Panasonic commercial panels

Geeez, I can't resist playing with new toys and my wallet.

I went through my cable box, and I have a 3m bundle of RGBHV RCA cable that I made up some time ago in anticipation of a HDTV ( Belden 1694a + Canare RCAs).

So.. I ordered the RGBHV BNC board for the 8WK ( since the DVI board is out of stock atm ).

Will be interesting to get a DVI board later and compare the results :blink::P :P

I decided that's a more elegant and robust solution than a VGA DB-15 cable.

What price were you given for the bnc board?....I know it's expensive but from what I've read it should be well worth it. I'd be interested in a quick comparison with the hd15 port once you have it set up.

skinxbwau,

Panasonic Australia would have no idea when the 9th gen. commercial panel would be available here. They are due in the US in about 4 to 5 months which is typical of when each new model is released each year. We always get the new commercial range released here early in the new year.

Moochy has posted while I was typing this. I personally don't believe in extended warranty on products that have their prices heading south so quickly. $400 to $500 now could be be 25-30% of your upgrade costs in 2-3 years time

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you see that Andrew?

I have decided on getting a commercial panasonic panel, but I don't know if I should wait for the 9th gen or not. I may send Panasonic an email to see if they have a release date. I reckon the price would be very similar to the current 8th gen commercial.

Anything you buy on a gold VISA or AMEX has a 90 day "you stuffed up big time" :blink: insurance cover, plus 1 year added onto the manufacturer's warranty (covered by the card scheme's insurance). On the PV60 you'll get 1+1, but on the commercial panel it's 2+1 :P. Also if the extended 5 year on the 8WK is $800 that is 1/2 price of consumer plasma 5 year from Panasonic.

From what I've read expect a release date in the US on the new panels around 3Q with Australia getting supply sometime in 4Q-1Q07. I think the 8Gen Panels ( at least the 50" ) was released in Aus around the end of 05, so it give you some idea that you may end up waiting a while.]

Cummo, the board cost same as the DVI board (out of stock until June). I decided to just go analog - if I don't like the results I'll see if I can return it.

I can't access those forums for some reason, what info does it cover?

Can someone please explain what 'upgrade' options I could have with this panel over say a 5 year period?

I can't access those forums for some reason, what info does it cover?

Can someone please explain what 'upgrade' options I could have with this panel over say a 5 year period?

Suggest you sign up and spend a good deal of time reading avsforum.com, avforum.com

Look up the AVSForum.com for the DVDO VP30, Lumagen HD and Crystalio scalers.

When you got a couple of grand or three you can upgrade your 8WK to one killer display.

skinxbwau,

Ring Panasonic or Rexel (02) 9887 6222 and find out who is your nearest supplier. Quote the best price you've found and ask them to match or better it. Negotiate the price of your blade requirements in the price. Rexel should be able to provide you with the RRP of the blades.

BTW, remember that the vga port can be used as a pc input, rgbhv input or component input.

There currently isn't any stock of the DVI or HDMI boards in Australia apparently. I called Rexel; the DVI boards are due in June, and HDMI in July.

I have a HDMI board on backorder from them but if anyone knows any other place to get one sooner, and for a good price, I'd be very interested!

Both my DVD player and STB use DVI. Would I be better off getting a DVI blade or waiting for the HDMI blade? Nothing I own currently uses HDMI but I understand you can connect one to the other.

Both my DVD player and STB use DVI. Would I be better off getting a DVI blade or waiting for the HDMI blade? Nothing I own currently uses HDMI but I understand you can connect one to the other.

Short term, I'd use the vga port for your STB (providing it outputs rgb). The Panasonics provide a very good picture via rgbhv.

The dvi blade provides the same video specs as the hdmi blade without carrying the sound. It costs a bit more but has the added advantage of being able to connect to a computer and obtain the panels native resolution at 60hz.

Is the fact that the HDMI blade is HDMI v1.1 an issue? Would it then be better to get DVI? I will only be using the connection for video, no audio.

Is the fact that the HDMI blade is HDMI v1.1 an issue? Would it then be better to get DVI? I will only be using the connection for video, no audio.

As a minimum you want an HDMI v1.1 blade as the 1.1 spec incorporate support for switching. This is a "good" thing not an issue.

Both HDMI and DVI support digitial video. As to which is better ...depends on your source devices (although converters exist).

That's my point. Should I go with DVI as it will then be DVI (source) to DVI (TV) or go HDMI (as most new devices support this) and just use DVI-to-HDMI cables? I'm leaning towards option number two.

That's my point. Should I go with DVI as it will then be DVI (source) to DVI (TV) or go HDMI (as most new devices support this) and just use DVI-to-HDMI cables? I'm leaning towards option number two.
My understanding is that the only difference between DVI and HDMI is that the latter carries the sound as well as the video. If it's not carrying sound DVI should be fine (IMO). And even if it's not I suspect that would be fine.

Decision for 8WK on DVI or HDMI is as follows ( according to current net wisdom )

1. Buy a DVI if you EVER want to buy a scaler like a VP30 because that and the Analog RGBHV are the only ways you can currently drive the panel properly for external scaling and get the right results

2. The Panasonic DVI still supports HDCP so HDMI to DVI *should* work ( depending on HDCP silliness )

3. HDMI on the Panasonic 8HM blade performs much better for PAL/50Hz HDTV resolutions - don't think you can buy the 7HM blade in Australia but don't buy one !

So #1 DVI #2 HDMI..

