Hi,

I just bought the 8800TA and am very happy. Does anyone know how Hitachi calculated to claim that 8800TA can display 68.6 Billions colours? It's spec states that it has only 1024 gray levels which can't equate to 68.6 billions colour.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had my 8800 for about 3 weeks now, I only had it connected via s-vid to my Strong 5000 and was pretty happy with it. This week I purchased a Samsung HD-850 and a LGE LST-5100p and connected them via HDMI and DVI-HDMI respectively...BAD NEWS.

The PQ watching images from either of the devices was shocking, bad solarisation and speckling (green dots throughout the blacks)...to say the least it looked worse than running composite into the PDP which I later proved! When connected via HDMI I also noticed a series of red dotted horizontal lines permanently across the screen which is very noticeable on black and when the blanking screen is showing ie when changing channels on the STB! Seriously it didn't matter whether I was viewing 576i/p, 720p or 1080i - HD or SD channels they all looked crap!

I figured maybe the cables weren't up to scratch so I hooked up some top quality component cables...exactly the same issue as far as the poor image quality although the horizontal red dotted lines weren't apparent.

I could safely say a sub $2K PDP would seriously look better...I called Hitachi support today and they basically said they would need to send a tech around (from some authorised repair agent as Hitachi don't have a service centre in Brisbane) who may need to take away the PDP for repair, not good enough...My feelings are no tech is going to put a screw driver to this beast I want a replacement...after all it is only 3 weeks old!

I'm going to personally go into HN tomorrow and "Chat" to the sales guy I bought it from...I don't think asking for a replacement is too much considering how much these are worth!

Your thoughts...

Hi, just joined the hitachi 8800 club as well. Fantastic picture!!! Family love it!!!

Set up the Plasma with a DGTEC hd-905 (never heard of the 905 and can't find any info on it) today and connected them with a HDMI-HDMI cable (Crest brand) - perfect picture but no sound. Tried in HDMI 2 on the Plasma with a sound cable - still no sound.

Has anyone got/using this connection combo? If so is there something I am missing? :blink:

I've had my 8800 for about 3 weeks now, I only had it connected via s-vid to my Strong 5000 and was pretty happy with it. This week I purchased a Samsung HD-850 and a LGE LST-5100p and connected them via HDMI and DVI-HDMI respectively...BAD NEWS.

The PQ watching images from either of the devices was shocking, bad solarisation and speckling (green dots throughout the blacks)...to say the least it looked worse than running composite into the PDP which I later proved! When connected via HDMI I also noticed a series of red dotted horizontal lines permanently across the screen which is very noticeable on black and when the blanking screen is showing ie when changing channels on the STB! Seriously it didn't matter whether I was viewing 576i/p, 720p or 1080i - HD or SD channels they all looked crap!

I figured maybe the cables weren't up to scratch so I hooked up some top quality component cables...exactly the same issue as far as the poor image quality although the horizontal red dotted lines weren't apparent.

I could safely say a sub $2K PDP would seriously look better...I called Hitachi support today and they basically said they would need to send a tech around (from some authorised repair agent as Hitachi don't have a service centre in Brisbane) who may need to take away the PDP for repair, not good enough...My feelings are no tech is going to put a screw driver to this beast I want a replacement...after all it is only 3 weeks old!

I'm going to personally go into HN tomorrow and "Chat" to the sales guy I bought it from...I don't think asking for a replacement is too much considering how much these are worth!

Your thoughts...

There has been another post about the red dots on the 8800 and I have experienced them myself using DVI-HDMI cable. If you turn the brightness down to anything less than 2 they will dissapear.

Hi, just joined the hitachi 8800 club as well. Fantastic picture!!! Family love it!!!

Set up the Plasma with a DGTEC hd-905 (never heard of the 905 and can't find any info on it) today and connected them with a HDMI-HDMI cable (Crest brand) - perfect picture but no sound. Tried in HDMI 2 on the Plasma with a sound cable - still no sound.

Has anyone got/using this connection combo? If so is there something I am missing? :blink:

Mick26 - Try getting the Crest cable swapped out, I had a prob with a couple of Crest SCART/Component Cable, and had to get it swapped twice before getting a workable one.

I just ordered mine today. $3199 with 5 yr warrantee at Bing Lee supacenta moore park.

I got them to pricematch harvey norman who were offering free extended warranties. My girlfriend also picked up the Hitachi 32inch LCD at the same time $2499 I think also 5yrs warrantee.

:blink:

By the way Harvey Norman are really talking these down and had just crappy FTA feed.

