Hitachi 42PD8800TA

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi'

does anyone know the dimensions of the box the 8800 is packed in? If so would you please post, I may be able to place it upright on the rear seat to get it home, depending on dimensions.

Regards Bill

your best getting it delivered bill. if you had a crash and the plasma got written off its not covered. delivery for something like this is only $40 from most stores and saves you the back work of lugging it into and out the car.

I've had an hitachi alis panel for two years and going onto a newer one. Never quite got the multi brand remote to work anything but the tv itself. Will try again with the new model screen when get it to try work the dvd and stb.

The hitachi I never had any log term image retention issues. certainly not liek the pioneer and pana's where you had people posting all over the place about logos burnt on etc after the tennis and cricket we had over the last summer. I think its the alternate lighting system of alis that particularly makes it not so susceptible to image retention as other type plasmas.

All that said I think hte first 100 hours while the phosphors are young and settling in, like any other plasma its particualrly susceptible. Best not to leave it for long times with stic images and watch hours on ours of 4:3 material. Vary your watching as you would with 1/2 hr of this and hour or two of that with ad breaks in between and you'll find it jsut fine !

is the digital nature of hdmi or even dvi that dont let you do a lot of things with the signal. To be honest my old hitachi had the split screen feature and in the two years of owning not once did I use frrl the need to use the split screen with my analog input devices (dvd, xbox360, input from avr & sub). You can get component cables from the lieks of jaycar and htcustom cables with their kordz that have all three component cables in the one sheath, reducign the overall cable count !

that said understand the frustration, but yeah wont be long I'd imagine before your so rapt up in the beaut pics etc you'll totally forget its nto soemthgin you can do ! :blink:

All - thanks for your extremely helpful comments to my questions. I suspect that your comment about not missing functionality that you wouldn't typically use anyway is exactly on the money.

One more (possibly easy) question for the buffs...

On one of my HDTV channels through the set top box (specifically the Chanel 10 HD broadcast), the colours on the screen are all purple and black like a photo negative. Any idea why this is and how I get the true colour for this channel? The other Channel 10 channel options through tht STB are all SD are work fine - however, I assume it's better to watch in HD if you can?

CHeers, DanDan

Guest clay_tone
Someone at another forum posted they had seen a hd hitachi 42" plasma for $1999 at retravision. Anyone know if this is true?

A Retravision store in Adelaide was advertising a Hitachi 42" HD for $1,999. Unfortunately it was the older 6000 model which has received very average feedback. The sale commenced around 3 weeks ago.

HN today have the 8900 for $3799.

I went in to buy the last 8800 and it was gone. Oh well.

Great news... But what did you think... pic quality.. aesthetics etc.. any thoughts??

anything :blink:

great to hear RB, yes do post yoru thoughts & impressions in regards this new screen.

Ok, I'll tell what I had time to view (esp. with my 2yo in tow!!).

Aesthetically it looks pretty much identical to the 8800 (as we know from the website).

The HN near us has "perfect" viewing conditions ie the furtherest you can get from the screen is the back of the plasma behind you (a bit like the isles in Woollies but smaller!). They had component hooked up to a HD STB (I checked), but I didn't have a chance to check what signal they were using (SD or HD) - it was a daytime footy show or something.

The picture looks (from that distance) remarkably lifelike. It appears to be a step above the 8800 (although I only had my memory to tell me this).

The picture is incredibly clear, very, very sharp, colours are great, not oversaturated, tones are nice, reasonably natural - and I guess it was the default setup too (no thought put in at our HN). The "grain" sometimes present on plasmas was quite difficult to discern, which is good for me, cause I hate that.

There seems to be a little bit of sparklies (for want of a better word) near the edges of fixed/moving objects (such as a head on the screen in an interview) but I was very close to the screen.

Getting a chance to move further back (say 3m or so) the unit (which was next to a Samsung and Pana "HD" screen) just blew them both away. The sparklies also disappeared. They may be camera induced or something, I don't know, but you don't notice them at normal viewing distances.

