Sign in to follow this  
Ivalice.

Hitachi 42PD8800TA

Just popped into homezone digital in the city to have a preview.

Looked mighty damn fine to me even at factory default.

Cosmetically very impressive. Far sleeker than the Pana,as the two are shown side by side.

PQ looks more natural than the Pana with richer colours than the old 7800TA.

Side speakers dont detach but no issue as they dont stick out like others with no problem of alignment.

Nice square cable box at the back and controls to the side neatly tucked away.

Price is the only drawback but remember the 2 HDMI's and the motorised swivel.

$4500 delivered is the best so far from them.

I couldnt get you my price as I had a special arrangement.

Im sure if you wait a little while it will come cheaper once they are stocked.

thats good to read lasty as this is one you have been hanging out for !

thats good to read lasty as this is one you have been hanging out for !

Yes FINALLY after all this time.

It was getting to the point where I thought it would never happen and all the press releases were just optical illusions :blink:

I get the little sucker next week hopefully with no dead pixels or mechanical probs. :P

Yes FINALLY after all this time.

It was getting to the point where I thought it would never happen and all the press releases were just optical illusions  :blink:

I get the little sucker next week hopefully with no dead pixels or mechanical probs. :P

great to hear lasty given the effort you put in great to hear your getting one. Any chance once you get it you can do us a favour with a review ?

I actually thought the Pana PQ was better. The Hitachi blacks were washed out.

Regarding HTPC (Home Theatre PC), read the media centre forum and the problems people are having with these stupid resolutions of 1024x1024. You have to zoom in 3x with the Hitachi get the correct picture.

I actually thought the Pana PQ was better.  The Hitachi blacks were washed out.

Regarding HTPC (Home Theatre PC), read the media centre forum and the problems people are having with these stupid resolutions of 1024x1024.  You have to zoom in 3x  with the Hitachi get the correct picture.

sounds strange to me I remember hooking up to my pc the first time year and a half ago via dvi-d and also later tried it via RGB dsub both ways my pc recognised it straight away (the panel must be plug and play) and loaded a whole bunch of custom resolutions I could choose from.

I found htpc a pain in the bum from useability and other factors even though I outlayed a fair bit on the pc and video card etc. Anyways the hitachi has remarkable flexibility with formats I could run at 50hz/60hz even tried 100hz for the fun of it.

I put some professionally taken digital photos up on screen and it was god damn gorgeous !

Also tried some dvd through and also via my usb fusion hdtv as well - can tell you 1080i with the 9 loop that was running at the time was jaw dropping.

perhaps depends on the video card your using but really I don't think theres a more flexible panel out there in regards connectivity and pc formats and freq you can run on it.

As far as blacks I'd be suprised with blacks being washed out. I've watched stuff onscreen and compared shadows with the black surround on the panel and honestly don't know how much blacker it can get. Perhaps your comparing to the pana in which case perhaps the pana has blacker blacks I havent done a side by side with the 8800 and pana as yet.

Yes africandiscus, you have sure got a bee in your bonnet about this 1024x1024 thing. You need to have a reed up on alis panels and if you don't like the idea buy a panna or pio. However you can not get 1366x768 on a 42" plasma you would have to buy an lcd to get this reso on a 42" or smaller display.

For what it's worth the hitachi specs. sheet are one of the few that disclose which input resolutions/frequencies are accepted. With a htpc all you have to do is set the output to anyone of these stated inputs.

I am telling as it is. Just giving people a heads up. Below is a quote from the MCE forum.

I've (just) got a Hitachi 7800, 42" HD Plasma at 1024X1024. The pixels are rectangular so the aspect ratio is 16:9. Windows looks just fine, and so does my MCE content. I watch 16:9 TV and movies in MCE's 3rd zoom mode. 4:3 content looks better in the 2nd zoom mode as the blask bars on each side are "removed".

If you are happy with zooming and fiddling, each to there own.

If you are never planning on using MCE, it is a fantastic panel. I am looking ahead

If you are going to watch 4:3 content on a 16:9 display what do you expect to see in the side areas not used by the 4:3 content? This you might realise is due to the aspect ratio and nothing to do with the resolution. Watching 4:3 material on a 16:9 1366x768 display would have the same result.

People either have the bars either side, stretch the picture to fill the screen (people look at bit fat/broad), or zoom in (letterbox) (thereby deleting some of the top and bottom of the picture and so filling the widescreen).

Why would you buy a 16:9 widescreen display to watch 4:3 material?

sounds strange to me I remember hooking up to my pc the first time year and a half ago via dvi-d and also later tried it via RGB dsub both ways my pc recognised it straight away (the panel must be plug and play) and loaded a whole bunch of custom resolutions I could choose from.

I found htpc a pain in the bum from useability and other factors even though I outlayed a fair bit on the pc and video card etc. Anyways the hitachi has remarkable flexibility with formats I could run at 50hz/60hz even tried 100hz for the fun of it.

I put some professionally taken digital photos up on screen and it was god damn gorgeous !

