Hitachi 42PD8800TA

Ok, finally took the plunge! Ordered by 8800 yesterday! Very exciting!

Also got a Philips 5900 DVD player, a Topfield 4400 PVR and lots of Monster cables. Will be connected to a Yamaha 657 receiver.

Won't be set up until the weekend following Australia Day - taking the Friday off work to move and install! Can't wait!!

Thanks for all your help guys :blink:

Quoted from your previous message:

Ultimately, once it's in your home - if the PQ is good - it's a masterpiece

Very true my friend, very true.

Hope you may enjoy your Hitachi as much as we have,

Cheers

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow you guys have quite a thread going here on the hitachi, 12,000 odd views and 250 or so posts !

I've had my hitachi year and a half and still absolutely thrilled with it.

Doesn't hitachi make a great product.

great to read all these posts guys and see this kind of interest for the hitachi's

wow you guys have quite a thread going here on the hitachi, 12,000 odd views and 250 or so posts !

I've had my hitachi year and a half and still absolutely thrilled with it.

Doesn't hitachi make a great product.

great to read all these posts guys and see this kind of interest for the hitachi's

No doubt, this model 8800 will probably be one of the best selling models. With such quality picture, built, sound and coupled with such a sweet price of around $3500 that everyone seems to be getting, it is certainly deserving of being a success. And oh yes, it is still the one brand with a power swivel stand as far as I know... :blink:

Ok guys, got mine on Sat also.

Insalled and hooked up with a Denon 1920 dvd player and a Digital view DVH505 HD STB & a Denon 1801 AV Receiver...love it.

Amazing picture ect..just got to tweak the settings a bit.

Now all i have to do is get the Ch10 Digital to work and i'm set.

Seem to be having issues with the Signal Quality for Ch10 down here in Lilydale Vic. have posted on the signal forum..hope to fix it soon.

But still amazed with the quality of the unit.

Ok guys, got mine on Sat also.

Insalled and hooked up with a Denon 1920 dvd player and a Digital view DVH505 HD STB & a Denon 1801 AV Receiver...love it.

Amazing picture ect..just got to tweak the settings a bit.

Now all i have to do is get the Ch10 Digital to work and i'm set.

Seem to be having issues with the Signal Quality for Ch10 down here in Lilydale Vic. have posted on the signal forum..hope to fix it soon.

But still amazed with the quality of the unit.

No point tweaking until it has run in for a bit. Just change the Picture Mode to either Natural or Cinema.

No point tweaking until it has run in for a bit. Just change the Picture Mode to either Natural or Cinema.

When I first got mine I had it set up on dynamic...quickly found that the green of cricket fields was just too green. Switched to cinema, which made the cricket telecast much more watchable, but found that the colours were a bit muted when watching various dvds (Lord of the Rings for example, any scene showing the sky just didn't look the right shade of blue). So finally settled on natural with a few other tweaks suggested by someone else earlier in this thread, and am now happy :blink:

G'day,

Have had DVE for about a week. For DVD's (using a Pioneer DV-636D, getting a bit long in the tooth, though, and Monster MV3CV component cables) I have the following settings:

Mode: Cinema (it's just a label anyway - all the same settings can be tweaked)

Contrast: -5

Bright: +2

Color: -11

Sharp: -15

Tint: +3

Color Temp: Warm

Contrast Mode: Normal

YNR: Off

CNR: Off

Film Mode: On

3D Comb Filter: Low

LTI: Off

CTI: Off

Black Enh: Off

Auto Color: Off

Color Temp Adjust: Not changed

Color Management: Not changed

Color Decoding: Not changed

I highly recommend getting something like DVE as each source equipment is different, plus my settings may not suit your taste.

I'm sure there are further improvements to be had, and I've yet to tweak the broadcast TV picture.

Good luck.

G'day,

Have had DVE for about a week. For DVD's (using a Pioneer DV-636D, getting a bit long in the tooth, though, and Monster MV3CV component cables) I have the following settings:

Mode: Cinema (it's just a label anyway - all the same settings can be tweaked)

Contrast: -5

Bright: +2

Color: -11

Sharp: -15

Tint: +3

Color Temp: Warm

Contrast Mode: Normal

YNR: Off

CNR: Off

Film Mode: On

3D Comb Filter: Low

LTI: Off

CTI: Off

Black Enh: Off

Auto Color: Off

Color Temp Adjust: Not changed

Color Management: Not changed

Color Decoding: Not changed

I highly recommend getting something like DVE as each source equipment is different, plus my settings may not suit your taste.

I'm sure there are further improvements to be had, and I've yet to tweak the broadcast TV picture.

Good luck.

I got my DVE today in the mail.

I just hope I got the right one because it seems to be talking a lot about CRTs.

I have the PAL version. At the back it has the ISBN number: 1-932198-48-2 and it came with a booklet and 3 filters (RGB)

Is this the correct one?

Cheers

Was just wondering if anyone out there has been watching their DVD's in full mode with black bars at top and bottom whilst running in their 8800's under the 200 hr's. Have been trying to watch in zoom mode but the picture is starting to annoy me? Is it really going to get screen burn in using this mode?