The field of view was really good and I was able to move almost next to the screen and still see it clearly. Hitachi's claims are good in this regard.

Not sure why they put twin analog (!) tuners in though, as these would be useless to me as analog is crappy at the best of time (and very weather dependant).

Couldn't demo the sound at all as there were too many other noises and a million people.

I'm confused re wall mounting as the book seems to indicate it needs to be 10cm away from the wall for ventilation purposes (which confused me a bit as I thought these things ventilated from the bottom to top) ??

Anyway, that's about all for a first look. We need to sell our wall unit and get rid of our 68cm Sony before we can get one of these. On the bright side, went back home and watched Lord of War on our AE700 in bliss.

Chriso

good on you for posting RB. I'm still waiting for my replacment hitachi from HN, was supposed to be a 8800 but if they keep drag it out too long I might even end up with a 8900. So good to read your impressions and think at this stage will be pretty happy with either, anyways good to hear the 8900 is not a backward step for hitachi :blink:

Well, in your favour, the guy at HN said he had two people with 8800's on order and he couldn't get them. So.... maybe 8900 for you. That would be choice :blink::D

thanks RB, fingers crossed hey :P

damn good report Red Bastard considering you had your 2yo in tow :blink: thanks for that.

yep fingers crossed alebonau that an 8900 might be yours.. Still, everyone I know who has the 8800 absolutely loves it..

Has anyone seen the 8900 in stores in Melbourne and how much ? I am very keen to buy a Hitachi plasma (8800) but i might wait for the new model. Should i wait ?

Has anyone seen the 8900 in stores in Melbourne and how much ? I am very keen to buy a Hitachi plasma (8800) but i might wait for the new model. Should i wait ?

went past HN in chadstone and theyve still got the 8800 in stock and on the shelf and were mighty keen to talk turkey though I didnt oblige :blink:

Did they say when they are going to start selling the 8900 ?

In a months time I was told when went past there on friday. There must be a lot more stock of the 8800 in melb than sydney.

In a months time I was told when went past there on friday. There must be a lot more stock of the 8800 in melb than sydney.

I just spoke to Hitachi and apparantly there are no more 8800s in their warehouses, so they cannot be ordered. It is just what retailers have left, so I don't think they will be available for too much longer.

Ozy

I just spoke to Hitachi and apparantly there are no more 8800s in their warehouses, so they cannot be ordered. It is just what retailers have left, so I don't think they will be available for too much longer.

Ozy

Well thats good to know ozy. I'm still not ringing HN to chase up on my screen, just incase they have a 8800 in stock or on the floor :blink:

Went to JB Hi Fi Chapel St Prahran today and store manager confimed the Hitachi 8800 is now discontinued. Is calling Hitachi for me to find out exactly when new model 8900 arrives and how much it will be. He was very willing to negotiate a price on the 8800, the ticket price was $3486 but in the blink of an eye he said he would do it for $3000 or maybe less.

Went to JB Hi Fi Chapel St Prahran today and store manager confimed the Hitachi 8800 is now discontinued. Is calling Hitachi for me to find out exactly when new model 8900 arrives and how much it will be. He was very willing to negotiate a price on the 8800, the ticket price was $3486 but in the blink of an eye he said he would do it for $3000 or maybe less.

let us know what you find out simon re the 8900. And that is a good price on the 8800 which I reckon will be mighty attractive for many for a nice set that it is.

Which HN did you see the 8900 at?

Ive got one on order, but the HN here are giving me the run around saying they arent released to the public for at least another month.

If you can tell me it would be really appreciated. Cheers :blink:

Which HN did you see the 8900 at?

Ive got one on order, but the HN here are giving me the run around saying they arent released to the public for at least another month.

If you can tell me it would be really appreciated. Cheers :blink:

where exactly are you amaru and which HN ?

They said $499 but i would get them down on that. Retravision quoted me $350

around 10% for a extended warranty is pretty typical. as Peter D said if less or more its built into the overall cost price.