Hitachi 42PD8800TA

I'm having an issue with mine where the picture on all channels just pauses for a split second on either HD & SD when running at 1080i.

Does it do it at other resolutions? Check your signal strength/quality - it may coincide with the picture freeze, which may be how your STB copes with loss of data.

I found a significant difference in tolerance to RF cabling between different components - it might pay to change the order of components in your RF feed and feed-through cabling (assuming you have more than one component receving RF).

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it do it at other resolutions? Check your signal strength/quality - it may coincide with the picture freeze, which may be how your STB copes with loss of data.

I found a significant difference in tolerance to RF cabling between different components - it might pay to change the order of components in your RF feed and feed-through cabling (assuming you have more than one component receving RF).

Hi HDfan,

I ran 720p tonight. It didn't seem to do it. :D Channel 7's 24 looked really good on the 8800.

It does it @ 1080i even if the signal strength/quality is near 100%

I had all new digital cabling installed when I got my antenna upgraded last month. I'm running the cable from wall outlet through a Pure AV board and then into the STB, from there it runs to my amp and TV for analog which I don't watch anyway. It is sitting about 15cm above my foxtel IQ box.

Maybe I should bypass the Pure AV. :blink:

I do live in a fringe area.

Cheers

Struggo

PS The Philips DTR7200 is a quality box & set up. I'm not holding this little problem against it just yet.

Been tossing up between the Hitachi 42PD8800TA and the Panasonic TH-42PV60A. Couple of things I noticed:

1. The Panasonic blacks were really good. The Hitachi was maybe a little grey. The contrast on the set was turned right up to maximum. Maybe needed to drop the brightness.

2. When looking at a diagonal line displayed on the screen that was almost horizontal, there seemed to be quite a bit of shake around the line, almost an interfacing sort of effect, while the Pana was rock solid.

Both screens were being feed a component signal split from the same set top box. From what I read, the 1080i picture from the SC10 loop on the Hitachi should really just pass through without adjustment (just cropping at the top and bottom), while the Pana would have to scale to the 768 pixels. So I expected the Hitachi to have the better picture but i though the Panasonic looked sharper.

I want to really like the Hitachi because its a) cheaper and :blink: better styling but i'm not sure whether what I noticed is the general case or just the way the set up was in store.

Personally i wouldnt go for the in-store set up. Iv seen the pana and the hitachi in store side by side but when i was ready to buy they let me fiddle with the settings.

It seemed the hitachi @ 1080i was the best setting and sharper than the pana due to ALIS technology is uses(all lines odd and even are lit at the one time and it does 1:1 mapping). Bottom line is...well...more lines - more detail all lines are lit every frame instead of half with typical 1080i source. The hitachi seems more vivid and sharp in my eyes, anyone care to comment if they see the same compared to the pana? Oh and xbox 360 looks better on it :blink:

Good to hear the xbox360 looks better! That's one of the things I plan to plug in. I currently have a Topfield 4000 STB which is output at 1080i. So you seem to think that I should have a better picture on the Hitachi then? I wasn't sure if the Hitachi might have had the slightly horizontal lines flickering because it didn't have a 1080i input coming in. No telling how the set top box feed was coming in.

I want to really like the Hitachi because its a) cheaper and :blink: better styling but i'm not sure whether what I noticed is the general case or just the way the set up was in store.

Obviously on a Hitachi thread you are probably going to get a biased perspective towards the 8800. And there are a lot of happy vegemites here who love their 8800s as do I, and Í believe we have good reason to as it is an excellent display. Native 1080i broadcasts look stunning on it so you would definitely want to do it justice by pairing it with a HD STB or tuner card. As others have mentioned it also forms a sublime combination with the 360. Finally it's fair to say that the default "ïn store"picture settings are probably not the ideal settings as is often the case with a lot of TVs. Many 8800 owners find they get the best results at home by dropping both the contrast and paticularly the colour settings.

Having said all that I think the Pana TH-42PV60A is a fantastic display too. Although I haven't actually seen any native 1080i on it, the picture in store does look really good. So I don't think there are any real wrong choices between the two. But I haven't seen many, if any, bad words said about the 8800 by people who actually own that TV in the 8 months it's been available in the Oz market. So I don't think you will be disappointed if you end up going the way of the Hitachi 8800 or 8900. Happy buying! :D

Good to hear the xbox360 looks better! That's one of the things I plan to plug in. I currently have a Topfield 4000 STB which is output at 1080i. So you seem to think that I should have a better picture on the Hitachi then? I wasn't sure if the Hitachi might have had the slightly horizontal lines flickering because it didn't have a 1080i input coming in. No telling how the set top box feed was coming in.

Yep 1080i is the way to go with this panel - other modes arent as sharp and detailed because it has to rescale the image instead of the 1:1 mapping it was designed for - bottom line any other mode aint gonna be the hitachi's strong points for optimal viewing and as far as i can tell iv never seen flickering on this setting with dvd, hdstb and 360. i wouldnt trust in store set ups as far as i can throw the salesperson lol.

