32JW8UA and 36JW9UA

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dicksmith Powerhouse Moorepark has a 32SW9UA for $1133. Saw it yesterday.

I was after the 36 toshi but the wife has taken fancy to the plasma's and decided it is ok to chop up/modify the existing cabinets :blink: to fit. so I am going down that path.

Jim

G'day.

Having looked around on this forum a bit, I decided the "dailydeals" refurbished 36JW9UA was a good bet but was not sure about this "as advertised on TV" and "internet only" company was legit so rang the importer.

2 things:

1) The chap on the phone confirmed that "dailydeals" does sell their units reconditioned.

2) He also mentioned they still had a few new 36JW9UA units in the warehouse and put me onto a local guy who would order one for me (I am in Sydney).

So if you are interested in a reconditioned unit, then www.dailydeals.com.au is legit. If you are interested in a new unit, give Castel a ring on 1300 733 962 and they can refer you to a local who can order one in.

Should be picking mine up on Saturday (with stand thrown in).

Now I just need a HD STB and a DVD with good component output (and would like the DVD to have good error correction). Time for more reading in the other threads.

Regards

Boater

p.s. No I have no relationship with Castel or dailydeals other than wanting to buy something they sell.

• 4 weeks later...

Boater, your post was very topical for me. Daily Deals have been the only place I have seen this TV available. You answered the exact questions that came to mind I when found them on the internet, so thanks!!.

Due to spouse edict, I am restricted to a 82cm wide entertainment unit space. My current 4:3 format TV is slowly dying. I decided I would like to stick with CRT technology and go widescreen. The Toshiba 32" seems to be the only model to fit the bill (and space!). Unfortunately all retailers are removing CRTs which means if I get the Toshiba through DD I will be buying sight unseen - something I thought I would never do!

The only model DD has available is the 32SW8UA. Most posts on this forum relate to the JW9UA.

Can anyone comment on the SW8UA model?

Can anyone comment Daily Deals or buying re-furbished units?

Finally, any updates on the quality/performance issues raised here?

Thanks.

No HDMI = not worth it

How many CRTs have HDMI?

glw

The 32SW8UA is exactly the same as the 32SW9UA except it doesnt have a slot for the memory card and is only a single tuner version of the 9UA. All that means is that it doesnt have a split screen for watching two channels at the same time..which the SW9UA does.

Tube and PQ and elecronics are exactly the same and it is a very stunning PQ with a HD tuner.

Geomotery issues have been a bit too common with all of these models so its pot luck if you get a decent one.

The SWUAs are the original versions, and from what I have read here has had way less issues than the JWUAs.

The only other CRT that comes close to it is the Sony HR (struck match)...but if space and looks is the issue...Tosh 32SW8UA, or 9UA if you can get it.

:D:blink:

The 32SW8UA has a colour misalignment problem when SD is input via component.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...&hl=32sw8ua

http://austech.info/attachment.php?attachm...mp;d=1164887799

Castel are trying to find a fix.

Rievax

I cant see your screenshot so I cant comment if mine does the same. I do know I dont have any PQ problems at all..in fact quite the contrary. A lot of people seem to have rave views on its PQ.

I use component on a 9UA :blink:

Thanks Mello and Rievax, really appreciate your replies.

This decision is really starting to screw with my head. As I mentioned before, this started with my current TV being obviously very ill. A good opportunity to update to the new technology I thought. Restricted to 80cm so Plasma not a consideration and wasn't impressed by LCD, particuarly at the price! Decided to stick with CRT with black blacks, accurate colour and no motion induced distortion/shadow issues. From the posts here, people were finding it hard to find a good selection of CRT TVs last year. Try 6 months later. Unicorns, Dodos and Dinosaurs are more common now!

Here's a tip. If you're ever being bugged by a sales person, tell them you're looking for a widescreen CRT TV - they just disappear!

I heard about the Toshiba and looked it up - the specs and size sounded perfect but couldn't find it in any stores. Finally resorted to considering buying via the internet and came across it at Daily Deals only to find that the only 32 inch model they have is the one with issues. Aagghh!!

Sorry guys, just had to get that out of my system.

So, before I spend money on a TV I've never actually seen which has documented problems, I'll bug you with some more questions before having myself committed for even considering it!

Rievax, in your other posts you mention the colour misalignment (a pretty fundamental problem!!) is present with a SD signal via component. I assume it would also be present with a HD signal and this is an issue associated with the component input rather than signal type? Does your work around totally fix the fault? I'd like to find out from Castel if this is a problem with every single SW8UA or a random selection like the tilt and curve issues. Who did you talk to - the service number on the Castel web site? Choice magazine included this model in a test of widescreen CRTs and made no mention of this. However, they did rate it #8 out of 8!

