Calibration advice for Pana TH-42PV500A

All I wanted to do was lower the brightness a bit, and it started a whole week almost of fiddling with the settings. Last night and today I found I still needed to lower the Color setting a bit with my new Brightness settings.

Hi Persian,

I find that once you've found the right brightness setting, (darkest part of a quality dark picture the same as 4:3 black side pillar bars (pause with a pvr, switch 16:9 to 4:3)) it remains stable.

It's when I play around with the contrast that the colour needs to change, ie. more contrast = more colour (because it's washed out in the extra light) & less contrast = less colour.

Regards,

Chris

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, Brightness and Contrast are not a problem, I've set those to a level I like. What I meant was that once you adjust Contrast or Brightness, it alters the appearance of color, and since I had set color to what I thought was "right" before, a simple reduction in Brightness resulted in having to redo the color setting again, which is very difficult to get right.

I also used to think that it was just Contrast changes which impact on color, but changing Brightness alone also requires some color fiddling - at least in my eyes. I've had to reduce the Color after lowering brightness.

Furthermore, as I discovered last night, it turns out I had the Color Matrix incorrectly set to SD not HD for my Component source, and fixing that has also given me a real boost in image quality, but also necessitating a color reshuffle. For the moment the settings I've posted further above seem to be holding for me as both smooth and natural, and at the right level of brightness for my eyes.

Yep, Brightness and Contrast are not a problem, I've set those to a level I like. What I meant was that once you adjust Contrast or Brightness, it alters the appearance of color, and since I had set color to what I thought was "right" before, a simple reduction in Brightness resulted in having to redo the color setting again, which is very difficult to get right.

I also used to think that it was just Contrast changes which impact on color, but changing Brightness alone also requires some color fiddling - at least in my eyes. I've had to reduce the Color after lowering brightness.

Furthermore, as I discovered last night, it turns out I had the Color Matrix incorrectly set to SD not HD for my Component source, and fixing that has also given me a real boost in image quality, but also necessitating a color reshuffle. For the moment the settings I've posted further above seem to be holding for me as both smooth and natural, and at the right level of brightness for my eyes.

How do I change DVD component input on AV2, Colour Matrix from SD to HD. My TH 50 PV has this line grayed out.

Invercom2001

Seems like it. I have my DVD player (normal player, not upscaling) connected via component to AV4 and this option is definitely there and available to change, and the difference betwee HD and SD color matrix is very noticeable. Basically the SD matrix shows more oversaturation and the colors are more clearly graded, whereas HD color is smoother and more natural (obviously using more colors for the same scene).

The thing is that my DVD player is SD, it's just a plain Sony player with no upscaling, so it's just outputing 576 lines via a standard DSE Component cable.

The only things I can remember doing recently which may have triggered the Plasma to allow HD was that firstly I switching the progressive scan off then back on (physical switch on the back of the player which I flicked off/on). And I also recently played an NTSC DVD. Maybe one of these triggered the Plasma to recognise the device as HD (since SD is 480 lines in the US, perhaps it redetected Australia's 576 lines as effectively HD?).

Again though the change in color matrix is noticeable when switched between SD to HD and back, so it's not just a placebo effect.

Seems like it. I have my DVD player (normal player, not upscaling) connected via component to AV4 and this option is definitely there and available to change, and the difference betwee HD and SD color matrix is very noticeable. Basically the SD matrix shows more oversaturation and the colors are more clearly graded, whereas HD color is smoother and more natural (obviously using more colors for the same scene).

Persian, you are right. It is looking for a progressive signal at any scan rate. Changed the Pioneer 676A to Progressive and this fixed it.

Thanks

Interesting, looks like there is a benefit to using Progressive on the player itself rather than just letting the TV's progressive kick in :blink:

Anyway try out the latest settings I posted as they're currently doing fine by me, very happy with the colors in particular as they're quite natural but still quite rich. It might be different for you because your set has slightly higher contrast ratio, but it's a starting point.

