Plasma Buzz gone with acoustic tiles (PHOTOS) !

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
and buzz issues in general

the buzz from my plasma is due to the crappy $2 fans for cooling.

If I stop the fans from spinning (temporarily only of course), then zero buzz.

I have been pretty tempted to replace the fans myself, but not yet had the courage!

cheers :blink:

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if Buzz from a Panasonic Plasma (50PX70a) is normal?

How much buzz should there be. It is definitely noticeable when its quiet.

When audio volume is on it over powers it but you can still makeout the buzz.

Its coming from the rear on both sides of the unit where the transformers are.

• 5 weeks later...

Zacspeed, I just bought a panny 42PV70 (or or px how it's called in other parts of the world) and it's making a loud buzz especially on white scenes :( Really annoying and it's audible when there is quiet in the room even from 3-4 meters away.

And exactly like your case, the buzzing is coming from the left and right upper parts of the panel or something like that...from what I heard, very few people have our problem with the new models. Really don't know what to do, I'm sure panasonic will say "this thing is normal, we cannot fix it" :(

Edited by raz98

I called Panasonic and they said it shouldnt make a buzz but they referred me to a service agent. I had the service agent attend my house and inspect the unit. They said all Plasmas make a buzz and that it was normal.

Depends on hearing of people also as some people arent atune to such sounds liek that.

Im at a loss too, I mean even now I hear it all the time.

APparently room acoustics has a large part to play in it. My lounge for now is all solid surfaces mainly and im going to look at the acoustic tiles behind.

Ive a friend also with a Pana but the PX700 and theirs also does the same buzz.

If you end up finding a solution for it please let us know here.

The intensity of my buzz would be comparable with the buzz/hum you get from the refrigerator running and the buzz from 240V fluro tubes.

Zacspeed yes, I was thinking the other day that the buzz is like a refrigeratior hum :) The room in which I have the TV is also almost "naked", I have only the bed and the walls, a small carpet under the bed and some drapes that are also small - maybe this has an impact too.

Ok here is what I tried: I bought an Automatic Voltage Regulator (http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=LE1200I), that regulates the voltage in the line. But it didn't help, is Ok for protecting and delivering a constant tension to the plasma, but regarding the buzz it did nothing.

I want to try next an UPS to make the plasma plasma run on batteries just for a test. This way I will know for sure if it's the electrical circuit fault or the plasma fault.

Then if it's plasma's fault, I want to call Panasonic to see what they are saying, probably they say like your case, "it's normal". I woldn't mind paying for the reparir/replace of the faulty parts (they are just some transformers, how expensive they might be ? ) but I want to get rid of the buzz . If this thing will not work either, the only solution I see is to make a wall behind the plasma with acoustic tiles...

***SNIP***

Ok here is what I tried: I bought an Automatic Voltage Regulator (http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=LE1200I)...........

I want to try next an UPS to make the plasma plasma run on batteries just for a test. This way I will know for sure if it's the electrical circuit fault or the plasma fault.

While the voltage regulator and UPS might be a good idea for other reasons, unless you generate your mains electricity by pedalling a stationary generator and buy a fully line-interactive pure sine-wave UPS, it's fair to say that your mains supply is (99.99999% of the time) "cleaner", more stable and better regulated then any other setup................

Then if it's plasma's fault, I want to call Panasonic to see what they are saying, probably they say like your case, "it's normal"......

But ....................

....I just bought a panny 42PV70 ........ and it's making a loud buzz especially on white scenes ........Really don't know what to do, I'm sure panasonic will say "this thing is normal, we cannot fix it" :(

So, to summarise.....You've just brought a brand-new Plasma, it makes, what you consider, excessive noise, and the first thing you do is buy an AVR, then you're going to buy a UPS, and if that doesn't work then you're going to complain to Panasonic ???

Do you think it might be a good idea to speak to the manufacturer prior to spending your money attempting to fix it ?????

Austen.

While the voltage regulator and UPS might be a good idea for other reasons, unless you generate your mains electricity by pedalling a stationary generator and buy a fully line-interactive pure sine-wave UPS, it's fair to say that your mains supply is (99.99999% of the time) "cleaner", more stable and better regulated then any other setup................

But ....................

So, to summarise.....You've just brought a brand-new Plasma, it makes, what you consider, excessive noise, and the first thing you do is buy an AVR, then you're going to buy a UPS, and if that doesn't work then you're going to complain to Panasonic ???

Do you think it might be a good idea to speak to the manufacturer prior to spending your money attempting to fix it ?????

Austen.

Oh Austen, you're always pushing that "logic" and "rational thought" line. I'd hate to see you try and have a conversation with any of my exes... :P;)B)

Austen, I have a bad power line, it's underpowered (under 220 volt as it should be normal here), and I bought the AVR mainly for protecting the plasma. Yes initially, I thought this buzz may be because the power line spikes but I didn't bought this AVR only for that, they were ordered in the same time (plasma arrived earlier, the avr after some days).

I don't want to buy an UPS, I wanted to take one from a friend and see if it's on battery power then the plasma will do the same because I heard a lot of these buzz problems aren't plasma's fault, they are because of bad power lines, bad house circuitry or even other consumers in the house or neighborhood (neon lamps, refrigerators, etc).

I don't want to fight with panasonic until I know it's not my fault, I've heard some cases of people who complained, they received another unit that was making the same noise and in the end it seemed that their house was the "problem" since the tv taken somewhere else was quieter.

Edited by raz98

• 2 months later...

there a few different things going on in this thread, but heres my question...

i have a new pioneer LX508 and i can here a buzz coming from it. this is my first plasma screen, so what is the issue here:

a. i should invest in better sound proofing ?

b. should i invest in a better shielded power cables - is this mains hum?

c. is it normal? [not likely]

d. is it a fault with the screen? [not likely]

anybody what to share some wisdom? its sounds like the screen, but it could be something environmental? i know these have been covered in previous replies. however, has anybody got something concrete eg. shielded cables are the best thing [this is currently my most logical conclusion here].

Edited by nuperspective

• 1 month later...
there a few different things going on in this thread, but heres my question...

i have a new pioneer LX508 and i can here a buzz coming from it. this is my first plasma screen, so what is the issue here:

a. i should invest in better sound proofing ?

b. should i invest in a better shielded power cables - is this mains hum?

c. is it normal? [not likely]

d. is it a fault with the screen? [not likely]

anybody what to share some wisdom? its sounds like the screen, but it could be something environmental? i know these have been covered in previous replies. however, has anybody got something concrete eg. shielded cables are the best thing [this is currently my most logical conclusion here].

I just got my Lx 508 Plasma delivered and set up today and guess what?....I can also hear a buzzing sound when the unit is switched on.... it's bloody loud! I can hear it over my 5.1 sound when listening at decent level of volume. For paying 5+ grand for the screen I would have expected it to be a bit quieter, especially since Pioneer are ranked as the premium screen for plasmas. Sounds like it's coming from the 2 x cooling fans on back of case...had a listen and I think it is the fans....but not sure. Will give it a couple of days but it's already driving me crazy due the high pitch. I have changed the settings under Power but to no avail...it's still there loud and strong!

Edited by Furball

Interesting topic - my plasma has buzzed from day 2 of ownership - Panasonic 50px70a - it certainly seems that some people hear these frequencies more than others as some guests cannot hear it at all, to me it is extremely annoying and can be cleary heard over a moderate volume. Its certainly louder than fridges running in open space in the next room.

Some DIY options - anyone tried these?

Jon Risch

John Slayer's wall units

• 3 weeks later...

This probably isn't the ideal place to post this since the thread talks abt Plasmas, but my Sony Bravia KDL 46XBR has a very annoying fan noise. It kicks in after 5 seconds of powering up and is very noticeable when watching the tv in the evening with no outside noise interference. Lotus7 has certainly hit the nail on the head by saying some people are more attuned to these frequencies than others because it annoys me a great deal but any visitors don't seem to notice.

This is the third XBR that I've experienced this same noise with - I previously owned a 40" model which was noisy, took that back to Sony Central and compared to another 40" to find that too was noisy so I put it down to that model being susceptible to a loud fan noise. In fact, user reviews on other websites seemed to point this out. As such, I upgraded, only to find the 46" has exactly the same noise. So either I'm extremely unlucky in getting three dodgy units in a row, or I should just learn to live with it.

After reading other posters feedback on acoustic tiles and other possible solutions I'll definitely look into those. I'm so glad a forum such as this exists to go to for help. I'm crossing my fingers that the tiles do the job...

• 2 weeks later...
I called Panasonic and they said it shouldnt make a buzz but they referred me to a service agent. I had the service agent attend my house and inspect the unit. They said all Plasmas make a buzz and that it was normal.

Depends on hearing of people also as some people arent atune to such sounds liek that.

Im at a loss too, I mean even now I hear it all the time.

APparently room acoustics has a large part to play in it. My lounge for now is all solid surfaces mainly and im going to look at the acoustic tiles behind.

Ive a friend also with a Pana but the PX700 and theirs also does the same buzz.

If you end up finding a solution for it please let us know here.

The intensity of my buzz would be comparable with the buzz/hum you get from the refrigerator running and the buzz from 240V fluro tubes.

I have the Panasonic PX700A and the buzz is very annoying. The TV service man came recently and also said that it's normal.

Has anyone worked out how to get rid of the buzz coming from the Panasonic PX700A?

Hi all

I also bought a new LX508 just less than a week ago. (beautiful display by the way), but the buzz is a problem for me too. I only really notice it when the volume is low or the room is quiet. it's not louder than my fridge in the next room though. but it's enough to dampen my viewing/listening pleasure after the long awaited decision to get this state of the art TV. My missus never noticed it until I made hear attune to it, but I tune in to small things like this for some reason (very sensitive ears). The acoustic tiles sound very promising. I will first experiment holding up a carpet on the wall behind it to see if it makes a difference.

Looks like "buzz" noise is a normal behaviour of all plasma technologies, below is a quote from Panansonic I found on a blog from "High Def Forum"....

-------------------------------

Plasma panel buzzing is a normal phenomenon. They work on a totally

different principle to colour televisions and have different operating

characteristics.

The level at which the operating buzz becomes noticeable is always

subjective, one person may hear it whilst another does not.

The following points help to understand the factors surrounding the

buzzing:

The picture scanning drive circuits operate at high frequencies and powers.

It is these circuits that cause the buzzing sound. The circuits are used to

create both the picture and reuse energy to keep the unit efficiency high

and panel heat emission low. This over-heating control is very important on

the panels that do not use fans i.e 37†and 42†The resulting loss of fans

makes for a quieter panel operation.

Due to the very high amount of power processing required, the 50†panels

have 4 cooling fans which will also contribute to the overall noise these

plasma panels will produce.

The buzz will appear more concentrated at the sides of the unit since this

is where the power circuit boards are situated.

Because we do not employ cooling fans, the buzz may be heard in very quiet

surroundings. Plasma buzzing is normal and will always occur, but the level

of buzz is what matters.

Generally speaking the buzz will only be heard in quiet surroundings [with

low levels of audio from whatever sound system used] and with the user

seated too close to the panel [less than12’ for 42†and 10’ for 37†panels.

A typical scenario is using the panel in the middle of the night when

listening to news broadcasts at low volume. In this situation buzz might be

heard during the silent breaks in the audio, but not so much during speech.

This is not abnormal nor does it indicate a faulty panel.

If the buzz is heard above normal ambient daytime noise and audio levels at

more that 12’ a problem might be present.

The method of panel installation will also affect the amount of noise

heard. Wall mounting the panel will cause buzz emitted from the back of the

panel to be reflected off the wall and into the room more than if the unit

is located on the pedestal which is seated 2 to 4 feet away.

Hard wall surface i.e. painted/wooden panels will be more effective

reflectors than say walls that are covered in softer finishes, wall papered

or curtained.

Changing the picture mode in the picture settings menu between

dynamic/normal cinema will also reduce the level of perceived noise since

this affects how much power the panel is processing and this the level of

power produced.

Having too much brightness and contrast with the dynamic mode setting on,

can overdrive the panel and cause louder buzz levels with strong picture

signals i.e. DVD or Sky digital signals. Changing these settings can lower

the level of buzz produced. Use ‘normal’ picture mode and lower

brightness/contrast settings to reduce this effect.

It is normal for the buzz tone and level to change the picture content

because the panel drive circuits are processing different amounts of power

and adapting their drive cycles.

Plasma panels do not run in total silence. They do buzz as a normal part of

their operation but this level of buzz is quite low and may be

intermittently noticed in quiet surroundings.

Please ensure these facts are understood and check your panel against a

dealers display unit before requesting service since abnormal levels of

buzz are not always ‘abnormal’ but just the normal operating buzz of plasma

technology.

----------------------------------------------

Edited by jeran

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest BigDog1503562200

Hey there,

As I am about to take delivery of an LX508 this topic caught my eye. Firstly let me just set the record straight with my humble thoughts on the subject of the power up hum or buzz as you put it-

One punter here wrote earier on that he/she thought it may be his/her cooling fans ...this is entirely very possible as we all know the noise of our PC fans when they get going in a quiet envirionment, this however is in tandem with....

Secondly, and most probably, is the thoughts from many that this background hum is produced as a by-product of drive circuitry within the chassis of these both LCD and Plasma display panels. As paticular power supply circuits operate under, load sometimes their components will produce sound particularly when this load is at a maximum ( white screens= all gas cells energised ), due to the design of such circuits to save both cost and weight the good old transformers of years gone by ( which incidently used to "squeal" after a long period as well!....many years typically ) have been turfed out and replaced by what are know as switch-mode power supplies with are basically transistors being switched on/off at high speeds .. around 16.5kHz typically, supplying the power requirements of the surrounding signal/control processing circuitry. All of this awesome signal processing, power supply and regulation and control logic produces heat ( another enemy of electronics) and noise....most of which is pitched so high as to be inaudible to the human ear but is present nonetheless. Also it should be noted that the discharge of voltage through each plasma pixel not only creates a burst of ultraviolet light (and a broad spectrum of electromagnetic ‘garbage’), it also causes a small mechanical vibration, some say this is more audible at higher altitudes where the air pressures on the glass panel plates are lower ...allowing the glass to vibrate more freely. This combined with lower production values would explain this buzz reported by so many.

As a result of the average consumer wanting cheaper and cheaper high quality display panels...something has to give....and that something is usually shielding or buffering or construction materials...that is why you can buy a Plasma display panel for $5,000 these days instead of the $30,000 it was not so many years ago...and why its on a plastic chassis with bugger all baffling and minimal shielding.

If anyone here was to purchase a Bang and Olfsen plasma panel we wouldn't even be seeing this topic....but then you wouldn't want to hear a hum for $36,500 in 2008 dollars that is...the buzzing will still be there in the B&O...its just that the required extra materials and design are also there to counter it! This is why some OEM's (original equipment manufacturer's) are saying some audible buzzing is "normal" for their panel.

The original soloution of sound absorbent/deflecting materials to the rear of the panel is a good one as this basically achieves what the OEM was not prepared to achieve due to cost constraints to enable greater consumer takeup of his product, also try soft furnishings in the room as they reflect less sound and only then IMHO ...if the buzzing is still very apparent contact your retailer...otherwise you risk being stuck with a call-out fee bill for "no fault found"....how do I know this?

I am a technician of 26 years experience in repair installation and modification of both consumer and industrial and military electronics...my two cents for what its worth ;)

Cheers!

BigDog

ps..and a big negative on the comment earlier about "most" faults on TV's or appliances by lightning strike....I have found 99% of faults coming from power surges/spikes coming down the 240V line rather than antenna strikes ( brown-outs are another common cause of faults ...where the incoming supply from the street is down around 3/4 - 1/2 voltage and your equipment ( including fridges...washing machines etc ) tries to still deliver performance but just burns itself out trying )...but....believe me...if lightning struck your antenna....a blown Plasma Panel would be the last thing on your mind....try getting out of the house in one piece first! A lightning discharge is incredibly powerful--up to 30 million volts at 100000 amperes!!

pps..for the future! - another problem looming on the horizon for all consumers world-wide is the impact of the use of lead-free solder in all industries legislated from 2006 ( bar the Military) for reliability of solder joints will now be an issue.....

Edited by BigDog1503562200