New top dog of budget plama's

If any of you have noticed, DSE have listed on their website, a new Teac SD plasma.

Now, having contacted an old friend at Teac, i have some info for you.

106cm (42") 16:9 SD Plasma Display

DV Input

852 x 480 Pixel Resolution

Contrast Ratio 10000:1

Brightness 1500 cd⁄m2

160 degrees Viewing Angle

In-built Analogue Tuner

Audio Output Power (7W+ 7W)

Digital Visual Interface (DVI)

16.77 Million Colours

Sleep Timer

Multi-Language OSD

Zoom Function

Video Input⁄Output

Audio Input⁄Output

S-Video Input

YPb(Pr)⁄Cb(Cr) Component Input

RS232C Interface Functionality

VGA Input

PC Audio Input

Headphone Input

Full Function Remote Control

Dimensions (w⁄o stand): 1242mm(W) x 750mm(H) x 92mm (D)

Dimensions (w⁄ stand): 1242mm(W) x 824mm(H) x 358mm (D)

Weight: 41.5kg

Now, technical. It uses the same Gen8 panel that is found on Samsungs latest offering, and also JB HIFI's Soniq plasma (fantastic black reproduction)

It is coupled with a Genisis 1501 Processor and a DCDi (Practically still the best) Scaler. And i looks **** hot too... Resembling a big like the panasonic plasmas.

I have the manual and tech sheet PDF's here for those genuinly interested.

All this, being the best screen, best scaler, in a great looking package for $2k. Its an absolute bargain!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the teac hd 42:" is cheap as to $3600, great resolution to! 1024 x 1024

* 106cm (42") 16:9 High Definition Ultra Bright Plasma Display

o 16.77 Million Colours

o Pixel Resolution: 1024 x 1024

o Contrast Ratio: 1000:1

o Brightness: 1100 cd⁄m2

o 160 degree Viewing Angle

o Digital Signal Compatibility: 1080i, 576p, 720p, 480p

o NTSC⁄PAL Video System Supported

o PAL⁄NTSC Progressive Scan

o Multi-Scanning PC Monitor Support up to 1280 x 1024

o Digital Visual Interface (DVI) with HDCP Support

o RS-232 Control Port: RCA-pin Type x 1

o Built in Speaker (5W+5W)

o Detachable AV Box

o Dual HD Component Video Input

o Video Systems: 480i, 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i SDTV ⁄

o DTV ⁄ HDTV, NTSC⁄PAL

o RGB Resolution: Up to 1280 x 1024 (SXGA)

o DVI Input (with HDCP): DVI-D 24-pin x 1

o RGB Input: D-Sub 15-pin x 1

o RGB Output: D-Sub 15-pin x 1·

o Composite Video Input: RCA-pin x 1

o S-Video Input: Mini DIN 4-pin x 1

o Component Video Input: RCA-pin x 2 sets (Y⁄Cb⁄Cr,Y⁄Pb⁄Pr auto detect)

o Audio Input: RCA-pin Type (L⁄R) x 6 sets

o Audio Output: RCA-pin Type (L⁄R) x 1 set

o External Subwoofer Output: RCA-pin Type x 1

o Dimensions W⁄O Stand: 1040 x 648 x 95mm (WxHxD)

o Dimensions With Stand: 1040 x 690 x 288mm (WxHxD)

o Weight: W⁄O Stand – 31.2Kg, With Stand – 35Kg

Contrast Ratio: 1000:1

(The ratio is referring to the HD model)

Am i missing something or is this a misprint. How come the contrast ratio is so much less on the HD model compared to the SD model. SD model records a contrast ratio of 10000:1

I keep seeing the sonic at JB and keep thinking the blacks aint that good at all. new store just opened in the brookvale mall in sydney with new stock. Grey-blacks again (gracks). Some of the the LCDs next to it look better.

I have found the Teac SD480 panels in DSE to be similar. Dont get me wrong, they are good value, and no worse gracks than the trio or TCLs i have seen... but not comparable to the budget brands (cough. LG, samsung, )

The local Powerhouse says that its coming in on the 30/10/2005. He "THINKS" TEAC is extending the warranty promotion (which ended in September) to 5 years but cannot confirm.

