• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what sort of stuff does she buy and sell enforcer?  not baby stuff or toys - sorry to go off topic?

Female clothes mainly also lingerie, sexy pvc vests, knickers and all kinds of knick knacks including , books, badges almost anything actually.

Picks them up from garage sales, liquidation auctions op shops etc etc.

We have 2 rooms at back of house full of stuff she has bought ,she has spent a cpl of grand on stock and allready made loads more than that in rtn.

Its amazing what people will buy actually and pay good bucks for

It started out as a hobby now is an obsession, our account says it is a business and needs an abn number proper tax records etc ect.

cheers

Hi all, nice to meet  everybody on this forum, after my initial period of hold back on this forum I have decided to make my first post and needless to say I need as many suggestions and opinions as possible from you fine people  :blink:

To begin my enquires I would like to possibly explain my situation and clarify it as simple as it should. now I have begin looking around for an Hitachi display for sometime now and has finally decided to go with the 42inch 7800series, incidentally I went down to my local JB and begin my hunt for the display,  to my disappiontment I was adviced from the JB sales rep that this model was no longer available due to an replacement (the 8800 series) and he has left me with his name and detail to come back in roughly a fornight time (NOV10-15th) to check out the newer models of Hitachi plasma. namely the 8800 series. so far I have only obtained some relative infomations in regards to the 8800 from the HONG KONG and SINGAPORE Hitachi websites  (I must admit though, the newer 8800 does indeed impress me with its sexy aesthetic appearance and the DUAL HDMI future is also looking very promising), however I wouldnt mind at all seen one in real life.

My question is

1. Is it definitely worthwhile to hold back and wait for the newer version?

2. has anyone seen it in real life? if so, then how good does it compare with its predecessors?

3.  Is there somewhere I can get a detailed brochure or leaflets on the 8800 series? and is there any other electronical stores (apart from Jb) who has the 8800 on display?

so any suggestions and opinion in regards to the Hitachi plasma's would be much appreciated  :P  :P  :P

Latest ticketed price on the Hitachi 42PD8800TA $4599.

Thats without negotiation so expect them around $4200.

Given that Pana delivers a great PQ its quite a large premium to pay and I would expect Hitachi if its going to sell these puppies to come nearer $4000.

Features

The Hitachi 42PD8800TA boasts a screen resolution of 1024x1024 pixels, which is on the high end of things for plasma sets of this size (the 55-inch upgrade model has a resolution of 1366x768 pixels). That means high definition signals shouldn't be a problem for this Hitachi, which is a pity since the Hitachi 42PD8800TA only comes with a built-in analog tuner. Its other panel specifications are equally high -- 3000:1 contrast ratio and 1400 cd/m2 brightness

Why are they still putting analog tuners into HD TV's?

I don't get it , analog tv is going to be switched off digital is the future.

The cynic in me might suggest inbuilt digital recievers are being held back for some sort of future marketing ploy.

I don't want to have to bugger around with STB's I mean it's supposed to be DIGITAL TV but it really isn't most tv's on the market seem to be only " DIGITAL CAPABLE" .

The average person just wants to be able to buy a DTV that they can plug in and watch. Until DTV can deliver this I am affraid the whole DTV thing will be looked on with skeptism.

cheers

Features

The Hitachi 42PD8800TA boasts a screen resolution of 1024x1024 pixels, which is on the high end of things for plasma sets of this size (the 55-inch upgrade model has a resolution of 1366x768 pixels). That means high definition signals shouldn't be a problem for this Hitachi, which is a pity since the Hitachi 42PD8800TA only comes with a built-in analog tuner. Its other panel specifications are equally high -- 3000:1 contrast ratio and 1400 cd/m2 brightness

Why are they still putting analog tuners into HD TV's?

I don't get it , analog tv is going to be switched off digital is the future.

The cynic in me might suggest inbuilt digital recievers are being held back for some sort of future marketing ploy.

I don't want to have to bugger around with STB's I mean it's supposed to be DIGITAL TV but it really isn't  most tv's on the market seem to be only " DIGITAL CAPABLE" .

The average person just wants to be able to buy a DTV that they can plug in and watch. Until DTV can deliver this I am affraid the whole DTV thing will be looked on with skeptism.

cheers

Yes I agree with you.

I will be running mine through a PC so it wont worry me if it had a digital tuner or not but for some its a pain in the rectum.

very informative and indeed guarantees the superiorty of the desired hitachi :blink:

Hitachi Australia has finally released their specs.

http://aus.hitachi.com.au/hitachi/content/...cts.asp?ID=1773

Also to have a look at the panel inputs,remote,sideview got to;

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/tvs/0...9096300p,00.htm

and click on the pictures for zoom in. :P

Just a quick question please someone, I looked at pics of the panel on this site

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/tvs/0...6300p-4+,00.htm?

I noticed a AV outlet for a subwoofer and additional speakers is this correct.

If I bought this panel and pluged a subwoofer into it , would it basically just add more bass ? 

cheers

Not sure.

I would expect so though.

This baby has 10 speakers albeit at low wattage.

I will be running mine via a PC using the sound card with the logitech Z5500's

The Mrs. will be using the panel speakers for Oprah :blink:

Not sure.

I would expect so though.

This baby has 10 speakers albeit at low wattage.

I will be running mine via a PC using the sound card with the logitech Z5500's

The Mrs. will be using the panel speakers for Oprah  :P

Thanks .. the reason I ask is that I don't really want a 5.1 surround system at this stage, I mainly watch sport and some movies and missus still wonders why we got rid of the old 20 yr National Panasonic crt a cpl yrs ago. Even though the picture displayed a lovely green .... all over !!

See I have to keep it all pretty simple for her, she breaks out in a sweat if she has to try and answer a mobile or make a call using one. She has a degree + a postgrade degree but still struggles with the climate control in the bloody car so I have to Idiot proof anything remotely technical .

Anyway Im off to Myers to kick a few plasmas :blink:

BTW : Just got the new DSE catalogue in the mail has the 42" Viera listed at $4898 .. save $100, What a bargain :P

I'm still not sold on those unattachable speakers. Hmm.

Yes I did worry about those as well however since they have decreased the length they dont appear overbearing.

The detachable speakers are also a worry as all the plasma makes i have seen that have detachables dont seem to fit perfectly square and when attached they make it look cheap.

good luck enforcer look fwd to hearing how you go...

Hehe tks yeah like I said I just was doing some tyre kicking no Hitachis there but had a real good look at the Pioneer Fuji and Viera .

Pioneer looked the best in shop may have been the way it was setup though.

I want to have a good look at the Hitachi 42PD8800TA before I make a firm decision, but I definately am leaning towards a Hitachi.

Brother reckons I will get a better deal after christmas probably mid January the way prices have been droping he may be right.

Do we have many people here in Sydney interested in one of these units ?

If so we may be able to get a group deal through one shop any takers?

Hey Lasty mayby the guy your dealing with may want to move a few more for your price .... just a thought.

cheers

Enforcer, happy to help with a group buy if interested, i have a contact at a major retailer so if there are enough numbers (3 min) i will refer you to him and you can deal with him directly.

Enforcer, happy to help with a group buy if interested, i have a contact at a major retailer so if there are enough numbers (3 min) i will refer you to him and you can deal with him directly.

Sounds good mate hopefully a few more may be interested as well.

Still trying to find one in a store so I can have a look at it. I have checked out all the major stores and can't find one atm.

thanks

Checked out a Bing Lee today and spoke to him about the Hitachi, he didn't have any info on it so he rang Hitachi. They have 100 on order and rrp will be $4999 for the 42PD8800TAKIT but dealer said he should be able to do a deal around the low 4's .

He obviously couldn't do a firm price as it's not in stock and won't be until the end of the month.

cheers

Hehe tks yeah like I said I just was doing some tyre kicking no Hitachis there but had a real good look at the  Pioneer Fuji and Viera .

Pioneer looked the best in shop may have been the way it was setup though.

I want to have a good look at the Hitachi 42PD8800TA before I make a firm decision, but I definately am leaning towards a Hitachi.

Brother reckons I will get a better deal after christmas probably mid January the way prices have been droping he may be right.

Do we have many people here in Sydney interested in one of these units ?

If so we may be able to get a group deal through one shop  any takers?

