Hitachi 42PD8800TA

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey bigblue thanks for the new info in relations to the newer Hitachi Plasmas.

I got my self a quote from JB, they claim the RRP for the Hitachi 8800 is at $5199, however those Sales guys insisted that they were well prepared to make the prices under $5k for me, would you think by any chance I would be getting it for $4.5k? (me and a friend both want one each plus other miscellaneous accessories e.g HD STB, CABLES, HDMI DVD)

I would be rather pleased and content if they can offer this price  :blink:

I would think that If you and a mate are buying one and also spending up on HD Boxes and cables, screw em harder than $4700, a lot harder.

After all they will make profits on the cables and other stuff you buy.

I was in a Hi Fi shop a few days ago and the sales guy pointed me towards a Hitachi SD panel.

Told me it was " HD Ready" I knew he wasn't being totally honest with me.

But it did get me thinking about the hitachi panels.

After reading about the Alis panel it seems that they are very good but I have 1 misgiving.

The 1024 X 1024 screen resolution ? is this an advantage or not ?

Cheers

I was in a Hi Fi shop a few days ago and the sales guy pointed me towards a Hitachi SD panel.

Told me it was " HD Ready"  I knew he wasn't being totally honest with me.

But it did get me thinking about the hitachi panels.

After reading about the Alis panel it seems that they are very good but I have 1 misgiving.

The 1024 X 1024  screen resolution ?  is this an advantage or not ?

Cheers

I personally think the 1024 vertical lines the hitachi does the best I've seen with true 1080i material eg the original loop or 'the panel' or bert on ch10

And same goes with SD I've seen plenty of drool worthy pics on my tv and posted many times on jsut how gorgeous it looks.

you need to check out with your own eyes though compare for your self. I personally would not be jsut hung up on the technology side often its the implementation of the technology that determines what makes it a good panel or not. I've seen poor very poor implemetations of alis eg in the sony and philips models of old jsut as I've seen some very poor non alis panels.

I personally think the 1024 vertical lines the hitachi does the best I've seen with true 1080i material eg the original loop or 'the panel' or bert on ch10

And same goes with SD I've seen plenty of drool worthy pics on my tv and posted many times on jsut how gorgeous it looks.

you need to check out with your own eyes though compare for your self. I personally would not be jsut hung up on the technology side often its the implementation of the technology that determines what makes it a good panel or not. I've seen poor very poor implemetations of alis eg in the sony and philips models of old jsut as I've seen some very poor non alis panels.

Thanks for your Reply.

OK as soon as I find a 8800 in store I will take the Leader of the opposition with me and see what she thinks ..

Will be a choice between it and a Pana I am sure... Once I feel comfortable about the scaling.

Cheers

$4000 :blink:  :P  :P

Please Teach me how. IMHO i think i'll be lucky if i can pull it off from JB for $4700

Its part of a deal I struck when I had the 7800ta ordered and there was a 6 week delay and the guy said I can have the 8800ta for the same price because of the inconvenience.

Despite my personal circumstances lets compare the 2 other models that are in competition with the 8800TA, the PIO and the Pana with regards to price and PQ.

The PIO comes in around $5000 with 5 years warranty and Pio's special service.

The Pana is anywhere between $3700 and $3900 which some are getting 4 years extended warranty.

The 7800TA was going for less than $4000 and the 8800TA doesnt warrant a $700 price increase given its small improvements.

The 6000TA is now going for $3200 having been on the market for 2 months starting at $4000 a price drop of $800.

Hitachi will need to compete hard on price if they want these sets to sell.

IMHO $4700 for the 8800TA aint worth it.

Incidently from what I have heard there are two models on the 8800ta motorised swivel and non motorised swivel.

Im unsure whether those options will be available here though.

The guy who I have dealt with was the best price I could find with Hitachi when I was looking at the 7800TA

I was chastised by one forumer "way back" for claiming a price of $4250 from my retailer when other retailers were at $4500.

When the 8800TA's arrive I will find out the price he is roughly quoting and those interested can PM me for details.

Its part of a deal I struck when I had the 7800ta ordered and there was a 6 week delay and the guy said I can have the 8800ta for the same price because of the inconvenience.

Despite my personal circumstances lets compare the 2 other models that are in competition with the 8800TA, the PIO and the Pana with regards to price and PQ.

The Pana is anywhere between $3700 and $3900 which some are getting 4 years extended warranty.

