Sign in to follow this  
Danny68

Hi all, my first post, what's your opinion?

:blink:

Hi all, my name's Danny, I'm new to this forum and new to everything digital and home theatre-ish in general!

I've been checking out all the posts you guys have been putting up over the last week and man have I got some learning to do!

I'm after a Plasma and STB in the not too distant future and using the info gained from this forum (THANKS!) have decided on these two units:

Panasonic TH-42PA50A SD Plasma

Force 705T HD STB

Is this a good combo? - Has anyone got this setup? Any other suggestions?

I know the Pana can be had for around the 3K mark but what about the STB? What are people paying for these things? Where can I get one in Adelaide and for what kind of $$?

Any advice would be a fantasic help to this newbee!

Great forum guys!!

You can pick up the Force box in Adelaide from Blackwood Sound Centre, how much they will discount, who knows!

You can pick up the Force box in Adelaide from Blackwood Sound Centre, how much they will discount, who knows!

Thanks ddarby.. I'm assuming you're happy with you're setup?

I know yours is the HD panel but that is stretching out of my budget! Would be nice though...

Any one else have any comments??

Is the Force 705t 'overkill' on the SD panel?

Danny68, you can't go wrong with the TH-42PA50A - I've had one for a week, and myself & spousal unit are delighted.

Could have gone HD, but couldn't see the point and decided to minimise our investment.

Happy to answer any questions you have.

Cheers

Cameron

Danny68,

For the SD Pana I would be considering a good PVR such as the Topfield rather than the Force HD STB.

The TH-50PA50A is a great set for watching TV and DVDs but doesn’t have DVI or HDMI or PC input as does the HD model, so I’m not sure a HD STB would make much, if any, difference to picture quality.

Someone who is using a Topfield or some other PVR with the TH-50PA50A may be better able to advise you on this.

:blink:

Hi all, my name's Danny, I'm new to this forum and new to everything digital and home theatre-ish in general!

I've been checking out all the posts you guys have been putting up over the last week and man have I got some learning to do!

I'm after a Plasma and STB in the not too distant future and using the info gained from this forum (THANKS!) have decided on these two units:

Panasonic TH-42PA50A SD Plasma

Force 705T HD STB

Is this a good combo? - Has anyone got this setup? Any other suggestions?

I know the Pana can be had for around the 3K mark but what about the STB? What are people paying for these things? Where can I get one in Adelaide and for what kind of $$?

Any advice would be a fantasic help to this newbee!

Great forum guys!!

I wouldnt purchase a SD plasma and would wait until the HD sets reach your budget which wont be too long the way the prices have fallen.

Ive said this before and it may upset a few SD owners but your viewing will be limited in the future and if you intend to run a PC through it which is the growing trend then your stuffed.

I wouldnt purchase a SD plasma and would wait until the HD sets reach your budget which wont be too long the way the prices have fallen.

Ive said this before and it may upset a few SD owners but your viewing will be limited in the future and if you intend to run a PC through it which is the growing trend then your stuffed.

::if you intend to run a PC through it which is the growing trend then your stuffed.:

Buy a LCD Monitor for your computer, which are 4.3 by the way.

Most if not nearly all HDTV are not in fact HD, you will need to get the resolution up quite a bit to be true HD.

I have an excellent SD, and I will wait until I can buy a TRUE HD Panel, not a half

baked version. :blink:

::if you intend to run a PC through it which is the growing trend then your stuffed.:

Buy a LCD Monitor for your computer, which are 4.3 by the way.

Most  if not nearly all HDTV are not in fact HD, you will need to get the resolution up quite a bit to be true HD.

I have an excellent SD, and I will wait until I can buy a TRUE HD Panel, not  a half

baked version.  :P

Of course you can run a LCD monitor with your PC and watch the trails left behind in fast moving shots on a movie.

Then get captivated by the enormous screen size being 20inches. :blink:

For many the SD set is the way to go. They have other priorities. Also spending more than you should can cause too much stress which ain’t worth it just for future-proofing etc.

So Danny68 get the best you feel you can afford at the moment. Keep the costs down by buying appropriate SD STB or SD PVR and you will perhaps enjoy your set more ‘cause you can relax knowing you haven’t nearly bankrupted yourself for something you didn’t really need.