I just ordered mine today. $3199 with 5 yr warrantee at Bing Lee supacenta moore park.

I got them to pricematch harvey norman who were offering free extended warranties. My girlfriend also picked up the Hitachi 32inch LCD at the same time $2499 I think also 5yrs warrantee.

:blink:

By the way Harvey Norman are really talking these down and had just crappy FTA feed.

You bought this in Sydney yeah ? Thats an awesome price with 5 year warranty ! I am in Melbourne and i have not heard of Harvey Norman offering free extended warranties. For the money the Hitachi 8800 is the best going around i am just waiting for the best deal in Melbourne.

Simon,

Moore Park is in Sydney

I've heard unofficially that the Hitachi 8800 range is being replaced this July. Which seems rather odd because they've only been out since November last year.

I was at JB HiFi in Westfield Bondi today (Sun) and finally saw the new Pana vs. the Hitachi. And i'm still not sure what to tell the insurance assessor about my replacement preference. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Happy May everyone... where did the last four months go?

I was trying to hold out to see the Pana 60a next to the 8800 as well, but this offer was too good to pass on. I'm glad you think it a tough choice between the two!

Quickly set to the 32 inch yesterday and played with it for about 10 mins. We only plugged in the analogue signal but it still looked great! Cant wait to get a decent signal into it.

Hi,

I just bought the 8800TA and am very happy. Does anyone know how Hitachi calculated to claim that 8800TA can display 68.6 Billions colours? It's spec states that it has only 1024 gray levels which can't equate to 68.6 billions colour.

68.6 billion = 2 the power of 36

which is 12 bits (or 4096 shades) for each of Red, Green and Blue.

I would have thought they would be claiming 4096 gray levels, not 1024.

I've got the same combo (bought just this week). Initially had trouble getting picture from the HDMI/ HDMI but called DGTEC and the technician told me to Leave the TV on and switch the STB off at the power button on the rear of the 905. This apparently synchronised the signals and works fine now, however every now and then the picture dissappears when switching back to HDMI input. Just reset the power and all's good again. BTW I'm using a KORDZ HDMI-HDMI cable.

Super Happy with the Hitachi.

Just checked for myself- NO sound from HDMI. I've been running Audio to an amp via coaxial digital so did not notice the no sound issue. I just tried unplugging the coax digital and resetting the STB but still no sound with HDMI. May be worth giving DGTEC a call

Just checked for myself- NO sound from HDMI. I've been running Audio to an amp via coaxial digital so did not notice the no sound issue. I just tried unplugging the coax digital and resetting the STB but still no sound with HDMI. May be worth giving DGTEC a call

Thanks Sonicman & Dig. Tried turning off but no change, still could not get sound. I have not had any problems with the picture dropping out (it has been excellent). Its time to call DGTEC. I will let you know what info I get. I am trying to put off exchanging the hdmi cable as I live 3 hrs away from where I bought it!

Just rang DG-Tec and the Tech informed me (from his list of non-compatible Plasma Displays)that the only Hitachi Plasma that is not compatible with the Dg-Tec HD-905 is the Hitachi 42PD8800TA. He said due to the different types of HDMI signals (?) the 42PD8800TA will not get sound.

Time to start researching what HD STB is compatible with the 42 inch 8800ta and uses HDMI. It is pretty sad to see they cannot even get what appears to be a simple connection cable standardised.

Just rang DG-Tec and the Tech informed me (from his list of non-compatible Plasma Displays)that the only Hitachi Plasma that is not compatible with the Dg-Tec HD-905 is the Hitachi 42PD8800TA. He said due to the different types of HDMI signals (?) the 42PD8800TA will not get sound.

Time to start researching what HD STB is compatible with the 42 inch 8800ta and uses HDMI. It is pretty sad to see they cannot even get what appears to be a simple connection cable standardised.

I have the Toshiba c26 and it works great using HDMI

Thanks

Tye

Hi Mick im using the Sony HD STB with the Hitachi 8800 and works perfectly for me over HDMI.

I have been using the Toshiba HD-C26H set top box since November last year with the Hitachi 42-PD8800TA and am very happy with it. Never had any issues with HDMI video or audio. Work straightaway.

There was a small issue once when video format on the Toshiba box was set to "Auto" but since I installed the latest firmware (from the website) this issue is gone.

Great picture, hasn't missed a beat.

