Sign in to follow this  
NevB

Waiting for LG 71" LCoS 1080p!

Well, I've been looking for a replacement for my 61" Samsung LCD rear projection for a while, and I nearly jumped on the Fujitsu 55" Plasma train, but in the back of my mind, I was holding out for:

* 1920 x 1080 p

* 60" or bigger ... my TV room is quite large

Anyhow, I got the latest Harvey Norman catalog [very sorry, don't flame me for talking HN] and they are promoting the new LG LCoS 71" rear pro for $8999

The specs sound good ... 1080p, 71" , 7000:1 contrast [although according to LG its only 3500:1 :blink:], HD tuner built in, which is good for me coz I sold my footy and while we watch mostly Foxtel and DVD's, I've been missing the HDTV experience, especially with sports.

So I decided to drop into the local HN to check this beast out, but they didnt have one on the floor :P. I had a chat to the manager, and he said they had an allocation of 3 units, and they had been held up [probably by the computer problems affecting the docks].

He says he personally viewed the LG at the CEDIA exhibition and the picture is stunning. We chatted for a while and I said I couldnt possibly buy a TV sight unseen, yada yada, and in the end we cut a deal:

* HN will match any real price I come across until the TV arrives

* I can cancel if I dont like the picture quality when it arrives

* I can cancel if the inputs etc arent up to scratch [particularly 1080p over HDMI]

So now there are only 2 units left :P

PS: should go very nicely with my VP30 too!

Is that the only size thats coming out.

Wouldnt mind a 42 - 50 inch.

I've seen mention of a 56" and a 62" on the web, but nothing smaller than that ... I guess the market is too hot on plasma and lcd below 50" atm.

Wow now thats a big screen. Keep us intouch how things go sounds really interesting. :blink:

Exciting stuff. :blink:

Sounds like it might arrive earlier than the SXRDs then.

Got a link for the Australian specs?

-Does it take 1080p over HDMI?

-Does it take 1080p over VGA?

Exciting stuff. :blink:

Sounds like it might arrive earlier than the SXRDs then.

Got a link for the Australian specs?

-Does it take 1080p over HDMI?

-Does it take 1080p over VGA?

1080p over HDMI ... yes [though I may be proved wrong]

1080p over VGA ... I doubt it

1080p over component ... I would think so

For my purposes, the LG will be driven by my VP30 over the HDMI link.

So my XBox 360 will pass 1080p into the VP30 which will pass 1080p to the LG

When are these expected to arrive?

Is it wise to jump in and buy the very first ones on the market, particularly from LG?

When are these expected to arrive?

Is it wise to jump in and buy the very first ones on the market, particularly from LG?

When = should be in store within 2 weeks

Wise = nope

I'm taking my chances that HN will look after me if LG doesnt deliver.

When = should be in store within 2 weeks

Wise  = nope

I'm taking my chances that HN will look after me if LG doesnt deliver.

Cool, might check them out then.

Im an LG MW60 victim, and I really doubt that HN would want anything to do with faults.

I tried to get some sort of stuck pixel warranty, and they simply said its the manufactures problem.

Its a shame companies take this approach, what ever happened to having confidence in what you sell?

NevB,

Hey do you have a model number that we can google. There is no mention of a 71" rp-DLP that I can find on either the Australian/US or international LG site. Maybe I'm just not looking right.

In any case, I'd be extremely impressed if it took 1080p input over HDMI and so would a lot of people because it's kind of a big deal. AFAIK, only the HP rp-DLPs will do it currently making them ideal for HTPCs.

Btw, not to be nitpicky, but in case ya didn't know, xbox360 HD-DVD won't output 1080p.

The model number appears to be 71SA1D.

Can only find press releases 9/9/05.

No specs, and minimal Australian related info. Just a mention that it will be released in Australia.

Is this really gonna be in Melbourne soon. Experience has taught me that we are never on the cutting edge. I hope to be proven wrong.

Give us a heads up on which HN when ya get word because I would love to see it on display. I won't be buying coz I just bought a TV last week I'm very happy with... just itching to lay eyes on an SXRD.

I too saw the ad in the HN catalogue and dropped into the HN at Hoppers Crossing last Saturday while we were going past and asked to see the unit. (I was interested as it was the first display that I had come across that advertised full HD resolution.) As noted by others, they do not have them yet but the LG rep was there and said there was one at the LG offices in Laverton/Deer Pk and that we could go and have a look at it there.

We made an appointment on the Monday and went in for a look. The unit was hooked straight up to an Ariel and they also had a LG demo disc feeding via component cables. Observations were:

The pictures off the LG demo disc were very impressive.

SD looked good, certainly better than analogue which the unit could also display.

The HD loops off the FTA stations looked good but there did appear to be artifacts/ghosting (for lack of a better description) around people in the clips. (The bikini clad girl coming out of the water and the guy by the water that most would have seen on the loops showed these affects. You did need to be fairly close to see this affect.)

The colors on the canoes on the loop looked too bright.

That said, it was still very impressive, at the viewing distances required for a screen of this size the picture was fantastic. You need to get within six inches of the screen to pick the pixel structure; it is very hard to see.

The unit we viewed had not been set up or adjusted in any way and there may have been further room for improvement. (It did surprise me that they were not a little better set up in the LG showroom, although they were very friendly and were happy for us to have a look at the unit.)

For a first go, the LCOS technology does look very promising.

NevB, you may want to give LG a call and go and have a look for yourself.

Regards,

Gary

excellent post garyd ...

it will certainly be interesting to see this LG perform with a HDMI source

Hmm this looks impressive. Perhaps the specs of a TV i want are final here and its time for me to buy (if only in lou of X360 and Zenxonic Z500 :blink:). I hope there is a ~60" unit because even though i'd like 71 inches of goodness... 9 grand is abit to much for a TV!

LCoS doesnt have burn it... does it?

I visited my local HN again today ... it seems they have sold all their initial allocation of the LG 71SA1D, plus a few from other stores!

The sales guy said he was trying to get another allocation of 10-15 units by xmas.

I'm shocked that so many units of such a big & expensive TV could be sold sight unseen :P

Guess I'm not the only crazy TV nut with too much money :blink:

Hmm so how much is it going for actaully? 9 G's? I wonder how i could get a look at one of these units way up here in lil ol' QLD... :blink:

Saw one in the flesh down in Darling Harbour @ the Home Entertainment show. The picture looked stunning, although it didn't look perfect. Might have been the source, some Beyonce live concert or some crap :-)

Already a grand down on RRP

eBay

Saw one in the flesh down in Darling Harbour @ the Home Entertainment show. The picture looked stunning, although it didn't look perfect. Might have been the source, some Beyonce live concert or some crap :-)

Already a grand down on RRP

eBay

I saw this too. Nice display, but was surprised just how deep it was compared to the similar sized Samsung DLP also on display. Agree, the source was not optimal for this display. I'm sure it was only 576i when they should have fed it at least something 1080i native. LG could have done better.

Cheers,

morkli.

Is it the camera flash in those pics, or are the blacks not that great?

Is it the camera flash in those pics, or are the blacks not that great?

I haven't seen it in person but every first-hand report I've seen is very complimentary. You can find some new photos here. The black looks very good in these and, even more importantly to me, there's a lot of detail visible in the shadows. I love a solid black and a linear response through the gray tones!

The eBay auction is a bit strange. It claims to be the 71SA1D but it's listed as DLP (that's wrong -- it's LCoS). The 71SA1D is also a 1080p display but the auction doesn't mention that. Odd that someone who is presumably trying to get the best price for his product doesn't know what he's selling.