Mello, you are obviously very familiar with the Toshibas and have made many valuable posts on the subject. I have a DVR (non HD DVD recorder), Receiver, VCR, and will need to purchase a STB (probably HD) with future proofing for 2008+ in mind. I am a newbie to digital TV. Does the following seem reasonable:

Aerial rf to STB (to be purchased) to VCR to DVR to TV.

DVR to Receiver. Receiver (via Component!) to TV.

STB to TV via 2nd component.

VCR not fussed.

I'm in the Melbourne area. Has ANYONE seen a Toshiba anywhere that I can look at? Anyone seen any other 76cm widescreen CRTs? The current LG and Samsung are too wide.

Thanks.

... and I thought this was going to be pretty straight forward before I started!

Thanks Mello and Rievax, really appreciate your replies.

This decision is really starting to screw with my head. As I mentioned before, this started with my current TV being obviously very ill. A good opportunity to update to the new technology I thought. Restricted to 80cm so Plasma not a consideration and wasn't impressed by LCD, particuarly at the price! Decided to stick with CRT with black blacks, accurate colour and no motion induced distortion/shadow issues. From the posts here, people were finding it hard to find a good selection of CRT TVs last year. Try 6 months later. Unicorns, Dodos and Dinosaurs are more common now!

Here's a tip. If you're ever being bugged by a sales person, tell them you're looking for a widescreen CRT TV - they just disappear!

I heard about the Toshiba and looked it up - the specs and size sounded perfect but couldn't find it in any stores. Finally resorted to considering buying via the internet and came across it at Daily Deals only to find that the only 32 inch model they have is the one with issues. Aagghh!!

Sorry guys, just had to get that out of my system.

So, before I spend money on a TV I've never actually seen which has documented problems, I'll bug you with some more questions before having myself committed for even considering it!

Rievax, in your other posts you mention the colour misalignment (a pretty fundamental problem!!) is present with a SD signal via component. I assume it would also be present with a HD signal and this is an issue associated with the component input rather than signal type? Does your work around totally fix the fault? I'd like to find out from Castel if this is a problem with every single SW8UA or a random selection like the tilt and curve issues. Who did you talk to - the service number on the Castel web site? Choice magazine included this model in a test of widescreen CRTs and made no mention of this. However, they did rate it #8 out of 8!

Mello, you are obviously very familiar with the Toshibas and have made many valuable posts on the subject. I have a DVR (non HD DVD recorder), Receiver, VCR, and will need to purchase a STB (probably HD) with future proofing for 2008+ in mind. I am a newbie to digital TV. Does the following seem reasonable:

Aerial rf to STB (to be purchased) to VCR to DVR to TV.

DVR to Receiver. Receiver (via Component!) to TV.

STB to TV via 2nd component.

VCR not fussed.

I'm in the Melbourne area. Has ANYONE seen a Toshiba anywhere that I can look at? Anyone seen any other 76cm widescreen CRTs? The current LG and Samsung are too wide.

Thanks.

... and I thought this was going to be pretty straight forward before I started!

The colour misalignment only applies to SD via component, Hd does not have the problem. The work arround completely corrects the problem by delaying the R-Y signal so that all 3 signals get to the tube at the same time. Its a simple LC delay line I built and inserted in the Pr cable. But has to be removed when watching HD. There is a partial fix for the problem which requires a service agent to change a setting in the service menu. It reduces the R-Y misalignment but also causes the B-Y to be shifted so I had them put it back the way it was.

I had contacted Castel via email and got a call back from a tech. After I reported back that I wasnt satisfied with the partial fix he asked the factory engineers for a better fix. I am waiting to hear back.

Over all I am pleased with the TV's preformance. Its a good stop gap until a flat panel becomes available with acceptable preformance at the right price.

The colour misalignment only applies to SD via component, Hd does not have the problem. The work arround completely corrects the problem by delaying the R-Y signal so that all 3 signals get to the tube at the same time. Its a simple LC delay line I built and inserted in the Pr cable. But has to be removed when watching HD. There is a partial fix for the problem which requires a service agent to change a setting in the service menu. It reduces the R-Y misalignment but also causes the B-Y to be shifted so I had them put it back the way it was.

I had contacted Castel via email and got a call back from a tech. After I reported back that I wasnt satisfied with the partial fix he asked the factory engineers for a better fix. I am waiting to hear back.

Over all I am pleased with the TV's preformance. Its a good stop gap until a flat panel becomes available with acceptable preformance at the right price.

I've never had digital television so I dont have first hand experience with what a HD-STB box does with the various signals, but I would assume the output from a HD box is relative to the input signal.

