Hitachi 42PD8800TA

Hi Guys,

can someone confirm something for me please??

I am waiting delivery of my set tomorrow. In the meantime I downloaded the manual from the Hitachi website to have a look. I will be hooking up my LG LST5100 HD set top box using a DVI to HDMI cable...

Have already bought the cable from Dick Smith. Now I notice in the manual that when using a DVI to HDMI cable I need to also use the audio terminal....

My question is.....is this audio terminal the standard 2 RCA(Red/White)??

In the manual it says something like use a Mini Stereo Plug and the diagram indicates only 1 terminal...

What kind of connection is this and what type of cable do I need??

Any help would be much appreciated...

Sunil.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

I am waiting delivery of my set tomorrow. In the meantime I downloaded the manual from the Hitachi website to have a look. I will be hooking up my LG LST5100 HD set top box using a DVI to HDMI cable...

Have already bought the cable from Dick Smith. Now I notice in the manual that when using a DVI to HDMI cable I need to also use the audio terminal....

In the manual it says something like use a Mini Stereo Plug and the diagram indicates only 1 terminal...

Sunil.

There is an audio connection directly below the HDMI input on the Panel for use when connecting via DVI (which doesn't transmit sound). It's for a 3.5mm stereo plug (you know, the small one you use for headphones), so you will need a RCA to mini stereo cable for that. Readily available from any electronics store (including afore mentioned Dick Smith)

Good luck! And enjoy your new toy!

There is an audio connection directly below the HDMI input on the Panel for use when connecting via DVI (which doesn't transmit sound). It's for a 3.5mm stereo plug (you know, the small one you use for headphones), so you will need a RCA to mini stereo cable for that. Readily available from any electronics store (including afore mentioned Dick Smith)

Good luck! And enjoy your new toy!

Thanks for the quick reply drkrac....

I will go and buy a RCA to mini stereo cable tonight from Dick Smith. Have it all ready to go when the set arrives tomorrow....

Cant wait!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!

Sunil.

Hi Guys,

Sunil.

you'll need another cable from the likes of dse or jaycar which takes audio from rca stereo to mini stereo pluf that you plus int othe back of the panel jsut above the hdmi port

hehehe beat me to it dkrac hehe

hey people buying this bad boy soon, just wondering if i were to hook up my htpc, what would be the best res to use it??, ie, what res is its native, correct me if i;m wrong but isnt 1024*1024 a perfect square??

I'm not certain, but I seem to recall that the recommended input resolution from a PC for the 8800 is 1024x768. I know that's a 4:3 resolution but I think it scales correctly (pixels in the ALIS panel are rectangular).

Anyone else know for sure?

(Sorry if I beat you to it again Al, :blink: )

I'm not certain, but I seem to recall that the recommended input resolution from a PC for the 8800 is 1024x768. I know that's a 4:3 resolution but I think it scales correctly (pixels in the ALIS panel are rectangular).

thanks for the reply drkrac, do u think i should send the htpc via hdmi (dvi adaptor) or dsub??

Hmm, not sure if it will acept 1024x768 via HDMI, instead you would need to send either a 1080i or 720p signal as that's what it's designed for. Some video cards let you do this though. Probably worth trying both and seeing what looks best.

First, check page 59 of the user's manual.

If using DVI->HDMI (recommended) then make sure your video card will do 1920 x 1080 which is the best resolution to use. You can use your choice of brand, but personally I prefer nVidia. There will be overscan, but desktop size correction tools (either nVida or third-party like Powerstrip) will fix that.

If using analogue .... re-evaluate your life, you loser. :D

OK, seriously though, using VGA needs one of the resolutions stated in the manual, including either 1280 x 768 or 1366 x 768 (recommended). The plasma auto-adjusts to size the desktop to the screen.

First, check page 59 of the user's manual.

If using DVI->HDMI (recommended) then make sure your video card will do 1920 x 1080 which is the best resolution to use. You can use your choice of brand, but personally I prefer nVidia. There will be overscan, but desktop size correction tools (either nVida or third-party like Powerstrip) will fix that.