Sydney TEAC says one year warranty but unsure who makes the panel. Says it'll be in the stores in early November. Will be interesting compared to the TCL and Soniq. Now that will put the cat among the pigeons in the low budget SD plasma.

The DSE guy also said one of his mate peeked behind the current TEAC HD plasma and saw fuji printed somewhere at the back!!!

Am i missing something or is this a misprint. How come the contrast ratio is so much less on the HD model compared to the SD model. SD model records a contrast ratio of 10000:1

The 1024x1024 panel sounds like the soon to be (if not already) superseded Hitachi panel -

http://aus.hitachi.com.au/hitachi/content/...cts.asp?ID=1668

The 8800 that's coming has a claimed contrast ratio of 3000:1 -

http://www.fujitsu.com/emea/news/pr/fme_20050615.html

I keep seeing the sonic at JB and keep thinking the blacks aint that good at all. new store just opened in the brookvale mall in sydney with new stock. Grey-blacks again (gracks). Some of the the LCDs next to it look better.

I can't only think the settings on the one you are seeing are not right, as I can't stand the poor black levels on most LCD's. My soniq black levels are equal or better to the CRT's I have had...... so, if the black levels on the soniq were only at LCD black levels I would be really, really peeved........but I am very happy with the blacks on my soniq.

Not sure whether my panel/setup just works, or there is something wrong with the panel/ settings on the soniq you have seen...........

cheers

fusion

I think some of you have mistaken this new Teac, with the old one.

This new one will make their now quite old HD model look like ****.

Having seen one working, it is truly exceptional

I KNOW the screen is a Samsung

I KNOW the scaler is the DCDi

Its black levels looked simply, stunning. Put it this way, money no issue, choosing between this and ANY other SD plasma, short of the Panasonics, i'd get this. It is honestly, that good.

Will be very interesting once in stores.

DSE WILL NOT have stock before the 10th November, not a chance.

Doesnt land on Aussie shores till the 29th now, with customs SO far behind from new software they are working at about 20% of their usual turnovers. Meaning a week wait, at least at the docks... Then, shipping to Teac, distrubution to DSE main wharehouse, then to its stores... No WAY before the 10th.

hmmm.. and here's me thinking SD = 1024 x 576

Wait a minute here....you CANNOT compare 576i to 480p.

If you want the correct ratio PROGRESSIVE verses INTERLACED tellies...then consideration of the KELL factor of loss due to interlace/scan line and gain due to progressive (480p) you get roughly 1.5 times 480 which translates to 720i gain in MINIMUM real terms.

Always remember - a plasma DISPLAYS the WHOLE the screen and nothing but the screen ALL AT ONCE. That's why plasma - even 480p can look so good.

A standard TV is a heck much less then 480p in real resolution.

DA

I think some of you have mistaken this new Teac, with the old one.

This new one will make their now quite old HD model look like ****.

Having seen one working, it is truly exceptional

I KNOW the screen is a Samsung

I KNOW the scaler is the DCDi

Its black levels looked simply, stunning. Put it this way, money no issue, choosing between this and ANY other SD plasma, short of the Panasonics, i'd get this. It is honestly, that good.

Will be very interesting once in stores.

DSE WILL NOT have stock before the 10th November, not a chance.

Doesnt land on Aussie shores till the 29th now, with customs SO far behind from new software they are working at about 20% of their usual turnovers. Meaning a week wait, at least at the docks... Then, shipping to Teac, distrubution to DSE main wharehouse, then to its stores... No WAY before the 10th.

Ahh no wonder, i went into DSE yesterday just to have a look at the Teac thinking it was a new model. But it looked like crap. I must've been the older model. Flickering was so bad i couldn't handle it. Hope the new one looks good. Btw, mxlaser, how do you know that the new TEAC is going to be so good quality?

Ahh no wonder, i went into DSE yesterday just to have a look at the Teac thinking it was a new model. But it looked like crap. I must've been the older model. Flickering was so bad i couldn't handle it. Hope the new one looks good. Btw, mxlaser, how do you know that the new TEAC is going to be so good quality?