IMO the 42” HD Pana is the best 42” set available ATM and value for dollar, excellent.

If I were looking for something less expensive that would suffice my needs then I wouldn’t go past the SD Pana.

I’m sure you would enjoy the TH-42PA50A, and coupled with a PVR would change your whole way of viewing TV, and you’d be getting the very best out of your purchase.

About the only negative in SD plasmas when I was shopping was the large pixel size which was clearly visible at distances one would need to watch for the cinema effect.

I put the couch 1.5 metres away for watching new release DVDs for example to get the 30 degree field needed for the cinema effect.

At that distance an SD would have quite clear screendoor effect due to the large pixels whereas its not an issue with the ALiS HD plasma.

If you don't intend viewing it like this then go for it.

Danny68, you can't go wrong with the TH-42PA50A - I've had one for a week, and myself & spousal unit are delighted.

Could have gone HD, but couldn't see the point and decided to minimise our investment.

Happy to answer any questions you have.

Cheers

Cameron

Thanks Cameron,

What was the best price you were able to get the Pana down to??

What STB did you go for?

Glad you're happy with your unit!

How is this so? Most SD panels will handle up to 1280x1024 via D-SUB, most panels wll scale that resolution to a level at which it can show. Do you mean the image will not be able to be displayed? Or it will be unable to read the text on the screen?

How is this so? Most SD panels will handle up to 1280x1024 via D-SUB, most panels wll scale that resolution to a level at which it can show. Do you mean the image will not be able to be displayed? Or it will be unable to read the text on the screen?

Of course it will show the image and text however the clarity wont be as good.

HD panels were made to increase the clarity and if you could use a SD panel to replicate what HD panels produce then what was the point of making HD panels.

Reviewers/critics would have pointed this out by now.

Thanks Cameron,

What was the best price you were able to get the Pana down to??

What STB did you go for?

Glad you're happy with your unit!

Hi Danny68,

Panel from DJ's at $3,150 including pedastal stand on 2 yrs int free (on DJ's card);

Did not get a STB as I have Fox Digital IQ and am not convinced that FTA Digital is worth it yet (although I may end up getting a DTV card for the PC and streaming digital over the LAN to a Network Media Player connected to the plasma - all of this is in my imagination so far, haven't purchased any of the kit except for installing the LAN cable & coax point behind the PC!)

Not to put too much polish on it, the PA50A is a great screen for the price. It's PQ is not perfect, as you'd get in a HD Fuji, but the low price makes up for it IMHO. If I look for it, I can detect some very subtle colour banding & solarisation on DVD viewing (and of course Fox Digital varies from channel to channel, from DVD quality to just acceptable), but again, the low price makes up for it. Just want to make sure you know what you're buying, and of course you MUST see this screen in operation before you buy it - your eyes may be different to mine!

Caveat emptor.

Good luck!

Cheers

Cameron

Time for my 2 cents worth. Danny, after much reading and driving the other half and a particular friend stupid with questions, I took the plunge about a week ago. Bought the Pana TH-42PA50A with Topfield PVR 120gb, Pioneer progressive scan DVD. Apart from not seeing the Crows in the GF on Sat, cant fault the set up. Am using the inbuilt speakers and to my uneducated ear, think they are pretty good, especially on DVD. Love the PVR - very easy to use and gets rid of those video tapes!

Based on the forum, have backed off some of the settings for the first 100 hours for burn in, but not really sure it if it necessary. PQ hasn't been impacted too much.

I was keen on staying in the $3k bracket and looked at everything from Soniq, LG, Samsung, NEC, Pana, Hitachi and Fuji. For the price I thought the Pana was clearly the best picture although it was about $500 more than most others. I saw its big brother HD model running the same HD signal and I honestly couldn't see $1200 difference. I think the picture would be better with a HD STB but of course that limits your options re PVRs. So in the end, I decided the Topfiled SD PVR was the pick of them until a HD unit is released at an affordable price.

Paid $3100 with a 5 year warranty and $800 for the PVR. Think I did ok!! Trick is to push them really hard. I was lucky in that regard and had a good friend to help me out. Thanks TF!

Hope this helps.