Panasonic owners of the 42PV500a & 50 inch

Relax and enjoy your TV :blink:

I do at night, but seeing these dents on the best ever plasma Tv kills me.

I have said enough, maybe i should keep my resolution with panasonic quite. Im thinking not......

Yep, they are the dents alright, but can only be seen, like I said before, through certain angles and lighting conditions. But anyway, not a real concern for me. Picture quality is me main concern and it's PHARKING AWESOME!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Panasonic got back to me today telling me that they have taken pictures of the stock where i bought my plasma from and have submitted the findings to quality control in japan. They said it should take about 24 hours to get a response from what i was told. I won't jump to conclusions just yet but i am guessing a major recall but that's my opinion at this stage. They were very careful what they told me but I will admit they have done what they said they will do by keeping me informed of the progress.

palms

Just to keep this post fresh here is my update. Panasonic management contacted me to tell me there is a fault and that my Plasma will be replaced as soon as they get a new shipment in without the indents. The problem was the machines on the factory line were over tightening the bolts on the speaker making the front layer get pulled back making the dents. I am in the hands of another person now and waiting for his response on what action they will be taking regarding my replacement. As soon as i get more info i will post to let the final outcome. Stay tuned.

I guess being an x panel beater has it benifits, repairing hail damage for all those years and spotting a major stuff up, i must admit i can't believe i am the one on many owners who has pick this up as a MAJOR FLAW. Give me a medal :blink:

palms

Just to keep this post fresh here is my update. Panasonic management contacted me to tell me there is a fault and that my Plasma will be replaced as soon as they get a new shipment in without the indents. The problem was the machines on the factory line were over tightening the bolts on the speaker making the front layer get pulled back making the dents. I am in the hands of another person now and waiting for his response on what action they will be taking regarding my replacement. As soon as i get more info i will post to let the final outcome. Stay tuned.

I guess being an x panel beater has it benifits, repairing hail damage for all those years and spotting a major stuff up, i must admit i can't believe i am the one on many owners who has pick this up as a MAJOR FLAW. Give me a medal :blink:

palms

I picked it up on the first day I bought mine, but never considered it to be a major issue, but if it's a fault, then it's a major issue as we are all spending our hard earned $$$$ on these units and they should be received without any faults.

I feel your pain that's why i went the extra mile to find some answers, i will keep you all posted. I will be letting them know of my friends here in this forum even though i really don't know you, i call you friends as i would not have bought this great TV without the help from this forum.I hope to post info for you all to get action like i do.

palms

I feel your pain that's why i went the extra mile to find some answers, i will keep you all posted. I will be letting them know of my friends here in this forum even though i really don't know you, i call you friends as i would not have bought this great TV without the help from this forum.I hope to post info for you all to get action like i do.

palms

I've e-mailed Panasonic tonight letting them know about my unit and the other unit that got replaced had dents on them both. And also now, on the unit that replaced the other unit, I have 8 stuck pixels and it sux.

1st unit was not even 2 weeks old and the unit that I got now is not even 1 week old.

It's a shame that I'm running into bad luck like this, as this model of Plasma has a damn fine picture to it.

Geez what bad luck you've had. Stuck pixels and things a like were never an issue when i bought my fisrt 80cm CRT TX-79p100z years back. Now you have to know the ins and outs of what a tv can and cant do or what not to do with it besides watching the damn thing.

Geez what bad luck you've had. Stuck pixels and things a like were never an issue when i bought my fisrt 80cm CRT TX-79p100z years back. Now you have to know the ins and outs of what a tv can and cant do or what not to do with it besides watching the damn thing.

I got a Panasonic 68CM CRT that's nearly 4 years old. Picture and everything else on it still looks like it was brand new. No problems at all.

Now you have to know all the technicalities. I feel sorry for the people that don't know jack about the technology that there investing in. It's lucky that I have a good eye or good eyes I should say. As I'm in IT (Technical & Sales) and know all the in's & out's.

It's great that you've gone to these lengths to get the issue resolved, and credit goes to Panasonic for offering to replace the panel for what is a relatively small flaw.

On balance though I'm going to keep my pana because the next unit I get might have any number of other problems, and I'm very happy with this one in terms of no pixel problems or other issues :blink:

It's great that you've gone to these lengths to get the issue resolved, and credit goes to Panasonic for offering to replace the panel for what is a relatively small flaw.

