Hitachi 42PD8800TA

Just purchased an Hitachi 8800 complete with Toppy 7000 - managed to get the plasma for $3,000 (2 yr interest free) and only another $300 for 5 yr warranty, so all in all not a bad result.

I have 4 mates who have bought the same model over the past year and they all swear by it. That said, really looking forward to receiving it in a few days time.

One question i do have is that im running foxtel IQ and also have an all in one SONY DVD/Amp/5.1 Surround setup. So what exactly is the best way to configure the sound?

The foxtel sound runs into the amp via rca which leaves only 1 spare set of rca's connections - is it then simply a matter of connecting the Toppy to the 8800 via HDMI and then running the sound from the rca output in the 8800 into the amp?

Am i just complicating things here or better still, is there another configuration/type of cable that will give me a better result?

Any help would be much appreciated

cheers

Craig

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi ppl,

after reading lots of ppl's review about the Hitachi 8800 now I want to get one 2. Where can I get the cheapest one in Sydney?? Thanks for any inputs !!

I bought mine from DJ's (city) and they had 18 in stock on Thursday which was a considerable amount

as i had the impression they were getting very hard to come by. Bing Lee (moore park) had some as did JB (chatswood).

Prices are viturally at cost now as its the run-out model - dont pay more that $3K for the screen alone.

You can get this price at most of these stores as long as you do the walk around price match game.

DJ's are offering an in-house 2 yrs interest free and have a much classier service than the other cowboys.

I bought mine from DJ's (city) and they had 18 in stock on Thursday which was a considerable amount

as i had the impression they were getting very hard to come by. Bing Lee (moore park) had some as did JB (chatswood).

Prices are viturally at cost now as its the run-out model - dont pay more that $3K for the screen alone.

You can get this price at most of these stores as long as you do the walk around price match game.

DJ's are offering an in-house 2 yrs interest free and have a much classier service than the other cowboys.

JB Chatswood sold out as of Sunday... well there is a display stock for sale there at midday.. I am sure that would go REALLY cheap!!

JB Chatswood also told me they will NOT be bringing in the 8900.. They will be only selling the 5xxx and 7xxx series..

The foxtel sound runs into the amp via rca which leaves only 1 spare set of rca's connections - is it then simply a matter of connecting the Toppy to the 8800 via HDMI and then running the sound from the rca output in the 8800 into the amp?

You might be disappointed Craig - there is no RCA out on the 8800 - I know I was astounded when I found this out.

cheers,

John

You might be disappointed Craig - there is no RCA out on the 8800 - I know I was astounded when I found this out.

cheers,

John

Guys,

You run foxtel RCA L & R into the 8800. Then from the monitor out RCA L & R to your amp.

This will send all RCA L & R sound that is installed on the 8800 to your amp.

This does not send the hdmi sound out. Therefore the Toppy will need to have the digital output connected to the amp also for 5.1

Cheers

Struggo

Guys,

You run from the monitor out RCA L & R to your amp.

This does not send the hdmi sound out.

Unfortunately it's not only HDMI sound that's not output from the 8800 monitor out, you will have the same problem with Component sources (AV1 - AV3). It's quite anoying actually.

Unfortunately it's not only HDMI sound that's not output from the 8800 monitor out, you will have the same problem with Component sources (AV1 - AV3). It's quite anoying actually.

That also. Spot on you are drkrac. I have the same problem with my Pana 68cm CRT via component.

BTW I was quoted $650 to have my Plasma wall mounted with all wiring behind the wall as well as wiring up my home theatre (Which is already anyway). The wall mount is lockable. I thought this was a bit high or is it the going rate?

Cheers

Struggo

Hi ppl,

after reading lots of ppl's review about the Hitachi 8800 now I want to get one 2. Where can I get the cheapest one in Sydney?? Thanks for any inputs !!

JB HI FI @ Campbelltown had one for $2850 sticker price. Phone 4620 0020

Not sure if is was display only. Worth a call.