Cheers

anymore thoughts on the brilliant 8800? suggestions and more feedbacks to get the thread alive and kicking ta~

Had mine for a little over a week and absolutely love it. Unfortunately I'm stuck with a very average DVD player at the moment as well as Foxtel so the only time the picture quality is spectacular is through the XBox360. I think I've watched the 720p Xmen 3 trailer about 30 times so far though and am blown away every time. It's hard to imagine how 1080i could be better (even though it technically should be on this panel) as I'm hard pressed to find a single flaw on the 720p trailers.

I've tried hard to avoid 2.35:1 movies while it's running in but the temptation has gotten the better of me a few times. I have noticed image retention from the black bars but 2 or 3 minutes of the screenwipe function removes it completely.

Not doing too much with calibration until it has 100 - 200 hours on it - just keeping brightness and contrast around -5.

Now to get a good DVD player :blink:

Anyone running a Topfiled PVR through Component to this TV? If so what settings do you have? I have just finished the running in period and while the picture is great I'm always willing to see if it can be improved.

Cheers,

John

Just wondering, does Hitachi 42PD8800TA has any digital process and remastering chip like Panasonic TH-42PV60A. I've checked the American Hitachi site and all plasmas have digital and remastering chip where australian hitachi website state ntohing.

I am trying to decide between 42pd8800ta and th-42pv60a. They are both around the same price.

Thank

Anyone running a Topfiled PVR through Component to this TV? If so what settings do you have? I have just finished the running in period and while the picture is great I'm always willing to see if it can be improved.

Cheers,

John

I have just purchased mine yesterday (after some #*&^@#$ stole my last plasma).

Very happy with it and I am running a Topfield Masterpeice with it. Still playing with the settings. Must compare notes after I get it sorted. :blink:

The final battle came down to between 42" Panasonic 60A and Hitachi 8800TA.

I don't know which one to go for, so took my wife down to bing lee and straight away she said get the Hitachi!! It damn look sexy!

Now i am a new owner of the 42" Hitachi 8800TA!! :blink:

Also got a Dimplex Oil Themo/Digital Timer Heater and free 2 'a' reserved tickets to Swan Ice skatting, all for a sweet $3200!!

Thank guys for the great input here

I have the 42pd8800 also, just a question - on the specs iv read up about this panel it says 68.6 billion colours with 1024 grey scale. so is that 4096 levels of gradation for each colour (red,green,blue) and 1024 levels from black to white (grey scale)? cause yes i do notice the gradation especially on a dark background. On brighter scenes this beast seems to be the clearest and most detailed and vivid than most plasmas i have viewed.

Does anyone have a Panasonic DVD-S97 hooked up to their 8800? I would like some ideas on the best settings.

Thanks

Philip

yep i do, my settings on the s-97 are as follows:

hdmi 1080i, cinema 2 picture mode, ycbcr 4:4:4 colour.

i find that 1080i is the best resolution setting because of the 1024x1024 native res on the panel(which means a much sharper picture more so than 576p or 720p setting).

on my hitachi :

natural picture mode, cool colour temp and normal contrast mode.

page 2 settings are:

ynr off,cnr high, cti high , Lti high.

cnr high minimizes pink tint, that the player has an issue with.

i have black enhanchment set to off also.

cheers

yep i do, my settings on the s-97 are as follows:

cheers

Thanks

Have tried different combinations but it is hard to evaluate the subtle differences. I realy need two players to have them running on different inputs so can flick between them.

Philip

Thanks

Have tried different combinations but it is hard to evaluate the subtle differences. I realy need two players to have them running on different inputs so can flick between them.

Philip

dont play with it too much lol youll never be satisfied! Thats what's happened to me :blink: 3 months later and im still fiddling...

Guest kenalov

Just paid $3190 for 42pd8800ta with 5yr wty

purchased from bing lee rhodes, delivery $40 extra

Whats the most common hdmi stb people use with this TV?

'Adding this post I made at the Integrated w/screen thread. in case someone here knows more about this new model. OR current 8800TA price changes.'

I have a Hitachi 42PD8800TA on order.. Some retailers have a new buying/RRP from Hitachi as of yesterday and this morning.. ie. DJ's $350.00 ish and JB's $270.00 ish.. off last weeks rrp.

This made me wonder if a new model was imminent.. I rang Hitachi.. and they say they have no plans in the foreseeable future for a new plasma release/update.

I did a few googles and found this little beauty retailing in the UK.

Hitachi 42PD9700

Main points being.

new H6 Alis 1080i x 1024 panel.

1400 cd/m2 and 4000:1 4yr warranty. integrated DH tuner. plus all the current 8800TA extras. ie., 2xhdmi. swivel stand and card slots etc.

rrp approx $5500.00au

Wish I could get some info as to if and when it may arrive here..

Anyone heard anything??