The 7800TA  was going for less than $4000 and the 8800TA doesnt warrant a $700 price increase given its small improvements.

The 6000TA is now going for $3200 having been on the market for 2 months starting at $4000 a price drop of $800.

Incidently from what I have heard there are two models on the 8800ta  motorised swivel and non motorised swivel.

The guy who I have dealt with was the best price I could find with Hitachi when I was looking at the 7800TA

I was chastised by one forumer "way back" for claiming a price of $4250 from my retailer when other retailers were at $4500.

When the 8800TA's arrive I will find out the price he is roughly quoting and those interested can PM me for details.

theyre some very awesome prices you qouting there. I must say you guys must be quite the deal makers or ball breakers one or the other to pull these kind of bargains !

theyre some very awesome prices you qouting there. I must say you guys must be quite the deal makers or ball breakers one or the other to pull these kind of bargains !

Haha.

It just goes to show how much FAT the retailers build in.

Last week's liftout TV guide in the SMH had an article on Plasma's.

They had the Pana 500A rrp $4999. The reviewer said he had seen them going for $4795. Obviously he isnt a forumer and is way off the mark however I wonder how many read this and paid close to $4795..Plenty I would say.

The 7800TA  was going for less than $4000 and the 8800TA doesnt warrant a $700 price increase given its small improvements.

Incidently from what I have heard there are two models on the 8800ta  motorised swivel and non motorised swivel.

hehehe good work lasty, screw them harder on price even more in the future :blink: jk

I got a quote from www.bankstownhifi.com.au

Hitachi 42PD6000TA - $3,150 !

Good price...just installed mine cost $3,499 with bonus 4 year warranty (total 5 years)

Only quirk is the picture mode switches back to PANORAMIC each time you turn on....no good if running 16:9 input off STB...have to manually change pic mode to FULL by pressing button 5 times....Thank goodness for macro on MX500.

Other quirk is that when the broadcast changes from a scene to bright scene like a newreader, you can see the unit adjusting the brightness/contrast down in segments....probably get used to it.

Why not, who cares if they go bust and are not around to provide any after sales service.

They won't sell you anything if they arn't going to make a profit out of it.

Another point is if I get a good deal on something from a retailer I allways recomend them to others and buy other stuff from them.

I bought a new car 8 weeks ago and was very happy with the deal and " buying experiance".

As a result I took my brother in law to same dealer last friday and helped him negotiate a very good deal on a new car for himself. I got 4 grand + new wheels and tints chucked in after the dealer said he couldn't go any lower.

As a result my 2 cars and brother in laws cars will be getting their services at same dealer.

With the tv purchase I will do the same thing. For example say the average price for the pana 500a seems to be around $3800 on this forum then thats what I will expect to pay

I don't need the world' best deal. If the dealer is making around 10% on a deal then I wouldn't feel guilty about closing a purchase like that.

Having said that wife makes huge profits on crappy stuff she buys and sells on Ebay ... best so far is sale price of nearly 200 times what she paid for an item !!!!

cheers

Thanks for your Reply.

OK as soon as I find a 8800 in store I will take the Leader of the opposition with me and see what she thinks ..

Will be a choice between it and a Pana I am sure... Once I feel comfortable about the scaling.

Cheers

Here is the link to a review of the Hitachi 42PD8800TA.

http://www.cnet.com.au/hometheatre/tvs/0,3...40057945,00.htm

Seems like the reviewer is impressed with contrast and colours but criticises sharpness and analog tuner

what sort of stuff does she buy and sell enforcer?  not baby stuff or toys - sorry to go off topic?

Female clothes mainly also lingerie, sexy pvc vests, knickers and all kinds of knick knacks including , books, badges almost anything actually.

Picks them up from garage sales, liquidation auctions op shops etc etc.

We have 2 rooms at back of house full of stuff she has bought ,she has spent a cpl of grand on stock and allready made loads more than that in rtn.

