Hitachi 42PD8800TA

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Gamblor, you got a keen price all the same. DJ's told me they would only do the warranty/interest deals on the sticker prices. At $3999- it seems more like a marketing exercise than a good price/deal promotion.

sounds like rubbish to me...they say they price match, so hold them to it...

i also recall the same price being offer using their store card and 24 months interest free...

Does anyone have one of these paired with a Topfield 5000 PVRt? I was wondering what the picture quality was like and what type of connection you used - I'm assuming YUV?

thanks

John

I have a Topfield 4400 (same as 5000 PVRt, but no USB) connected to the Hitachi 8800. I tried using component cables (with a SCART>Component adaptor) and the PQ wasn't very good (greenish tinge). Connected with s-video, it looks superb.

hey guys... i'm new to these forums... but i was just wondering, with the 8800, is there a way to check what input signal is being displayed? i've got the LG9921 dvd player and was wondering if the HDCP hack is working and that my DVDs are being displayed at either 720p or 1080i...

the player itself doesn't display the output signal... so i was wondering if i could possibly check via the Hitachi...

:P wow, I honestly wasn't expecting this many replies and feedbacks, thank you guys for your effort, in the lights of what many has to comment about this PDP (the 8800TA). I felt it is perhaps a suitable time to give it a serious consideration.

:P I live in Melbourne, having not properly doing my research on the plasma tv lately, Im afraid Im illy informed on prices. so I guess my only concern is .... where exactly could I find the best deals on a 8800 ??? someone please enlighten me :blink:

Again deep thanks to "Lasty" your enthusiasm over this matter has deeply motivated me :P

Edited by Ivalice.

I have been looking at getting this plasma & getting a stb later on. I spoke to a salesman on saturday & he said it isn't worth getting the tv if you don't get a stb with it.

How true is this & does anyone have any recomendations for a stb?

He said he can do a deal ($4000 for the plamsa ext wty & stb) on a Hotchip stb (not sure on model) but I read that some people have had problems with this stb & plasma.

Great site so far. I still new to all this stuff.

Cheers

Nathan

Does anyone have any answers that could help?

Thanks

Most people on this forum would have a STB (either SD or HD) so we would agree with the salesguy. The question is more what type of stb do you get, and do you need a PVR? For me, PVR functionality is more important so I got an SD PVR. Others would get an HD STB to go with this TV. Personally I'm waiting for a decent HD PVR!

cheers,

John

:P wow, I honestly wasn't expecting this many replies and feedbacks, thank you guys for your effort, in the lights of what many has to comment about this PDP (the 8800TA). I felt it is perhaps a suitable time to give it a serious consideration.

:P I live in Melbourne, having not properly doing my research on the plasma tv lately, Im afraid Im illy informed on prices. so I guess my only concern is .... where exactly could I find the best deals on a 8800 ??? someone please enlighten me :blink:

Again deep thanks to "Lasty" your enthusiasm over this matter has deeply motivated me :P

Hey Ivalice.

Go and see David at Clive Peeters in Moorabbin.

I paid $3500 for mine on 24months interest free, and then i think 469 for extended warranty, for $3969 all up.

They were really good with service and very friendly, and if you arent wanting interest free then you can bargain some more.

I have multiple inputs coming into this TV. I'm trying to get audio out to connect to my amp but I don't seem to get any sound. Any ideas?

cheers,

John

John, I'm only new here so please excuse me if the following is common knowledge:

If you are talking about getting audio out of the screen via "Monitor Out" then this will only work for equipment connected through S-Video or Composite inputs. (See top page 15 User Manual). I've got no idea why it doesn't work for Component.

Edited by thecaz

John, I'm only new here so please excuse me if the following is common knowledge:

If you are talking about getting audio out of the screen via "Monitor Out" then this will only work for equipment connected through S-Video or Composite inputs. (See top page 15 User Manual). I've got no idea why it doesn't work for Component.

Bugger!! Thanks for the info - You know, I did "read" that section but the brain filtered out "composite" and only saw "AV1-AV5" and as I was connected to AV1 (via component) I thought it was ok :blink: It does seem like a limitation to me - I can connect directly to the amp but it's not an A/V receiver and doesn't have a lot of inputs, so connecting other devices to the TV might be an issue...

Thanks again,

John

Hi All,

Looks like my insurance company will be providing this screen to replace a stolen 37PD5000ta. I'm just curious about a few things:

1) I see that it has twin HDMI inputs, does this mean that it's HDCP enabled? hence, compatible with Bluray & HD-DVD etc

2) People have been discussing the tweaks required to get the picture looking fab, are these compiled somewhere?

3) Is there someway I can secure it so I doesn't go walkabout like the last one?

Thanks for reading my 1st post! cheers.

Hey all. Have been watching the price of this panel for months and previously was quoted $3850 for panel and extended warranty. Have been an absolute pain in the butt to my local retailers, but today finally took the plunge. Hardly Normal Chadstone of all places $3200 panel + $400 extended warranty = $3600 cash/credit. Best price I have personally found and was most impressed. Those credit cards could not get out of my wallet any quick enough!! :blink:

Just wanted to say I purchased the 42 PD8800TA last week and coupled it with a Toshiba HD-C26h as I wanted a HDMI-HDMI connection - still can't get the smile off my face.

PQ is fantastic and swivel base feature alone is worth every cent ( especially as I am in a room with windows on N and W sides so it greatly help reduce glare off the panel.