That is;

HD signal in, HD signal out -> no problem for 32SW8UA

SD signal in, SD signal out -> misaligned colour

So I wouldn't avoid this problem by having a HD STB right? In fact if the above is correct, as most content is still SD I would have misaligned colour most of the time.

What about DVD via component? Does that display OK?

I liked the last sentence of your reply. At least I'm not the only one that thinks flat panels have not passed CRT performance yet while being twice the price.

The problem will show on any 576i source via component. So yes it will apply to DVD players unless a player can output 576p. The same sort of thing also applies to a HD STB. Generally the problem will show on SD channels and not on HD. But if the STB is set to output a resolution other than 576i for the SD channels then no problem. There is one catch though. The TV can only do 100Hz mode when 576i is input. While in 100Hz mode the picture has no scan flicker.

The problem will show on any 576i source via component. So yes it will apply to DVD players unless a player can output 576p. The same sort of thing also applies to a HD STB. Generally the problem will show on SD channels and not on HD. But if the STB is set to output a resolution other than 576i for the SD channels then no problem. There is one catch though. The TV can only do 100Hz mode when 576i is input. While in 100Hz mode the picture has no scan flicker.

What you're saying is if I avoid the problem by using something other than 576i for SD then I may end up with a flickering screen due to the 50/60Hz refresh?

According to the manual my DVD player (Sony RDR-HX710) can output in progressive mode "when connected to a progressive format TV" although the manual doesn't specify the format. Would assume 576p.

Really appreciate all your help.

Thanks.

What you're saying is if I avoid the problem by using something other than 576i for SD then I may end up with a flickering screen due to the 50/60Hz refresh?

Thats right.

According to the manual my DVD player (Sony RDR-HX710) can output in progressive mode "when connected to a progressive format TV" although the manual doesn't specify the format. Would assume 576p.

I dont own one but I'd say its 576 progressive.

A suggestion. If you order the TV it will likely ship direct from Castel, mine did. You could ask them to apply the partial fix. It does make the problem less noticable.

BTW, I had ordered the JW and was sent the SW :blink: The JW is supposed to not have the problem.

When I spoke to Daily Deals yesterday I asked about the JW and they said Castel have none. They also said that the SW would be shipped directly from Castel as per your experience (in about 2 days after the order).

It surprises me that Daily Deals or Castel can sell a TV with an apparently known fault.

Ok, so I'm OK for HD and DVD and I'd assume analogue is unaffected (but then why get a wide screen TV!). I now have a number of work arounds for SD (avoiding 576i, your delay circuit, and elsewhere I read leggoslave used S-Video) none of which are entirely satisfactory considering most broadcasts are SD.

I guess it's time for a reality check and to ask myself do I really think LCD is so bad that I'd work this hard to buy a defective CRT instead?!!

From the pictures I've seen of it I did like the look of the TV and there have been a number of glowing comments about the picture quality of the almost identical JW and 9 models and it was a perfect fit for the space - it's just soooo annoying!

Some final questions before I leave you in peace and it's one I should have asked at the start of all this.

Is the misalignment something you notice only when looking up close with a critical eye?

Or is it bloody obvious even when viewing from my viewing distance of 3 meters?

I think I remember you saying elsewhere it's a shift of around 4mm which sounds pretty dire. Did it look bloody awful? (I'll have to register on Austech info so I can look at your screen shot).

If it's very noticeable, would you still notice it from 3 meters after the Castel psuedo-fix?

Thanks again for your patience and invaluable info. I have rung and emailed Castel and am waiting for someone to get back to me via either technology. If they have any new info to what you've already found out I'll let you know. You never know, a new enquiry on this may help to add a little emphasis to resolve the issue for Castel!

"Is the misalignment something you notice only when looking up close with a critical eye?

Or is it bloody obvious even when viewing from my viewing distance of 3 meters? "

You will see its very obvious in the close up screen shot of a cartoon. I view at about 3 meters. I would say its easy to notice when looking for it. Doesnt really jump out at you while casually viewing. Mainly on scenes that contain flat areas of sharply defined red or green colour, eg cartoons. It will also show as a thin desaturated strip down the RH side of faces.

"If it's very noticeable, would you still notice it from 3 meters after the Castel psuedo-fix?"

You would have to look very carefully to notice. But it still bugged me considering that the manufacturers of even low end TVs can get the timing right.

"Thanks again for your patience and invaluable info. I have rung and emailed Castel and am waiting for someone to get back to me via either technology. If they have any new info to what you've already found out I'll let you know. You never know, a new enquiry on this may help to add a little emphasis to resolve the issue for Castel!"

Yes, good idea. I suspect my enquiry may have stalled. :blink: