Calibration advice for Pana TH-42PV500A

Guest JimboTHX1138

Sony DVPNS76H $200. Accurately converts the colours to the HD colour matrix for upconversion.

Because of the problem of this TV not allowing you to switch between SD/HD colour matrix's at HD resolutions i have been searching for an upconverting player that will fix the colours internally before sending the signal to the display. The search is over.

If you are looking for an upconverting player to pair with this TV then go for the Sony DVPNS76H. It is a great player with good de-interlacing and fixes the colours internally before sending the signal to the display. It costs $200 and outperforms many DVD players double it's price. IMO it also outperforms the highly regarded Panasonic DVD-S97 which i also own and cost me $500 just over a year ago. It has now been replaced by the Sony.

I had a lot of problems with this colour conversion problem and am glad i have found this player. I hope this can help someone else so they don't have to go through what i went through.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PersianImmortal: I read on alot of American forums for the Panasonic Warm is infact closer to D65 color then standard? And with service menu settings, when i go in it seems to switch to the dynamic mode and changes the settings only for that, how do i adjust service menu settings like colour rgb for the normal mode? Thanks :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought a 42PV60A for the bedroom and used your settings Persian. The picture is astounding and I think the settins are a happy compromise for all sorts of material. I have connected it up to a LG PVR and the PQ is awsome. The LGs remote swithes the Pana on and off as well which is a bonus. We had a Toshiba 37" LCD in there before and I'm so glad we got rid of it in favour of the Pana. Never will I buy an LCD again.

I dont want to start a brand war or anything but we also have a 50" 51 series fujitsu and while they are both great sets I find the Fuji gives a better picture with most sources. I think the major difference is when there is a dark scene (CSI is full of them) the Fuji seems to give you much more detail in the darkness. The Fuji also seems to be less colourful and more lifelike. That said I paid $1650 for the Pana and am absolutely 100% over the moon with it! :blink:

Thank you Persian for your time and effort in getting this set to the best it can. It was one of the main reasons I bought the set. Do the think you could do the same for a 50" Fuji :D . Never seen any settings around for this. I have contacted Aaron to calibrate it but he doesn't know when he will get to Adelaide. I think I will get the Pana done as well at the same time. It would be an interesting exercise to see how the settings compare.

Again thank you to all that contribute to getting the most out of this great panel.

Cheers, Dean

Just bought a 42PV60A for the bedroom and used your settings Persian. The picture is astounding and I think the settins are a happy compromise for all sorts of material. I have connected it up to a LG PVR and the PQ is awsome. The LGs remote swithes the Pana on and off as well which is a bonus. We had a Toshiba 37" LCD in there before and I'm so glad we got rid of it in favour of the Pana. Never will I buy an LCD again.

I dont want to start a brand war or anything but we also have a 50" 51 series fujitsu and while they are both great sets I find the Fuji gives a better picture with most sources. I think the major difference is when there is a dark scene (CSI is full of them) the Fuji seems to give you much more detail in the darkness. The Fuji also seems to be less colourful and more lifelike. That said I paid $1650 for the Pana and am absolutely 100% over the moon with it! :blink:

Thank you Persian for your time and effort in getting this set to the best it can. It was one of the main reasons I bought the set. Do the think you could do the same for a 50" Fuji :D . Never seen any settings around for this. I have contacted Aaron to calibrate it but he doesn't know when he will get to Adelaide. I think I will get the Pana done as well at the same time. It would be an interesting exercise to see how the settings compare.

Again thank you to all that contribute to getting the most out of this great panel.

Cheers, Dean

Hi Dean,

I also have 42PV60A. I found PI's brightness setting (35) is too low for 60A (Please be aware his setting is for 500A). That is probably why you found pana misses some details in the dark scene simply because it is too dark!!

If you look at the previous page (page 8) of this thread, you will see more details about the discussion.

My setting:

menu: standard

contrast: 78

brightness: 53 (in brighter room, the number should be a bit bigger)

Color: 49 (DVD HDMI input), 36 (Settop input)

sharpness: 40

color temperature: WARM (recommended by this link to achieve close to D6500K industry standard color temperature. http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmat...0u-review.html)

color management: off

MPEG NR: off

Hope you find it helpful.

Attached my previous discussion here on how to set up the correct brightness setting.

"PI, a thing to add though, I just went to one of the dark scene with lots of details in the shadow/dark (Superman Return DVD). Turned down the brightness from 53 to 35, the loss of details is just not acceptable (On my TV, all details in the area gone anyway). So I doubt as I pointed out before your feeling of getting a "movie/CRT like picture" might have come at the cost of sacrificing details in the shadow areas to a degree which you may not be aware of.

Because everyone has different situations, to achieve the best brightness setting, I suggest you guys to do the same thing. It works even if you don't have DVE. Pick a dark scene with lots of details, if you are using brightness 35, increase to 53 and see how much more details it brings up (I bet you will be surprised). If not much more details, you can keep it at 35.

Basically the best brightness setting is the lowest possible setting while maintaining all necessary details in the dark/shadow area. "

Thank you Persian for your time and effort in getting this set to the best it can. It was one of the main reasons I bought the set. Do the think you could do the same for a 50" Fuji :blink: . Never seen any settings around for this. I have contacted Aaron to calibrate it but he doesn't know when he will get to Adelaide. I think I will get the Pana done as well at the same time. It would be an interesting exercise to see how the settings compare.

Cheers, Dean

Dean you could buy the digital video essentials calibration dvd yourself from JB's and calibrate it yourself.Cost about $28 from memory.

Even though I was using Persians settings I still bought it and went through the process myself.My results were very very close to Persians apart from contrast which I preferred a bit higher from memory.

If you calibrated your Fuji 50" with the DVE disc I am sure there would be forum members interested in your calibration settings.

Cheers Cooksta.

• 9 months later...

Hi All.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I thought someone here might have some advice.

I have a PV500A and have recently had some strange screen flicking issues, particularly with Foxtel. The TV loses picture, the screen goes black and HDMI is displayed in the top left corner. This lasts for a few seconds and then it finds the signal again and all is ok. It generally happens when switching between channels, but can happen when just viewing normally (especially on the Fox Sports channels). It appears to be happening more and more frequently, almost every 3rd channel change will lose signal.

My setup is as follows:

Foxtel Digital IQ >Component> Yamaha RX-V1600 Receiver >HDMI> Pana PV500A

I'm running it through the receiver in order to take advantage of it's video upscalling abilities, but the problem occurs even when upscalling is turned off. This has ocurred with two different Foxtel IQ boxes.

Any opinions on what might be the issue? Bad cable? Bad TV? Bad receiver?

Anyone else had a similar issue?