New top dog of budget plama's

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there any sure way to know its a gen8 panel made by samsung ?

i do not want to end up buying a gen4 panel

OK, some updates for you all, as there is a LOT of mis information, and BS here.. Jeez, i thouhg only women floundered...

Anyway.

IT IS 100% a GENERATION 8 SAMSUNG PANEL, as confirmend by email from Teac's tech department.

It uses the famous, and excelent DCDi scaler (creates the image, and is the best, bar Panasonics)

I got mine for $1799, delivered.

Mine is delivered Monday. If you want any information, ask away, much like i was the pioneer on OCAU for the Soniq plasma, i will be for this one too.

Whats the difference between gen8 and gen4 panel?

Also can someone actually confirm to me that this panel is a good buy? Im so confused with all the posts...as well as all the different prices.

This is the BEST panel sub $2500, period.

Nothign else has the mechanics, scaler, image and features at that price.

DONT PAY MORE THAN $1800! you can get it for that, mines cost me $1798 inc delivery

Oh, and someone asked before, this is also 100% confirmed HDCP over DVI.

The lastest panels have far better contrast, colour reproduction and anti burn features.

The TCL that Retrovision sell is similar to this teac, but its 10 months old, and uses a Gen4 LG. This is 100% no if's, no but's a GENUINE GEN 8 SAMSUNG PANEL!

OK, some updates for you all, as there is a LOT of mis information, and BS here.. Jeez, i thouhg only women floundered...

Anyway.

IT IS 100% a GENERATION 8 SAMSUNG PANEL, as confirmend by email from Teac's tech department.

It uses the famous, and excelent DCDi scaler (creates the image, and is the best, bar Panasonics)

Mine is delivered Monday. If you want any information, ask away, much like i was the pioneer on OCAU for the Soniq plasma, i will be for this one too.

Ahhh, St Laser joins us!

After trawling through 900+ posts at OCAU I was ready to part with $$s for the Soniq and then bugger me, you jumped ship.

I figured the TEAC must be pretty bloody good for that to happen (plus the support issues you raised) so I held off and finally got to see the TEAC today (see earlier post).

It does look fantastic (the Soniq has been put up the back), they were showing a Star Wars DVD via component and it was very impressive. I can see why you "jumped"

Where did you get yours from with the "free" delivery? I will use it as bargaining power as I will need component and RGB and DVI cables etc. etc.

Cheers

David.

This is the BEST panel sub $2500, period.

Nothign else has the mechanics, scaler, image and features at that price.

DONT PAY MORE THAN $1800! you can get it for that, mines cost me $1798 inc delivery

Oh, and someone asked before, this is also 100% confirmed HDCP over DVI.

The lastest panels have far better contrast, colour reproduction and anti burn features.

The TCL that Retrovision sell is similar to this teac, but its 10 months old, and uses a Gen4 LG. This is 100% no if's, no but's a GENUINE GEN 8 SAMSUNG PANEL!

HDCP enabled , excellent!!! thank you for reply mxlaser :blink:

would you or anyone happen to know what adapter i need to buy to hook up the lg hdmi dvd player ?

Anyway.

okay kewl , thanks for reply . where did you buy it from ? whats the warranty ?

Cant wait to buy mine! damn good guys reckon its still at the docks!

Edit: they told me they expect it tuesday now

GGs and DSE here (CC, NSW) reckon they haven't had it yet. Why? Because I went to both yesterday and there were none then. Only JB at the moment and they're asking $1998, or $2300 including delivery and the extended warranty.

Mxlaser, did you get the 5 yr warranty? Ta.

GGs and DSE here (CC, NSW) reckon they haven't had it yet. Why? Because I went to both yesterday and there were none then. Only JB at the moment and they're asking $1998, or $2300 including delivery and the extended warranty.

Mxlaser, did you get the 5 yr warranty? Ta.

No one else has them, due to how their shipping system is set up.

The facts are, they arrived at docks on 27th. They cleared docks on 7th. JB ship directly to stores on arrival of goods. Nearly all the rest, ship to a central distro, that dhips them to a state distro, that ships them to stores. Any consolation, mine doesnt arrive till monday either.

would you or anyone happen to know what adapter i need to buy to hook up the lg hdmi dvd player ?

You just need a common, not too special HDMI->DVI cable is all. $40 from Jaycar.

Ahhh, St Laser joins us!

After trawling through 900+ posts at OCAU I was ready to part with $$s for the Soniq and then bugger me, you jumped ship.

