Sign in to follow this  
Ivalice.

Hitachi 42PD8800TA

I saw the Hitachi 8800 side by side with the Pana 42PV500 with a DVD source (Finding Nemo) at JB in Dandy and the Pana was a lot clearer. Everything was so much more defined.

I saw the Hitachi 8800 side by side with the Pana 42PV500 with a DVD source (Finding Nemo) at JB in Dandy and the Pana was a lot clearer.  Everything was so much more defined.

Like some of the other guys have posted out of the box settings for the Hitachi seem pretty ordinary.

The comparison I did at JB's in Penrith showed both sets to be nearly identical, the Pana did seem to have a slightly better black but isn't that what they are renowned for.

In fact both sets looked better than the PIO in my opinion.

They were showing a HD loop then went to to the cricket which is SD I think ?

It was the overall looks of the panel, swivel stand, screen res and inmputs that sold me on the Hitachi.

Spoke to the dealer today may have it tomorrow :blink::P:P

PS Matthew how is your Sony HD STB going ?

cheers

Like some of the other guys have posted out of the box settings for the Hitachi seem pretty ordinary.

The comparison I did at JB's in Penrith showed both sets to be nearly identical, the Pana did seem to have a slightly better black but isn't that what they are renowned for.

In fact both sets looked better than the PIO in my opinion.

They were showing a HD loop then went to to the cricket which is SD I think ?

It was the overall looks of the panel, swivel stand, screen res and inmputs that sold me on the Hitachi.

Spoke to the dealer today may have it tomorrow  :blink:  :P  :P

PS  Matthew how is your Sony HD STB going ?

cheers

How much are you paying and from which retailer? :P

How much are you paying and from which retailer?  :blink:

I got it on pre order from Bing Lees for $3900 they just rung me to say delivery won't be until Monday or Tuesday next week was hoping for it tomorrow, ahh well a cpl more days won't matter.

cheers

I got it on pre order from Bing Lees for $3900 they just rung me to say delivery won't be until Monday or Tuesday next week was hoping for it tomorrow, ahh well a cpl more days won't matter.

cheers

Just got back from doing a direct comparison between 42" PIONEER, HITACHI and PANASONIC, and in my humble opinion the PANNY had it ever so slightly over the others at factory preset settings. Seemed to have better blacks and skintones, especially over the HITACHI. I asked the salesguy to adjust the settings but he would'nt oblige. Asthetically speaking the HITACHI looked better as a unit to me but the PANNY picture was terrific and so was the PANNY 50". If the HITACHI adjuasments could be" tweeked" to match the PANNY, I think I would buy it ,it also has 2 HDMI inputs.

Cheers :blink::P

Just got back from doing a direct comparison between 42" PIONEER, HITACHI and PANASONIC, and in my humble opinion the PANNY had it ever so slightly over the others at factory preset settings. Seemed to have better blacks and skintones, especially over the HITACHI. I asked the salesguy to adjust the settings but he would'nt oblige. Asthetically speaking the HITACHI looked better as a unit to me but the PANNY picture was terrific and so was the PANNY 50". If the HITACHI adjuasments could be" tweeked" to match the PANNY, I think I would buy it ,it also has 2 HDMI inputs.

Cheers :blink:  :P

I had the guy tweak the Hitachi to its ultimate and the Panny was ahead a smidge on detail in some shots.

Its nit picky stuff and once you had the Hitachi home you wouldnt feel as though you have been robbed by PQ.

The sleek lines of the Hitachi and its inputs are a sure winner over the Pana.

I chose the Pana as I wanted to put a centre speaker in front which the hitachi was too low and would have blocked some screen. Inputs werent a concern because im using PC via d sub.

Both the Pana and Hitachi are excellent value and to be honest they are the only 2

to be considered as fujitsu and Pio are over priced and the korean panels arent quite there.

I had the guy tweak the Hitachi to its ultimate and the Panny was ahead a smidge on detail in some shots.

Its nit picky stuff and once you had the Hitachi home you wouldnt feel as though you have been robbed by PQ.

The sleek lines of the Hitachi and its inputs are a sure winner over the Pana.

I chose the Pana as I wanted to put a centre speaker in front which the hitachi was too low and would have blocked some screen. Inputs werent a concern because im using PC via d sub.

Both the Pana and Hitachi are excellent value and to be honest they are the only 2

to be considered as fujitsu and Pio are over priced and the korean panels arent quite there.

Yeah either panel is a winner, I'm gonna twist the guys arm and get him to fine tune the HITACHI, after all it is only fair to have each panel at it's best. in the interests of the consumer ha ha! :blink:

I was hoping to have the Hitachi today but not to be :blink:

It will be delivered on Monday though :P

can hardly wait wanted to tinker with it over the weekend.

will post my impressions next week.

cheers

I was hoping to have the Hitachi today but not to be  :P

It will be delivered on Monday though   :P

cheers

Cool!!!!...another one to soon join the 8800 brigade. :P I look forward to reading your comments/impressions Enforcer. I'm sure you will be as impressed by the display as I've been so far.

I have had the unit 2 weeks now and am VERY happy with my purchase. It was a major step up from my 2 year old LG SD plasma. Gaming on this baby is a delight and of course HD over FTA looks stunning with the proper settings. I had another look at the Panny 500A recently and I can't deny it is a fabulous display too, even at default factory settings, but for my particular needs the 8800 was the slightly better buy.

A bit off topic but anyone thinking about getting into HDTV or just generally interested in tech there is a cool free weekly video cast (IPTV) hosted by Patrick Norton and Robert Heron of TechTV fame. I'm sure there are many other dba forum members who watch it.

http://digitallifetv.com/blogs/digitallifetv/default.aspx

Anyway they had a special on HDTV last week which I found quite informative. You will definitely find out more in-depth info by reading and participating in forums like dba and avs, but I also find it's nice to just sit down and watch a broad level video on the topic from time to time. Although it is an American production the info and views translate fairly well to the Aussie market although we don't have HD Cable TV or HD TIVO of course....damn it!!! :blink:

I was hoping to have the Hitachi today but not to be  :P

It will be delivered on Monday though  :P

cheers

:blink: That will be great enforcer,look foreward to your report :P

I rang a few dealers and it seems both the Panny and Hitachi both very low in stock,most of them are waiting delivery, but I got very good prices quoted on the Panny,even on HN. interest free terms. No one seems to have the Hitachi but JB hi-fi . Cheers

:blink: That will be great enforcer,look foreward to your report  :P

I rang a few dealers  and it seems both the Panny and Hitachi both very low in stock,most of them are waiting  delivery, but I got very good prices quoted on the Panny,even on HN. interest  free terms. No one seems to have the Hitachi but JB hi-fi . Cheers

If you want a Hitachi try Bing Lees Mine was $3900 had to haggle a bit but thats the lowest Bings will come down to, Bing Lees stock arrived last week and is in their wharehoused now in Sydney.

I believe that JB's at castle hill will do the Hitachi for the same price.

cheers

If you want a Hitachi try Bing Lees Mine was $3900 had to haggle a bit but thats the lowest Bings will come down to, Bing Lees stock arrived last week and is in their wharehoused now in Sydney.

I believe that JB's at castle hill will do the Hitachi for the same price.

cheers

Just rang the JB Miranda store, and they will do a "fine tune" on the picture for me, did the $3900 price include any extra warranty, as I will want the extra 4 yrs and that adds about $3-400 dollars. Cheers Thornton

Just rang the JB Miranda store, and they will do a "fine tune" on the picture for me, did  the $3900 price include any extra warranty, as I will want the extra 4 yrs and that adds about $3-400 dollars. Cheers Thornton

Should not have to pay anymore than $299 for extended warranty.

$3900 for the Hitachi 8800 from JB HiFi Castle Hill

Cheers

Should not have to pay anymore than $299 for extended warranty.

$3900 for the Hitachi 8800 from JB HiFi Castle Hill

Cheers

Thanks guys, that's great news,now I have the Miranda salesman by the b***s.

Now just get that picture right.

Cheers :blink:

Bought mine today, and (in Melbourne) after consulting with JB and Harvey Norman, got a better deal from Harvey!!! The price included 5 years (total) warranty and free delivery - $4150, which I was fairly happy with. Will post something in a few weeks after it has been run in.

BTW, Harvey Norman had them at RRP $5200!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bought mine today, and (in Melbourne) after consulting with JB and Harvey Norman, got a better deal from Harvey!!! The price included 5 years (total) warranty and free delivery - $4150, which I was fairly happy with. Will post something in a few weeks after it has been run in.

Yeah , Harvey does that, so does Domayne but only worse. some consumers don't stand a chance.

but JB as raining on their parade with some great prices. Lucky for Harvey that some buyers still need interest free or their pricing policy would have them struggling! :blink:

Can anyone tell me what sex plug I need for the HDMI input?

Also, I already have a DVI male to DVI male cable. Is there such a thing as a DVD to HDMI adapter, or is just as much the same money to just buy a new DVI to HDMI cable?

Can anyone tell me what sex plug I need for the HDMI input?

Also, I already have a DVI male to DVI male cable. Is there such a thing as a DVD to HDMI adapter, or is just as much the same money to just buy a new DVI to HDMI cable?

Peter, the HDMI cable is usually male on both ends, the source and display devices always have the female connector.

Check out this page on the cinemacables site for more info about adaptors and cables. I use cables from these guys and they are excellent.

Could you tell me which Harvey Norman in Melbourne you got this deal with and was it for cash or interest free terms ?. I live in Melbourne but I rang Bing Lees Parramatta NSW this morning and they quoted me $3800 without even haggling on the price. But your price of $4150 including 5 year warranty is pretty good, i would be happy with that.

Could you tell me which Harvey Norman in Melbourne you got this deal with and was it for cash or interest free terms ?. I live in Melbourne but I rang Bing Lees Parramatta NSW this morning and they quoted me $3800 without even haggling on the price. But your price of $4150 including 5 year warranty is pretty good, i would be happy with that.

Harvey Norman in Morabbin and it was cash on the spot, after quite a bit of haggling. Also, I bought a new fridge and dishwasher (spent up big for the new house!!!), so that brought the price down by a couple of hundred. Quote the price you got at Bing Lees when u are at HN.

Hi folks,

I have been researching panels for some time and had come down to the Hitachi 8800TA or the Panasone 500TA after reading a lot of very useful information via these forums. As this panel will basically be used the most by my aging parents, I took Dad along this afternoon to compare the two - he didn't like the look of the Panasonic and preferred the Hitachi, for the looks and swivel stand. I was hoping he would go this way as I liked the additional inputs for one.

Thanks to people on this forum I got the panel, 4 years of extended warranty (taking the total to 5 years) and delivery for $4250 at Bing Lee's, paying with my Visa card, although I offered to pay cash if they preferred. Delivery is scheduled for Saturday morning.

I think this is a pretty good price.

Thanks again to everyone for their help

Hi folks,

I have been researching panels for some time and had come down to the Hitachi 8800TA or the Panasone 500TA after reading a lot of very useful information via these forums. As this panel will basically be used the most by my aging parents, I took Dad along this afternoon to compare the two - he didn't like the look of the Panasonic and preferred the Hitachi, for the looks and swivel stand. I was hoping he would go this way as I liked the additional inputs for one.

Thanks to people on this forum I got the panel, 4 years of extended warranty (taking the total to 5 years) and delivery for $4250 at Bing Lee's, paying with my Visa card, although I offered to pay cash if they preferred. Delivery is scheduled for Saturday morning.

I think this is a pretty good price.

Thanks again to everyone for their help

Congratulations on your purchase.

I have had my Hitachi 8800 for almost 4 weeks and loving it.

After a bit of fine tuning/tweeking I got a great picture now.

It's a great plasma. Just took some pics with my digital camera set to HDTV and it shows superb pics on the Hitachi.

Much more then I ever expected.

Hope you may enjoy as much as we do and Merry Christmas to you and yours,

Cheers

got mine today $4250 with $300 of cables, set was $4100 intereset free,had him down to $3900 with cash,now just to get a hd stb ,looking at getting the toshiba with hdmi cant think of the model number,what stores can you get one of these from???????

got mine today $4250 with $300 of cables, set was $4100 intereset free,had him down to $3900 with cash,now just to get a hd stb ,looking at getting the toshiba with hdmi cant think of the model number,what stores can you get one of these from???????

Where did you buy your Hitachi ? as i am interested in the interest free option.

I got a quote from Harvey Norman Moorabbin in Melbourne $3900 for the plasma plus $300 for an extended

5 year warranty. So for cash or credit the price was $4200.

But the price you got for interest free is awesome. Was it 12 months interest free ?