Sign in to follow this  
carpy

Promax TV Explorer

My First Post.

I purchased a TV Explorer approx 1 month ago. After struggling a little with the limited info that comes in the instruction book supplied, i have since spent alot of time getting to know this meter and wish to share my unbiased opinions regarding this meter.

* The meter is indeed a TV explorer but you should realise that it is not actually a SAT TV explorer. If you press and hold the EXPLORER button when connected to a terrestrial antenna it will indeed search all channels from 0 - 69 and list / display all analogue and digital channels. If you press the EXPLORER button when connected to a sat antenna the meter will only search against pre defined satellites / transponders that have already been stored in it's memory using "channel mapping software" not supplied with the unit. I purchased the unit from an authorised Australian dealer and it has the latest version 4.00 firmware which only contains OPT B3, OPT B1, OPT C1 & PAS 8. Hense if you connect to any C Band Sat dish and press explore you will receive a process failed message.....

* The AUTO ID function is handy when connected to a sat dish provided that you can see the individual transponder in the spectrum screen or you already know the transponder frequency.

* The meter has enabled me to more precisely set the skew or offset of lnbs(great for weak c band sats).

* The meter has only two bugs that i have come accross (both of which i have reported to the distributor)

1) If you are a user of universal KU lnb's the meter keeps switching to low band after you set it to high band, ie the 22Khz setting keeps defaulting to off.

2) In C band you have to enter the transponder IF freq instead of the downlink freq which can be entered fine in the KU mode.

* The Datalogging function is great for Foxtel MDU installations or comparing any installs that you do on a regular basis.

* Make sure you get the channel mapping software from your dealer at time of purchase.

In conclusion it's a great meter with many great features, a few annoying bugs that would be fixed with future firmware upgrades. Will take longer to use on a straight forward Optus C1 install but will give you far greater information and the confidence to plug the sat decoder in the lounge knowing that your gonna get a picture :-)

Cheers,

Joltel

I'm keen to find out how the prodig-5 is being received by others too. How is it stacking up with other meters?

I know the recent firmware upgrade to 4.0 has solved a few issues and some of the steps are missing in the manual (lost in translation) but so far I'm pretty impressed with the ease you can navigate around the meter.

comments anyone????

as the lack of importance of foxtel approval has been proclaimed loudly on this forum, perhaps the question should be how many have foxtel purchased?

Hi

In Regard to the PRODIG-5

It does have some problem with C/N.

If you go to Measurement function and have a look at the C/N you

get one reading there and a different reading in the spectrum analyser.

I was told that the Measurement function C/N was wrong and that

the spectrum analyser has the correct C/N.

Does this also mean that the MER is not giving the right reading?

As I think the MER is made up from the C/N,

If this is the case this meter has some big problems.

Has any one had any problem with there C/N

Thanks

JohnB :blink:

Hi

In Regard to the PRODIG-5

It does have some problem with C/N.

If you go to Measurement function and have a look at the C/N you

get one reading there and a different reading in the spectrum analyser.

I was told that the Measurement function C/N was wrong and that

the spectrum analyser has the correct C/N.

Does this also mean that the MER is not giving the right reading?

As I think the MER is made up from the C/N,

If this is the case this meter has some big problems.

Has any one had any problem with there C/N

Thanks

Yes, I own one and this is partically correct, allow me to explain.

The PRODIG has two ways of calculating the C/N (as any otehr meter has), one is automatic and the other one is manual. On occasions, the automatic measurement mode does not work correctly because of the presence of adjacent channels, it is then the only occasions when the measurements differ.

The method used in Spectrum to calculate the C/N is what they call referenced noise measurement which means that you are actually measuring the noise where you want it to be measured with no alterations due to adjacent channels.

And NO, this has no effect whatsoever on the MER measurement as this measurement is only made up from the C/N when you do not have a demodulator board and this is obviously not the case with this meter. The PRODIG-5 has NO emulated digital measurements, all digital measurements (BER's and MER's) are properly taken.

I've had the PRODIG-5 since last November and have gone through a series of upgrades already and the MER gave the same values before and after upgrades.

Thanks Ponil

Information you gave is great, do you know if the updated software will fix this.

In my meter settings I have the C/N set to manual is this correct or should

it be set to auto.

Thanks

Thanks Ponil

Information you gave is great, do you know if the updated software will fix this.

it be set to auto.

Thanks

How do you find the update speed (in the faster sweep mode) and also the sunlight readablity - both in comparison to a normal analogue needle meter

David

Thanks Ponil

it be set to auto.

Thanks

You only need to set it to manual if you want to get the correct C/N on the digital terrestrial channels on 34, 35, 36, 37, & 38.