Interesting, looks like there is a benefit to using Progressive on the player itself rather than just letting the TV's progressive kick in :D

Anyway try out the latest settings I posted as they're currently doing fine by me, very happy with the colors in particular as they're quite natural but still quite rich. It might be different for you because your set has slightly higher contrast ratio, but it's a starting point.

Hi PersianImmortal - I would strongly recommend turning ON Progressive scan on your DVD player - the picture does look so much better and smoother, despite what the panel is doing. I should be getting my HD Viera tomorrow and will try your settings :blink:

I dont think that you require an upscaler DVD player - the new Viera has a 1080p scaler chip! Can anyone comment on how the PQ is on the new Viera with SD DVD (component cables) ?

cheers,

Silkman

Anyone um tried got any setting for foxtel via component? Or just chuck in anything, it will always look crap:)

PI settings are awesome, I am using the HDMI/DVI setting on both my DVD and STB connected via HDMI. The STB is basically perfect but I need to play around with the DVD settings a bit more - still seems a bit bright and artificial.

Thanks PI!

Hi PersianImmortal - I would strongly recommend turning ON Progressive scan on your DVD player - the picture does look so much better and smoother, despite what the panel is doing. I should be getting my HD Viera tomorrow and will try your settings :blink:

I dont think that you require an upscaler DVD player - the new Viera has a 1080p scaler chip! Can anyone comment on how the PQ is on the new Viera with SD DVD (component cables) ?

cheers,

Silkman

PQ on TH-50PV60A is as follows:

HD content via Topfield 7000, HDMI (Kordz) is outstanding.

Upscaled SD DVD via Denon 3910, HDMI is very good

SD DVD via Pioneer 767A set to progressive and component (Canare) is OK

You can see the difference when you use DVD's transferred from original content filmed in HD/Digital

To be realistic you need a DVD player with Progressive/HDMI as the TH-50PV60A does not have a DVI input. Only 2xHDMI

You need a high quality source and material to get the best from the Viera. Maybe wait until Spetember for a Blue Ray player.

I know this isnt very helpful, but think of it as 'real-world' experience.

Foxtel + Vierra = crap to acceptable.

DVD (HDMI+upscale) + Vierra = Holy hell!

Watching Gladiator at 1080i, I thought I was looking at a battle through a window. Unreal PQ.

are these the best run in settings?

Component (DVD)

Mode: Standard

Contrast: 78

Brightness: 35

Color: 58

Sharpness: 9

Color Temp: Standard

Color Management: Off

D.PNR: Off

MPEG NR: Off

Color Matrix: HD

Ch Color Set: Middle

I have just purchased the Panasonic TH-42PV60A (HD Viera) and it is one hell of an awesome panel :D. Best I have seen :blink: . Some people have mentioned about running in settings, but I have not bothered - I have seen NO image retention issues at all on this plasma. I have used, as a reference point, PersianImmortal's settings and then started adjusting them to suit my preferences. I found that these setting were very good but IMHO I found the picture a bit "soft" and lacked high contrast. Nevertheless they are an excellent starting point and very much appreciated.

I am using the following settings for a DSE DTR-8000 HDSTB (DVI - > HDMI cable) - Callibrated using the Channel 9 HD loop at 720p.

My aim was to obtain a PQ with natural skin tones (no oversaturation) and have excellent contrasts, especially in the Blacks and whites.

UNDER Picture Menu

MENU - DYNAMIC

Contrast - 78 (I would say this is pretty much spot on)

Brightness - 40 (although low, it works a treat with the above contrast)

Colour - 30 (even though low, the colours are natural, yet vivid and not oversatuated)

Sharpness - 40 (no edge enhancement and picture looks smooth)

Colour temp - standard (found this the most natural colour setting)

Colour mangement - off

MPEG NR - off

UNDER Set up

Channel colour set - mid

Colour Matrix -HD

Side panel -high

My viewing distance is approx 3 meters.

I am astounded on how good the PQ is - it is like viewing through a window.

