Promax TV Explorer

carpy

Sure, I only need you e-mail address.

regards,

Satz

Ad. PKtools

I have tested the PRODIG- 5 for almost 1 year, but not before I upgrade

the software to ver 5.0 i got what I realy needed.

Before I have to use my Promax-8 for sampling data.

Oivind

oivindstensrud@hotmail.com

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Emerson1503560914

Hi!

We purchased the TV explorer about 4 month ago, we are using it since then. Quite happy with it. The only problem I have is how to update the satellite and other lists, I heard about this pktools that could help me in this.

Oivind or Satz could one of you send me a copy to my email?

Thanks a lot. (lmarton@mail.tvnet.hu)

Edited by Emerson1503560914

Hi!

We purchased the TV explorer about 4 month ago, we are using it since then. Quite happy with it. The only problem I have is how to update the satellite and other lists, I heard about this pktools that could help me in this.

Oivind or Satz could one of you send me a copy to my email?

Thanks a lot. (lmarton@mail.tvnet.hu)

Hello Emerson

Yes I will send You a copy of PkTools,

Withthe PkToll You will be able to change or update the sattellite or other frek. list.

It is also possible to copy the mesurement to PC and from there make prints.

Oivind

Guest Emerson1503560914
Hello Emerson

Yes I will send You a copy of PkTools,

Withthe PkToll You will be able to change or update the sattellite or other frek. list.

It is also possible to copy the mesurement to PC and from there make prints.

Oivind

Thanks a lot Oivind!

CBER is channel BER and is the Bit error RATIO of the signal before any form of error correction .

VBER is viterbi BER and is the Bit Error RATIO of the signal after it has passed through the Viterbi error correction section of the meter,(Digital STB,s also have this )

MER is modulation error ratio and is a figure which is ment to represent all impairments to the signal.

We have Promax 10 Premium.

Does anybody know what difference between MER measure algorithm for firmare versions 5.94 and greater (for example 6.12)?

The results are different for ~7dB.

Guest Emerson1503560914
Hi, just sent both of you the program.

regards,

Satz

You had the mail rebounced? haven't received anything yet.

(LMARTON@MAIL.TVNET.HU)

Thanks

The last version shows better MER results at the same cable.

Does exist calibrated MER source/generator?

Or I can only suppose that the MER at the good headend is about 39dB,

and more close to this value result is more correct?

Hi,

As far as i know, such a generator does not exist and the reson is quite simple and has got to do with what affects the MER measurements.

MER takes into account, among many other things, noise within the channel, what most people do not take into account is that when the signal enters a level meter, it goes through a lot of electronics and, among them, an attenuator set. All of htis will add noise (and the less noise it adds the more $$$$$ the machine will cost you) into the system and thus, what the tunner and later demodulator sees is not exactly what the signal entering the meter was.

Two exact same tuners and demodulators placed on two different meters will not necessarely measure the same MER. This does not really make one meter worst than other, as long as MER values are consistent (better signal.....higher MER). Obviously this has to be put into perspective as if a meter reads 30 and another one only reads 22, there is a problem with one of them.

Ideally, MER should have an infinite value, but noise is always present. R&S for instance does not have an MER generator, but has a C/N (in channel noise generator) which makes it almost the same as they are assuming nothing else is affecting their signal (phase and/or imparements). I guess then, that would be the closest you can get to a MER generator.

A meter that measures a value of 40 dB's compared to another one that measures a value of 38 on the same signal does not make one true and the other untrue, if it means anything at all, is just that one adds less noise to the system than the other, but the optimum installation can be accomplished with both of them.

Cheers

1. Two exact same tuners and demodulators placed on two different meters will not necessarely measure the same MER. This does not really make one meter worst than other, as long as MER values are consistent (better signal.....higher MER).

2. Obviously this has to be put into perspective as if a meter reads 30 and another one only reads 22, there is a problem with one of them.

There are much text :blink: . I see contradictions.

Can I suppose the next situation is all right:

I measure MER=28dB at the CATV outlet, then I upgrade meter's firmware and the result changes to 35dB.

I think that one of firmwares has an error. I want find out which result is more correct.

What I can use as the simple generator with known MER?

Is it only expensive vector generator? Or I can use something else?

There are much text :blink: . I see contradictions.

Can I suppose the next situation is all right:

I measure MER=28dB at the CATV outlet, then I upgrade meter's firmware and the result changes to 35dB.

I think that one of firmwares has an error. I want find out which result is more correct.

What I can use as the simple generator with known MER?

Is it only expensive vector generator? Or I can use something else?

Don't have experience with this meter, but if it's designers are able to determine the quantity of noise which is introduced by the meter on the signal, they can substract that via software and therefore achieve higher MER's. I would say the higher value is the correct one in this case but, as I said, cannot be sure.

If you want to make sure, get a SFQ from R&S (go to some lab which has one) and make the measurements.

Guest acepetr
Hi, all. Got the PKTools software from my supplier for free. Excellent software for this meter. Channel Mapping, Add frequencies, and save and print out Dataloggings from the meter. Saw V5.0 firmware is available, going to test later today.

regards, Satz

Heloo

Please send me PKTools too on my e-mail acepetr@quick.cz. Thank you very much.

Hi please guys be kind enough to send the PKTools for us...

Thanks.

Send me a personal email (joroaerials@hotmail.com) and I'll send you all the same link that I got from PROMAX directly to the PKTools.

I would put it here but I guess I'm not allowed.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
For the Guys who have been using the Promax Prodig-5 for some time now...

Can they tell us their impressions. Does the instrument meet its expectations? Is it really that good?

Any disadvantages?

Cheers

Hello Costas

I find this instument superb. I youse it for adjusting al kind of Tv areals also

for logging the cable net.

The lokal net distibut 20 analog TV ch. recived from anallog TB, DT Sattelites, and

80 digital ch from 8 MUX's

Regards iOivind Norway

Hi, all. Got the PKTools software from my supplier for free. Excellent software for this meter. Channel Mapping, Add frequencies, and save and print out Dataloggings from the meter. Saw V5.0 firmware is available, going to test later today.

regards, Satz

Hi I am an engineer from Russia, working in a company that installs

satellite equipment. We have recently bought Prodig 5 , but are still

having problems with its channel sets and auto-id functions =(((

Could you please send me a copy of PkTools or a link where i can download

it?

Please do no ignore my letter, in Russia we have a few of this devices

(f.e. only 6 of them were sold in Moscow) and i have spent hours of

looking for this software in Runet and still have not found it.

My e-mail is frameus@inter-kom.biz

You are my only hope!

Edited by Sergey