Sign in to follow this  
cummo

Panasonic commercial panels

Basically it's a great display for someone that already has a STB/HTPC, receiver and speakers, and wants a great looking, no fuss monitor/panel.

These panels go really well with a HTPC running RGB out.

Downloaded your link but it shows RGB at 60Hz and not 50Hz? Will this be the case?

Downloaded your link but it shows RGB at 60Hz and not 50Hz? Will this be the case?

RGB definitely is supported at 50hz at native resolution. There's a large thread at www.avforums.com (the UK equivalent of AVSforums.com) detailing what rates you can get.

The only thing you can't get is native res, at 50hz through either DVI or HDMI. Which kinda sucks.

VGA in is ok though. (RGB)

The only thing you can't get is native res, at 50hz through either DVI or HDMI.  Which kinda sucks.

Is this the same as the virea 8series panel?

Is this the same as the virea 8series panel?

Same series, yes, but there are some minor differences.

Price point is lower too, although you can end up back up if you add speakers, stand, etc.

Caillin

I assume you're referring to the RRP price point - with the Viera 500A street price around $3850 I'm going to have to work hard on the aesthetics argument to convince the CFO... :blink:

Kent

PS. Is it only me that finds the Viera surround unecessary and ugly?

I am new to this site and new to plasma. I have been viewing the threads on the new Pana and upcoming Pioneer with allot of interest as I am buying a 50" soon and want to make the best decision possible.

Firstly I would like to thank you all out there as I have picked up allot of good points and at times has made me unsure of what I should invest my hard earned money in.

AFTER READING THIS THREAD, SHOULD I CONSIDER THE COMMERCIAL VERSION OF THE 50" PANA. IN SHORT I AM A HOME USER AND AM STARTING FROM SCRATCH WITH MY HOME ENT SYSTEM WITH THE PLASMA BEING THE FIRST PURCHASE. I PLAN ON PACKAGING THE MAJORITY OF THE REST OF THE COMPONENTS THAT I NEED AT THE SAME TIME. I HAVE LOOKED AT THE PACKAGE THAT YOU CAN BUY AT GOOD GUYS WITH THE 50", 200 GIG DVD PLAYER AND THE RECEIVER/SPEAKER PACK. THEN ADD ON A HDSTB. I HAVE NOT DECIDED IF I WILL MOUNT IT ON THE WALL OR ON A ENT UNIT.

MY MAIN USES ARE: WATCHING TV, DVD'S, PS 2/3, AT A LATER STAGE I MAY WISH TO CONECT A LAP TOP TO IT.

IS THE COMMERCIAL VERSION FOR ME OR SHOULD I GET ONTO THE SERIES 7 THAT ARE GETTING CHEAPER AND CHEAPER ?

THIS IS A GREAT BB AND THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE PROVIDED INFO TO MAKE MY DECISION WELL BETTER.

X MAN

First, welcome to the board.

Second, please don't use all CAPS for your typing as it's considered shouting on forum boards. (plus it's hard to read!)

To answer your question, you really need to weigh up what features you need in a plasma and come to your own conclusion whether the commercial panel is a good purchasing decision.

If you don't need speakers or a built in tuner, and are looking for just a "monitor", meaning just a display relying on other devices, then the commercial panel would seem like the way to go.

Asthetically they are quite a bit different, and while I don't find the Viera ugly in the slightest, I definitely prefer the slimmer more discrete bezel/surround of the commercial panels.

I believe if you do wall mount the panel that the commercial has different types of mounts that might be more flexible in your mounting options.

All this is rather moot at the moment though until we can get a firm idea of what the prices are like compared to the current consumer models. It may be that the commercial panels are not priced as agressively as the consumer models from market considerations. Although judging by how low the prices are for this panel in the states and UK, and how much they continue to fall, I believe they should be very attractively priced.

Friend in Sydney reckons he's seen the new TEAC at DSE today

Yeah, I'm still hanging to find out what price these panels will hit considering the excellent prices of the consumer model.

What they can't do is display native 1:1 pixel mapping at 50hz via DVI or HDMI.

They can only do this at 60hz. Panasonic still haven't realised that some of us in the rest of the world like to use HTPC's...

What they can't do is display native 1:1 pixel mapping at 50hz via DVI or HDMI.

They can only do this at 60hz.  Panasonic still haven't realised that some of us in the rest of the world like to use HTPC's...

So how ho you output from a pc dvi source what resolution and hertz do you select?

Well, if you are playing a 50hz PAL DVD from your HTPC via DVI or HDMI, then your going to have to put up with a slight amount of judder from the 3:2 pulldown.

For HTPC use, your better off using the 15Pin RGB input. There is no discernable quality difference between this input and the digital connections according to the guys on www.avforums.com (the UK version of AVS).

Hi Guys,

There is still no release date for these.  Panasonic and their distributors that we buy through are pretty tight lipped about them, the brochure that has been posted is the only info I have.

ETA from what i can assertain at this stage is by 3rd week of Nov.

Will keep you guys up to date, i know we are hanging for them as they will only be an improvement on the PHD7 models which were/are bloody good in thier own right

Will also offer a group buy to DBA Forum members when it finally gets released...

I'd be interested in getting a gen 8 plasmsa if a good price was sourced through this site.

How do I make sure I don't miss out when it comes up

I'd be interested in getting a gen 8 plasmsa if a good price was sourced through this site.

How do I make sure I don't miss out when it comes up

Yeah Yeah - still un in the air over Panasonic/Pioneer, maybe if I save a a little on the Panasonic it will give me more to spend elsewhere.

I am down for a collective bargining power, let the good times roll. :blink:

Yeah Yeah - still un in the air over Panasonic/Pioneer, maybe if I save a a little on the Panasonic it will give me more to spend elsewhere.

I am down for a collective bargining power, let the good times roll. :blink:

I'm keen for the 50inch panasonic if the price is right

The existing blades range from around $160 for component through to $350 for dvi/hdmi. The scart blades are a big improvement over the 7 series panels and a good option for foxtel if you're not using a scaler. The dvi and hdmi blades have full 50hz support but unfortunately like the Fuji have no 50hz. pixel mapping. So far 1:1 mapping has only been achieved at 60hz over dvi & hdmi and at 50 via the vga port.

HDMI Terminal Board TY-FB7HM is version 1.1 and not HDCP compatible.

Any other implications of the blade not being HDMI 1.2 ?

http://panasonic.com.au/content/library/files/F001150.pdf

One of the possible advantages that I see in commercial Panny panels is that someone in China might eventually start making hacked HDMI blades that circumvent the HDCP restrictions on HD input/output (1080i).

Someone can actually read this and start up a business :blink:

HDMI Terminal Board TY-FB7HM is version 1.1 and not HDCP compatible.

Any other implications of the blade not being HDMI 1.2 ?

http://panasonic.com.au/content/library/files/F001150.pdf

I'm not so sure that your statement is correct - but I am trying to 'prove' this.

The HDMI 1.1 standard should support HDCP (although I cant work out if that means it is more likley to have idiosyncratic problems handshaking with particular devices). The HDMI 1.1 specifications do talk aboout HDCP. From what I have read, HDMI 1.1 supports HDCP 1.1.

The fact that the DVI blade is HDCP compliant would tend to support this.

At lease with the new blades, as HDMI 1.2 or 1.3 (or 1.x) comes out, there is some hope of upgrading the input - unlike with most plasmas that the user is just stuck with.

J.

Is the brochure that was linked to earlier an Australian one?

ie are the Australian model numbers the same?

The 7 series was 50PHD7WK in Australia

Thus is the 8 series 50PHD8WK or 50PHD8EK?

J.

I presume there is no new news