Looking to purcahse a Plasma tomorrow.

Been looking today and have narrrowed it down to the Panasonic TH42PV60A or the Hitachi 42PD8800. I can get both for around the $3100 price. Was looking at the LG 42PX5D, but the saleman talked me out of it.

PS: Does the Hitachi have a motorised stand? do they both include stand or are they an extra?

Anyway, after doing a little reading, i watch mainly FOXTEL 90% of the time. Is it a waste of time me getting a HD tv? I live in Newcastle and we don't egt much HD stuff anyway?

Thanks.

HRB,

Yes the Hitachi comes with Motorised swivel stand.

I have pretty much got my selection down to those two as well. Pano has a sharper picture which I like, but overall I am leaning towards the Hitachi. What prices do you think you can acheive ? Are you in Sydney ? I am going to buy tomorrow and I think I can get 8800TA for sub $3k.

Hi Birke,

I am looking at both models as well. I know Bing Lee Alexandria has a sticker price for the 8800 of $3150 so I woulld hope that you could get that down lower.

I am probably going to buy mine in the next two weeks or so. COuld you let us know what price you get for your tv and where you get it from?

My wife and I did go DJs Bondi Junction which had both the Pana and the Hitachi on display next to each other. I thought the Pana had a better picture particularly when it came to skin tone. Let us know which one you go for and why?

cheers

marc

Have just ordered the Hitachi 8800 from Dj's,Price matched Bing Lee's $3100.

The Panasonic loks like a cheap Chinese import, just not upto scratch compared to the Hitachi.

Hi there guys :blink:

This question is to any one but maybe more to birke and hrb93. Is there any chance you guys can keep or still have the original packaging for the 8800TA? All I need is the inside packaging (foam, plastic, cardboard) since I still have the box. I will gladely pay for the postage since it will be really lite I guess. If you can help me out please email or msg me.

Thanks

just asked about the new model and got this response but i cant find any info about it. anyone know anything further?

Q:

>Request: hi, just wondering if you can confirm when the new hitachi

>plasma 42PD9700 will be released in australia.

A:

Sorry, no such model as of yet.

>

>However, we do have a 42PD900 model expected late in the year.

>

>Thank you for contacting Hitachi Australia.

>

>Regards,

>

>Customer Service

>Hitachi Australia Ltd

>1800 032 689

>aus.hitachi.com.au

Guys,

I will be ordering the Hitachi PD8800TA tomorrow. Was looking to match this with a HD set top box. Can someone with this model plasma recommend which box they are have had success with ? Also, will I actually get a better a better picture from World cup viewing on SBS with the HD set top box or not ? Otherwise I will buy the set top box at a later date. Thanks

Guys,

I will be ordering the Hitachi PD8800TA tomorrow. Was looking to match this with a HD set top box. Can someone with this model plasma recommend which box they are have had success with ? Also, will I actually get a better a better picture from World cup viewing on SBS with the HD set top box or not ? Otherwise I will buy the set top box at a later date. Thanks

Hi Birke,

I wanted a HDSTB with HDMI so bought the Sony sthd500 or simiar model #. Cost is $500 and its been fine. Of course you can get much cheaper HD stb's.

When you say

will I actually get a better a better picture from World cup viewing on SBS with the HD set top box or not ?
do you mean as opposed to no STB or a SD STB. Watching analogue TV transmission will be woeful on any plasma. You will definitely need some type of STB.

Also looks like SBS will show world cup matches in Widescreen format standard def. See this thread http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=17168

Good luck & im sure you will be happy with the Hitachi Panel!

Guys,

Congrats on your purchase birke.

I've owned the 8800 for over 6 months now. I have it hooked up to the LG LST-5100P HD STB and the picture quality is fantastic on quality HD broadcasts. It's a pretty simple box feature wise but gets the job done. I've tested both component and digital video signals and whilst the differences are marginal I prefer the digital video connection. The LG box has DVI out so if you will be going the digital video route you would need to buy a DVI to HDMI interconnect (not included) if you end up buying this STB. I purchased it for under $400 before Xmas so no doubt you can now buy it cheaper if you shop around.

I've read a number of threads related to the 8800 over the months and don't recall owners having many problems or criticisms with any HD STB really. So long as you stick to a name brand you should be fine.

The World Cup will not be broadcast in HD at least in OZ so there will be little benefit buying any HD box over an SD box in this regard. But you've purchased a high quality screen in the Hitachi so it would almost be a crime to pair it with a SD STB imo. And if you are into gaming in any way you're going to love how the Hitachi pairs with either the Xbox 360 or PC games.