Having said that, I never put it to manual as I rarely look at the C/N.

I understand the limitatiions of the meter and, if needed, take a "visual" C/N reading, but my main decision parameters are MER and cBER (given power is OK).

Do you know what a reference noise is? Let me explain.

A reference noise just means that you "choose" the frequency at which you want your noise to be measured, that may give a very nice number, but it does not mean that the channel under test has that C/N although it is very close to being the case. The ONLY way of purelly calculating a truth C/N would be to swich off the carrier under test and then make a DCP measurement on the speced occupied by that channel, then connect it again and due the math. Obviously this is impossible to do as no operator would turn it off just for you. All other measurements of noise are approximations (very good ones I must say), but ony approximations.

MER and BER are not approximations, they are in channel measurements "affected" by noise as well as a whole number of other issues.

As for JohnB

The explorer has a digital spectrum and therefore not a real time one. The speed is good although the faster the better. It will not affect the alighnment of an antenna. The procedure I follow to aligh an antenna or adjust active devices is the same I've been using with earlier meters and that is a close approximation with spectrum and then a fine tunning with measurements (MER & cBER).

Cheers

My First Post.

I purchased a TV Explorer approx 1 month ago. After struggling a little with the limited info that comes in the instruction book supplied, i have since spent alot of time getting to know this meter and wish to share my unbiased opinions regarding this meter.

* The meter is indeed a TV explorer but you should realise that it is not actually a SAT TV explorer. If you press and hold the EXPLORER button when connected to a terrestrial antenna it will indeed search all channels from 0 - 69 and list / display all analogue and digital channels. If you press the EXPLORER button when connected to a sat antenna the meter will only search against pre defined satellites / transponders that have already been stored in it's memory using "channel mapping software" not supplied with the unit. I purchased the unit from an authorised Australian dealer and it has the latest version 4.00 firmware which only contains OPT B3, OPT B1, OPT C1 & PAS 8. Hense if you connect to any C Band Sat dish and press explore you will receive a process failed message.....

* The AUTO ID function is handy when connected to a sat dish provided that you can see the individual transponder in the spectrum screen or you already know the transponder frequency.

* The meter has enabled me to more precisely set the skew or offset of lnbs(great for weak c band sats).

* The meter has only two bugs that i have come accross (both of which i have reported to the distributor)

1) If you are a user of universal KU lnb's the meter keeps switching to low band after you set it to high band, ie the 22Khz setting keeps defaulting to off.

2) In C band you have to enter the transponder IF freq instead of the downlink freq which can be entered fine in the KU mode.

* The Datalogging function is great for Foxtel MDU installations or comparing any installs that you do on a regular basis.

* Make sure you get the channel mapping software from your dealer at time of purchase.

In conclusion it's a great meter with many great features, a few annoying bugs that would be fixed with future firmware upgrades. Will take longer to use on a straight forward Optus C1 install but will give you far greater information and the confidence to plug the sat decoder in the lounge knowing that your gonna get a picture :-)

Cheers,

Joltel

Hi, just got my TV Explorer instument. Very happy with it. But the what is the Channel Mapping Software? Is it what's called RM105? Another thing I don't understand is MER, CBER and VBER. What does it stand for? I'm only familiar with BER, Bit Eror Rate. I assume CBER and VBER are similar.

Regards from Norway, Satz

CBER is channel BER and is the Bit error RATIO of the signal before any form of error correction .

VBER is viterbi BER and is the Bit Error RATIO of the signal after it has passed through the Viterbi error correction section of the meter,(Digital STB,s also have this )

MER is modulation error ratio and is a figure which is ment to represent all impairments to the signal.

CBER is channel BER and is the Bit error RATIO of the signal before any form of error correction .

VBER is viterbi BER and is the Bit Error RATIO of the signal after it has passed through the Viterbi error correction section of the meter,(Digital STB,s also have this )

MER is modulation error ratio and is a figure which is ment to represent all impairments to the signal.

Hi, thank you very much. Now I know what to look for. Another thing, the Channel Mapping software for the Prodig-5 TV Explorer, what is it called? Is it PKTools, RM105 or something else?

kind regards,

Satz

Hi, all. Got the PKTools software from my supplier for free. Excellent software for this meter. Channel Mapping, Add frequencies, and save and print out Dataloggings from the meter. Saw V5.0 firmware is available, going to test later today.

regards, Satz

Satz,

Out of interest what do you pay for one of these meters in Norway?

Cheers

I paid 16550,- NOK ex.VAT, that is about 3280 Australian Dollar. All software included.

Just tried with latest firmware, V5.00, and found a new menu under, DiSEqC settings called 'SATCR'.

Anyone knows what this is for?

regards,

Satz