Jas

Edited by RXV3000

I got my DVE today in the mail.

I just hope I got the right one because it seems to be talking a lot about CRTs.

I have the PAL version. At the back it has the ISBN number: 1-932198-48-2 and it came with a booklet and 3 filters (RGB)

Is this the correct one?

Cheers

Yup, that's the one. It's not tailored for plasmas, unfortunately, but close enough for noob's like us :blink: . Incidentally, you don't need the filters because the individual R, G and B channels can be selected in the Color Decoding menu.

Checkout http://www.avicalaustralia.com.au if you want 'professional' calibration for plasmas. I hear very good things.

Cheers,

Had a quick play around with some settings for digital TV is this seemed to be the one I thought I could improve, its hard to get a good base to work from though because of the changing images :blink: but i was able to make a very small change which made me happy. I had noticed quite a few HD/SD shows appeared quite grainy wasnt sure why as the picture was still sharp looked nice but the background on some scenes appeared a little grainy/distored this was not apparent in dvd's, the effect was slight but enough to keep me distracted. I found switching the YNR (noise reduction) setting to high helped greatly with this, Id like to do more experimenting with diff combinations given the right program to tweak them against.

RXV3000: its good to be cautious but you shouldnt over do it, from what i know of these tv's and most high end plasmas these days is they are pretty well built and arent going to suffer to many problems unless you do something really stupid like static images for a week! or something. I'm sure a black bar across the top and bottom for a 2hr movie will do you no harm, ive had black bars across mine for 20-30 mins whilst previewing dvds and really this kind of use should have no impact. I just run mine in natural mode pic mode and would not leave statics on all day, apart from that im not being ultra cautious in the first 200hrs, but thats just me I could be wrong :P

The Pioneer does show deeper blacks, but it also shows greener greens and redder reds - resulting in a less than natural picture. It was particularly stark today comparing the Hitachi and Pioneer on Channel 7's coverage of the tennis - the court colour was a different green (not darker or lighter - different altogether) on the Pioneer.

Funny thing is that people seem to asign quality to something just because it's more expensive. When the Hitachi came out, it was more expensive ($5K) than the Pana (which people were buying for under $4K). At the time, the Hitachi was getting rave reviews.

If the Pioneer didn't come with a 5 year warranty and free installation (like every other country it's sold in), the price would be MUCH cheaper (around $1000 cheaper: $400 extra warranty, $400 wall bracket, $200 installation - am being conservative). This would give it an RRP of $4999 and a selling price of around $4K. I bet that would change people's opinions quite a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Pioneer - it's probably the nicest looking (stylistically). But the PQ ain't necessarily any better than the Pana or Hitachi.

Ultimately, once it's in your home - if the PQ is good - it's a masterpiece.

I was actually watchign this combination killing some time in jb today. pio, hitachi and pana 42" all hooked up the exact same way on the tennis.

I noticed some very interestign things

the pio had yes greener greens, redder reds etc to give a little unatural effect and one other factor. the detail of the court was jsut not seen on the pio. the court was just one green mass. on the hitachi all the scuff marks from the players was clearly visible less so on the pana. one other disturbing bit on the pio - the picture on it kept showing bad interlace break up every now and then on movement. the hitachi I thought won out easily in this comparison. whether jb has completely screwed the settings on the pio who knows - and the tennis on 4+3 is probably really not hte kind of test material to be using to make a decision. looking at this comparison I'd go hitachi first pana not far behind and pio a very poor last !

and the tennis on 4+3 is probably really not hte kind of test material to be using to make a decision. looking at this comparison I'd go hitachi first pana not far behind and pio a very poor last !

why on gods earth was the tennis not in 16:9 !

Edited by magregus

RXV3000: its good to be cautious but you shouldnt over do it, from what i know of these tv's and most high end plasmas these days is they are pretty well built and arent going to suffer to many problems unless you do something really stupid like static images for a week! or something. I'm sure a black bar across the top and bottom for a 2hr movie will do you no harm, ive had black bars across mine for 20-30 mins whilst previewing dvds and really this kind of use should have no impact. I just run mine in natural mode pic mode and would not leave statics on all day, apart from that im not being ultra cautious in the first 200hrs, but thats just me I could be wrong :blink:

Thanks Blackmagic,

Thanks for the advice, $3500 dollar investment just get over worried somtimes, guess I'll just answer my own question on use the screen wipe function if i'm overly worried about burn in.

Jas.

• 2 weeks later...
who said it wasn't I meant 4+3 as in ch 7 !

I live in Melbourne what is the best price available for the Hitachi 42" PD8800TA now ?

Also has anyone purchased the new Sony HD STB with HDMI and hooked it up with the Hitachi Plasma ?

I am interested to hear what the picture quality is like.

Thanks.

Checkout http://www.avicalaustralia.com.au if you want 'professional' calibration for plasmas. I hear very good things.

Cheers,

anyone had these guys work there magic on your plasma?

email the guys & said next time in sydney they could come out for $380.00.

seems expensive but if the results are great could be money well spent.

anyone?

Some negative news to report on my hitachi although probably partialy my fault.