Its amazing what people will buy actually and pay good bucks for

It started out as a hobby now is an obsession, our account says it is a business and needs an abn number proper tax records etc ect.

cheers

Hi all, nice to meet  everybody on this forum, after my initial period of hold back on this forum I have decided to make my first post and needless to say I need as many suggestions and opinions as possible from you fine people  :blink:

To begin my enquires I would like to possibly explain my situation and clarify it as simple as it should. now I have begin looking around for an Hitachi display for sometime now and has finally decided to go with the 42inch 7800series, incidentally I went down to my local JB and begin my hunt for the display,  to my disappiontment I was adviced from the JB sales rep that this model was no longer available due to an replacement (the 8800 series) and he has left me with his name and detail to come back in roughly a fornight time (NOV10-15th) to check out the newer models of Hitachi plasma. namely the 8800 series. so far I have only obtained some relative infomations in regards to the 8800 from the HONG KONG and SINGAPORE Hitachi websites  (I must admit though, the newer 8800 does indeed impress me with its sexy aesthetic appearance and the DUAL HDMI future is also looking very promising), however I wouldnt mind at all seen one in real life.

My question is

1. Is it definitely worthwhile to hold back and wait for the newer version?

2. has anyone seen it in real life? if so, then how good does it compare with its predecessors?

3.  Is there somewhere I can get a detailed brochure or leaflets on the 8800 series? and is there any other electronical stores (apart from Jb) who has the 8800 on display?

so any suggestions and opinion in regards to the Hitachi plasma's would be much appreciated  :P  :P  :P

Latest ticketed price on the Hitachi 42PD8800TA $4599.

Thats without negotiation so expect them around $4200.

Given that Pana delivers a great PQ its quite a large premium to pay and I would expect Hitachi if its going to sell these puppies to come nearer $4000.

Features

The Hitachi 42PD8800TA boasts a screen resolution of 1024x1024 pixels, which is on the high end of things for plasma sets of this size (the 55-inch upgrade model has a resolution of 1366x768 pixels). That means high definition signals shouldn't be a problem for this Hitachi, which is a pity since the Hitachi 42PD8800TA only comes with a built-in analog tuner. Its other panel specifications are equally high -- 3000:1 contrast ratio and 1400 cd/m2 brightness

Why are they still putting analog tuners into HD TV's?

I don't get it , analog tv is going to be switched off digital is the future.

The cynic in me might suggest inbuilt digital recievers are being held back for some sort of future marketing ploy.

I don't want to have to bugger around with STB's I mean it's supposed to be DIGITAL TV but it really isn't most tv's on the market seem to be only " DIGITAL CAPABLE" .

The average person just wants to be able to buy a DTV that they can plug in and watch. Until DTV can deliver this I am affraid the whole DTV thing will be looked on with skeptism.

cheers

Features

The Hitachi 42PD8800TA boasts a screen resolution of 1024x1024 pixels, which is on the high end of things for plasma sets of this size (the 55-inch upgrade model has a resolution of 1366x768 pixels). That means high definition signals shouldn't be a problem for this Hitachi, which is a pity since the Hitachi 42PD8800TA only comes with a built-in analog tuner. Its other panel specifications are equally high -- 3000:1 contrast ratio and 1400 cd/m2 brightness

Why are they still putting analog tuners into HD TV's?

I don't get it , analog tv is going to be switched off digital is the future.

The cynic in me might suggest inbuilt digital recievers are being held back for some sort of future marketing ploy.

I don't want to have to bugger around with STB's I mean it's supposed to be DIGITAL TV but it really isn't  most tv's on the market seem to be only " DIGITAL CAPABLE" .

The average person just wants to be able to buy a DTV that they can plug in and watch. Until DTV can deliver this I am affraid the whole DTV thing will be looked on with skeptism.

cheers

Yes I agree with you.

I will be running mine through a PC so it wont worry me if it had a digital tuner or not but for some its a pain in the rectum.

very informative and indeed guarantees the superiorty of the desired hitachi :blink:

Hitachi Australia has finally released their specs.

http://aus.hitachi.com.au/hitachi/content/...cts.asp?ID=1773

Also to have a look at the panel inputs,remote,sideview got to;

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/tvs/0...9096300p,00.htm

and click on the pictures for zoom in. :P

Just a quick question please someone, I looked at pics of the panel on this site

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/tvs/0...6300p-4+,00.htm?

I noticed a AV outlet for a subwoofer and additional speakers is this correct.

If I bought this panel and pluged a subwoofer into it , would it basically just add more bass ? 

cheers

Not sure.

I would expect so though.

This baby has 10 speakers albeit at low wattage.

I will be running mine via a PC using the sound card with the logitech Z5500's

The Mrs. will be using the panel speakers for Oprah :blink: