As stated above i got mine for ~3300 Bing Lee sydney. Bing Lee seems to have good prices on these should be able to get it for between 3300-3450 easily, this was not 24mths interest free, but was able to use amex gold which doubles the 12mnth warranty to make it 2 yrs. otherwise you are up for about ~480 extended 5 yr warranty.

Thanks Black Magic,

Will have to try to screw them down some more then, and throw in the extended warranty! :blink:

Edited by RXV3000
  • Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always seem to get someone shoot me down in flames whenever I suggest DVI is not the same as HDMI.

But here goes. DVI is the only connection I know of that restricts the signal to 8 bits. If you have a 10 bit display and a 10 bit dvd player, (not sure if you can get a 10 bit stb) you would be made to use dvi, hd component would even be better.

IMHO

You are absolutely correct Bill two Hats. While DVI is restricted to 8 bit colors, HDMI could be 8, 10, or 12 bits, according to

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4...ns-11-2004.html

However, current HDTV standard is 8 bit color (correct me if I am wrong), so you won't get any better color with HDMI. Not sure about future HD DVD...

You are absolutely correct Bill two Hats. While DVI is restricted to 8 bit colors, HDMI could be 8, 10, or 12 bits, according to

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4...ns-11-2004.html

However, current HDTV standard is 8 bit color (correct me if I am wrong), so you won't get any better color with HDMI. Not sure about future HD DVD...

Yes, but the original signal is often not what is actually sent from the inut device. It is modified by scaling plus any settings you have set on your input device that affects the picture. A good device will do these transformations in something like 12 bits, otherwise you get heaps of rounding adjustments along the way. The question then becomes, does the input device leave it at 12 bits or does it drop it back to 8 bits when it sends out on HDMI.

Yes, but the original signal is often not what is actually sent from the inut device. It is modified by scaling plus any settings you have set on your input device that affects the picture. A good device will do these transformations in something like 12 bits, otherwise you get heaps of rounding adjustments along the way. The question then becomes, does the input device leave it at 12 bits or does it drop it back to 8 bits when it sends out on HDMI.

This is my first visit to this forum so please bear with me. Yesterday I visited my local JB store to enquire into the Hitachi 42PD8800TA. Most of my questions were answered except that I recall reading something on this site that the salesman couldn't really answer. This relates to the settings reverting to the default settings once the set is turned off and on again. The salesman suggested this shouldn't happen if put into standby mode, but regardless, I'm loath to spend several thousand pounds and then have to adjust the picture settings to my preference each time I turn the set on. Can anyone elaborate on whether the Hitachi 8800 is problematic in retaining desired picture settings?

Also, I know with dead pixels there is an element of luck, however again the idea of spending my hard earned on something that isn't quite 100% right doesn't appeal. Having said that, I must say how impressed I was with the picture I saw on the Hitachi compared to the likes of LG. Talking of LG, the salesman recommended an LG HDSTB, model number LST5100. If anyone is able to advise whether this is a good STB to go with the plasma screen it'd be appreciated, as to would people’s experiences regarding dead pixels.

As you can tell, I'm not fully conversant when it comes to all this new fangled technology, and that goes to joining forums such as this as well. Apologies if I've posted this to the wrong area but regardless, because of this site and everyone’s messages, I'm now far more knowledgeable and prepared to buy my first plasma.

This is my first visit to this forum so please bear with me. Yesterday I visited my local JB store to enquire into the Hitachi 42PD8800TA. Most of my questions were answered except that I recall reading something on this site that the salesman couldn't really answer. This relates to the settings reverting to the default settings once the set is turned off and on again. The salesman suggested this shouldn't happen if put into standby mode, but regardless, I'm loath to spend several thousand pounds and then have to adjust the picture settings to my preference each time I turn the set on. Can anyone elaborate on whether the Hitachi 8800 is problematic in retaining desired picture settings?

Also, I know with dead pixels there is an element of luck, however again the idea of spending my hard earned on something that isn't quite 100% right doesn't appeal. Having said that, I must say how impressed I was with the picture I saw on the Hitachi compared to the likes of LG. Talking of LG, the salesman recommended an LG HDSTB, model number LST5100. If anyone is able to advise whether this is a good STB to go with the plasma screen it'd be appreciated, as to would people’s experiences regarding dead pixels.

As you can tell, I'm not fully conversant when it comes to all this new fangled technology, and that goes to joining forums such as this as well. Apologies if I've posted this to the wrong area but regardless, because of this site and everyone’s messages, I'm now far more knowledgeable and prepared to buy my first plasma.

