm. I think its a LCoS, but  I could be wrong.

that is probably the JVC DiLA, similar to LCoS but at a lower resolution (something like 1280x720).

I'm curious to know if any documentation [ie, User Manual] is available for the LG 71SA1D?

I've searched LG and google but found nothing so far

:blink:

There is a picture with key specifications in the LG 2005 Spring / Summer catalogue. I can email you the pdf if you like but it is 6MB in size otherwise PM me your address and I will mail you one.

There is a picture with key specifications in the LG 2005 Spring / Summer catalogue.  I can email you the pdf if you like but it is 6MB in size otherwise PM me your address and I will mail you one.

Yes, I also have that PDF, but thank you anyhow.

I'm hoping the user manual will show up on the LG support site sometime soon

It's frustrating allright, I'm keen to investigate this set in combo with their 250Gb pvr and that seems to have been delayed as well.

It's frustrating allright, I'm keen to investigate this set in combo with their 250Gb pvr and that seems to have been delayed as well.

SXRD is coming pietro.

The LG is not in the same class.

I thought that might drag you in Owen.

I would like to see both...I am trying to keep an open mind though I've always had a pro-Sony bias, justified or not.

I have a feeling that I may not be too impressed with either, and that SED will be my saviour....if I'm still alive when it arrives.

I have a feeling that I may not be too impressed with either, and that SED will be my saviour....if I'm still alive when it arrives.
I'm sort of thinking the same thing myself. I'm currently toying with the idea of a 42" or 50" A10 Sony rear pro now (and investing the subsequent $$ savings!), skip SXRD (I still have a feeling it'll be 6-12months before we see a 50" Sony one here), and then get a 50 or 60" 2nd generation SED once the initial bugs are ironed out and the prices fall (in 3-4 years??).

I'm sort of thinking the same thing myself. I'm currently toying with the idea of a 42" or 50" A10 Sony rear pro now (and investing the subsequent $$ savings!), skip SXRD (I still have a feeling it'll be 6-12months before we see a 50" Sony one here), and then get a 50 or 60" 2nd generation SED once the initial bugs are ironed out and the prices fall (in 3-4 years??).

Make that 2 of us. I'm very likely to go down this path as well.

The A10 should provide an excellent upgrade to my 68cm Trinitron CRT until we see SED hit the market then mature some.

At 50", I'm sure the 1280x720 Res won't be that much of a problem even at reletively close viewing distances.

Convinced my local HN to get one in when they are available and I'll help them set it up properly and give it the once over.

(**** gone off topic a bit there guys, I'll shutup now)

I actually have an anti Sony bias, but I can’t ignore the SXRD’s.

For close viewing distances, the SXRD’s are the ONLY game in town, other the CRT RPTV.

No guaranty that SED will be better.

I'm happy to sit 4m away, which I do with the current 57". If I could sit the same distance with a 70" that would be great, though I have to wonder if even then you would have to move your head a lot to see all the screen.

How close are you talking for 70" Owen?

(I'm going to check out the JVC 70" LCOS this week....HN Albury actually have one)

2.8 – 3.0 meters.

That provides the same viewing experience as sitting three quarters of the way back in a normal cinema.

My 57” looks small at 4 meters, and there is no way that HD is required at that distance.

Even Foxtel looks good on a 57” screen from 4 meters.

Whilst on this topic, does "HD" over FTA produce a clearer image than Digital or DVD?

Whilst on this topic, does "HD" over FTA produce a clearer image than Digital or DVD?

I dont understand.

There is no "HD" over FTA that is not digital.

I dont understand.

There is no "HD" over FTA that is not digital.

What I mean is, do HD programs carry a higher resolution than Austar/Foxtel?

I ask because Austar looks pretty ordinary on my 60" LCD.

No, Foxtel-Austar is lower res then free to air SD TV, and in not remotely close to HD, although quality is improving slowly over time.

I never suggested the Foxtel-Austar was good quality, but at 4 meters plus, on my 57” TV it looks perfectly acceptable, and close to DVD.

However, when I sit at my normal 2.8 meters viewing distance, Foxtel looks bloody ordinary, and no where near as good as DVD.

Of corse 1080i is significantly better then DVD at 2.8 meters, but not at 4 meters.

I have yet to see any 60” digital display that I could live with at 2.8 meters, with any source.

The good 1080p TV’s, like the Sony SXRD are in a different league to 720p type digital displays, and are much more like a good 1080i CRT RPTV at close viewing distances.

The LG is not in the same class as the Sony, but should still be very good compared to 720p digital displays of comparable size.