Plasma Buzz gone with acoustic tiles (PHOTOS) !

Hi all,

Well I've just installed the acoustic tiles behind the plasma and lo and behold going to a white screen results in no discernible buzz - and we're talking a buzz that was easily heard 3-4 meters away on a white screen which wasn't too often admittedly.

This afternoon there was a snow jumping competition with much white snow and very irritating buzz during those scenes.

Now even a full white screen gives a very low degree hum rather than buzz that is audible only with an otherwise silent room. There is absolutely no background buzz left and to say I'm impressed is understatement.

The tiled area measures 1.5m by 1m. I'll post some pictures later.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Well I've just installed the acoustic tiles behind the plasma and lo and behold going to a white screen results in no discernible buzz - and we're talking a buzz that was easily heard 3-4 meters away on a white screen which wasn't too often admittedly.

This afternoon there was a snow jumping competition with much white snow and very irritating buzz during those scenes.

Now even a full white screen gives a very low degree hum rather than buzz that is audible only with an otherwise silent room. There is absolutely no background buzz left and to say I'm impressed is understatement.

The tiled area measures 1.5m by 1m. I'll post some pictures later.

Tickled to hear that all is going well for you phreek.

Now you can concentrate on the most important part....getting enjoyment out of you beloved Fuji in an (Almost) buzz free environment.

I will be honest with you though bud, I pulled out my P42HHA40US when I first got it in a super quiet room and I tested it for dead pixels by having the white screen on for a couple of minutes and there was absolutely NO buzz at all.

I also put on a about four different DVD's (Region 1's and 4"s) and still no noises whatsoever.

(I still have not permanently got it set-up yet, as I am waiting on a few new pieces or equipment that are on order)

By the way, Have you got a power filter of some sort?

Maybe this may remove the buzz completely...could be worth trying at least?

I have all my gear hooked up to a a Belkin Pure AV-8 myself and it is fantastic...you can see and hear the difference, maybe worth considering this as a possible fix to your problem.

Now you can concentrate on the most important part....getting enjoyment out of you beloved Fuji in an (Almost) buzz free environment.

I will be honest with you though bud, I pulled out my P42HHA40US when I first got it in a super quiet room and I tested it for dead pixels by having the white screen on for a couple of minutes and there was absolutely NO buzz at all.

I also put on a about four different DVD's (Region 1's and 4"s) and still no noises whatsoever.

(I still have not permanently got it set-up yet, as I am waiting on a few new pieces or equipment that are on order)

I have all my gear hooked up to a a Belkin Pure AV-8 myself and it is fantastic...you can see and hear the difference, maybe worth considering this as a possible fix to your problem.

Well its even quieter now and I tried the white screen again - you may remember I thought the baffle reduced the buzz about 60-70%. With the acoustic tiles its definitely 99% or more and this is in an otherwise silent room.

Even I can't believe it - it's like voodoo or something - how these 5cm thick foam tiles achieve this is amazing. You might also remember that I had said that the SA-XR45 had noticeable 'sibilance' and had more audible treble. Well I'm convinced that it was actually my room which was at fault - the music and sound has no edginess now.

I tried the clap test and I can't hear a slap-echo which was definitely there beforehand.

I was a real skeptic of room treatments but I've now got the proof and its well worth it. I'm certain now that even though all plasmas buzz that it's the environment they're in which can amplify it. My wall was bare and I think the room and cabinet space below etc. is such that it was creating a resonant space for it to really echo and amplify.

I'm impressed. Now I can't wait to get the other three tiles on the opposite wall for cancellation of echos behind my head.

I've had the 8-way Belkin power isolator for about three weeks now. It's not related to the power.

I mean the fact that I can't hear the buzz now is convincing proof that it's amplified by resonance and echoing, and those who don't hear it have their plasmas in good environments; and anyone who has buzzing ought to treat the back wall with acoustic tiles to essentially completely eliminate the problem.

Here are some photos as promised. Notoriously difficult to get a good photo of them - I had to expose for the tiles in some and the panel in others.

The first photo is the most realistic as far as overall lighting level goes and shows what I see.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/zuiko/ATile.jpg

The next photo is exposed to show the tiles and is brighter than what I see - not the screen is overexposed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/zuiko/ATile1.jpg

Here is a photo showing more of the back and the design I chose given the colour choices I ended up with. This way the bias light creates the shadows in the horizontally arranged middle tiles where the light is and the equally nice shadow effect in the vertically arranged tiles at the edges. The shadow effect would be lost if the middle tiles were arranged vertically and outer tiles horizontally.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/zuiko/ATile2.jpg

Just a final one that shows the whole width of the tiles and an intermediate exposure.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/zuiko/ATile3.jpg

Their acoustic performance ie. cancelling the buzz echo is superb as I've mentioned above. I think the visual appeal is also there but others may disagree or think a rug is better. My wife is very pleased with the 'feature wall' aspect of these - and is equally pleased that I am happy with their acoustic properties.

Hope you get ideas/enjoy the photos!

Here are some photos as promised. Notoriously difficult to get a good photo of them - I had to expose for the tiles in some and the panel in others.

The first photo is the most realistic as far as overall lighting level goes and shows what I see.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/zuiko/ATile.jpg

The next photo is exposed to show the tiles and is brighter than what I see - not the screen is overexposed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/zuiko/ATile1.jpg

Here is a photo showing more of the back and the design I chose given the colour choices I ended up with. This way the bias light creates the shadows in the horizontally arranged middle tiles where the light is and the equally nice shadow effect in the vertically arranged tiles at the edges. The shadow effect would be lost if the middle tiles were arranged vertically and outer tiles horizontally.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/zuiko/ATile2.jpg

Just a final one that shows the whole width of the tiles and an intermediate exposure.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/zuiko/ATile3.jpg

Their acoustic performance ie. cancelling the buzz echo is superb as I've mentioned above. I think the visual appeal is also there but others may disagree or think a rug is better. My wife is very pleased with the 'feature wall' aspect of these - and is equally pleased that I am happy with their acoustic properties.

Hope you get ideas/enjoy the photos!

Nice One Phreek,

How much did it cost to get it done? That looks cosmetically attractive, no wonder the missus approved it, u should start marketing your creation =)! and claim some royalties there. Good to hear its attractive and effective all at one go.

I've had the 8-way Belkin power isolator for about three weeks now. It's not related to the power.

I have to agree with phreek on this one, as a J35 owner I certainly know what audio and video drop-outs are, and the 8-way PureAV Isolator didn't make any difference to the drop-outs.

Mind you, it is an impressive looking power-board, and importantly, for me at least, comes with an unlimited $$ / unlimited time warranty both for itself and any connected equiptment.

Austen.

(phreek, we need some day-time photos to get a good look, and what the heck were you doing watching "Idol", even a Fuji isn't going to make Idol look good :blink: )

Can i ask, how far the plasma was from the nearest wall? Was it in the middle of the room when you tested it?

I have to agree with phreek on this one, as a J35 owner I certainly know what audio and video drop-outs are, and the 8-way PureAV Isolator didn't make any difference to the drop-outs.

Mind you, it is an impressive looking power-board, and importantly, for me at least, comes with an unlimited $$ / unlimited time warranty both for itself and any connected equiptment.

Austen.

(phreek, we need some day-time photos to get a good look, and what the heck were you doing watching "Idol", even a Fuji isn't going to make Idol look good  :blink: )

I like the power board. I've connected the antennas through it too as most lightning strikes get equipment through the antenna than the power.

The audio dropouts are due to impulse noise and the biggest culprit at our house is the washing machine. On rinse cycle HD TV becomes unwatchable really.

An antenna upgrade is the next cheap but real improvement I'm going to make.

Can i ask, how far the plasma was from the nearest wall? Was it in the middle of the room when you tested it?

The plasma was 23cm from the back wall and remains there.

The tile has taken up 5cm of space so there is now 18cm between the back of the plasma and the tiles. I haven't tested the plasma anywhere else but judging from the results of this exercise I can say with confidence that the environment of the plasma is what generates the amplification of the buzz.

The plasma was 23cm from the back wall and remains there.