To be honest is isn't a minor flaw, they have stated to me it's a major manufacturer problem. When i said i found the issue in all sydney shops they investigated and contacted japan like i said in before posts, this is huge imo. If you own a 42 or 50 inch pana and see these dents start shouting from the roof tops to get it resolve, hey im just the messenger from the know in this case, it's up to you. Just trying to help out, it's your call....

palms

To be honest is isn't a minor flaw, they have stated to me it's a major manufacturer problem. When i said i found the issue in all sydney shops they investigated and contacted japan like i said in before posts, this is huge imo. If you own a 42 or 50 inch pana and see these dents start shouting from the roof tops to get it resolve, hey im just the messenger from the know in this case, it's up to you. Just trying to help out, it's your call....

palms

Oh, good Lord. You can barely see them during the day, not at all at night and they in no way affect the quality of the image. How do these tiny 'dents' affect your viewing pleasure, exactly? If you're too busy worrying about what surrounds the image, rather than the image itself, you're probably better off with a projector and projector screen.

Oh, good Lord.  You can barely see them during the day, not at all at night and they in no way affect the quality of the image.  How do these tiny 'dents' affect your viewing pleasure, exactly? If you're too buys worrying about what surrounds the image, rather than the image itself, you're probably better off with a projector and projector screen.

My main concern is not really the dents. It's the first unit I had, had small dents, but the main concern was the faint line about 2-3cm high and went for the width of the screen. Now I got that unit replaced and the replaced unit has a few dents, but the main concern here is that it has about 8 stuck pixels. I called the store up and they said that they are going to replace it.

Hopefully it will be 3 times a charm. 'cause if not, I will chip in the bit extra while returning the 3rd replaced unit and go for the Pioneer.

Oh, good Lord.  You can barely see them during the day, not at all at night and they in no way affect the quality of the image.  How do these tiny 'dents' affect your viewing pleasure, exactly? If you're too busy worrying about what surrounds the image, rather than the image itself, you're probably better off with a projector and projector screen.

Yeah, but palms does have a point:

http://img462.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dentsonpana31jr.jpg

His second pic is no where near as bad, but the above is pretty disappointing to say the least.

If I had a small dent in my new car from the dealer, it will in no way affect my driving "pleasure", but I'd still be pretty upset. Different story of course if it happened afterwards, but if the dent happened as a manufacturing fault, then I too would look for some resolution.

My main concern is not really the dents. It's the first unit I had, had small dents, but the main concern was the faint line about 2-3cm high and went for the width of the screen. Now I got that unit replaced and the replaced unit has a few dents, but the main concern here is that it has about 8 stuck pixels. I called the store up and they said that they are going to replace it.

Hopefully it will be 3 times a charm. 'cause if not, I will chip in the bit extra while returning the 3rd replaced unit and go for the Pioneer.

Were these brand new units from Panasonic? I'd have a chat with them if that's the case. I think if you have eight(!) stuck pixels, Panasonic should be able to come and replace it at your place.

Jace i am only pointing out the problem, if you want to keep yours with slight dents then that's your decision. For me it's an issue and was told it's a fault so i will now get a new one without the dents. My second pic does not capture how bad it is, i took them in a hurry after someone asked for a pic. Both sides are the same. Guys please don't respond and say it has no effect how the picture looks, i never said anything about a the picture just the dents. I want new plasma that cost $$$$$$ with no scratches, dent or marks on it.

palms

As Palms has mentioned, it is his right not to have any defects with his set. Combined with the other problems you mention palms, it makes sense for you to swap the set.

However you also have to realise that for some of us, this flaw is next to impossible to see - at my place the light comes it at 90 degrees to the set, and neither the daylight or room light show these dents at all at the angles they shine on the set.

So for some us it isn't a big deal, and the hassle of having to wait for a replacement set, having to set it up again, having to do another burn-in cycle etc is not worth it to fix this impercetible flaw.

As I said, it's good to see Panasonic treating this seriously - they obviously have good quality standards and don't like to see them broken.

Guys and gals i have just purchased the 42PV500a and love it but have one problem with it. Both sides on the front where the speakers are i have dents from what i don't know. I remember opening the box when it arrived and screemed ooooo nooooo. In a panic i rang Myers to tell them the problem i had and they said they would get someone to come and look at it. Cut a long story short i went back to Myers and looked at the floor stock of my plasma to find the same issue, then went to JB HIFI and their stock had the same dents in the front and so i went onto another store to find the same again in DSE powerhouse. As i see it all the 42's and 50's have dents in the front speakers. I then ran into a panasonic rep who said it should'nt be like this, so my question is?, Does your 42 or 50 have dents in the side front speakers. I think this is a manufacture problem and are thinking of sending mine back.

palms

What's the update?

I have been waiting for the next in line of command to contact me but he hasn't yet so i have sent an email to remind him. Have been busy with other stuff too so that has got in the way of my reply. Will keep you posted.

palms

• 2 weeks later...