Panasonic commercial panels

Today I rang the commercial branch of Panasonic to find out an e.t.a. for the series 8 commercial panels. I half expected to be told that they didn't know but was pleasantly surpised to find out that they are expected soon. They should also have a lower r.r.p. than the present series 7 panels. The 50" phd7 can be purchased for around $5800 at the moment, so it would be nice to pick up 50" phd8 for around $5500. Reading reports on the US and UK forums, this is a panel that rivals the Fuji for PQ. Adding to that the rather pleasant charcoal frame (if we get it here) and the choice of input blades from scart through to dvi/hdmi, should make it great panel and a good companion for a Lumagen/Iscan scaler.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I rang the commercial branch of Panasonic to find out an e.t.a. for the series 8 commercial panels. I half expected to be told that they didn't know but was pleasantly surpised to find out that they are expected soon. They should also have a lower r.r.p. than the present series 7 panels. The 50" phd7 can be purchased for around $5800 at the moment, so it would be nice to pick up 50" phd8 for around $5500. Reading reports on the US and UK forums, this is a panel that rivals the Fuji for PQ. Adding to that the rather pleasant charcoal frame (if we get it here) and the choice of input blades from scart through to dvi/hdmi, should make it great panel and a good companion for a Lumagen/Iscan scaler.

very interesting, would like to see these in action if/when they arrive.. "soon" is always a very sketchy ETA :blink:

I wonder also how long it would take other panel vendors to incorporate the next gen of Pana glass into their offerings (eg Fuji using pana glass on current 50" models)...

cheers :P

Well Cummo its up to you bud. You should buy one and let us all know how it goes against your current plasma.

Well Cummo its up to you bud. You should buy one and let us all know how it goes against your current plasma.

Yep....hope to see one in the Chrismas stocking Angelo. I've sat on the fence too long thinking about the 50" Fuji, this one might tempt me to let a few moths out of the wallet.

Cummo

No fair - having ditched my original NEC thoughts for a Fuji (PQ) or a Pana 500A (price/PQ), this is now pushign me back towards the Pana, and delaying my choice!

Much prefer the commercial look of the charcoal bezel to the silver (Fuji) or glitzy black (500A).

If only the prices are right and some deals can be done.....

kent

They should also have a lower r.r.p. than the present series 7 panels. The 50" phd7 can be purchased for around $5800 at the moment, so it would be nice to pick up 50" phd8 for around $5500.

Just because you can get the 7G for $5,800 doesn't automatically mean you can get the 8G for less. Don't forget it's the RRP you need to look at!

Just because you can get the 7G for $5,800 doesn't automatically mean you can get the 8G for less. Don't forget it's the RRP you need to look at!

The price reduction was implied by the fellow I spoke to. It stands to reason, if the r.r.p. is lower and the retailers margins are similar for each model, then the final price should be lower. The only exception to this would be if there was excess stock of the 7 series and these had special pricing to get rid of them. The way these have been flogged off on ebay lately, this is probably not the case. Also, forum members are picking up the 50" pv500 for mid 5's, so you'd expect to see the commercial panels at around the same price.

The price reduction was implied by the fellow I spoke to. It stands to reason, if the r.r.p. is lower and  the retailers margins are similar for each model, then the final price should be lower. The only exception to this would be if there was excess stock of the 7 series and these had special pricing to get rid of them. The way these have been flogged off on ebay lately, this is probably not the case. Also, forum members are picking up the 50" pv500 for mid 5's, so you'd expect to see the commercial panels at around the same price.

Hey cummo, did they mention the prices of the "blades"?

I have a feeling these panels will really rock when coupled with a scaler as the Brits like to do.

I have a feeling these panels will really rock when coupled with a scaler as the Brits like to do.

the black/charcoal would also suit my environment better..... can't wait for the comparisson of the fuji/pana/pio with the DVDO VP30 .....

I don't have the cash for a plasma for a while... so seat back, relax and read the reviews...... :blink:

The existing blades range from around $160 for component through to $350 for dvi/hdmi. The scart blades are a big improvement over the 7 series panels and a good option for foxtel if you're not using a scaler. The dvi and hdmi blades have full 50hz support but unfortunately like the Fuji have no 50hz. pixel mapping. So far 1:1 mapping has only been achieved at 60hz over dvi & hdmi and at 50 via the vga port.

The existing blades range from around $160 for component through to $350 for dvi/hdmi. The scart blades are a big improvement over the 7 series panels and a good option for foxtel if you're not using a scaler. The dvi and hdmi blades have full 50hz support but unfortunately like the Fuji have no 50hz. pixel mapping. So far 1:1 mapping has only been achieved at 60hz over dvi & hdmi and at 50 via the vga port.

Thanks for the info cummo. The price of those blades aren't as steep as I expected. I like the flexibility of being ables to have your weapon (or connection) of choice.

It's a shame about that 50Hz 1:1 mapping, you would think that after all this time, one of the manufacturers would have sorted it out.

Good work Cummo!! I was wondering when these were going to be coming out. I'm trying to decide whether to go for the 50PHD8 or wait for the Lcos sets. I know the Pana is going to work out a lot cheaper.

Also... shame about the 1:1 at 50mhz. I read that it didn't do it over digital connection either on the UK AVforums site.

This looks to be a killer display to hook up a HTPC too. By all accounts the panasonic VGA input is every bit as good as the HDMI/DVI inputs, so the only thing you'll be missing out on for 1:1 is if you need to pass through an encrypted digital signal through HDCP from any upcoming compliant HD players.

$5,500 for a great quality 50"????? that sounds like a goer for me...... specially coupled with a DVDO scaler.... nice, nice, nice.... :blink::P

I want to see it when its out...

Yeah definitely. For those of us that already have receivers and a speaker system and a HTPC/Set top box and don't need an inbuilt tuner, the commerical Pana's are the way to go.

I really really like the simple thin bezel. Makes the screen look bigger when the surround is smaller.

I've got the 8Series commercial PDF brochure if anybody wants a copy.

Hi Guys,

There is still no release date for these. Panasonic and their distributors that we buy through are pretty tight lipped about them, the brochure that has been posted is the only info I have.

ETA from what i can assertain at this stage is by 3rd week of Nov.

Will keep you guys up to date, i know we are hanging for them as they will only be an improvement on the PHD7 models which were/are bloody good in thier own right

Will also offer a group buy to DBA Forum members when it finally gets released...

Hi Guys,

There is still no release date for these.  Panasonic and their distributors that we buy through are pretty tight lipped about them, the brochure that has been posted is the only info I have.

ETA from what i can assertain at this stage is by 3rd week of Nov.

Will keep you guys up to date, i know we are hanging for them as they will only be an improvement on the PHD7 models which were/are bloody good in thier own right

Will also offer a group buy to DBA Forum members when it finally gets released...

Good work bb. Keep us posted if you learn anything.

This might sound like a stupid question but what is the difference between the viera and the commercial panasonic plasma's.

* Thin black bezel (and silver I believe)

* More adjustment settings

* No integrated speakers or tuner or stand

* Swappable input blades to configure your inputs that you want

Basically it's a great display for someone that already has a STB/HTPC, receiver and speakers, and wants a great looking, no fuss monitor/panel.

These panels go really well with a HTPC running RGB out.

There are several more mounting options for the commercial panels as well (like ceiling mount). You can still get speakers as add-on items.

Click to download the brochure that I posted earlier up the thread.