Now the only reason why you'd want HDMI is it can do 10-bit digital component vs. 8-bit RGB. This would technically a superior picture due to the way your eye processes colour and luminance. BUT given the difference between using DVI at Native Rate and HDMI at some other non-optimal resolution, IMHO buy the DVI.

PS. Don't seem to be any around in Oz. Cost local is around $280-300 mark. US prices are around US$140. Go figure !

Decision for 8WK on DVI or HDMI is as follows ( according to current net wisdom )

1. Buy a DVI if you EVER want to buy a scaler like a VP30 because that and the Analog RGBHV are the only ways you can currently drive the panel properly for external scaling and get the right results

2. The Panasonic DVI still supports HDCP so HDMI to DVI *should* work ( depending on HDCP silliness )

3. HDMI on the Panasonic 8HM blade performs much better for PAL/50Hz HDTV resolutions - don't think you can buy the 7HM blade in Australia but don't buy one !

So #1 DVI #2 HDMI..

Now the only reason why you'd want HDMI is it can do 10-bit digital component vs. 8-bit RGB. This would technically a superior picture due to the way your eye processes colour and luminance. BUT given the difference between using DVI at Native Rate and HDMI at some other non-optimal resolution, IMHO buy the DVI.

PS. Don't seem to be any around in Oz. Cost local is around $280-300 mark. US prices are around US$140. Go figure !

1. If I ever bought a scaler it would probably be a Calibre Vantage HD (costs more than the Plasma!) and it uses HDMI not DVI.

2. Yep

3. Well I will be watching PAL/50Hz most of the time.

So even though you recommended the DVI blade, I think you actually just convinced me to get the HDMI blade. :blink:

Cheers. :P

1. If I ever bought a scaler it would probably be a Calibre Vantage HD (costs more than the Plasma!) and it uses HDMI not DVI.

2. Yep

3. Well I will be watching PAL/50Hz most of the time.

So even though you recommended the DVI blade, I think you actually just convinced me to get the HDMI blade. :blink:

Cheers. :P

1. You should be able to use a DVI to HDMI cable / adaptor to connect the HD to the Plasma

2. If you buy the HDMI blade, you might as well buy something that costs 1/2 price of your Vantage HD because you're not going to get native rate, therefore wasting your time if you're expecting the same quality of image as the panel with DVI or RGBHV native rate.

This is why for the time being I am using RGBHV analog ( via the BNC board) with my VP30. I can get 50/60Hz 1366x768 without giving much away to DVI / HDMI. If Panasonic release a NR HDMI board in the future, I'll upgrade to that. For the time being I don't have any HDCP sources so I don't need DVI / HDMI.

1. You should be able to use a DVI to HDMI cable / adaptor to connect the HD to the Plasma

2. If you buy the HDMI blade, you might as well buy something that costs 1/2 price of your Vantage HD because you're not going to get native rate, therefore wasting your time if you're expecting the same quality of image as the panel with DVI or RGBHV native rate.

This is why for the time being I am using RGBHV analog ( via the BNC board) with my VP30. I can get 50/60Hz 1366x768 without giving much away to DVI / HDMI. If Panasonic release a NR HDMI board in the future, I'll upgrade to that. For the time being I don't have any HDCP sources so I don't need DVI / HDMI.

Andrew,

Have you had time to compare the PQ of the bnc blade to the vga port. I'm finding the vga connection so close to the sharpness of the dvi blade that I am considering cancelling the bnc blade that I've ordered.

I don't have a VGA to BNC breakout cable and won't get one. So that test will need a donor to lend me theirs.

I'm using Belden 1694A BNC cables with the plasma from day 1, so that's as good as it gets really.

I have had a minor setback with the plasma. Got smashed en route to the local rep !

I did ask them for photos of the ensuing finger pointing with their trucking company but they're just getting me another one.

Sigh. Another week to wait.

If you buy the HDMI blade, you might as well buy something that costs 1/2 price of your Vantage HD because you're not going to get native rate, therefore wasting your time if you're expecting the same quality of image as the panel with DVI or RGBHV native rate.

Andrew, can you please explain this comment? What do you mean by native rate? Do you mean native res or are you talking about 50 or 60 Hz?

If you read all the info at AVSForum ( search for Native Rate) .. you will understand what I am saying.

Native rate & Native resolution are more or less the same thing. Native rate describes the frequency and signal timing parameters required to drive Native Resolution (1366x768) at a certain scan rate eg. 50Hz or 60Hz.

The HDMI blade from Panasonic doesn't support native rate / native resolution ! only 576p/720p/1080i

The DVI blade supports all of those plus 1366x768 @ 60Hz

The RGBHV (be it via the VGA DB15 connector or the preferred BNC connectors) supports all of those plus 1366x768 @ 50Hz ( I am told by Stoomonster in the UK)

Hahaha.. 1 thing to make you change your mind again :blink:

Nah just kidding. DVI will support all the resolutions and scan rates you will need for 50/60Hz VIDEO signals, and support 60Hz NATIVE RATE 1366x768 signals. It will also support your HDCP input devices like HD-DVD, upscaling DVD players and STBs. It will also accept signals from most HDMI devices since HDMI is a superset of DVI.

The HDMI board will only support 50/60Hz VIDEO signals and is fine if you never want that upgrade path in the future with an external scaler.

Cool. Decision made then.

In approx three weeks I will be buying a TH-50PHD8WK, pedestal stand, component board and will order a DVI blade.

Phew! I'm glad that's over. :blink:

Cool. Decision made then.

In approx three weeks I will be buying a TH-50PHD8WK, pedestal stand, component board and will order a DVI blade.

Phew! I'm glad that's over. :blink:

Warranty? Price?