Also tried some dvd through and also via my usb fusion hdtv as well - can tell you 1080i with the 9 loop that was running at the time was jaw dropping.

perhaps depends on the video card your using but really I don't think theres a more flexible panel out there in regards connectivity and pc formats and freq you can run on it.

As far as blacks I'd be suprised with blacks being washed out. I've watched stuff onscreen and compared shadows with the black surround on the panel and honestly don't know how much blacker it can get. Perhaps your comparing to the pana in which case perhaps the pana has blacker blacks I havent done a side by side with the 8800 and pana as yet.

We also have to remember that the Pana has been displayed on the showroom floor for awhile now and has had its 200 hours as opposed to the 8800 which is straight out of the box and both are set at factory defaults which isnt the ideal calibration.

I like both panels however the flexibility with the Hitachi as you correctly pointed out wins me over.

If you are going to watch 4:3 content on a 16:9 display what do you expect to see in the side areas not used by the 4:3 content? This you might realise is due to the aspect ratio and nothing to do with the resolution. Watching 4:3 material on a 16:9 1366x768 display would have the same result.

People either have the bars either side, stretch the picture to fill the screen (people look at bit fat/broad), or zoom in (letterbox)  (thereby deleting some of the top and bottom of the picture and so filling the widescreen).

Why would you buy a 16:9 widescreen display to watch 4:3 material?

Minor adjustments will be required no matter what panel is used with STB,PC. or DVD player.

Long gone are the days whereby the old CRT is a plug and play and we have to put up with 1/3 of the picture and the rest black bars while watching a movie.

Those who think otherwise are in for a shock and should spend $15 at the cinema.

It is important that a panel has the capability for the correct adjustments to suit the viewer otherwise its going to be a waste of money :blink:

great to hear lasty given the effort you put in great to hear your getting one. Any chance once you get it you can do us a favour with a review ?

Yes I will be happy to give a review once all set up.

I know these things are going to dump in price after xmas.

Someone suggested these will be $3500.

Even though I have a good price now it will cost me an extra $500 for 4 years warranty which is quite expensive.

The big question remains can I hold off for another month or so and get that piece of mind. :blink:

I know these things are going to dump in price after xmas.

Someone suggested these will be $3500.

I doubt it, I am told the cost of those panels are around $4400

Ah Lasty, the eternal question! If you do hold off too long something better will come along in the meantime. You have to jump in eventually :P

I went and had a look at it today at JB and came away very impressed. Straight out of the box, it looked more natural than the Pio and sharper than the Pana (which I thought you were a big fan of, is that right?). I'd pretty much settled on the Pana, but may do the same thing as you and wait a month or so until the price drops on the Hitachi and snap one up.

For a laugh I went next door (literally) to Hardly Normal and asked them about the new Hitachi. "Salesman" said he didn't have them yet and told me they were no good anyway as they were 1024 x 1024 and then proceded to try and sell me a SD NEC for about the same price. Classic! :blink:

Ah Lasty, the eternal question! If you do hold off too long something better will come along in the meantime. You have to jump in eventually  :P

I went and had a look at it today at JB and came away very impressed. Straight out of the box, it looked more natural than the Pio and sharper than the Pana (which I thought you were a big fan of, is that right?). I'd pretty much settled on the Pana, but may do the same thing as you and wait a month or so until the price drops on the Hitachi and snap one up.

For a laugh I went next door (literally) to Hardly Normal and asked them about the new Hitachi. "Salesman" said he didn't have them yet and told me they were no good anyway as they were 1024 x 1024 and then proceded to try and sell me a SD NEC for about the same price. Classic! :blink:

Your right about having to bite the bullet :P

Yes I like the Pana as I think its the best value for money.

I think if the Hitachi falls in price so will the Pana so its a catch 22 there.

I suppose I can always get the extra warranty later on.Will check.

I think the salesmen are hard pressed to sell these days.

With house prices falling and the equity in the house diminishing, the refinance on the mortgage to get an extra few grand as many people seem to be doing wont be an option anymore.

This could put pressure on the retail industry which in turn could lead to lower prices in most goods especially after xmas which isnt too far away :P

Agreed,

I actually had a guy at JB in the city tell me to come back and buy from him in February. His exact words were, "Why would you buy it now when I can sell it to you for $1500 less in three months" Pretty compelling argument.

The catch 22 of prices dropping still leaves you with a decision of what to buy and when to buy it. With any luck this will push the 50" Pana into my price range by the time frame suggested by the JB guy.

Agreed,

I actually had a guy at JB in the city tell me to come back and buy from him in February. His exact words were, "Why would you buy it now when I can sell it to you for $1500 less in three months" Pretty compelling argument.

The catch 22 of prices dropping still leaves you with a decision of what to buy and when to buy it. With any luck this will push the 50" Pana into my price range by the time frame suggested by the JB guy.

I dont think I can wait for February :blink:

But it does make you think where the HD panel at the lower end will be.

Sub $1500 ? :P

Guys, I have just recieved some news from a contact of mine from a leading retailer that the 880TA is in stock and available. If anyone is interested in a group buy, PM me as i have already been given $4250 as a preliminary price for a group buy of the Hitachi's through this retailer!

