Sign in to follow this  
Dexx1503560195

Plasma burn in?

i would not be to worried,i have only had my pana 600a a few weeks and my son has cricket on all the time,

also i watch a lot of movies with black bars on top and bottom,and i have never seen any image at all.

all i do is keep bright and contrast under half which i think looks better anyway.

I must admit being concerned about this too, my new plasma arrives tomorrow, the cricket will be on and I will be watching it, AND they have that stupid blue and white nine logo on all the time, should I be worried?

Logo burn-in is total media hype! the logo's are physically not capable of burning in because every ad break they go away

in my opinion "burn in" is 10% reality 90% media hype

I agree. I have a 4 y.o. SD Samsung plasma, it must have close to 15,000 hours on it. (now reaching its expected lifespan?). I always run it on the most enjoyable settings. My son plays his xBox on it occassionally. The panel is still as bright, and the picture as dynamic as when it was new. It has uniform backgrounds - definitely no burn-in.

Recently I have purchased a 50" Pana PX600a. Already clocked over 1000 hrs, and I am simply enjoying its potential out of the box. No "run-in" settings. (and yes, I watched all cricket matches on it with no ill effects).

I reckon, I paid too much money for it, to run it on low dark settings, or to stretch 4:3, or 1:78 pictures and to wonder what the picture might have looked like, if the TV was set correctly, and to contemplate just how many minutes did I just take out of its lifespan. After all, the panel is expected to last for at least 60,000 hrs. What's that? 20 years? More? Do I really want to keep it for 20 years and beyond as my primary display? How old was my previous TV before I replaced it?

The technology might (and will) change so dramatically within that time...

What will the value and price of comparable TV sets be in 10-20 years time? $1000? $500? Less?

(look at CRT prices nowadays, or the prices of the earlier plasmas)

If the bright, vivid picture settings caused damage, most plasmas on display in the shops, running at least 12 hrs a day on highest settings out of the box, would definitely be seriously damaged goods within a few weeks.

I'd say, simply enjoy your TV. It was designed to give you pleasurable viewing with normal lighting conditions and not only the dark room. That's what you paid for. Just use common sense though, and don't abuse your TV.

All this run-in and burn-in paranoia is driving me nuts.

My 2 cents.

Logo burn-in is total media hype! the logo's are physically not capable of burning in because every ad break they go away

I still get a slight retention of the logo/scoreboard after lengthy viewing. It is hard to spot, and goes away, so its technically not burn in. Its worth it when we are 3-0 and Gilly was going mental!!!

I have a 42" NEC PlasmaSync Monitor (42VP4DG) purchased in September 2003. It only supports 853x480. It's connected to a Toshiba HD Receiver (HD-S25), a Toshiba HDD/DVD Video Recorder (RD-XS32SG), a Bose Lifestyle 8 stereo system (not surround sound, unfortunately), a Loewe VCR and Foxtel (through Optus) Digital Cable (installed in October 2005). Just in the last two weeks the monitor has started showing signs of what I think is plasma burn. (sob!) :blink:

There is some image retention, particularly when it is displaying lighter backgrounds eg commercials with white or yellow backgrounds have bright patches that sometimes fade away after a few seconds & other times don't. Also, white backgrounds in B&W movies now have a yucky yellowish tone (really apparent in some scenes of "A Hard Day's Night" that we were watching on DVD last night - what a laugh that film is!). It's also noticeable in outdoor scenes that show blue skies and when watching the cricket, the pitch appears to have a purplish tinge. Otherwise, on darker backgrounds or with fast moving images, it's not that noticeable (well, not much). It appears to be retaining the vertical sidebars from 4x3 programs that we watch on pay TV so this sounds like classic plasma burn from my online research.

I've tried to adjust the contrast and brightness levels on the monitor but it seems to do little good in minimising the problem - it just makes the picture look a bit murky and less sharp. I've also fiddled with the various anti-burning controls in the on-screen menu but to no avail. It just seems to be getting worse every day to my eyes.

While I admit that we do watch a fair bit of TV (including lots of stuff on pay TV), I can't help being rather disappointed that it's developed this condition in just over 3 years, particularly when we paid friggin' $8000 for it!! However, the NEC manual does say that "The life of brightness in this model, defined as the reduction to half the initial level, is more than 10000 hours on average" and I estimate that our monitor has probably done around 12000 hours so far. We've just worn it out already, I guess.

I've spoken to the store from which we bought it (Stereo Supplies in Qld) and they told us there's not much we can do to fix the problem. They said that an NEC technician would charge us $100 just to tell us the same thing and advised me that I should consider upgrading to an LCD TV with integrated HD (1920x1080) tuner.

