Hitachi 42PD8800TA

All agree that it is a good device. I just hope you don't have any problems because the customer service turn around is hopeless, I have been going round in circles for about 3 months with Hitachi and still going

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how much did you pay for it if you dont't mind me asking and what stb have you got

I paid full sticker price. :blink:

Actually..I paid full sticker for a Samsung which I decided had to go back. They let me swap it for the Hitachi.

stb is a Humax Smart pvr. I will be buying a HD pvr as soon as I can decide which one to get. The Humax is such a good unit I'm waiting until they release a twin tuner HD pvr.

Edited by mxb

I paid full sticker price. :blink:

Actually..I paid full sticker for a Samsung which I decided had to go back. They let me swap it for the Hitachi.

stb is a Humax Smart pvr. I will be buying a HD pvr as soon as I can decide which one to get. The Humax is such a good unit I'm waiting until they release a twin tuner HD pvr.

Why did the Sammy go back??

Philip

Why did the Sammy go back??

Philip

The Sammy went back because of several reasons. First, DNIe was an absolute horror. The brightness changes is causes made it virtually impossible to watch sometimes. To turn it off, you have to turn off all the digital processing, which means turning off burn protection as well as all the other goodies. Black levels were improved with it off, but that's it. There was no black level with it on..just a grey level!

Secondly, SD performance was terrible. What looked like quantisation noise abounded (not sure what the actual term is). Colour banding was horrible (worse with DNIe off), with distinct false contouring in some cases rendering the show unwatchable.

HD performance was very good however, but also suffered from a problem that was the third reason to return it. Skin tones. I could never get skin tones to look OK. SD or HD. No amount of adjustment seemed to help.

There could very well have been a problem with it, but after two weeks of tweaking and suffering, I decided to return it other than chance a service tech tell me 'that's as good as it gets'.

Mark

• 2 months later...

well I dont know how long its been i've had the 8800TA. but I just cant stop drooling at its PQ these days. has been spurred along latetely since getting a toppy HDPVR. I didnt do much tweaking picture setting wise since getting it. just dropped brightness setting one notch thats all. and boy since I have seen some of the most glorious and natural looking pics yet.

the hitachi I think really does such natural skin tones. and really does not skimp one little bit on the detail. whether its hd-dvd, hi-def movies on ch7, 9 or even travel shows like great outdoors. lovely screen this one. really just so very happy ! :blink:

well I dont know how long its been i've had the 8800TA. but I just cant stop drooling at its PQ these days. has been spurred along latetely since getting a toppy HDPVR. I didnt do much tweaking picture setting wise since getting it. just dropped brightness setting one notch thats all. and boy since I have seen some of the most glorious and natural looking pics yet.

the hitachi I think really does such natural skin tones. and really does not skimp one little bit on the detail. whether its hd-dvd, hi-def movies on ch7, 9 or even travel shows like great outdoors. lovely screen this one. really just so very happy ! :blink:

Yea, I agree. I picked up a demo 42PDF8900 a few weeks back now at a great price and it looks great. Foxtel via component looks good too. I( did not feel the new PD9000 and 960's with HD tuner as good. Seems that image processing is a cheaper Aussie only version.

BTW There is a demo 8800 unit at JB hifi Warringah Mall I saw yesterday with price of $2200. I am sure one could get it for 2k. Interestly they had the current 960 next to it and the 8800 looked more natural in its picture presentation

Yea, I agree. I picked up a demo 42PDF8900 a few weeks back now at a great price and it looks great. Foxtel via component looks good too. I( did not feel the new PD9000 and 960's with HD tuner as good. Seems that image processing is a cheaper Aussie only version.

BTW There is a demo 8800 unit at JB hifi Warringah Mall I saw yesterday with price of $2200. I am sure one could get it for 2k. Interestly they had the current 960 next to it and the 8800 looked more natural in its picture presentation

The is a 8900 at my local Bing Lee on display, I was advised $2100 cash. Very tempting :blink:

I agree, the 8800/8900 seem to be far better than the newer models in terms of image reproduction. Spiderman 2 last night on 90 was awesome. I have my 8800 connected to a Philips DTR-7200.

Check out the US version. Why can't we get all those special extras such as Learning AV NET V, IEEE-1394 and DV Inputs

& IR Pass Through. I would love the IR Pass Through :D

http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/plasma/plasma/42hdx99.shtml

The is a 8900 at my local Bing Lee on display, I was advised $2100 cash. Very tempting :blink:

I agree, the 8800/8900 seem to be far better than the newer models in terms of image reproduction. Spiderman 2 last night on 90 was awesome. I have my 8800 connected to a Philips DTR-7200.