Only wish I could have extended the budget to get the 55" but that money will go towards a HD-PVR whenever one is released.

Must say , the best thing about this forum has been reading the feedback of other users ( and also those of other makes ) and then comparing them in a showroom side by side.

Once a decision had been made, the negotiating was easy - when one couldn't be bamboozled by salesman trying to peddle surplus stock.

Still think the Plasmas represent excellent bang for buck cf. LCD's until the SED become readily available.

Tx all,

DocBalls

Just wanted to say I purchased the 42 PD8800TA last week and coupled it with a Toshiba HD-C26h as I wanted a HDMI-HDMI connection - still can't get the smile off my face.

PQ is fantastic and swivel base feature alone is worth every cent ( especially as I am in a room with windows on N and W sides so it greatly help reduce glare off the panel.

Only wish I could have extended the budget to get the 55" but that money will go towards a HD-PVR whenever one is released.

Must say , the best thing about this forum has been reading the feedback of other users ( and also those of other makes ) and then comparing them in a showroom side by side.

Once a decision had been made, the negotiating was easy - when one couldn't be bamboozled by salesman trying to peddle surplus stock.

Still think the Plasmas represent excellent bang for buck cf. LCD's until the SED become readily available.

Tx all,

DocBalls

Congratulations on your purchase. I have the same setup (8800 & HD-C26H STB) and I am also very impressed with the picture since the day I fired it all up.

Hope you may enjoy it as much as we have.

Cheers

Yep, fully agree - I have an odd-shaped room and the swivel allows me to adjust it to where I'm sitting.

Yep - especially the 42" market.

cheers,

John

Has anyone tried using the RGB port on the back of the 8800 ? I've plugged my laptop in and the quality looks really bad. What is the ideal resolution I should run?

I dropped i down to 1024x768 and it looked OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi docballs/JanDG,

I'm new and from Singapore. Saw yr postings that you have connected DVD to 8800TA via HDMI. So hope you can ans my first question. Thanks.

I'm planning to buy a 42" Plasma and after weeks of comparison among Pioneer, Panansonics and Hitachi and reading this forum (thanks all 8800TA owners), I've decided to buy 42PD8800TA. However, I've 2 questions:

1) Hitachi Singapore spec states: HDMI 1 (Video) ; HDMI 2 (Video) + 3.5mm Stereo Mini Jack

- I thought HDMI carrys Video and Audio (The High-Definition Multi-media Interface (HDMI) is an industry-supported, uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface). Does that mean that this plasma will not accept digital audio?

2) I searched the net and could only find the product manual (catalog) in Hong Kong Web. Is this applicable to the 8800TA in Singapore? Where can I get the Singapore 8800TA catalog?

Hi docballs/JanDG,

I'm new and from Singapore. Saw yr postings that you have connected DVD to 8800TA via HDMI. So hope you can ans my first question. Thanks.

I'm planning to buy a 42" Plasma and after weeks of comparison among Pioneer, Panansonics and Hitachi and reading this forum (thanks all 8800TA owners), I've decided to buy 42PD8800TA. However, I've 2 questions:

1) Hitachi Singapore spec states: HDMI 1 (Video) ; HDMI 2 (Video) + 3.5mm Stereo Mini Jack

- I thought HDMI carrys Video and Audio (The High-Definition Multi-media Interface (HDMI) is an industry-supported, uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface). Does that mean that this plasma will not accept digital audio?

2) I searched the net and could only find the product manual (catalog) in Hong Kong Web. Is this applicable to the 8800TA in Singapore? Where can I get the Singapore 8800TA catalog?

Mini-jack is for when a dvi-hdmi cable is used (i go dvi from my LG5100 stb to the hdmi on the hitachi) allows audio from the hitachi's speakers and then just pass an optical audio cable to the surround receiver...hdmi-hdmi delivers digital audio on both though (like my dvd player)

Mini-jack is for when a dvi-hdmi cable is used (i go dvi from my LG5100 stb to the hdmi on the hitachi) allows audio from the hitachi's speakers and then just pass an optical audio cable to the surround receiver...hdmi-hdmi delivers digital audio on both though (like my dvd player)

Gamblor, thank you for your reply.

Has anyone tried using the RGB port on the back of the 8800 ? I've plugged my laptop in and the quality looks really bad. What is the ideal resolution I should run?

I dropped i down to 1024x768 and it looked OK.

Mate you should try VGA cable and crank it to 1280 x 1024 :blink:

recently bought this panel from JB...and took over a month before they delivered it...they blame hitachi for not having stock. Anyway finally got it along with tv unit and LG STB (LST-5100P). Having problems with the HDMI

when i connect the STB to the panel via DVI-HDMI, the panel says "no sync signal"....thats worrying...does anyone know whats the problem?? or even better how can i fix it?? THX

recently bought this panel from JB...and took over a month before they delivered it...they blame hitachi for not having stock. Anyway finally got it along with tv unit and LG STB (LST-5100P). Having problems with the HDMI

when i connect the STB to the panel via DVI-HDMI, the panel says "no sync signal"....thats worrying...does anyone know whats the problem?? or even better how can i fix it?? THX

Check the connections to make sure they're in tight and sorry to state the obvious but make sure you have the right HDMI input selected (there are 2).

cheers,

John

Mine only says "no sync signal" when the LG STB is turned off...check the output signal you have selected for the STB as well...i have the same set up and works fine with DVI/HDMI cable + mini jack for sound through tv...

good luck