I figured the TEAC must be pretty bloody good for that to happen (plus the support issues you raised) so I held off and finally got to see the TEAC today (see earlier post).

It does look fantastic (the Soniq has been put up the back), they were showing a Star Wars DVD via component and it was very impressive. I can see why you "jumped"

Where did you get yours from with the "free" delivery? I will use it as bargaining power as I will need component and RGB and DVI cables etc. etc.

Cheers

David.

Yeah, i loved the Soniq, and still do, its still a fantastic Plasma. However, i had the oppertunity to jump, and well, im glad i did. The Teac is everything i hoped it would be, which is great :blink:

Mines not from JB. I won't name where as i don't want them inundated with calls before i get mine, once its in my hands, i'll happily help anyone get theirs for the same price. Im payign $1799 which includes delivery. The warranty "would" be one year standard. Mines extended direct with Teac from a friend their to 5 years.

Do you think this TEAC would be a good buy now? or should i wait till Christmas for further sales?

Btw, which retailer that sells these do interest free terms?

I think nows a GREAT time to buy. Xmas is still two months away. It won't drop much below $1800 simply as TV's have stayed that price for over a decade. 5 years ago, top CRT widscreens were that price, and more. So all these doomsayers hoping for $500 plasma's, its not going to happen. I see $1500 being the VERY lowest they will EVER go, and $2500 for top end HD models... Thats a LONG way off yet though.

If you get it for $1800, you wont get better not even the other side of xmas. Nows a great time to buy anyway, retail is SHOCKING ATM (love working and knowing this stuff :P ) so far more likely to get a better deal...

Think of it this way... If you went and bought a car on a wednesday and were the only buyer that day, or you went on a saturday, with the 50 other buyers that day, which day do you think they would "NEED" to sell, even at cost for turnover?

Right now, most retailers are having one of the worst lead ups to xmas on record.. Mostly due to work place reforms (job insecurity and uncertainty) and petrol prices.

Mines not from JB. I won't name where as i don't want them inundated with calls before i get mine, once its in my hands, i'll happily help anyone get theirs for the same price. Im payign $1799 which includes delivery. The warranty "would" be one year standard. Mines extended direct with Teac from a friend their to 5 years.

I've been told by Good Guys at Pooraka (SA) that they should have stock early next week. The units have apparently arrived in their warehouse in Melbourne.

Can anyone that has one of these clarify what inputs there are? I know the first post in this threads lists inputs - but are there only one of each or is there multiples of some?

I need at least 3x inputs. Computer connected by RCA using TV Out from the study (May look at replacing this cabling with VGA cabling); DVD Player (supports component, svideo & composite) and Foxtel digital (suppots component, svideo & composite).

Currently using svideo for the DVD and foxtel and our old 68cm Mitsubishi TV - obviously composite would be preferable over svideo for the foxtel and dvd?

Cheers,

Paul.

Nows a great time to buy anyway, retail is SHOCKING ATM (love working and knowing this stuff :blink: ) so far more likely to get a better deal...

Right now, most retailers are having one of the worst lead ups to xmas on record.. Mostly due to work place reforms (job insecurity and uncertainty) and petrol prices.

Mmmm. Very interesting. Thanks for the inside perspective. From what you are saying, sales staff are generally spending more time worrying about their job security and the price of petrol than getting their sales figures up.

It really is weird how quickly the landscape changes. About six month's ago I asked a salesman "Who could afford these $7000 TVs?", expecting him to say they were not big sellers and only bought by the wealthy few. To my surprise he said "Last week I sold nine of them, mostly to women." I had no reason to doubt him as this was just a casual conversation that took place after I had bought my (rather small in comparison) item.

I just emailed Teac about the 5yr warranty as the website still lists it under promotions (with an expiry date of 30/9).

They told me that whilst the 5yr offer has finished, all Plasmas purchased from 1/10/05 to 1/1/06 come with a limited 3-year warranty. Trying to get details now on how 'limited' the 3 year offer is.

Cheers,

Paul.

I just emailed Teac about the 5yr warranty as the website still lists it under promotions (with an expiry date of 30/9).

They told me that whilst the 5yr offer has finished, all Plasmas purchased from 1/10/05 to 1/1/06 come with a limited 3-year warranty.  Trying to get details now on how 'limited' the 3 year offer is.

Cheers,

Paul.

ive tried emailing them and they never get back to me , what address do you use ?

I just picked up one of these today, there's so many features and what they are supposed to do, not listed in the manual which is quite fustrating trying to figure out.

But other than that, PQ is quite good connected to a set top box via DVI, but the unit does run a tad hot after 30mins of use.