I checked out the Sony Bravia X Series LCDs in Myer last week and they were truly lovely, particularly the 52" model ($9999) which was running a Blu-Ray demo disc at the time and looked simply spectacular. The guy at Stereo Supplies recommended a Schaub Lorenz ($3999 for the 42" & $5499 for the 47") which are less expensive than the 2 similar but smaller Sony models (40" & 46" at $4999 & $6499 respectively).

Great! Another $4000-5500 thousand (at least) and I was trying to save up to go overseas this year! However, I am an unrepentant TV junkie and I do like my high-end audio-visual equipment, so I'll probably be getting a new flat screen sooner rather than later.

Edited by eviltwin

I sympathise, spent just under 4k last year on a 37inch LCD and comparable units are now less than 2k. It's a bit like computers - 12 years ago I saved and saved and became the proud owner of a pentium 2 with not 16, not 32 but 64 mb of RAM and a 2.2 gig hard drive. Over 2 grand's worth. Went to the dump 4 years ago. TV's aren't as extreme as that, but I take comfort from the fact that when colour tvs came out in the UK and shortly afterwards in AUS, typical price was about 400 pounds and typical (good) wages were about 40 pounds a week.

Compare that to what you can get for 10 times average pay today and it's not such a bad deal, really.

Mates

I have a dilema here, hope you guys can help.

I am planning a new TV for myself and family.

Dad will watch lots of teletext in daytime and I wil use it for movies at night.

I have read a lot on burn-in, image retention and I am concerned about the likelihood with continuous teletext use in the daytime.

My likely purchases are the 50" Pioneer 507 and the Sharp 46" or 52" Aquos.

I like the plasma PQ better, but given that it will be frequently used for teletext and regular TV (and my dad tends to fall asleep in front of the telly).

I understand the LCDs are less prone to burn but will they be good enough for fast moving action?

Any opinions on the burn in and TV choice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Pete

Mates

I have read a lot on burn-in, image retention and I am concerned about the likelihood with continuous teletext use in the daytime.

My likely purchases are the 50" Pioneer 507 and the Sharp 46" or 52" Aquos.

I like the plasma PQ better, but given that it will be frequently used for teletext and regular TV (and my dad tends to fall asleep in front of the telly).

I understand the LCDs are less prone to burn but will they be good enough for fast moving action?

Any opinions on the burn in and TV choice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Pete

you can't have your cake and eat it too unfortunately!

as I understand it - lcd still isn't quite up to plasma with action.

plasma can suffer slight burn in but you really should go throught this thread from the beginning as I did to learn about it. I have had my new pana plasma for 2 weeks and have no issues as I have reduced the picture settings to half and have been careful with static images.

having said that, the wife has no idea and has watched whatever she wants and we have not suffered any image retention.

you can find plenty of info on tv choices in the following threads also - I'm afraid you won't get much assistance here with your question.

Fujitsu has the orbitron screen which moves the image 3mm every 15mins, thus basically null and voiding the burn in factor.

lg have a similar feature called the orbitor, plus the lg has the white wash function which removes ghosting. i left a dvd title screen on lg plasma for 5 hours, and the white wash removed the ghosting and there was no burn in.

in my opinion "burn in" is 10% reality 90% media hype

The orbitron screen does not prevent a static image if you think about it. The middle of a logo is not 3mm from the outer edge of the logo so moving the image slightly only blurs the deges it does not prevent a patch from being burnt-in, it really is just a gimmick.

Having said that burn-in isn't a huge issue, but I do get some image retention. I get it on the 4:3 borders and also when I have run my AVR menu to screen doing a setup or playing with the settings. Overall though I watched much of the Test cricket with no problem and people shouldn't be afraid of burn-in.

It's a bit like computers - 12 years ago I saved and saved and became the proud owner of a pentium 2 with not 16, not 32 but 64 mb of RAM and a 2.2 gig hard drive. Over 2 grand's worth.

For a bit of nostalgia, when I started out as a graduate engineer I bought for work a 10-MB Winchester harddrive, $5K equivalent to 3 months' salary. Nowadays 3 months of a graduate engineer's salary buys around 20,000 Gigabytes of diskspace. That's 2-million folds increase from 10-MB, incredible isn't it ?!

For a bit of nostalgia, when I started out as a graduate engineer I bought for work a 10-MB Winchester harddrive, $5K equivalent to 3 months' salary. Nowadays 3 months of a graduate engineer's salary buys around 20,000 Gigabytes of diskspace. That's 2-million folds increase from 10-MB, incredible isn't it ?!
Some of us even remember PDP 11's and HP 1000's (Before PCs)!! :blink:

Anyone else getting image retention/ screen burn from the Channel 7 logo on the Tennis which they have conveniently made bright solid white?