If using analogue .... re-evaluate your life, you loser. :blink:

OK, seriously though, using VGA needs one of the resolutions stated in the manual, including either 1280 x 768 or 1366 x 768 (recommended). The plasma auto-adjusts to size the desktop to the screen.

thanks mate, yeah i've always sworn by nvidia, and will be using dvi-hdmi...

just payed for my hitachi 8800 plasma!!, i got bing lee casula to price match $2800, by the previous poster who bought theirs from bing lee castle hill, bieng delivered this friday!!.....

excedllent stuff arushan. Do post when you get it particualrly how you find it with your pio player.

just payed for my hitachi 8800 plasma!!, i got bing lee casula to price match $2800, by the previous poster who bought theirs from bing lee castle hill, bieng delivered this friday!!.....

Great stuff Arushan you wont regret it....

I had mine delivered yesterday...man they were punctual....they arrived at 7.30am!!!!!

Cant complain though just happy to have the set delivered in one piece!!!!

Dont know how I got to work after that!!!! Man was I tempted to take the day off!!!!

But raced home from work and couldnt wait to get it all set up.....

Spent about an hour setting it all up the way I liked....I had previously downloaded the manual so was pretty easy... The set was quite heavy!!!(compared to my Samsung SD plasma anyway) my wife and I struggled to get it onto our TV cabinet!!!! Connected all my gear up...

Man was I impressed!!!!!!Even with just the run in settings things looked spectacular....

I had previously been very dissapointed with my Samsung SD plasma....piece of rubbish!!!!

The picture was terrible and the solarisation was unbearable!!!!

Now this was amazing!!! Watched both Prison break and NCIS....not the slightest hint of solarosation!!!

The picture looked amazing....even my wife commented on how good the picture looked (and she has always said that she has no idea about these things!!!)..

Overall Im so pleased I bought this TV....Cant wait till the weekend to do some major TV watching.

Cant wait to get it run in so I can tweak the settings...Already have 5-6 hours on it from yesterday!!!!!! :blink:

Thanks again to everyone here in helping me make the decisison...

And what a great price too....Less than what I paid for my piece of crap Samsung last year!!!!

Sunil.

Overall Im so pleased I bought this TV....Cant wait till the weekend to do some major TV watching.

Cant wait to get it run in so I can tweak the settings...Already have 5-6 hours on it from yesterday!!!!!! :blink:

And what a great price too....Less than what I paid for my piece of crap Samsung last year!!!!

Sunil.

Makes me want to reminisce about my 1st day with the 8800. Exciting stuff! Enjoy it mate! :D

Makes me want to reminisce about my 1st day with the 8800. Exciting stuff! Enjoy it mate! :D

I remember my first day as it was only last week.

I love this sexy thing. :blink:

How can we access the hours menu?

Cheers

Struggo

Great stuff Arushan you wont regret it....

I had mine delivered yesterday...man they were punctual....they arrived at 7.30am!!!!!

Cant complain though just happy to have the set delivered in one piece!!!!

Dont know how I got to work after that!!!! Man was I tempted to take the day off!!!!

But raced home from work and couldnt wait to get it all set up.....

Spent about an hour setting it all up the way I liked....I had previously downloaded the manual so was pretty easy... The set was quite heavy!!!(compared to my Samsung SD plasma anyway) my wife and I struggled to get it onto our TV cabinet!!!! Connected all my gear up...

Man was I impressed!!!!!!Even with just the run in settings things looked spectacular....

I had previously been very dissapointed with my Samsung SD plasma....piece of rubbish!!!!

The picture was terrible and the solarisation was unbearable!!!!

Now this was amazing!!! Watched both Prison break and NCIS....not the slightest hint of solarosation!!!

The picture looked amazing....even my wife commented on how good the picture looked (and she has always said that she has no idea about these things!!!)..

Sunil.

Great stuff, i'm kinda acting like a little kid on the day before christmas!!...

can't i've already laid all the wires and even Cleaned up the place a bit!!!!!!, awaiting for the arrival,, will let you guys know how the bad boy settles in...

