Sign in to follow this  
Ivalice.

Hitachi 42PD8800TA

Which HN did you see the 8900 at?

Ive got one on order, but the HN here are giving me the run around saying they arent released to the public for at least another month.

If you can tell me it would be really appreciated. Cheers :blink:

HN Warrawong (Wollongong) NSW. Was there on Sunday

Hey Everybody,

New member here! My partner and I just purchased our first home and are now in the process of purchasing a nice TV to compliment the house... We are specifically looking for a 42" HD Panel and the Hitachi looks good on our eyes...

With all this talk regarding the run-out of the 8800 in favour of the new 8900, what sort of prices could one expect to get the 8800 for? Sub $3k? Anybody bought one at run-out....

I'm in Brisbane, so if anybody has any preferred retailers/sales people I should talk to, please by all means point me in the right direction... Looking to buy ASAP to snap up a bargain if at all possible!

Thanks for all your help!

let us know what you find out simon re the 8900. And that is a good price on the 8800 which I reckon will be mighty attractive for many for a nice set that it is.

I forgot to tell you that the Store Manager at JB HiFi Prahran is getting back to me in regards to an exact price on the 8900 but he thought it would be around the same price as the new Panasonic. The ticket price for the Pana was $3600 with room to move. He expects it to compete price wise with this model so Hitachi would be competive so not to lose their market share.

Had my 8800 in action for almost a week by now, absoutely love it. nice IQ with no noticeable BURNIN ISSUES at all. anyway just out of curiousity with the new Playstation 3 would it look absolutely fantastic with the 8800 running through HDMI port? and I currently have my screensaver running at 5 mins intervals, does it make a difference if I adjust the timing for the screensavers? finally I would to make a comment on the motorised stand, it is definitely convenient to have as part of the entertainment pleasure. so yea I'm now waiting in full anticipation for the PS3 with its Blu-Ray technology and the supposedly HDMI interface to provide the consumers with top notch IQ's and GFX!!!

... with the 8800 running through HDMI port?

I find the HDMI port to be excellent, but it really depends on the quality of the source material, scaling resolution and cables. I also have component (at 1080i) from my STB looking just as good as HDMI through Monster MV3CV cables.

... and I currently have my screensaver running at 5 mins intervals, does it make a difference if I adjust the timing for the screensavers?

My HTPC screensaver kicks in at 1 minute - better safe than sorry.

... finally I would to make a comment on the motorised stand,

Yeah, I love it. It's an attention grabber. :blink:

... I'm now waiting in full anticipation for the PS3 with its Blu-Ray technology and the supposedly HDMI interface to provide the consumers with top notch IQ's and GFX!!!

I'm hanging out for HDDVD and Blu-Ray too. But I have reservations as to how improved colour bit depth will be handled over the HDMI interface (v1.2 compliant in the 8800, I think). Not sure if the extra bits will make it through the interface or whether it will be limited to 8 bits per channel like DVI is at the moment - I'm still investigating that aspect. Still, the native HD resolution will be great.

Has anyone got a ps2 hooked up to their 8800? How does it look? Does the scaler do a good enough job in scaling the ps2 signal to the screen's resolution?

I want to get a big screen for ps2 so this is one of the options I'm looking at, but a bit hesitant because the screen res is quite different to the ps2's 640x480 (?) signal. Thanks :blink:

Has anyone got a ps2 hooked up to their 8800? How does it look? Does the scaler do a good enough job in scaling the ps2 signal to the screen's resolution?

I want to get a big screen for ps2 so this is one of the options I'm looking at, but a bit hesitant because the screen res is quite different to the ps2's 640x480 (?) signal. Thanks :D

I have a PS2 hooked into my Panasonic 500a 42 inch and it looks awesome.

It trips the light fantastic at the highest resolution. :blink:

I find the HDMI port to be excellent, but it really depends on the quality of the source material, scaling resolution and cables. I also have component (at 1080i) from my STB looking just as good as HDMI through Monster MV3CV cables.

My HTPC screensaver kicks in at 1 minute - better safe than sorry.

Yeah, I love it. It's an attention grabber. :blink:

I'm hanging out for HDDVD and Blu-Ray too. But I have reservations as to how improved colour bit depth will be handled over the HDMI interface (v1.2 compliant in the 8800, I think). Not sure if the extra bits will make it through the interface or whether it will be limited to 8 bits per channel like DVI is at the moment - I'm still investigating that aspect. Still, the native HD resolution will be great.

ATTENTION GRADDBER :D I SERIOUSLY CONCUR, as for the HDMI 1.2-1.3 issue, I wouldnt mind utilising just the Native interface through 1.2, seriously It would definitely still provide excellent visual quality, however I was curious on the fact if the HDMI port could be upgraded through software update by Hitachi :P Fingers crossed on that regard. The spec's as claimed by Hitachi is the simulataneous display of 68.6 Billions colours, hmmm perhaps only something beyond the current DVD could the panel receive its full potential. obviously something similar to Blu-Ray or HD-DVD can it only realize the panel's HD capabelibilties!

simultaneous display of 68.6 Billions colours

... which is 12 bit per channel colour and HDMI 1.3 is supposed to offer up to 16 bits per channel.

