Panasonic commercial panels

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
HDMI Terminal Board TY-FB7HM is version 1.1 and not HDCP compatible.

Any other implications of the blade not being HDMI 1.2 ?

http://panasonic.com.au/content/library/files/F001150.pdf

Sorry for cross posting here. I did a search on the model number and did not come up with any discussions. Hey Moochy, you should have told me off! :blink:

Makes me wonder even more about the search engine. I am now subscribed to this thread.

Edited by Lyle

To my knowledge the SD series 8 has composite/svideo input only.The component input module is an

extra cost.

Was in my local Rexel (Electrical Contractor's Suppliers) this morning and saw a TH-42PWD7W(K) sitting on the floor gathering dust, $2799 + GST. Included stand and (detachable) speakers. Featured "liquid cooling!" Manager said Rexel "brought in a container load of them". Might be some cheap ones going once the new model hits town.

Thought it a strange thing to be being sold amongst all that electrical cable, switches and power points. Physically, a very nice looking panel though.

• 2 weeks later...
Was in my local Rexel (Electrical Contractor's Suppliers) this morning and saw a TH-42PWD7W(K) sitting on the floor gathering dust, $2799 + GST. Included stand and (detachable) speakers. Featured "liquid cooling!" Manager said Rexel "brought in a container load of them". Might be some cheap ones going once the new model hits town.
That is a VERY GOOD price indeed.

I wouldn't consider that to be be a good price.

Panasonic's site have the G8 model:

42 inch (106cm) SD Plasma Black [Model No: TH-42PWD8WK]

RRP: $2,999 [GST Inc.]

No speakers of course and I don't know if the pedestal stand is extra.

That's the SD model. I was saying that was a good price for the HD. Yes I recognise it is 8th gen. And yes the pedastal stand and speakers are usually extra. Edited by Lyle

I wouldn't consider that to be be a good price.

Panasonic's site have the G8 model:

42 inch (106cm) SD Plasma Black [Model No: TH-42PWD8WK]

RRP: $2,999 [GST Inc.]

No speakers of course and I don't know if the pedestal stand is extra.

The G8 SD panel is presently listed on ebay with a buy-now price of $2388 including stand.

The panel at Rexel is also an SD model, so probably not such a good price.

• 2 weeks later...

And here it is:

50 inch (127cm) HD Plasma Black [Model No: TH-50PHD8WK]

RRP: $6,399 [GST Inc.]

http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=3146

Bummer.... I just checked the manual, and it doesn't do it's native res (1366 x 768) at 50Hz, only 60Hz. This is bad news for those with an external video processor like the VP30. Big Marcelo will be very dissapointed when he reads this.

I had high hopes for this panel as it has undoubtedly the best glass in the business, and being a commercial model, I was hoping that it would be able to do its native resolution at 50Hz like the Pioneer Commercial panel.

The only hope now is if one of the optional blades like HDMI or DVI will do it, their processing could be a little bit different. :fingers crossed:

Bummer.... I just checked the manual, and it doesn't do it's native res (1366 x 768) at 50Hz, only 60Hz. This is bad news for those with an external video processor like the VP30. Big Marcelo will be very dissapointed when he reads this.

I had high hopes for this panel as it has undoubtedly the best glass in the business, and being a commercial model, I was hoping that it would be able to do its native resolution at 50Hz like the Pioneer Commercial panel.

The only hope now is if one of the optional blades like HDMI or DVI will do it, their processing could be a little bit different. :fingers crossed:

Hey Foggy, I already said this back at the beginning of the thread :blink:

I must admit, I'm not overly happy about Panasonic's pricing of the commercial panel. I mean only $200 discount???

I was hoping there'd be at least a $1000 RRP difference between the fully featured Viera and the stripped back commercial screen.

*sigh*

ARGHHHHH just read it!!!! :blink:

I was counting on it... great price too for a 50" ...... I'm getting p*ssed off at this .... how hard is it to do native at 50hz?????????

All my hopes are now on the new pio pro.... but they are expensive... and hard to find... and in the process you may get your car keyed....

I might just give up and get a NEC and send 720p via the VP30 ..... its just getting all too complicated now...

(you can feel the frustration in my words..... as I have been fiddling with my home PC tonight... my motherboard bios flash update went very badly.... can't recognise ANY of my HDDs now... it makes any recovery software pretty useless... arghhhhhhh) ... better go to bed before I do more damage on other electrical appliance in the house... this laptop included!!! Good night... and good luck! (thanks George).

Hey Foggy, I already said this back at the beginning of the thread :P

I must admit, I'm not overly happy about Panasonic's pricing of the commercial panel. I mean only $200 discount???

I was hoping there'd be at least a $1000 RRP difference between the fully featured Viera and the stripped back commercial screen.

*sigh*

Sorry about that chief :blink:

Yeah, the pricing is dissapointing, but there sure are a hell of a lot of configuration options there in the menus.

It has been said many times on avforums that a 50hz pixel matched phd8 via rgb looks just as good as a 60hz match via dvi, some even preferring the analogue picture. I'm aware of the hdcp problems with this setup, so it would mean using a hdcp stripper, 720p with an hdmi blade or accepting the judder over the dvi hdcp compatible blade.

The commercial units are not stripped down Vierras. It was mentioned by Gordon (professional calibrator) on avforums recently that they have better processing and as often stated, better controls for achieving a pixel match or for professional calibration. The 50" model has had an almost trouble free run over the last 3 to 4 months on avforums. The image retention problems on some Vierras doesn't seem to effect the phd range.

The first of the 50" phd8 has appeared on Ebay with a buy-now price of $5199. This includes a 2 year warranty but not the $200 table stand. I believe that this is a good introductory price and as they begin to circulate, that should go sub $5k quickly.

At the moment, this appears to be the best plasma panel available in Aus to use with a htpc or external video processor.

It has been said many times on avforums that a 50hz pixel matched phd8 via rgb looks just as good as a 60hz match via dvi, some even preferring the analogue picture. I'm aware of the hdcp problems with this setup, so it would mean using a hdcp stripper, 720p with an hdmi blade or accepting the judder over the dvi hdcp compatible blade.

The commercial units are not stripped down Vierras. It was mentioned by Gordon (professional calibrator) on avforums recently that they have better processing and as often stated, better controls for achieving a pixel match or for professional calibration. The 50" model has had an almost trouble free run over the last 3 to 4 months on avforums. The image retention problems on some Vierras doesn't seem to effect the phd range.

The first of the 50" phd8 has appeared on Ebay with a buy-now price of $5199. This includes a 2 year warranty but not the $200 table stand. I believe that this is a good introductory price and as they begin to circulate, that should go sub $5k quickly.

At the moment, this appears to be the best plasma panel available in Aus to use with a htpc or external video processor.

Sorry, I didn't really mean stripped down. I have read the whole thread on AVS on these screens. I'm more miffed that the price difference between the consumer and commerical panel in Europe and in the US is much, much greater than what they are here. When things like that happen, you know it's not because of the technology in the panel, it's due to marketing/political reasons.

But like you said, I hope we see the price come down on the 50" in the next few months.

It is also worth highlighting what you said about 50hz. It does indeed work perfectly through the RGB/VGA connection, it's only the DVI/HDMI connections that can't do native resolution at 50hz, only 60hz.

The first of the 50" phd8 has appeared on Ebay with a buy-now price of $5199. This includes a 2 year warranty but not the $200 table stand. I believe that this is a good introductory price and as they begin to circulate, that should go sub $5k quickly

my stand to suit the 50" model is still availible!

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=31554

cheers mike