Check out the US version. Why can't we get all those special extras such as Learning AV NET V, IEEE-1394 and DV Inputs

& IR Pass Through. I would love the IR Pass Through :D

http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/plasma/plasma/42hdx99.shtml

hehe that us model does look tasty !

yeah I caught a bit of spiderman thsi week and last week too. both really showed things of pq wise on this screen. I dont know what it is. maybe my display has settled in, the new toppy I'm now using or maybe the networks are doing a better job PQ wise. but yeah pictures havent looked better. I'm really happy wiht this set and will be quite content for it to take me through a few years I think. well untill ~60" 1080p screens become the norm and affordable hehehe

interesting to read the comments re the current gen hitachi's, glad then I got the one I have. hope future models a bigger and better ! :P

• 3 weeks later...

I might be a bit oversensitive, but I have concerns over a burn in type phenomena occuring on my panel. With a black screen ie no input there is an area of "lightness" appearing in the centre of the panel. Just diffuse approx the area where the "action" happens eg news readers faces etc. I have tried the screen wipe with no success. It has no obvious efffect on the PQ when viewing normal televisions but I am a bit concerned in dark films it might cause a washed out area in the centre. Anyone with any similar problem?

Philip

• 2 months later...

I might be a bit oversensitive, but I have concerns over a burn in type phenomena occuring on my panel. With a black screen ie no input there is an area of "lightness" appearing in the centre of the panel. Just diffuse approx the area where the "action" happens eg news readers faces etc. I have tried the screen wipe with no success. It has no obvious efffect on the PQ when viewing normal televisions but I am a bit concerned in dark films it might cause a washed out area in the centre. Anyone with any similar problem?

Philip

Contact Hitachi if :unsure:

Hi All,

Has anyone hooked up a PS3/Blue Ray or HD DVD/Xbox 360 to this sexy thing yet. :wub:

Performance at (Movie watching) 1080i???

Struggo,

Have my PS3 hooked up to the 42pd8800ta and I reckon its superb for blu-rays. Even the wife says wow! 1080i will do me just fine as the quality is outstanding, better than a mates 1080p setup with a more expensive panel.

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I know this has come up before regarding the brightish flaring in dark scenes or dark parts of a picture. Does anyone else still suffer this?

I had a techie come out to check it and he just said my settings were too dark and brightened it up.

I mentioned about the problem being reported on this forum and he said he hadn't heard of it before.

Anyway, later on when watching a dvd i stopped it and had it on screen saver (black screen with the Pioneer logo moving around) and it was really obvious then.

Almost a constant blinking of black to grey.

I'm thinking of getting a techie back out.

Cheers

Wayne

Hi All

I know this has come up before regarding the brightish flaring in dark scenes or dark parts of a picture. Does anyone else still suffer this?

I had a techie come out to check it and he just said my settings were too dark and brightened it up.

I mentioned about the problem being reported on this forum and he said he hadn't heard of it before.

Anyway, later on when watching a dvd i stopped it and had it on screen saver (black screen with the Pioneer logo moving around) and it was really obvious then.

Cheers

Wayne

Search this thread, I know there is a lot of pages, but it states how you can rectify this by getting into the service menu and changing the setting to stop this occuring. i did and it worked a treat. good luck!

Hi All

Cheers

Wayne

Here you go Rolly1,

Be very careful and follow the instructions exactly.

This link takes you to the thread regarding the service menu:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=29954

This is another useful link:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=37909

Cheers

Struggo

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...achi&st=100

Hey there,

Well I really didnt think the option would be called "disable fluctuating brightness" in the service manual.

Aside from the guy taking a few mins to get into the service menu, that is all he changed I took special note of what he did because I know how much you can mess things up in the service menu

He went into the service menu (eventually)

Scrolled down a LOT using the remote control

Got to option 275

Hit the right hand arrow on the remote

Either pressed 1 or hit the up arrow to change to 1.

And then closed the service menu (i cant remember if he hit ok on the remote or turned the set off).

I said to him "so thats all, change option 275 in service menu from 0 to 1 and he said "yep thats it"

I said "any idea what it does?" he said "no, i only heard about this change this morning when i got the job, im just following instructions".

I watched about 15 mins of LOTR last night - the scene where they are going through the dwarf caves and I could not see any fluctuating brightness issues, also tried with an mp4 rip off my pc where i had noticed it badly the night before and there was no fluctuation.

• 4 months later...