What I haven't yet figured out is whether the Hitachi 8800 (claiming 12 bits) uses 12 bits only internally in manipulation of colours (e.g. A/D conversion from component; arithmetic operations) which is finally output at 8 bits per channel for display, or whether they built in the ability (additional to the HDMI 1.1/1.2 spec) to handle and display 12 bit colour over the HDMI interface - i.e. a proprietry adaptation of HDMI.

ATM I can't tell, because all my source devices are 8 bit per channel (STB, DVD, HTPC).

Got to say, Ivalice, for the person who started this thread in the first place, you waited a LONG time to make your purchase. You have more patience than I. :blink:

After watching numerous DVD's It has come to my attention that dispite the fact of 16:9 frames used by the 8800's. The infamous black boarders are apparent on the Top and Bottem directions of the screen. quiet annoying TBH. however there are on few occasions where I see full screen NATIVE (without adjusting any Zoom in functions through the TV) displays through some DVD's I.e The Trueman Show, Japaness Anime "Hell Sing" are all displayed to completely cover the screen without having to display the Black boarders on either sides (Top and Bottom). Could someone please clarify this strange phenomenal please? Cheers

After watching numerous DVD's It has come to my attention that dispite the fact of 16:9 frames used by the 8800's. The infamous black boarders are apparent on the Top and Bottem directions of the screen. quiet annoying TBH. however there are on few occasions where I see full screen NATIVE (without adjusting any Zoom in functions through the TV) displays through some DVD's I.e The Trueman Show, Japaness Anime "Hell Sing" are all displayed to completely cover the screen without having to display the Black boarders on either sides (Top and Bottom). Could someone please clarify this strange phenomenal please? Cheers

Sure - most cinema DVDs are recorded in 2.35:1 rather than the screen's native 1.78:1 (16:9), so you will correctly see black borders top and bottom. Check the back of the DVD case - it usually gives you the aspect ratio.

What I haven't yet figured out is whether the Hitachi 8800 (claiming 12 bits) uses 12 bits only internally in manipulation of colours (e.g. A/D conversion from component; arithmetic operations) which is finally output at 8 bits per channel for display, or whether they built in the ability (additional to the HDMI 1.1/1.2 spec) to handle and display 12 bit colour over the HDMI interface - i.e. a proprietry adaptation of HDMI.

If it converts down to 8 bits to get it to the display, it can't be showing 68billion colors as it claims. It must output 12 bits from it internal processor to the display.

I expect that it is doing all its calculations at something greater than 12 bits e.g. 16 or 32. After all calculations are done, it is reduced to 12 bits for display.

I doubt that it accepts anything other than 8 bit on the HDMI input.

Hi All,

8800 @ JB Macarthur Square $3047 clearance sale. :blink:

Time to go shopping tomorrow.

I know Bing Lee, David Jones, HN & JB all have this model in stock around my way.

I have yet to see a 8900 yet.

Check out this ASPECT RATIO site, :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

Cheers

Struggo

good on you for posting RB. I'm still waiting for my replacment hitachi from HN, was supposed to be a 8800 but if they keep drag it out too long I might even end up with a 8900. So good to read your impressions and think at this stage will be pretty happy with either, anyways good to hear the 8900 is not a backward step for hitachi :D

Hi Alebonau,

Got your new set yet? :blink:

Cheers

Struggo

Hi Alebonau,

Got your new set yet? :blink:

Cheers

Struggo

no call from HN as yet, originally they did say they needed to order one in. And I'm not rinign them to check till I start seing 8900's around the place. I'm in no hurry the old plasma is still going albeit with the white stripes every now and then :D

Got to say, Ivalice, for the person who started this thread in the first place, you waited a LONG time to make your purchase. You have more patience than I. :D

LOL I sure did, didnt I, no remorse though, as I got mine for a descent price of $3.1K cash, Prices like this could not have been achieved merely six month ago. anyway we could finally indulge in the full HD experience offered by the panel! p.s and thx for clarifying the aspect ratio for me HDFAN! appreciated :blink::D:D

Hey Peoples,

Just got back from JB Hi-Fi at Kedron... Best price they could do on the 8800 Panel was $3,070... Anybody think we would be able to see anything lower than this?

The big killer is the extended warranty, 5yrs for $599... He said he could do the Panel and the Extended Warranty for $3,500...

Also, something that I found weird is that he didn't think that the Hitachi could be used to dispaly the upcoming PS3 Console? Something about not being able to accept the signal? Is this correct?

Anbody in Brisbane who has any recommended retailers? What are peoples thoughts on the price given the model is now discontinued in anticipation of the 8900..??

Hey Peoples,

Just got back from JB Hi-Fi at Kedron... Best price they could do on the 8800 Panel was $3,070... Anybody think we would be able to see anything lower than this?

The big killer is the extended warranty, 5yrs for $599... He said he could do the Panel and the Extended Warranty for $3,500...

Also, something that I found weird is that he didn't think that the Hitachi could be used to dispaly the upcoming PS3 Console? Something about not being able to accept the signal? Is this correct?