Some of us even remember PDP 11's and HP 1000's (Before PCs)!! :blink:

Had to use a card reader on an Apple II and a System 36 IBM mainframe. Getting too old!

Anyone else getting image retention/ screen burn from the Channel 7 logo on the Tennis which they have conveniently made bright solid white?

You know it. Image retention on the Plasma. :blink:

You know it. Image retention on the Plasma. :blink:
Which plasma?

Hey Guys,

I have the Panasonic TH42PV69A and havnt had any burn in issues but have seen some image retention.

For instance, we were watching a movie and the Dolby Digital ad came on first which was the caves one, the start of the movie was a dark screen and for about 10 seconds (possibly more) you could still see the Dolby Symbol on the screen, sames happened for Xbox media centre logo and evolution x (homer), the image was retained on dark screens untill some action scenes were played. This retention really only seems to happen after the plasma has been first turned on.....like warming up......does this sound normal that you would get a retained image for 10 seconds after it was only on the screen for about 5 seconds or so???

Had to use a card reader on an Apple II and a System 36 IBM mainframe. Getting too old!

System 36 wasn't a mainframe, System 38 was.

I used to write Cobol programs for a system 36, had a 640K program size limit :blink:

I used to write Cobol programs for a system 36, had a 640K program size limit :D

Sorry you are right, see my memory is going too :blink:

I have noticed the channel 7 logo, this is the same problem as last year. I'm not sure whether its burn in or image retention. Hope they change the logo for the AFL!

I used to write Cobol programs for a system 36, had a 640K program size limit :blink:

Systems 34, 36 & 38 were the great grandfather of the AS400, which became the iSeries and now System i.

The mainframe was a different system altogether, as the System 3x were classified as minicomputers.

Systems 34, 36 & 38 were the great grandfather of the AS400, which became the iSeries and now System i.

The mainframe was a different system altogether, as the System 3x were classified as minicomputers.

This thread was in regards to burnin/image retention right???

:blink:..just kiddin

This has mostly been posted/and spoken about before....but....When I first got my Philips Plasma a few months back I was paranoid as hell in regards to burnin. Ran all settings at half, made sure I filled the screen etc etc etc.

I use to see some image retention from bright logo's etc, and mistakenly though this was burnin. (until I realised it would disappear after watching something else for a little while).

Now that the screen is mostly run-in, I do not bother worrying anymore. I think that the burnin issue is mostly media hype, and from early generation panels. I think unless you do something really silly like leaving stationary images on for days on end, you shouldn't worry too much.

Burnin affects all display devices to some extent if you don't take the appropriate precautions......yes even lcd and crt!!!

So like others have stated, don't be too caught up with the whole burnin issue.....relax and enjoy the brilliant pictures......I definately am. I think plasma still holds a substanial lead in the flat panel stakes.....very glad I didn't go LCD in this size!!!

SDL how do you find your Klipsch speakers with your Harman gear???

(I have a Harman/Kardon AVR-7300 and looking to upgrade speakers, like the Klipsch just don't know if will be too bright for music???)

SDL how do you find your Klipsch speakers with your Harman gear???

(I have a Harman/Kardon AVR-7300 and looking to upgrade speakers, like the Klipsch just don't know if will be too bright for music???)

This thread was in regards to burnin/image retention right???

:blink: ..just kiddin

I am :blink: .

I just realised it last night after watching the tennis from last week. It just won't go away, even after I watched DVD for a couple of hours and other channels for a few hours.

What should I do now? Help!

Edit: I notice the image retention only shows on white/bright background. It doesn't show on dark/black background.

What should I do now? Help!

That is bad news .... sorry to hear.

How about a boycott campaign against any station doing that.

I'm amazed with all the advanced video technologies available, why can't the stations move the logo & scoreboard to a different corner every few minutes?!! There must be a technical reason not able to or they are just arrogantly ignorant of the problems caused.

It's getting worse, much worse.

I tried to run JScreenFix (WARNING! Do not run the program, I take no responsibility for any damage to your plasma!) to fix the problem, but I now have three huge vertical black bars on the panel!

I guess I have to call the Panasonic service agent tomorrow. And I bet they will take it away for weeks to repair.

All this because of stupid channel 7. But the network will just blame the tv manufacturer for not designing burn-proof tv's. They're both to blame.

So it is not a myth after all, newest generation plasmas are still not burn/image retention proof!

So much for getting the much-appraised Pana PV60A. I wish I still have my old but trusty Philips SD. I'll take reliability over PQ any day.