The tile has taken up 5cm of space so there is now 18cm between the back of the plasma and the tiles. I haven't tested the plasma anywhere else but judging from the results of this exercise I can say with confidence that the environment of the plasma is what generates the amplification of the buzz.

You know i agree here.

I glad to hear it worked so well.

You know i agree here.

I glad to hear it worked so well.

Absolutely brilliant really. Not only for the plasma buzzing, but the room acoustics in general.

It's quite obvious that the wall was causing quite a high-freq/treble amplification because the change in sound from the XR45-speakers has improved dramatically. There's no edginess left, and when I clap my hands I no longer hear the slap following the echo.

Previously there was a clap echo followed immediately after by a sharp 'clack' type sound. Now gone. It's amazing how much difference such a small change can make to the whole room's acoustics.

I'm putting up some tiles behind the listening area to eliminate the bare area there too.

Shinrai,

Do you still hear buzz from your Fujitsu plasma screen?

I've had my frame behind the plasma up for a week now and i've enjoyed not being able to hear it. It's there, slighlty, but not as intrusive as before. Last night, i was switching around some connections on the plasma and had to take it off. Wow, i had almost forgotten how bad it is.

I ordered my tiles last week. I'm expecting they will go a long way to reducing the buzz even further.

Just doing something will help.

Now that we have two people confirming substantial improvements, hopefully others will find some comfort that there is a solution to the buzz. Not coming from the manufacturers though.

Unfortunately, the fix can reasonably cost anywhere form $50 - $200+. But consider that it's a long term fix with long term satisfaction. Well, at least until the SED comes along. Geez, that better not buzz!

Hey Phreek, i ordered another 3 tiles and i'm going for a larger area like yourself.

Mine are plain grey and Cameron at fonic says a light, breathable, hession will be fine. Lincraft and spotlight have got heeps of these in many colours just in case anyone wants to go down this path.

Hey Phreek, i ordered another 3 tiles and i'm going for a larger area like yourself.

Mine are plain grey and Cameron at fonic says a light, breathable, hession will be fine. Lincraft and spotlight have got heeps of these in many colours just in case anyone wants to go down this path.

The larger area is definitely the way to go.

Fortunately with the 42" and the dimensions of the tiles the proportion is good ie. 1.5:1 rectangle. The tiles go about 18cm above and below and about 25cm to the left and right.

I showed my wife last night the reduction of the buzz on white screen when the house is quietest and the fridge can be heard quite easily from the living area. She was very impressed that there was no detectable noise at all and that the fridge's noise was audible - whereas the plasma would easily have outbuzzed the fridge without the wall treatment.

You'll be impressed at the results too - the baffle while it reduced the noise about 70% doesn't compare to the silence of this. At low ambient room noise levels the plasma buzz was faintly heard at all times - that is 100% gone - nothing at all - and like I've reported even the high pitched white screen noise is essentially gone to undetectable.

What did you use as a backing?

Corflute. You can get some from a local signwriter - the stuff real estate signs are made from. A white plastic 'cardboard'. Make sure you hang it up with the lines horizontal - as corflute is strong at the lines.

Make sure the corflute is cut about 2cm shorter on both dimensions otherwise you'll see it at the edges.

Used liquid nails dolloped on 5 points - corners+centre to put up the tiles.

Hung up on two screws spaced 75cm apart. Small holes were made in the corflute 5cm measured from the edge of the foam.

This way it's portable too so if I move then it can go with me.

Here is the daytime photo suggested above. The colours look darker when not directly lighted with the bias light.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/zuiko/ATile4.jpg

The makers of the tiles have done experiments on the tile's performance when fitted vertically or horizontally and apparently there is no difference even when mounted all vertically or horizontally. You might have seen professional recording studios or radio stations have alternating directions and that's where I got my inspiration from and chose the sequence to enhance the bias lighting's shadowing. My wife suggested that had I used the burgundy tiles on the outside vertically it would pay homage to the classical movie theatres with their big burgundy curtains.

Today I've had an opportunity to test the sound system at reference volumes (75-85dB) and the treble is balanced and tamed - I was blaming the digital amp unfairly; the room was to blame and the plasma's buzz is a high frequency treble note so I am not surprised the treble is much improved.