I remember my first day as it was only last week.

I love this sexy thing. :blink:

How can we access the hours menu?

Cheers

Struggo

Is anyone using an upscaling DVD player with this TV?? If so what are your opinions??

Is it worth it?? Is there a significant difference in picture quality over the standard DVD player??

Cheers

Sunil.

Hey Struggo heres the details about accessing the service menu from a previous post.....

Hi,

Just got the service manual for the above plasma in the mail today.

There is a lot of info in there regarding settings etc.

One of the things someone asked here the other day was how to see the hours of usage.

It can be seen on the screen as follows:

1. Turn your plasma on

2. Turn your plasma off using the sub-power button on the RHS of the plasma

3. The plasma is now in standby mode

4. Press the sub-power button AND the input select button AND the down-arrow button at the same time and hold for more than 5 seconds

You are now in adjustment mode.

Here is where it can get dangerous so be very careful!!!!!!!!!!

Use the down-arrow button to scroll down until you see number 814 on the LHS on the screen

Next to that you will see a number between 0 and 65535 (max). That is the number of hours the panel has been used. Mine was 873 which is pretty much what it has done and also indicates to me that it basically starts at 0 hours when you first get it. (i.e no 100 hours factory run etc)

After seen it PRESS "Menu button" on remote or RHS of plasma to release "Adjustment mode and the set will return to normal operation.

WORD OF WARNING:

All care taken no responsibility accepted!

There are about 1066 possible fields where values can be changed accidently if you press the wrong button other then the down-arrow button to get to line number 814.

Note: The up and down arrow button selects the line you want to see

Important!!!! The left and right button changes the values of the highlighted line. DO NOT USE!!!

I would NOT recommend using the remote control although it does work. It is to easy to accidently push the left or right arrow button.

Is anyone using an upscaling DVD player with this TV?? If so what are your opinions??

Is it worth it?? Is there a significant difference in picture quality over the standard DVD player??

Cheers

Sunil.

I am using the pana s-97. Hell yeah its worth it! Originally i had my old sony progressive scan dvd player hooked upto it via component and i thought the pq was amazing back then but entered the realm of upscaling and am using it on the 1080i setting via hdmi and believe me the pq is awesome when u use a 1080i source for this tv. To put it simply it was made for 1080i source, the internal scaler with this res really shines.

A 1080i feed and the tv switches to its native res and everything is sharper, clearer and much more vivid than any other setting. Still not exactly HD but damn its sexy!

hehe same here

and yeah it is quite a heavy and such a well made thing isnt it :blink:

Hi Alebonau,

My wife just found a hair line scratch on my screen about 10cm long. You only see it when there is direct sunlight on it and at a certain angle. I wish she didn't tell me.

What do I do?

How can I possibly prove it was like that out of the box?

I might try that KLEAR SCREEN product. Has anybody used it?

http://www.softconnect.com.au/osCommerce/p...products_id=206

http://www.macmall.com.au/mall/customer/home.php?cat=435

http://www.klearscreen.com/faq.html

http://www.shopireland.ie/electronics/deta...2oz-LCD-Screen/

A shattered :D

Struggo

PS I still love her.

Hi Alebonau,

My wife just found a hair line scratch on my screen about 10cm long. You only see it when there is direct sunlight on it and at a certain angle. I wish she didn't tell me.

What do I do?

I might try that KLEAR SCREEN product. Has anybody used it?

It's going to be very hard to convince your store that the scratch was from out of the box. They'll probably say you scratched it.

Try the klear screen and see how it goes. Sorry to hear that, mate.

Not sure about proof - but you'll lose warranty coverage if you try first to fix it yourself. Try a Hitachi warranty call first - if you didn't do it, then it's up to Hitachi to fix.

Good luck.

Not sure about proof - but you'll lose warranty coverage if you try first to fix it yourself. Try a Hitachi warranty call first - if you didn't do it, then it's up to Hitachi to fix.

Good luck.

Hi HDFAN,

I have got three little ones. So therefore I'm not really sure.

Cheers

Struggo