I've had the plasma for about 3 weeks now, and at the start of this week I noticed signs of burn in, I'm yet to see anyone really have image retention issues with this panel so really wasnt expecting it.

I should put this into perspective, this is very very slight burn in, but nevertheless it is there. It's only visible at night in a dark room, from 10-50 cm away, and only visible on the dark (not quite black) AV channels. It cant be seen at all on the white whipe screen nor any other tv show, and even with my head planted in the screen cant be seen during daylight hours. Even when it can be seen its very hard to pick up and slight, which gives me hope that will be able to get rid of it.

I'm a cricket fan so as other people have been reporting the image is the channel 9 logo, but even more suprising is even the score that sits on the top left of the screen appears, with "AUS X/XX" can make out the AUS, but not the score obvioulsy but that was suprising seeing the scoreboard changes quite abit during the cricket.

Many people talk about looking after the panels during the break in period but I was of the opinion that running this panel in 'natural' mode rather then dynamic would be sufficent from any lasting effects, as alot of people say burnin hasnt/shouldnt really be a problem with these new top quality plasmas. The natural setting with cricket does make it quite the image quite bright, and I should have put the contrast down but was enjoying my image to much, im sure if the contrast was down just a little from the default natural setting it would have been fine.

I'm fairly confident of removing the burnin, and have now been running in cinema setting and plan to do so for the next few weeks although it might be abit late now. I've tried leaving the tv running on other shows, to see if it would eventualy fade out the logo, hasnt really done so yet. I've also ran the screen wipes for 2 periods of ~15mins and that didnt do it. This morning I ran the screenwip for 1hr so will have to check tonight if it made a difference.

My other question would be how hard have you guys examined your panel? I advise you check out the screens at point blank range at night (no other lights on) with the right background to see if you have any signs of an image retention problem, as my issue im sure could easily be missed by alot of people as its only visible under the right conditions, really looking for it.

So the moral of the story:

* This panel is suseptible to burnin issues if you dont turn down default contrast (in the first few weeks) anyway, as slight as it maybe.

I will report back my efforts to remove this.

Some negative news to report on my hitachi although probably partialy my fault.

I've had the plasma for about 3 weeks now, and at the start of this week I noticed signs of burn in, I'm yet to see anyone really have image retention issues with this panel so really wasnt expecting it.

I should put this into perspective, this is very very slight burn in, but nevertheless it is there. It's only visible at night in a dark room, from 10-50 cm away, and only visible on the dark (not quite black) AV channels. It cant be seen at all on the white whipe screen nor any other tv show, and even with my head planted in the screen cant be seen during daylight hours. Even when it can be seen its very hard to pick up and slight, which gives me hope that will be able to get rid of it.

I'm a cricket fan so as other people have been reporting the image is the channel 9 logo, but even more suprising is even the score that sits on the top left of the screen appears, with "AUS X/XX" can make out the AUS, but not the score obvioulsy but that was suprising seeing the scoreboard changes quite abit during the cricket.

Many people talk about looking after the panels during the break in period but I was of the opinion that running this panel in 'natural' mode rather then dynamic would be sufficent from any lasting effects, as alot of people say burnin hasnt/shouldnt really be a problem with these new top quality plasmas. The natural setting with cricket does make it quite the image quite bright, and I should have put the contrast down but was enjoying my image to much, im sure if the contrast was down just a little from the default natural setting it would have been fine.

I'm fairly confident of removing the burnin, and have now been running in cinema setting and plan to do so for the next few weeks although it might be abit late now. I've tried leaving the tv running on other shows, to see if it would eventualy fade out the logo, hasnt really done so yet. I've also ran the screen wipes for 2 periods of ~15mins and that didnt do it. This morning I ran the screenwip for 1hr so will have to check tonight if it made a difference.

My other question would be how hard have you guys examined your panel? I advise you check out the screens at point blank range at night (no other lights on) with the right background to see if you have any signs of an image retention problem, as my issue im sure could easily be missed by alot of people as its only visible under the right conditions, really looking for it.

So the moral of the story:

* This panel is suseptible to burnin issues if you dont turn down default contrast (in the first few weeks) anyway, as slight as it maybe.

I will report back my efforts to remove this.

Sorry to hear of that drama you are having.

What were your settings when you were using natural mode?

I have the Hitachi service manual for this plasma (See here: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=29954

Will check for you what it says in there re. resolving this issue of image retension

Cheers and keep us up to date

Sorry to hear of that drama you are having.

What were your settings when you were using natural mode?

I have the Hitachi service manual for this plasma (See here: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=29954

Will check for you what it says in there re. resolving this issue of image retension

Cheers and keep us up to date

I've been playing around with the settings abit in the last few weeks, I think the settings that night (although it wasnt even my watching it that night) were reset natural which were +10 contrast, everything else 0. Which i then proceeded to change during that week even before i noticed the problem.

Checked the screen again this evening after 80min whitewash this afternoon and normal tv for awhile, looks a little more faded ie hard to make out the "AUS" on the left, but still not completely gone. I've set the tv to sleep mode in 2hrs 2nite and left it on a snowy analogue channel.

Will keep an eye on the service manual thread, looks interesting.