Hi ppl,

I can find a 8800 for $3400 with 5 yrs warranty and 19 months interest free term, id it a good deal??

Thanks!!

I got mine for $3150 with 5yrs warranty. This was without interest free. Seems like a good deal.

Cheers

Struggo

Guest clay_tone
Yep 1080i is the way to go with this panel - other modes arent as sharp and detailed because it has to rescale the image instead of the 1:1 mapping it was designed for - bottom line any other mode aint gonna be the hitachi's strong points for optimal viewing and as far as i can tell iv never seen flickering on this setting with dvd, hdstb and 360. i wouldnt trust in store set ups as far as i can throw the salesperson lol.

So based on this information, am I best advised to set my HD STB to output 1080i for all channels (incl. 7HD 576p & ABC 720p) instead of auto, where the STB will output the broadcast's native resolution?

Is it best to let all components (xbox360, STB, DVD) perform the scaling to 1080i, rather than the 8800 panel?

So based on this information, am I best advised to set my HD STB to output 1080i for all channels (incl. 7HD 576p & ABC 720p) instead of auto, where the STB will output the broadcast's native resolution?

Is it best to let all components (xbox360, STB, DVD) perform the scaling to 1080i, rather than the 8800 panel?

I find with my teac 820 stb best to leave it on auto to send out as broadcast and let the display fo scaling. but the 360 sure looks good set on 1080i.

by the way guys, at home doing a few things and TV is on day time television in the background and boy do we miss out on some great HD pics in the evenings compared to the 1080i stuff being broadcast on the likes of geof jans and today with its interviews and kerri anne etc. Vewry good detail/definition and colours, yeah some digital artifacts in poorly lit shots etc but with studio comntrolled lighting most stuff looks very good. Very impressed with this plasma.

have owned it a few weeks now and with run in noticed had to back colour back from -16 to -20 for natural skin tones and brightness back that back from +5 to 0. still got contrast on zero. very nice !

This depends which is the better scaler - the STB, DVDplayer or the Hitachi. Try on both settings and let yourself decide. An expensive upscaling DVD probably does a better job but a cheapie may not.

Philip

This depends which is the better scaler - the STB, DVDplayer or the Hitachi. Try on both settings and let yourself decide. An expensive upscaling DVD probably does a better job but a cheapie may not.

Philip

Having used my 8800 for the past few weeks, I have left all the settings by default, I.E Colour 0 Brightness

0 Contrast 0, now Im a little hesitatent as to whether or not it would be justified by shelling out extra

finances to have somoene to professionally collaborate your devices for you. To my knowledge couldnt an

average user (like me) work out how to set their Tv's in accordances to their need ?

Before I go I would like to ask the pros in this forum to share some of their Settings with me, I use mine

primarily for DVD and ocassional gaming :blink:

Cheers, Iva :D

Before I go I would like to ask the pros in this forum to share some of their Settings with me

The good news is you can get a semi-reasonable result from using something like Digital Video Essentials.

The bad news is that sharing settings can make things worse! Your source equipment and source material are different from others, and your interconnects are different (if using analogue signals these will affect the picture characteristics). Plus, your tastes/judgement are probably a little different too.

There's no substitute for going through a thorough calibration process yourself. But don't do it too early (the phosphors are still settling down in a young set) as you'll probably have to do it again.

Well i have a cheapy hdstb and iv set it to 1080i for all channels and compared the other modes and i tell ya that 1080i definately is the sharpest out of all due to the way ALIS works(made for this res). For my dvd player i use the pana s-97 and set to 1080i and its unbelievable! i also noticed that leaving default setting in the begging of the panels life colours are very vivid and sometimes too red/bluey, but over time (few hundred hours) the phosphors settle giving u and less vivid(bit more washed out) image and u might find yourself resetting the settings back to default. happened to me!

Hi All

Well after 12 months of stuffing around, will I won't I, reading this forum extensively I have finally done something! Just put $6000 in hard earned down on the following kit

Hitachi 42PD8800TA with 5yr warranty

LG 5402P HDSTB/160Gb PVR

Yamaha RXV659B receiver

Jamo 660 Fronts

Jame E6 centre

Jamo Sub 250 woofer

3X Jensen ceiling speakers for rear and sides.

I have a cheap yet effective DVD/VCR LG combo which is going to have to do me for some time.

The 8800 with 5 year warranty was $2950 according to the docket but as it was a package who can really say. Now the audiophiles on this forum may tutt tutt the choice of HT kit but being an average punter who has been using a el cheapo OTTB HT system for 5 years I can't wait to get it delivered. An enormous step forward in the home life of this little family in Melbourne.

Now busily trying to figure out the setup stuff although I do intend to get some cabling done so that person will probably direct me.

Question more properly for the HT forum but I will ask here anyway. Connection of all the video bits should classically be throught the receiver however a simple life might be had by plumming the video direct to the 8800. Certainly the HDSTB with HDMI out will plum into the 8800 direct. What thoughts on this weighty subject. I have read the HT FAQ thread and I am leaning towards a video direct to 8800 and digital audio to the AVR? Fors and against?