Here is a picture of the backing Corflute material on the tiles I'm preparing for the opposite wall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/zuiko/ATile6.jpg

Overall a very worthwhile project for the plasma buzz and the secondary but significant improvement in room audio dynamics. A final photo until I have the second set of tiles up and anyone's interested in seeing those.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/zuiko/ATile5.jpg

I'd be more than happy to provide any other details if anyone else is interested in something like this. There are other manufacturers of acoustic tiles so you may be able to find other styles that may suit your decor.

Here is the daytime photo suggested above. The colours look darker when not directly lighted with the bias light.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/zuiko/ATile4.jpg

The makers of the tiles have done experiments on the tile's performance when fitted vertically or horizontally and apparently there is no difference even when mounted all vertically or horizontally. You might have seen professional recording studios or radio stations have alternating directions and that's where I got my inspiration from and chose the sequence to enhance the bias lighting's shadowing. My wife suggested that had I used the burgundy tiles on the outside vertically it would pay homage to the classical movie theatres with their big burgundy curtains.

Today I've had an opportunity to test the sound system at reference volumes (75-85dB) and the treble is balanced and tamed - I was blaming the digital amp unfairly; the room was to blame and the plasma's buzz is a high frequency treble note so I am not surprised the treble is much improved.

Here is a picture of the backing Corflute material on the tiles I'm preparing for the opposite wall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/zuiko/ATile6.jpg

Overall a very worthwhile project for the plasma buzz and the secondary but significant improvement in room audio dynamics. A final photo until I have the second set of tiles up and anyone's interested in seeing those.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/zuiko/ATile5.jpg

I'd be more than happy to provide any other details if anyone else is interested in something like this. There are other manufacturers of acoustic tiles so you may be able to find other styles that may suit your decor.

You have done well phreek...

It actually looks really attractive also, almost gives in a real Cinema feel in some areas.

But the point that is important is that it is practical above all else and is working for you.

I agree that the environment plays a big part in any Home Cinema set-up and I think as some of us do, that we don't really focus on this as much as what we are going to put in it.

Very few of us are able to afford a dedicated Cinema room, so we just have to make the best out of what we have got available to us.

My room is carpeted and I also have very thick curtains at my rear, I also have a big wool partition to separate one area (I have a very large L-Shape lounge room adjacent to the left at the front of the room) from the main Home Cinema area and it sounds really good and tight with no reflection at all.

Before I put the partition up I was losing a large amount of bottom end and a smidgen of my tops in this area.

I also intend on putting a larger partition behind the plasma in due course so as to keep it just that little bit tighter still

My walls are all plaster and this combined with everything else (for me anyway) gives me a really good balance, never ideal, but good enough for me.

Just an update.

I put up my sound tiles just now. 6 in total - 3x2 formation on the wall, about 20cm or less from the plasma.

Simply put, these tiles rock! The sound reflection off the wall has been cut down substantially. At this stage i'd have to say i can't hear the buzz from where i normally sit. And you can include the fans, in that less than professional analysis, which is just a great bonus.

So, I'm one happy camper.

I'm about to cover them with a light yellow fabric but it turns out the dark grey colour looks nice. Even the wife liked the look. :blink:

I actually put the tiles on a 16x9 timber frame and the fabric is going to be pinned to the inside of the back. So it's actually going to be easy to clean and change colours if we want. The frame is hanging on 3 hooks screwed into studs. You can't see these.

Thanks to Phreek for encouraging me to put the tiles on the wall. Plenty of airflow now.

I like the power board. I've connected the antennas through it too as most lightning strikes get equipment through the antenna than the power.

The audio dropouts are due to impulse noise and the biggest culprit at our house is the washing machine. On rinse cycle HD TV becomes unwatchable really.

An antenna upgrade is the next cheap but real improvement I'm going to make.

Sorry guys, I have to disagree with the statement about more antennas copping it than via the power. The power grid is notorious for importing transient surges into the home, and should be protected if possible. It is good that you are able to plug the antenna cable into the power board as this probably provides equipotential bonding which will eliminate damage caused by the various domestic earth connections actually becoming different voltages during an electrical storm.