Now for my DVD settings, but I am still experimenting :P

If someone could try these settings (for HDSTB viewing) and comment that will be great!

cheers,

Silkman

Ok here's something I've been toying with. I got annoyed by the amount of digital noise on SD television on my HDSTB (DVI->HDMI connection).

So I figured I would set MPEG Noise Reduction (NR) to Mid, and increase my Sharpness to 28 (from 9) to compensate. It appears that this gives the best of both worlds - a smoother noise-free image on all channels, but the increased sharpness prevents the image looking too blurry or indistinct. The noise reduction on the Pana is actually quite mild yet effective. It's something worth experimenting with in any case.

I haven't enabled any noise reduction for my DVD source since it is already quite clear and crisp. Only the standard def channels on digital TV which are plagued by subtle blocky artifacts.

/EDIT: Scratch that, went to Weak MPEG NR, raised sharpness to 35, and oddly enough I had to drop Color a couple of notches to 38 to keep things natural just from the change in Sharpness!

Ok here's something I've been toying with. I got annoyed by the amount of digital noise on SD television on my HDSTB (DVI->HDMI connection).

So I figured I would set MPEG Noise Reduction (NR) to Mid, and increase my Sharpness to 28 (from 9) to compensate. It appears that this gives the best of both worlds - a smoother noise-free image on all channels, but the increased sharpness prevents the image looking too blurry or indistinct. The noise reduction on the Pana is actually quite mild yet effective. It's something worth experimenting with in any case.

I haven't enabled any noise reduction for my DVD source since it is already quite clear and crisp. Only the standard def channels on digital TV which are plagued by subtle blocky artifacts.

/EDIT: Scratch that, went to Weak MPEG NR, raised sharpness to 35, and oddly enough I had to drop Color a couple of notches to 38 to keep things natural just from the change in Sharpness!

PersianImmortal, have you tried my settings as above? :D You are 100% correct that changing one parameter affects the others -you are a tweaker, just like me. Tweaking is a disease :blink:

We are in search of the "perfect" settings -lucky the Pana has independent settings for each input.

BTW do you have your STB at 720p or 1080i?

cheers,

Silkman

Silkman I did try your settings, however for some reason the Brightness was a little too low for me. A lot of things like dark hair etc. start too look too indistinct and undetailed when I set it that low. For me a Brightness of 42-43 seems to be the sweet spot.

Sharpness of 40 introduces too much grain to the image for me, so that's why I'm playing around with noise reduction. We have to accept that Standard Def TV is pretty crap quality, but for some reason I've now decided I want it to look as flawless as possible, even if that means a bit of MPEG NR.

At the moment I'm settling on around Weak MPEG NR combined with 35 Sharpness, and for some unknown reason changing the sharpness has thrown out the colors, so I gradually came down to a Color of around 33but I'm still not 100% happy yet.

My STB is at 720P.

I'm still not 100% happy yet.

My STB is at 720P.

:blink: I told you tweaking is a disease! Why dont you use 1080i on your STB? I used to use 720p on my SD TEAC, but 1080i is a fraction better on the Panasonic Viera - go figure? Still tweaking the DVD settings ATM - I would really like to try upscaled DVD on this plasma, must be incredible.

Dont forget I am using Dynamic not Standard setting -so the brightness issue may be related to using standard?

Keep on tweaking!

cheers,

Silkman

What's the use of having upscaled DVD player if the panel already has 1080p processor?

I think it might be better when the trickery is done at the source (DVD) than the destination (TV). That seems to be the general feeling I've gotten from the forum. I ain't no expert though!

I think it might be better when the trickery is done at the source (DVD) than the destination (TV). That seems to be the general feeling I've gotten from the forum. I ain't no expert though!

This is THE dilemma, buy an upscaler DVD player like the new Pioneer DV696AVS? -

http://www.pioneer.com.au/products/home_en...neer%20DV696AVS

But on page 39 of the downloadable manual it states "progressive scan video can only be output from the component video jacks" WTF? what is being output on HDMI then? So your plasma has to take an interlaced signal (480i/576i) and upscale it to 720p or 1080i? Sheesh is this confusing or what? :blink:

cheers,

Silkman