Guys,

I will be ordering the Hitachi PD8800TA tomorrow. Was looking to match this with a HD set top box. Can someone with this model plasma recommend which box they are have had success with ? Also, will I actually get a better a better picture from World cup viewing on SBS with the HD set top box or not ? Otherwise I will buy the set top box at a later date. Thanks

When I purchased my 8800 I compared a HD & SD STB (Pana) and could see no difference in the quality of the HD and SD signal from ABC and SBS (remembering they are just upconverting SD - no native HD). If the majority of your viewing is on these then perhaps getting a SD may be all you need at this stage. Then why a HD panel? Because at my viewing distance the HD panel did look better than the SD panel with a SD signal.

Don't even consider using the analogue tuner - you will wonder why you bought it.

Incidentally I will be going HD once a reliable HD PVR is on the market.

Philip

just asked about the new model and got this response but i cant find any info about it. anyone know anything further?

My Hitachi dealer agreed : "I've been told by

Hitachi that they should be here for me to sell by the end of the year" (via email) Always a better model on the way but if you wait for the best you will never buy at all!!!

Philip

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if you are into gaming in any way you're going to love how the Hitachi pairs with either the Xbox 360 or PC games.

Have you or has any one else faced any burn in or residual image issues with the 8800TA when playing your Xbox360 or any other video games? I am thinking of hooking my PS2 up but a lot of the games i have have static images. Should i really be scared of burn in with the 8800TA or possible settings i might use whilst playing the PS2?

Have you or has any one else faced any burn in or residual image issues with the 8800TA when playing your Xbox360 or any other video games? I am thinking of hooking my PS2 up but a lot of the games i have have static images. Should i really be scared of burn in with the 8800TA or possible settings i might use whilst playing the PS2?

I have an xbox connected to mine, just reduce your contrast and brightness settings during your run in period of approx 100 hours and you should be fine and dandy. I make a rule of a max of 1 hour game playing then change the input to give the screen a refresh and have had no problems.

I haven't had any problems with burn-in. Occasionally I get temporary image retention which last seconds or minutes but nothing permanent. I play a lot of games on the 8800 over the past 6 months and static images like HUDs or even television station watermarks have never burned in. I've turned down the colour, contrast and brightness settings not because of fear of burn-in but because it provides a better more natural picture in imo. I recommend a picture mode of "cinema" or "natural" rather than "dynamic" and then tweak from there to your liking.

Of course it never hurts to be cautious but I don't recall any 8800 or 7800 owners complaining about permanent burn-in. Maybe it's got something to do with ALiS panels being less susceptible...I don't know.

All I can say in my personal experience with this display is that my viewing and gaming habits have not been dictated by fear of burn-in and I've seen no evidence of such permanent damage so far. Enjoy!

Guys,

Many thanks to replies to my earlier post.

I have agreed on a price for the Hitachi 42PD8800TA and Topfield 7000 set top box and will be paying cash tomorrow morning. My question is this: For the 5 year warranty (as apposed to standard 1 year warranty) Bing Lee want an extra $300. Do I really need this additional warranty of 5 years on the Hitachi ? I know it iw subjective, but would appreciate your thoughts. Is it worth the $300 ?

yes it is, read some of my posts as to what problems iv had with this unit - maybe im just unlucky but read for piece of mind. I recommend the extended warranty, especially on plasma technology.

$3,100 including 5yr warranty including delivery, Bing Lee Brookvale!

Damn I wish we had Bing Lee here in Melbourne! I paid $3800 at Retravision with 5 yr warranty and delivery. My "contact" at JB said he couldn't go any lower than $3450 for just the plasma, which is what Retravision were offering me, also with a discounted warranty.

This plasma copes very well with xbox 360's PGR3 driving at 210mph through the streets of NY, running 1080i. Absolutely stunning.

Got the 42PD8800 and Topfield 7000 combo a couple of days back. I can't believe its taken me this long to get a flat screen tv but its incredible.

Just a couple of questions:

1. what picture settings do you use to watch sport on the 8800? I like the default cinema function when i watch DVDs (nice tone to faces)

2. how do u run in this plasma?

As an aside, shops do the unit no favour by setting the dynamic mode in the shops. the picture looks blown out, saturated and harsh (at least to my eyes). at first, i thought the Pana PV 60a (hd) looked better but once you played around with the settings, the PQ was the same if not the better. Plus the set looks damm sexy with the swivel base.

Appreciate your thoughts on the PQ settings.

Cheers

ps. thanks doggo for the bing lee (alexandria) tip.

Got the 42PD8800 and Topfield 7000 combo a couple of days back. I can't believe its taken me this long to get a flat screen tv but its incredible.

Just a couple of questions:

1. what picture settings do you use to watch sport on the 8800? I like the default cinema function when i watch DVDs (nice tone to faces)

2. how do u run in this plasma?