Struggo

Guys,

You run foxtel RCA L & R into the 8800. Then from the monitor out RCA L & R to your amp.

This does not send the hdmi sound out. Therefore the Toppy will need to have the digital output connected to the amp also for 5.1

Cheers

Struggo

As mentioned it doesnt seem the 8800 has an rca output, ive just looked at the back panel

and it I cant see any.

How on earth do i get the sound from my HDMI STB into the amp if this is the case?

Sorry for my naivity but is 'Monitor out RCA' something different, Struggo?

Also, are you saying if i want the Digital sound & 5.1 that HDMI provides i need to run it direct to the amp via

a digital output on the Toppy?

bit new to this game sorry - i just want the best connections i can possibly get with his setup

cheers for the help

Also, are you saying if i want the Digital sound & 5.1 that HDMI provides i need to run it direct to the amp via

Correct. Most STBs will output audio through multiple outputs simultaneously. So just because you use HDMI that also carries audio doesn't mean you can't use another one of the Toppy's audio outputs at the same time. In fact I do this with my LG PVR. I use the HDMI connection for video and an additional digital coaxial cable to the amp (AVR) for 5.1 audio. You'll may also need to disable the inbuilt speakers on the 8800 in the audio menu as it will probably output the 2 channel audio from the HDMI signal by default.

So if your Sony AVR has a spare digital audio input (either optical or coaxial) then just connect the Toppy via one of those connections and you should get full 5.1 sound no problemo.

As mentioned it doesnt seem the 8800 has an rca output, ive just looked at the back panel

and it I cant see any.

How on earth do i get the sound from my HDMI STB into the amp if this is the case?

Sorry for my naivity but is 'Monitor out RCA' something different, Struggo?

bit new to this game sorry - i just want the best connections i can possibly get with his setup

cheers for the help

RCA is just the name for a connection type. The monitor out can send Video (yellow) & Sound (Left = White & Right = Red) to any capable device such as DVD Recorder, VCR or just the sound only as I do at the moment to my amp. The 8800 will only send Image & sound from the inputs which been connected via composite and/or s-video only.

I not sure about the Toppy but you can run from most DVD players and Foxtel L&R sound to TV for normal veiwing and optical to your amp for the 5.1 surround when it is available. All I do is press the mute button on the remote so that is doesn't drown out the 5.1.

If you have one optical input on your amp, run one via coaxial and/or buy a splitter form DSE.

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/P6700

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/C1789

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/C1773

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...uct/View/CA0400

Cheers

Struggo

Correct. Most STBs will output audio through multiple outputs simultaneously. So just because you use HDMI that also carries audio doesn't mean you can't use another one of the Toppy's audio outputs at the same time. In fact I do this with my LG PVR. I use the HDMI connection for video and an additional digital coaxial cable to the amp (AVR) for 5.1 audio. You'll may also need to disable the inbuilt speakers on the 8800 in the audio menu as it will probably output the 2 channel audio from the HDMI signal by default.

So if your Sony AVR has a spare digital audio input (either optical or coaxial) then just connect the Toppy via one of those connections and you should get full 5.1 sound no problemo.

Great, thanks Felix

So seeing as though there is no rca output from the 8800, best direct the rca sound from

foxtel straight into the amp with a SCART-Component into the tv?

Will this give me the best quality connections?

cheers

RCA is just the name for a connection type. The monitor out can send Video (yellow) & Sound (Left = White & Right = Red) to any capable device such as DVD Recorder, VCR or just the sound only as I do at the moment to my amp. The 8800 will only send Image & sound from the inputs which been connected via composite and/or s-video only.

I not sure about the Toppy but you can run from most DVD players and Foxtel L&R sound to TV for normal veiwing and optical to your amp for the 5.1 surround when it is available. All I do is press the mute button on the remote so that is doesn't drown out the 5.1.

If you have one optical input on your amp, run one via coaxial and/or buy a splitter form DSE.