Because i've seen one running. It would of been perfectly setup mind, but who cares, as thats what it was capable of.

Looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I see this in the latest DSE cat for $3299. Its been a few months since this thread was posted and I was hoping someone could comment on the picture quaility, the use of DVI to HDMI and what its like as a computer screen (is it 1280x1024?)...

If any of you have noticed, DSE have listed on their website, a new Teac SD plasma.

Now, having contacted an old friend at Teac, i have some info for you.

106cm (42") 16:9 SD Plasma Display

DV Input

852 x 480 Pixel Resolution

Contrast Ratio 10000:1

Brightness 1500 cd?m2

160 degrees Viewing Angle

In-built Analogue Tuner

Audio Output Power (7W+ 7W)

Digital Visual Interface (DVI)

16.77 Million Colours

Sleep Timer

Multi-Language OSD

Zoom Function

Video Input?Output

Audio Input?Output

S-Video Input

YPb(Pr)?Cb(Cr) Component Input

RS232C Interface Functionality

VGA Input

PC Audio Input

Headphone Input

Full Function Remote Control

Dimensions (w?o stand): 1242mm(W) x 750mm(H) x 92mm (D)

Dimensions (w? stand): 1242mm(W) x 824mm(H) x 358mm (D)

Weight: 41.5kg

Now, technical. It uses the same Gen8 panel that is found on Samsungs latest offering, and also JB HIFI's Soniq plasma (fantastic black reproduction)

It is coupled with a Genisis 1501 Processor and a DCDi (Practically still the best) Scaler. And i looks **** hot too... Resembling a big like the panasonic plasmas.

I have the manual and tech sheet PDF's here for those genuinly interested.

All this, being the best screen, best scaler, in a great looking package for $2k. Its an absolute bargain!

I see this in the latest DSE cat for $3299. Its been a few months since this thread was posted and I was hoping someone could comment on the picture quaility, the use of DVI to HDMI and what its like as a computer screen (is it 1280x1024?)...

Um this thread is less than two weeks old, and the HD Teac is ****. And the model you quoted was SD and only $1899??

Maybe wrong thread?

Saw the TEAC HD plasma in DSE for about $3299 (manager's special), with the RRP of $3599. I'm not sure whether its the old one with 1024 x 1024 resolution. The PQ looked comparable to the SD surrounding it eg panasonic and samsung. Compared to a few months ago, this time the PQ is much better, not sure whether its because they are using new connections. From memory, the PQ then was atrocious.

They are still waiting for the new SD TEAC. Supposed to arrive on the 30/10/2005. Now says next week. The salesman showed me the computer screen saying they are getting 240-250 into OZ. It also showed a warehouse price of around $1950. I'm not sure whether this is the price they buy from TEAC but I doubt it. I would say the profit margin would be probably more than $500. I asked him about the warranty and he said he heard there might be a special 5 years warranty by TEAC. Said he would check it out (heard from a friend...did he hear it from OCAU?).

Saw the TEAC HD plasma in DSE for about $3299 (manager's special), with the RRP of $3599. I'm not sure whether its the old one with 1024 x 1024 resolution. The PQ looked comparable to the SD surrounding it eg panasonic and samsung. Compared to a few months ago, this time the PQ is much better, not sure whether its because they are using new connections. From memory, the PQ then was atrocious.

They are still waiting for the new SD TEAC. Supposed to arrive on the 30/10/2005. Now says next week. The salesman showed me the computer screen saying they are getting 240-250 into OZ. It also showed a warehouse price of around $1950. I'm not sure whether this is the price they buy from TEAC but I doubt it. I would say the profit margin would be probably more than $500. I asked him about the warranty and he said he heard there might be a special 5 years warranty by TEAC. Said he would check it out (heard from a friend...did he hear it from OCAU?).

Thanks. Yeah well I am leaning towards an LCD for my budget to get 1280/1366 x 788 and an HD capable screen. If this Teac plasma is decent enough and resolves 1280x720 or 1024x1024 or whatever that is at least 720p then it is a contender.

I'll have to hit a DSE soon and compare things...