May be able to get better pricing than this, just depends how many people are interested

let me know

Hi Guys,

I'm newly registered but have been on here for while and have found a lot of interesting information.

I have been comparing and thinking about buying a 42' Plasma for about a year now. From what I can see, the Hitachi's have great picture quality and not many other brands will beat it. The new Viera is good value, but not quite right for looks inputs and noice concerns reported by some.

Today, I saw the 8800TA for the first time at JB Hifi Warringah Mall and I must say it looks much better than the old 7800TA (I did not buy the 7800 because of the looks). The Plasma had obviously default settings and too much red as a result. But colour can easily be adjusted and compared to the Viera and Pioneer next to it It looks at least as good if not better, but with more connections and motorised Swivel stand it is taking advantage. Advertised price was $4495, but I did not talk to anyone about it.

However, I went in to Bing Lee as well and they quoted $3900 if I pre-ordered today. He had 100 on order but they were not confirmed yet, so I did not close the deal. If he had them in stock I would have got it there and then.

Well, I do believe when they start getting stock these will sell for a couple of hundred more than the Viera, I would expect $3700-3800 in the beginning of December.

When is stock expected to arrive?

That is what he couldn't say and this is why I did not put a deposit down, as it may take into December and I think prices may have dropped even further by then. Hitachi will compete with Panasonic for sure.

I'm having an 8800 delivered to my home this Saturday. After a lot of comparing, researching and general dithering and dathering my mind was made up that it's the right panel for me. I currently have a 2 yr old LG 42" SD plasma display and believe now is as good a time for an upgrade as any. You could always wait I suppose but there will probably be some killer Pioneer or Fujitsu model (or something) in another 3 months time, and you'll never end up buying anything cause there is always something better on the horizon. Plus there is a certain excitement in being one of the 1st owners of this fantastic display in this country. Fingers crossed I don't a get a dud with pixel problems or something.

I purchased the 8800 from JBs in Osborne Park, Perth for those interested. They had it set-up with the Panny 500A on one side and the 7800 on the other which made visual comparisons easier. The depth and future proofing of the inputs was the main seller for me plus a number of small things, the remote apparently has buttons assigned for each of the inputs...may not seem like a big deal but after cycling through the inputs on my LG a gazillion times that will be a welcome change, along with the motorised swivel...the number of times I've had to manually tilt the LG from side to side...those days be gone! I also agree with other posters to this thread that the 8800 looks so much more cleaner and stylish than the 7800 aesthetically speaking. I would've preferred no inbuilt speakers or detachables but at least they kind of blend in with the overall look of the display and CNet seems to rate them as possessing fairly decent quality, as much as an inbuilt speaker can have I guess.

If anyone is interested I'll post my first impressions on day 1 and/or a more extensive review after a week of operations and testing. I plan to hook it up to my PC for both gaming and movie watching as well as connect it through the usual home theatre set-up. I also plan to marry it with a DVD player with upscaling capabilities, although I haven't settled on a brand or model as of yet...open to other member suggestions on that one. I currently have the LG wired to my PC via DVI and the 1080P samples from the Microsoft website look nothing short of stunning on the lowly 853 x 480 display. I can only imagine how breathtaking the more highly spec'd Hitachi will look with the same content pumped through either the VGA and/or HDMI inputs.

Pricewise I paid bang on $5,000, but that included 5 years extended warranty, 12 months interest free and delivery. Not a great deal perhaps but I don't believe I was exactly fleeced either. Anyhow this was certainly better than what I could haggle from any of the local HN or Retravision stores, plus I would have to wait until they had stock which could've been another couple of weeks. I can barely wait til Saturday as it is.

Only 3 more sleeps!!! :blink:

Bing Lees stock arrives on the 26 of november I was told.

I was also told it would be in the low 4's at least but if it looks like it will drop into the 3's well I will get one as soon as that happens.

This guy will discount the pana $700 - $800 off rrp so should be same for the hitachi if I haggle hard enough

cheers

I doubt it, I am told the cost of those panels are around $4400

I think that is pure salesmen talk.

There are big margins on these things.

I have a fixed price already at $4100 ( as a favour ) so I doubt vm the retailer will be taking a $300 hit.

I will be negotiating further with him to throw in extra warranty otherwise I will hold off until the price tumbles which I think wont be too long given the state of the retail climate.

You could always wait I suppose but there will probably be some killer Pioneer or Fujitsu model (or something) in another 3 months time, and you'll never end up buying anything cause there is always something better on the horizon.

Funny you should mention that. I spoke to the guys at e-home yesterday and they said that the new NEC is about to be released next month (queue massive thread http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?act=Forward&f=6&t=9554 style!) and it is supposed to be killer. Don't suppose anyone out there has heard anything about it? Can't seem to track anything down on it. :blink:

Well done felix, congratulation.

I wonder if it is possible to hook up to a sound system and then use the plasma's fixed speakers as a centre speaker?