Hi,

I have had my Hitachi 42pd8800ta for about 10 weeks now and we like it very much.

We have never had any issues with picture settings after the unit was switched off. It delivers a great picture and I am very happy with the unit.

I am using a Toshiba HD-C26H STB and the picture is great. Ejoyed watching the cricket I can tell Ya.

Cheers

I was in JB yesterday and got told i could get it for $3500 and that was without any bargaining... probably more to be had there (latrobe street Melb CBD)

Hey Quietboy,

Where abouts in Melb did you get that price, and was it interest free or cash?

Jas.

Well guys,

Bit the bullet today and got the Hitachi 8800TA for $3500 :blink: with extended 5 year warranty for $469 ($3969) from Clive Peeters on 24 months interest free, had to do some serious haggling between the big stores but more than happy. Pick it up Wednesday so can't wait to get this thing hooked up in the new HT. Will post some pics when all set-up.

Jas

Edited by RXV3000

congrats on the purchase!.

My 8800 and HT equipment was suppose to be delivered today, but they stuffed the delivery up and have to wait till monday now sux :\

Hey BlackMagic,

Bummer about the delivery stuff up :blink: . Let me know what you think when you get it set up, what HT gear did you end up getting with 8800TA?

Jas

Should have spent more time hunting around for right HT setup to be honest, it was more an after thought having purchased the panel, nevertheless it should still be quite good i hope and sounded good testing it at the shop.

Went the Yamaha RXV-657 with a Tannoy Set of 5.1 speakers which are the Fusion 3 series + Tannoy TS10 Sub. Most of what people say and what ive read and heard Yamaha's range of recievers is pretty good, probably could have done some more research into the speakers but tannoy should do the job :blink:

Should have spent more time hunting around for right HT setup to be honest, it was more an after thought having purchased the panel, nevertheless it should still be quite good i hope and sounded good testing it at the shop.

Went the Yamaha RXV-657 with a Tannoy Set of 5.1 speakers which are the Fusion 3 series + Tannoy TS10 Sub. Most of what people say and what ive read and heard Yamaha's range of recievers is pretty good, probably could have done some more research into the speakers but tannoy should do the job :P

I've had my Yamaha for about 6 years now and it hasn't skipped a beat :P , with the Krix speakers that are now pushing over 10 Years old and IMHO still sound as good as the day I bought them :blink: . Have heard Tannoy speakers before and they sounded alright to me, so sounds like you got a sweet deal!

That is a good price, though Eastern States seem to have a price advantage of some sorts on WA. I picked mine up on the weekend for $3900 with the 5yr warranty delivered and a few bits and bobs added in. That was from Rick Harts... well happy with that really.

Might be worth mentioning that it looks awesome with the Digitalview DVH-505 over DVI>HDMI. That is a great unit (and WA designed)!

M

That is not a bad price. How are you going with it. All setup?

Enjoy!!!

It's on the motorised stand, on the cabinet, ready to be hooked up tomorrow morning when I get home. Then change a few settings for the intial 200 Hr run in, then some serious DVD watching!!

I must say the thing looks damn impressive sitting there, even with no picture!!!! :blink:

Glad you guys are able to enjoy your machines.

I turned up on Tuesday to pick mine up some 45 minutes before store closure. It took just over 30 minutes for the goods to be ready in the loading dock (I had pre-paid so I only had to collect the items). I was then rushed through with the goodies (8800 + LG HDSTB + HDMI cable/adapter + Component cable +cleaning kit) and told to sign in 7 places for receipt. It wasn't till I was around the corner that I realised I forgot to ask about the stand. Too late to turn around. Got home and sure enough no stand.

Rang the next morning (early) and after a little run around (the staff member we approached was suspicious that we had received the stand and were chasing another as a freebie) thankfully two staff remembered that we hadn't been given the stand. One staff member remembers seeing the stand somewhere but 30 minutes later after a search of the store they could not locate it.

Order another one from Hitachi Melbourne. Hopefully will be here (Brisbane) early next week. Over two weeks since order placed.

So at the moment I am STILL watching the good ol' 68cm $250 CRT over the top of a cardboard box with words 'PLASMA TV' written on the side. I will get it hooked up one day and hopefully before the cricket season ends !!!

Cheers, Paul

Hi all,

Just new to the forums and have already learnt more in a couple of days browsing the site than I have over the last 3 months talking with salespeople!!

Regarding the Hitachi 8800, my brother and I are looking at getting 2 of these in the next week or so. Looking at some of the pricing quoted I'm going to aim at $6600 for both. Am I aiming to low...or to high?? I've also noticed that the extended warranty is very popular, would the concensus be to get the extended warranty for this purchase as well?

Lastly, what would you suggest as a good STB to go with the panels, and what sort of a price point should I be aiming for, once again buying 2.

Thanks very much for you help.

Cheers,

gjws.

Hi all,

Just new to the forums and have already learnt more in a couple of days browsing the site than I have over the last 3 months talking with salespeople!!

Regarding the Hitachi 8800, my brother and I are looking at getting 2 of these in the next week or so. Looking at some of the pricing quoted I'm going to aim at $6600 for both. Am I aiming to low...or to high?? I've also noticed that the extended warranty is very popular, would the concensus be to get the extended warranty for this purchase as well?

Lastly, what would you suggest as a good STB to go with the panels, and what sort of a price point should I be aiming for, once again buying 2.

Cheers,

gjws.

I reckon you might get them for that price.

Re. Extended warranty: I would purchase it for peace of mind. I got mine for $3900 plus $299 for warranty.

The HD STB I use is a Toshiba HD-C26H which can be had for about $550. It has HDMI out which is nice.

It has performed fine for the last 8 weeks. The only negative I have is that changing channels is somewhat slow (Like 3-4 sec). But once used to it's not really a problem anymore.

The picture is superb in my opinion but not straight out of the box. You will have to tweak the settings (down) to get the picture right and save yourself from burning the plasma.

The swivel base is great if you can use it. Especially if you need to get back to the cables.

Cheers

Edited by JandG
Glad you guys are able to enjoy your machines.

I turned up on Tuesday to pick mine up some 45 minutes before store closure. It took just over 30 minutes for the goods to be ready in the loading dock (I had pre-paid so I only had to collect the items). I was then rushed through with the goodies (8800 + LG HDSTB + HDMI cable/adapter + Component cable +cleaning kit) and told to sign in 7 places for receipt. It wasn't till I was around the corner that I realised I forgot to ask about the stand. Too late to turn around. Got home and sure enough no stand.

Rang the next morning (early) and after a little run around (the staff member we approached was suspicious that we had received the stand and were chasing another as a freebie) thankfully two staff remembered that we hadn't been given the stand. One staff member remembers seeing the stand somewhere but 30 minutes later after a search of the store they could not locate it.

Order another one from Hitachi Melbourne. Hopefully will be here (Brisbane) early next week. Over two weeks since order placed.

So at the moment I am STILL watching the good ol' 68cm $250 CRT over the top of a cardboard box with words 'PLASMA TV' written on the side. I will get it hooked up one day and hopefully before the cricket season ends !!!

Cheers, Paul

What a bugger that is.

Mate, I hope you get your stand soon and can enjoy your purchase.

When you pick-up the stand check for the correct Part Number which should be: SD8G4237 for the 42PD8800TA plasma.

Hope you get it sorted soon

Hi all,

Cheers,

gjws.

I think you might be pushing it to get 2x$3300-. $3500- is a dam good price that a few people have only just been able to get and is not readily available. People keep saying buy an extended warranty for peace of mind, but if you do not know what is covered and what is not - how do you get this peace of mind. Also what is covered and what is not varies considerably from JB to HN to DS etc as they use different 3rd party warranty companies.

Edited by Billy Two Hats

I bought my Hitachi 8800 last week plus a HOTCHIP 6000HD set top box for $3,600 from Bing Lee - Plasma $3,300, Set Top Box $300.

Fantastic unit, but I am having trouble with the DVI - HDMI. The picture works ace but there is no sound. I realise the DVI does not carry sound so I was using an optical audio cable, which I thought would work. Is the Hitachi not equiped to take the optical audio? Is there another type of cable which I should be using for the sound? Anyone else having this problem? The AC cables work fine with both picture and sound, but I was hoping to use the HDMI.

Is anyone else using the Hotchip 6000HD with their Hitachi 8800?

I bought my Hitachi 8800 last week plus a HOTCHIP 6000HD set top box for $3,600 from Bing Lee - Plasma $3,300, Set Top Box $300.

Fantastic unit, but I am having trouble with the DVI - HDMI. The picture works ace but there is no sound. I realise the DVI does not carry sound so I was using an optical audio cable, which I thought would work. Is the Hitachi not equiped to take the optical audio? Is there another type of cable which I should be using for the sound? Anyone else having this problem? The AC cables work fine with both picture and sound, but I was hoping to use the HDMI.

Is anyone else using the Hotchip 6000HD with their Hitachi 8800?

Hi rosy,

You will need to buy a cable with a mini jack plug at one end and red and white RCA plugs at the other end.

connect the red and white to the audio out on your STB and plug the jack plug in just above the HDMI plug on the plasma.( analogue input )

It will cost you about $14.00 for the cable from Trickie Dickies

cheers

What a bugger that is.

Mate, I hope you get your stand soon and can enjoy your purchase.

When you pick-up the stand check for the correct Part Number which should be: SD8G4237 for the 42PD8800TA plasma.

Hope you get it sorted soon

Thanks JandG,

I will definitely make sure this time. At least the delay has enabled me to re-arrange the cabinet and equipment. I spent three hours last night improving air circulation for audio/video equipment. Enclosed cabinets with doors to reduce dust does nothing for keeping equipment cool - although the wife was not too impressed with me cutting away timber from the back of the cabinet to create a nice air vent at the top.

I have also added the LG HDSTB into the setup which includes Kenwood amp, Panasonic DVD-F87, Pure Acoustic speakers and 12inch sub. All TV cables are now resting at the back of the cabinet waiting for the day I can bring the beast out of its box.

Cheers, Paul

Just bought my 8800 from JB Erina (Central Coast NSW), paid $3,300, but packaged that STB, 4 yr Warranty and cables for $3,800.

I have hooked it up and am noticing some ghosting(?) of faces when free to air tv is watched. This does not happen through the STB or DVD. Can anyone please help me with a possible cause or solution. The aerial (RF?) is running from the wall to the STB, to the VCR, and then to the TV, could this be the problem?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Nathan

Just bought my 8800 from JB Erina (Central Coast NSW), paid $3,300, but packaged that STB, 4 yr Warranty and cables for $3,800.

I have hooked it up and am noticing some ghosting(?) of faces when free to air tv is watched. This does not happen through the STB or DVD. Can anyone please help me with a possible cause or solution. The aerial (RF?) is running from the wall to the STB, to the VCR, and then to the TV, could this be the problem?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Nathan

Hi, Ghosting is usually caused by the fact that you are receiving the signal via multiple paths due to reflections of objects nearby. Try putting the antenna directly into the Plasma and see what that gives.

What is the reason you want to bypass the STB and receive analog directly to the plasma??

Congrats on your purchase. Great price for a great TV.

Just got mine for $3300 in Brisbane. Picked this one for the motorized stand as it will be very useful for the room we have it in.

Not sure why you're all raving about the picture. In my opinion the pioneer is best, followed by panasonic, fujitsu then the Hitachi. The picture is good, just not the best (especially the blacks). Although bang for buck the Hitachi is a clear winner at the moment.

Try putting the antenna directly into the Plasma and see what that gives.

What is the reason you want to bypass the STB and receive analog directly to the plasma??

Congrats on your purchase. Great price for a great TV.

Thanks for the advice JandG. I will run the antenna directly into the plasma.

You have confused me with your last comment. My set up is wall => STB (in/out) => VCR (in/out) => plasma. There is no reason at all I want to bypass the STB, and I didn't think I was. Sorry if I am misunderstanding something.

I will also try to pull the VCR out of the equation and see if that helps (obviously I want ultimately be able to use it)

Thanks again for your help

Thanks for the advice JandG. I will run the antenna directly into the plasma.

You have confused me with your last comment. My set up is wall => STB (in/out) => VCR (in/out) => plasma. There is no reason at all I want to bypass the STB, and I didn't think I was. Sorry if I am misunderstanding something.

I will also try to pull the VCR out of the equation and see if that helps (obviously I want ultimately be able to use it)

Thanks again for your help

I think it was this comment "I have hooked it up and am noticing some ghosting(?) of faces when free to air tv is watched. This does not happen through the STB". What connectors are you using to connect the stb to the vcr and the vcr to the plasma?

Just got mine for $3300 in Brisbane. Picked this one for the motorized stand as it will be very useful for the room we have it in.

Not sure why you're all raving about the picture. In my opinion the pioneer is best, followed by panasonic, fujitsu then the Hitachi. The picture is good, just not the best (especially the blacks). Although bang for buck the Hitachi is a clear winner at the moment.

I would be interested if you could give us your settings on your Hitachi plasma 8800.

Just like to compare with my settings on the same set.

Enjoy