Anbody in Brisbane who has any recommended retailers? What are peoples thoughts on the price given the model is now discontinued in anticipation of the 8900..??

OMG....Tell me this is just another marketing sales scam... the HDMI capabilities offered through the 8800's are nothing short of expectation. its not the latest version as its claimed by what Sony has endorsed over the Ps3's but I would still expect the 8800's to render Ps3 signal's through it's HDMI inputs flawlessly...otherwise there will be no market's for the Ps3 as the new HDMI 1.3 ports wont be available by early 07... :ph34r:

Hi all,

I'm a little angry at what has happened this evening. This morning I called up a particular retailer requesting a price for the Hitachi 8800. He wouldn't give me his best price over the phone, so I told him what my best price was (buy another retailer). I didn't want to go in only to find out he can't match or beat it. Anyway, the price I quoted him over the phone was $3250 including a 5 year warranty. He agreed to beat this price if I came in tonight. So, after work I make my way down there and after testing the unit out for a bit, I decide to buy. His best price which he had agreed to in person was $3200 (inc. 5yr warranty). I agreed and then made my way to the service desk to pay for the unit. He misteriously walked off and re-appeared 2 minutes later advising me that he can't do it for $3200 as it is too cheap. He said he can do it for $3250. I wasn't too fussed, so thought about it then questioned how he can quote me one price then change his mind 2 minutes later. Anyway, I then agree to purchase the unit for $3250 including the 5 year warranty. I was shocked by what he had to say next. "Sorry, but I can't do that price its too cheap. I can do $3250 for the unit alone, but warranty will be extra". What the?? Is this guy for real? I was so p*ssed off I asked him to call his manager. He then made some lame excuse, saying his manager had just left for the day.

Arrrgghhhh. What a total waste of time! It just annoyed me going to all that trouble, then have him shaft me over like that. Talk about unethical sales! Is there anything I can do about this? It really has frustrated me.

Regards,

Ozy

OMG....Tell me this is just another marketing sales scam... the HDMI capabilities offered through the 8800's are nothing short of expectation. its not the latest version as its claimed by what Sony has endorsed over the Ps3's but I would still expect the 8800's to render Ps3 signal's through it's HDMI inputs flawlessly...otherwise there will be no market's for the Ps3 as the new HDMI 1.3 ports wont be available by early 07... :ph34r:

Invalice, that's what I was thinking... The PS3 as you mentioned would have no market if you needed the latest and greatest TV to be even able to utilise the PS3... I figured that the Hitachi would accept the signal of the PS3 then I assume scale it down to the Unit's capabilities, am I correct?

Invalice, that's what I was thinking... The PS3 as you mentioned would have no market if you needed the latest and greatest TV to be even able to utilise the PS3... I figured that the Hitachi would accept the signal of the PS3 then I assume scale it down to the Unit's capabilities, am I correct?

:D Definitely, its out of logic to even assume Sony would lose 99% of their

estimated market share by mandatory consumers to upgrade to HDMI 1.3...thats irrational and completly

out of question coming from a respectable global manufacturer. Non the less I would regard the 8800 to

handle "Ps3" successfully this is without doubt :blink:

Hi all,

I'm a little angry at what has happened this evening. This morning I called up a particular retailer requesting a price for the Hitachi 8800. He wouldn't give me his best price over the phone, so I told him what my best price was (buy another retailer). I didn't want to go in only to find out he can't match or beat it. Anyway, the price I quoted him over the phone was $3250 including a 5 year warranty. He agreed to beat this price if I came in tonight. So, after work I make my way down there and after testing the unit out for a bit, I decide to buy. His best price which he had agreed to in person was $3200 (inc. 5yr warranty). I agreed and then made my way to the service desk to pay for the unit. He misteriously walked off and re-appeared 2 minutes later advising me that he can't do it for $3200 as it is too cheap. He said he can do it for $3250. I wasn't too fussed, so thought about it then questioned how he can quote me one price then change his mind 2 minutes later. Anyway, I then agree to purchase the unit for $3250 including the 5 year warranty. I was shocked by what he had to say next. "Sorry, but I can't do that price its too cheap. I can do $3250 for the unit alone, but warranty will be extra". What the?? Is this guy for real? I was so p*ssed off I asked him to call his manager. He then made some lame excuse, saying his manager had just left for the day.

Arrrgghhhh. What a total waste of time! It just annoyed me going to all that trouble, then have him shaft me over like that. Talk about unethical sales! Is there anything I can do about this? It really has frustrated me.

Regards,

Ozy

Report the PR%#K to fair trading!

Call his manager and give him a mouth full also.

Regards,

Ozy

After all your research and build up it must have been dissapointing. Hope you get the 8800 somewhere else at a reasonable price.

Philip

Hi,

My 8800 arrived yesterday, set it up with component, entered suggested settings from earlier in this thread, sat back last night with a slightly awed feeling while watching, well worth the purchase. I might add that this is with a cheap sd stb, I'll try to wait until a decent hd pvr hits the market.

All of this purchase was based upon information from these forums, long may they live!!!!

Regards and thanks to all, Bill