One very excited puppy.

BTW thanks so much to all the contributors to this forum. Without the expert input and real-life experience shared at this forum I would still be srcatching my head and probably have paid $1000 more than I did.

Hey Peoples,

FINALLY have the Hitachi out of the box and installed at the new house... WOW! What a great unit, looks soo much better at home than it did in the shops... I'm only viewing via Aerial direct to the TV at the moment and stil get an awesome picture... Can't wait to see it when I pick up a HD STB! :blink:

Just one question, when in the run-in mode/stage, is it best to run the picture in 'Zoom' or 'Panoramic' etc. for the first 100-200 hrs or will this not matter?

Thanks for everybody's help! Very very pleased with the purchase!

Hey Peoples,

FINALLY have the Hitachi out of the box and installed at the new house... WOW! What a great unit, looks soo much better at home than it did in the shops... I'm only viewing via Aerial direct to the TV at the moment and stil get an awesome picture... Can't wait to see it when I pick up a HD STB! :blink:

Just one question, when in the run-in mode/stage, is it best to run the picture in 'Zoom' or 'Panoramic' etc. for the first 100-200 hrs or will this not matter?

Thanks for everybody's help! Very very pleased with the purchase!

I only used zoom when there was black bars visible.

Full & Panoramic are fine. they also give you the better picture.

Cheers

Struggo

Hi ppl,

Just have a worry in mind regarding to the burn in issue. Becuase I play quite a lot of PS2. How's the 8800 handle with the burn in issue? I know the Pana are very good in handle the burn in, what about the 8800? Are they as good as Pana or similar? Thanks for any advice !!

Also I can source one for $3100 in Domayne ($3400 with 19 mths interest free), is it good? Where else in Sydney I get a bargin??

cheers

Hi ppl,

Just have a worry in mind regarding to the burn in issue. Becuase I play quite a lot of PS2. How's the 8800 handle with the burn in issue? I know the Pana are very good in handle the burn in, what about the 8800? Are they as good as Pana or similar? Thanks for any advice !!

Also I can source one for $3100 in Domayne ($3400 with 19 mths interest free), is it good? Where else in Sydney I get a bargin??

cheers

See this link

The Alis is good for reducing burn in, and the 8800 has several anti-burn in settings to help protect the panel. Image retention is always going to happen but burn in is rare.

Philip

Hi ppl,

cheers

check this poll of lyle's

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=30518&hl=

the hitachi are particualrly good temp image retention I think due to their alternate lighting system, unlike hte pio's and panas that had people complaing re logos burnt on etc during the sport over summer.

Never had any issues with my previous hitachi and no probs with my 8800 and watch sport and use with the xbox 360 etc.

check this poll of lyle's

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=30518&hl=

the hitachi are particualrly good temp image retention I think due to their alternate lighting system, unlike hte pio's and panas that had people complaing re logos burnt on etc during the sport over summer.

Never had any issues with my previous hitachi and no probs with my 8800 and watch sport and use with the xbox 360 etc.

I cannot Wait for the debut of Playstation 3....Its giving me irregula heart pulsation :blink:

Just a quick question....

Anyone using the new Pioneer DV-696AVS upscaling DVD player with their Hitach 8800??

Theres been a bit of differing opinion about this dVd player.

I have been trying to track down a Panasonic s-97 but with no luck!!!!

I am now resigned to the fact that I cant get one.

So looking at the Pioneer....Dont know if I want to spend more and get the Marantz DV6600!!

Still loving this TV by the way...It keeps blowing me away with the picture quality...

I was amazed at how good Planet Earth looked on the ABC....

Cheers

Sunil.

Just a quick question....

Anyone using the new Pioneer DV-696AVS upscaling DVD player with their Hitach 8800??

Theres been a bit of differing opinion about this dVd player.

I have been trying to track down a Panasonic s-97 but with no luck!!!!

I am now resigned to the fact that I cant get one.

So looking at the Pioneer....Dont know if I want to spend more and get the Marantz DV6600!!

Still loving this TV by the way...It keeps blowing me away with the picture quality...

I was amazed at how good Planet Earth looked on the ABC....

Cheers

Sunil.

i have tested my pioneer 989 avis @1080i via hdmi and can tell you the image quality is nothing short of breathtaking, through component the image seems just a tad softer.., though i uses my htpc for my 8800 and leave the 989 to the sony pj.....,

i have tested my pioneer 989 avis @1080i via hdmi and can tell you the image quality is nothing short of breathtaking, through component the image seems just a tad softer.., though i uses my htpc for my 8800 and leave the 989 to the sony pj.....,

Delivery of my 8900 comes on Thursday (only 2 more sleeps). Have also purchased the LG twin HD tuner

160gb PVR and will set up using HDMI. I currenty have a Pioneer progresssive scan dvd player that i will connect via component. Do you thing if i get an upscaling dvd player using 1080i i will notice any difference in picture quality ? This is a raging debate i am having with friends and salesman. I am not sure if it worth upgrading or just wait for Blue Ray High Def.

What are your thoughts ?

Cheers Simon