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/P6700

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/C1789

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/C1773

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...uct/View/CA0400

Cheers

Struggo

Ok im with ya now.....think i've got it sussed - cheers, Struggo

Great, thanks Felix

So seeing as though there is no rca output from the 8800, best direct the rca sound from

foxtel straight into the amp with a SCART-Component into the tv?

Will this give me the best quality connections?

cheers

I have Foxtel too and definitely get the best results through SCART to component for video. You can certainly connect audio directly from the Fox STB to your amp through RCA no worries. But don't you have a digital audio out option on your Foxtel STB?

I know that the IQ which I have has digital optical audio which I use but also doesn't a regular Foxtel Digital STB have digital audio out too? If so and you do have a spare digital input to your amp then this would probably give you the best possible audio experience, especially if you subscribe to the Fox movie channels that offer DD 5.1 audio.

I have Foxtel too and definitely get the best results through SCART to component for video. You can certainly connect audio directly from the Fox STB to your amp through RCA no worries. But don't you have a digital audio out option on your Foxtel STB?

I know that the IQ which I have has digital optical audio which I use but also doesn't a regular Foxtel Digital STB have digital audio out too? If so and you do have a spare digital input to your amp then this would probably give you the best possible audio experience, especially if you subscribe to the Fox movie channels that offer DD 5.1 audio.

I do have IQ and yes after reading all these comments I will now connect the sound via coaxial to the amp.

Why I have not done this before I have no idea. I have been sat there with a cracking 5.1 setup and

been listening to the foxtel movies in stereo, what a plum! :blink:

All these combinations are new to me but am learning very quickly - imagine if I hadnt bought

a plasma thus kickstarting my interest - id have been sitting there with inferior sound thinking it was 'the business'

thanks for your help, sure ill have more to ask when i set the 42" 8800 up come wednesday delivery, cant wait!

Hey Struggo how did you deal with the "casualty" on your plasma? is everything alright now? or are you still

looking into ways to fix it? p.s best wishes~ :P

Hi Ivalice,

Hitachi say they can do nothing due to the time frame of my complaint. Bing Lee rep rang them also. He said he will exchange and help me if he can. He needs the okay from Hitachi. :D

I just found another little one also. They seem to have been caused by a sharp object. You acutally feel the cut with your finger nail.

Not happy with Hitachi response as I did notify them on the 6th day as it was the first time I had the curtains drawn to allow sunlight on the unit.

I'm now awaiting a response from Fair Trading. :blink:

Cheers

Struggo

Hi Ivalice,

Hitachi say they can do nothing due to the time frame of my complaint. Bing Lee rep rang them also. He said he will exchange and help me if he can. He needs the okay from Hitachi. :D

I just found another little one also. They seem to have been caused by a sharp object. You acutally feel the cut with your finger nail.

Not happy with Hitachi response as I did notify them on the 6th day as it was the first time I had the curtains drawn to allow sunlight on the unit.

I'm now awaiting a response from Fair Trading. :blink:

Cheers

Struggo

:P Hang in there buddy, I wouldnt be surprised if ACCC would intervein, at least its definitely worth

the effort. Having said that, I would suspect Hitachi would "eventually" grant you a replacement unit, it is

really just a matter of time. Afterall Hitachi has very reasonable international reputations. Best wishes again!

Stuggo,

Have you picked up your Toppy 7000 yet? Or have you decided to go with another box?

Keep me posted with the results..

:D

Schmick,

I grabed the Philips DTR7200. :P

Great interface and runs 1080i like the Toppy. I'm having an issue with mine where the picture on all channels just pauses for a split second on either HD & SD when running at 1080i. I changed the HDMI cable with another, still the same. :blink:

The 8800 runs fine from my Pana DVD S97 @ 1080i. I believe it's the box.

I have the unit siting about 20cm above my Foxtel IQ. There was no problem with my Supernet 8000t in the same place.

Many others are having no problems.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=37961

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=36944

http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/accessories/0,3...40062801,00.htm

Cheers

Struggo

PS A few people had complained of trouble with the Toppy on this forum that's why I went the Phillips.