As an aside, shops do the unit no favour by setting the dynamic mode in the shops. the picture looks blown out, saturated and harsh (at least to my eyes). at first, i thought the Pana PV 60a (hd) looked better but once you played around with the settings, the PQ was the same if not the better. Plus the set looks damm sexy with the swivel base.

Appreciate your thoughts on the PQ settings.

Cheers

ps. thanks doggo for the bing lee (alexandria) tip.

If you read back through this thread there are suggestions on settings. As a brief comment from my experience : the cinema setting is very close to the set-up I did with DVE calibration disc. Also you should have a read of the Topfeild 7000 thread to see if there are any quirks with this tuner. Also there are some DIY calibration websites such as http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-5085739-2.html?tag=dir .

Hope you enjoy the world cup!

Philip

Hitachi 42 PD8800TA, Topfield TF7000FT, delivery $3340 Bing Lee

Was in Retravision Mentone, Melbourne today. List price for the Hitachi 8800 was $3349 and they had it advertised as a " Run Out " model. I asked the salesman when the the new model was coming in and he couldn't tell me. Can anyone tell me why this Plasma is $300 to $400 cheaper in Sydney than Melbourne ?

It's cheaper in Sydney because Bing Lee is only in Sydney. Bing Lee did a large bulk purchase of Hitachi plasma's a month or so ago, and their buy price was substantially less than other retailers due to the large amount of units they bought. No other retailer in Sydney could come close to Bing Lee's price on this Hitachi model, and I would say that Melb prices would be the same as Sydney for this model, had it not been for Bing Lee's bulk purchase. I might also add that I had a rather poor experience from those salemen at Harvey Norman. I was not impressed by their devious, lying and false advertising tactics, in the prior two weeks of looking around at plasma deals.

If you read back through this thread there are suggestions on settings. As a brief comment from my experience : the cinema setting is very close to the set-up I did with DVE calibration disc. Also you should have a read of the Topfeild 7000 thread to see if there are any quirks with this tuner. Also there are some DIY calibration websites such as http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-5085739-2.html?tag=dir .

Hope you enjoy the world cup!

Philip

Maybe it's just me - but I've got this tv and love the picture except on dark scenes / nightime shots. I'm using Normal Mode on Picture and have black enhancement turned off and all other enhancements off. I had contrast on -10, Brightness on -3 and Color on -3 and the rest on 0. I still notice some contrasting in black scenes - almost like contrasting white booming...for lack of better description. Am I alone here - am I being oversensitive in expecting a genuine black that is just black?.

Mark P.

Maybe it's just me - but I've got this tv and love the picture except on dark scenes / nightime shots. I'm using Normal Mode on Picture and have black enhancement turned off and all other enhancements off. I had contrast on -10, Brightness on -3 and Color on -3 and the rest on 0. I still notice some contrasting in black scenes - almost like contrasting white booming...for lack of better description. Am I alone here - am I being oversensitive in expecting a genuine black that is just black?.

Mark P.

Mark have you read all of this thread?. There is mention of your experience and a solution. I know its a long thread but there is information about how to fix this via the service menu. Good Luck .... Nic

Mark have you read all of this thread?. There is mention of your experience and a solution. I know its a long thread but there is information about how to fix this via the service menu. Good Luck .... Nic

I didn't read every single word but did a pretty good read. Besides turning the black enhancement off and playing with the settings (which I've done endlessly) I could find any other advice. The problems a little better if I use the Cinema mode but the picture looks too washed out to me.

Mark P.

This is thread you're after --> http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=30831

The fix is on the last few pages. I noticed the problem almost immediately when I got my Hitachi and changing the setting has fixed it. I find the blacks pretty good but they're definitely not CRT level black - otherwise the picture is phenomenal, especially being driven by XBox360 or an HTPC.

This is thread you're after --> http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=30831

The fix is on the last few pages. I noticed the problem almost immediately when I got my Hitachi and changing the setting has fixed it. I find the blacks pretty good but they're definitely not CRT level black - otherwise the picture is phenomenal, especially being driven by XBox360 or an HTPC.

Cool - thanks. I'm a bit of a novice however - how exactly do you get into the service menu?.

Mark P.

Cool - thanks. I'm a bit of a novice however - how exactly do you get into the service menu?.

Mark P.

Ignore this post - I'm getting a tech out to fix it. I know I'll go in there and bugger around with settings if I do it myself. Wow!, I'm so relieved - it was really starting to bug me. I only bought the tv in the last couple of months so it's still obviously an issue - feel sorry for people who don't have access to this forum to be able to fix it!.

Thanks again to those who helped.

Mark P.

Just a general post as I have had my Hitach 8800 for a week and a half now. Been planning on getting a decent home theatre system but has anybody else listened to the TV speakers by themselves.

All I can say is that I am hugely impressed and they even have a virtual surround effect. thought it was just me being sensitive but checked with my wife and she agrees.

anyone else?

Well, after finding this site on the net and reading the user feedback, I've now purchased a Hitachi 8800 as well. Was already one of the 2 or 3 I was looking at and stumbled across this site whilst looking for user feedback.