Hey Lasty mayby the guy your dealing with may want to move a few more for your price .... just a thought.

cheers

Yes will ask him. Hopefully getting the call to see it this week before closing the deal.

Make sure you have a good watch of the screen. I bought (and took back) a 42PD6000TA Hidef model only to find it had an annoying picture quirk that the unit in the store also did.

When you go from a dark to bright image the set auto adjusts the contrast down. It is slow and in segments.. Same goes for going from bright to dark. In fast moving scenes this is very annoying.

Earlier models have a feature called "Black Enhancement" which you can turn off to fix but the 6000TA didn't....Dont know about the 8800.

Just look for this image issue before you take delivery.

Make sure you have a good watch of the screen. I bought (and took back) a 42PD6000TA Hidef model only to find it had an annoying picture quirk that the unit in the store also did.

When you go from a dark to bright image the set auto adjusts the contrast down. It is slow and in segments.. Same goes for going from bright to dark. In fast moving scenes this is very annoying.

Earlier models have a feature called "Black Enhancement" which you can turn off to fix but the 6000TA didn't....Dont know about the 8800.

Just look for this image issue before you take delivery.

Thanks for the heads up.

I will be going over this baby with a fine tooth comb before making any decisions.

If I could just back track to the resolution issue.....

What is bad (or good) about the 1024 x 1024 resolution?  I tried reading that link someone posted, but it was too technical for me.

It is bad because it is not 16:9. Even 1024x768 is bad because that is 4:3 and not 16:9

1366x768 is great, that is true widescreen

If you ever plan to set up a HTPC, GOOD LUCK. you have to use the zoom features, its very messy.

It is bad because it is not 16:9.  Even 1024x768 is bad because that is 4:3 and not 16:9

If you ever plan to set up a HTPC, GOOD LUCK. you have to use the zoom features, its very messy.

So what is the impllications of this? You still have a widescreen tv, does the picture quality reduce or something?

What is HTPC?

(Bye the way, thanks for the help on this, it clears up alot.)

Just had a good play with the 8800 at Clive Peters Mt.Gravatt. Physically I like the look of the unit very much. The speakers are very un-intrusive.

PQ was hard to tell. Really depends on settings. eg Days of our lives looked like crap on dynamic. ( I know Days like like crap anyway ). But was ok on Movie. TEN and NINE HD looked very good on dynamic and excellent on natural. I'd say it's got the good points that the new Pioneer has but a slightly smoother picture like the Panny has. Ended up very impressed with this unit. My only negative thing I'd say is the motorized stand. Not a smooth slow movement, it jerks.

Got quoted $4999.

Went to JB HiFi Mt Gravatt and they had it on display and standard price $4495.

The salesman said to me it will be $3500 after X-Mas.

I tried very hard and put my ears up to the unit and couldn't hear any buzz.

Only 1 year warranty.

• Moderators
If I could just back track to the resolution issue.....

What is bad (or good) about the 1024 x 1024 resolution?  I tried reading that link someone posted, but it was too technical for me.

with its 1024 line displays some of the best 1080i pictures I've seen is been with these screens. I've posted many times just how gorgeous it can look.

go check it out for your self rather than postulating. as far as technology differnt plasma types I've seen good and bad with all types and its the implementation that makes a bigger difference than the base technology itself.

• Moderators
Just had a good play with the 8800 at Clive Peters Mt.Gravatt. Physically I like the look of the unit very much. The speakers are very un-intrusive.

PQ was hard to tell. Really depends on settings. eg Days of our lives looked like crap on dynamic. ( I know Days like like crap anyway ). But was ok on Movie. TEN and NINE HD looked very good on dynamic and excellent on natural. I'd say it's got the good points that the new Pioneer has but a slightly smoother picture like the Panny has. Ended up very impressed with this unit. My only negative thing I'd say is the motorized stand. Not a smooth slow movement, it jerks.

Got quoted $4999.

Went to JB HiFi Mt Gravatt and they had it on display and standard price $4495.

The salesman said to me it will be $3500 after X-Mas.

I tried very hard and put my ears up to the unit and couldn't hear any buzz.

Only 1 year warranty.

I know on my hitachi I would be wasting my time with anyohter setting bar the natural settig as all else tends to artificially boost to detrement of overall pq.

It is bad because it is not 16:9.  Even 1024x768 is bad because that is 4:3 and not 16:9

Just popped into homezone digital in the city to have a preview.

Looked mighty damn fine to me even at factory default.

Cosmetically very impressive. Far sleeker than the Pana,as the two are shown side by side.

PQ looks more natural than the Pana with richer colours than the old 7800TA.

Side speakers dont detach but no issue as they dont stick out like others with no problem of alignment.

Nice square cable box at the back and controls to the side neatly tucked away.

Price is the only drawback but remember the 2 HDMI's and the motorised swivel.

$4500 delivered is the best so far from them.

I couldnt get you my price as I had a special arrangement.

Im sure if you wait a little while it will come cheaper once they are stocked.

I know on my hitachi I would be wasting my time with anyohter setting bar the natural settig as all else tends to artificially boost to detrement of overall pq.

Same here with my Hitachi 7800. I set everything to natural and turn off all enhancements. By the way, the 7800 power swivel is NOT jerky at all. Maybe that 8800 set happened to be a bit faulty? And yes, I think so far, all the Hitachis do not have the buzzing problem at all.

Cheers.

• Moderators
~ And yes, I think so far, all the Hitachis do not have the buzzing problem at all.

Cheers.

thats right certainly my older gen hitachi does not buzz either and it doesn't have a fan for any fan noise noise either.

• Moderators
Just popped into homezone digital in the city to have a preview.

Looked mighty damn fine to me even at factory default.

Cosmetically very impressive. Far sleeker than the Pana,as the two are shown side by side.

PQ looks more natural than the Pana with richer colours than the old 7800TA.

Side speakers dont detach but no issue as they dont stick out like others with no problem of alignment.

Nice square cable box at the back and controls to the side neatly tucked away.

Price is the only drawback but remember the 2 HDMI's and the motorised swivel.

$4500 delivered is the best so far from them.

I couldnt get you my price as I had a special arrangement.

Im sure if you wait a little while it will come cheaper once they are stocked.

thats good to read lasty as this is one you have been hanging out for !

thats good to read lasty as this is one you have been hanging out for !

Yes FINALLY after all this time.

It was getting to the point where I thought it would never happen and all the press releases were just optical illusions :blink:

I get the little sucker next week hopefully with no dead pixels or mechanical probs. :P

• Moderators
Yes FINALLY after all this time.

It was getting to the point where I thought it would never happen and all the press releases were just optical illusions  :blink:

I get the little sucker next week hopefully with no dead pixels or mechanical probs. :P

great to hear lasty given the effort you put in great to hear your getting one. Any chance once you get it you can do us a favour with a review ?

I actually thought the Pana PQ was better. The Hitachi blacks were washed out.

Regarding HTPC (Home Theatre PC), read the media centre forum and the problems people are having with these stupid resolutions of 1024x1024. You have to zoom in 3x with the Hitachi get the correct picture.

• Moderators
I actually thought the Pana PQ was better.  The Hitachi blacks were washed out.

Regarding HTPC (Home Theatre PC), read the media centre forum and the problems people are having with these stupid resolutions of 1024x1024.  You have to zoom in 3x  with the Hitachi get the correct picture.

sounds strange to me I remember hooking up to my pc the first time year and a half ago via dvi-d and also later tried it via RGB dsub both ways my pc recognised it straight away (the panel must be plug and play) and loaded a whole bunch of custom resolutions I could choose from.

I found htpc a pain in the bum from useability and other factors even though I outlayed a fair bit on the pc and video card etc. Anyways the hitachi has remarkable flexibility with formats I could run at 50hz/60hz even tried 100hz for the fun of it.

I put some professionally taken digital photos up on screen and it was god damn gorgeous !

Also tried some dvd through and also via my usb fusion hdtv as well - can tell you 1080i with the 9 loop that was running at the time was jaw dropping.

perhaps depends on the video card your using but really I don't think theres a more flexible panel out there in regards connectivity and pc formats and freq you can run on it.

As far as blacks I'd be suprised with blacks being washed out. I've watched stuff onscreen and compared shadows with the black surround on the panel and honestly don't know how much blacker it can get. Perhaps your comparing to the pana in which case perhaps the pana has blacker blacks I havent done a side by side with the 8800 and pana as yet.