Want to thank you all for taking the time to post, it helped me make my decision.

My reasons (and I know everyone's are different) are;

Picture quality

User feedback

Asthetics

Connections

That swivel base

And overall, value. Great plasma, but at $2,850 there wasn't really much to decide on.

Looking forward to setting it up. Will be using a Media Centre PC, so looking forward to seeing how that goes.

Cheers,

Smocky.

Guest clay_tone

I was in the process of buying the 8800 from a retailer in Adelaide. A deal was being negotiated, the sticker price was a very competetive $2960. With the $500 extended warranty, I made a real offer of $3300 - the deal WAS NOT accepted by the salesman. Therefore I walked, knowing it is only a matter of time.......

FWIW, I am based in Adelaide. The retailer is not my preferred store, but for that price I thought to give it a go. Funnily enough, my offer was for CASH upfront, and yet they wouldn't budge from the sticker price, which could be met with Interest Free Terms.

Wow! $2850! where did u get that from? I am pretty sure that is the new record price on this forum.

Bing Lee. Was a cash price. They have a stocktake clearance sale on at the moment for $3,149 I think it is.

I'm happy anyway :blink:

Got quoted $400 for the extra 4 year warranty. Not sure if I'm going to buy that or not, but think I will.

Bing Lee. Was a cash price. They have a stocktake clearance sale on at the moment for $3,149 I think it is.

I'm happy anyway :blink:

Got quoted $400 for the extra 4 year warranty. Not sure if I'm going to buy that or not, but think I will.

Hey Im about to finally purchase ma 8800 babe :D I need to know where abouts in Melbourne I could absolutely retain the cheapest prices on one of those babies ??? anyone?

I am also interested in buying an 8800 (Victoria), Clive Peters website had it on special at $3300, but now at $3600. Audiolifestyle have it on special at $3349, I phoned them, they seem eager to sell (Richmond).

Recent posted prices are

Jbhifi (Vic) $3350 inc 5yr wty (don't know which branch)

Sydney prices, mainly Bing Lee, about $3000

I've googled a lot for no result.

The 9700 looks like being released in Australia soon.

Please post prices you find, I'm in country Vic and have a dealer who said he will price match Melbourne.

Rgards Bill.

Bought a 8800TA last week from a chain that shall remain unnamed for $3200, had to wait for them to get one in stock. Have been told they cant get any but Hitachi is releasing the 42PD8900TA to sellers as we speak, which they kindly offered as a replacement for the same price.

So hopefully next week I should have a brand spanking new 8900TA sitting in my living room. Main difference is resolution is 1024x1080 rather than 1024x1024 so it can do genuine 1080i without downscaling a bit.

Cant wait to get it =D

Bought a 8800TA last week from a chain that shall remain unnamed for $3200, had to wait for them to get one in stock. Have been told they cant get any but Hitachi is releasing the 42PD8900TA to sellers as we speak, which they kindly offered as a replacement for the same price.

So hopefully next week I should have a brand spanking new 8900TA sitting in my living room. Main difference is resolution is 1024x1080 rather than 1024x1024 so it can do genuine 1080i without downscaling a bit.

Cant wait to get it =D

thats very nice to hear! congratulations on the new panels. just to clarify my situation, I have just paid a deposit for the 8800's yestaday and its due to arrive on wednesday. The cash price was $3100, was very delighted of course!

Main difference is resolution is 1024x1080 rather than 1024x1024 so it can do genuine 1080i without downscaling a bit.

Does the 8800 scale or merely crop the vertical resolution ie crop 28 lines top and bottom?

Philip

Does the 8800 scale or merely crop the vertical resolution ie crop 28 lines top and bottom?

Philip

To my knowledge it crops the top and bottom 28 lines.

Hi Amaru

Sounds like good service - which retailer/store? Can you ask them if they can also supply your 'friends' the new 8900TA at your same price? Maybe you can organise a bulk buy for those interested! Worth ashot if you can ask!

All TV’s need to overscan, so a panel that is 1080 vertical must upscale 1080i video to a higher res, and then crop to 1080.

The older 1024 panel could just crop, without any need to scale.

That does not mean the old model is better then the new one, as good scaling can prevent any noticeable issues.

• Moderators
All TV’s need to overscan, so a panel that is 1080 vertical must upscale 1080i video to a higher res, and then crop to 1080.

That does not mean the old model is better then the new one, as good scaling can prevent any noticeable issues.

yeah have been told somethign similar that the improvement is a slight increment with the new 1080 line panel over the 1024 one but "nothign to rave on about" apparently.

deleted

BRD, I think they realised the error of their ways but I have a receipt saying Hitachi 42PD8900TAKIT for $3200 so theres not much they can do about it now :blink:

Im not too sure about the whole resolution thing, but having bought a 7800TA last year and falling in love with it, as long as this one looks as good ill be happy.