Sign in to follow this  
Dexx1503560195

Plasma burn in?

Here is my email and response from Panasonic Australia. I have followed up with a question about colour watermarks (fox sports et al)

"I would like to clarify if the plasma screen I have purchased requires a "run in" period which I have read about on numerous home theatre forums, both Australian based and overseas. These forums suggest that brightness and contrast be kept below 50 for the first 100-200 hours, and that a picture that fills the screen be used as well. In addition, it is suggested that channel logos may "burn in" to my plasma screen if I watch channels that have these (I do, as I have Austar, and all commercial networks have them on 24/7 - apart from ad breaks. If you could clarify this for me, it would be greatly appreciated. xxxxx NSW Australia"

Their reply

Dear BC27,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Panasonic with your enquiry.

The required run in time for Plasma TV's and Panels is not need for Panasonic Plasma. These units are run in in the Factory as part of the normal Testing.

The channel logos displayed by the TV broadcasters in normally a very soft white, This low colour image will take a very long time to be burnt onto a Screen. The following details are explained in the operators manual.

Remember not to keep still pictures on the screen for extended lengths of time

Such still pictures cause after-images on the plasma screen if they are displayed for a long time. These after-images are not considered malfunctions and are not covered by the warranty. To decrease the chance of after-images, a screen saver will be automatically activated after a few minutes if there is no signal and if there is no operation in AV mode. The screen saver will be automatically deactivated when a signal is detected or an operation is executed.

I'll let you know of their next reply when it comes.

Cheers

BC27

I have the Panasonic 500A and have never experienced any burn-in or image retention. However I do find the whole concept of the Panasonic screensaver pointless. It will only activate when there is no signal being recieved but since there is no image in this circumstance, only a blank screen, then what is the point?

BC27

I have the Panasonic 500A and have never experienced any burn-in or image retention. However I do find the whole concept of the Panasonic screensaver pointless. It will only activate when there is no signal being recieved but since there is no image in this circumstance, only a blank screen, then what is the point?

Great to hear David! And I agree . .. . . .a screensaver that activates after no signal is a waste of time!

Cheers

However I do find the whole concept of the Panasonic screensaver pointless. It will only activate when there is no signal being recieved but since there is no image in this circumstance, only a blank screen, then what is the point?

Maybe it's to make it obvious that the screen is still on.

Here is my email and response from Panasonic Australia. I have followed up with a question about colour watermarks (fox sports et al)

"I would like to clarify if the plasma screen I have purchased requires a "run in" period which I have read about on numerous home theatre forums, both Australian based and overseas. These forums suggest that brightness and contrast be kept below 50 for the first 100-200 hours, and that a picture that fills the screen be used as well. In addition, it is suggested that channel logos may "burn in" to my plasma screen if I watch channels that have these (I do, as I have Austar, and all commercial networks have them on 24/7 - apart from ad breaks. If you could clarify this for me, it would be greatly appreciated. xxxxx NSW Australia"

Their reply

Dear BC27,

The required run in time for Plasma TV's and Panels is not need for Panasonic Plasma. These units are run in in the Factory as part of the normal Testing.

The channel logos displayed by the TV broadcasters in normally a very soft white, This low colour image will take a very long time to be burnt onto a Screen. The following details are explained in the operators manual.

Remember not to keep still pictures on the screen for extended lengths of time

Such still pictures cause after-images on the plasma screen if they are displayed for a long time. These after-images are not considered malfunctions and are not covered by the warranty. To decrease the chance of after-images, a screen saver will be automatically activated after a few minutes if there is no signal and if there is no operation in AV mode. The screen saver will be automatically deactivated when a signal is detected or an operation is executed.

I'll let you know of their next reply when it comes.

Cheers

Thanks for taking the time to do that. Being a new Panasonic Plasma owner it was reassuring to read.

Thanks for taking the time to do that. Being a new Panasonic Plasma owner it was reassuring to read.

I also got a phone call yesterday (not from an OS call centre!!!!) letting me know about Fox Sports 1,2,3 and Fox 8 which have highly coloured watermarks. He quoted from the manual ( as has been listed here) but then I asked about watching the cricket. He said that for image burn in to occur, that I would have to leave it on the channel for up to 2 hours without their being a break from the logo. He also said that each ad break gives the screen a rest, so the 2 hours starts again when it comes on. He added it was very unlikely that Fox Sports would let anything run for 2 hours without an ad (he must have Fox Sports too! hehehe)

He said to be sure, don't have the contrast wound right up, and have a flick every half our or so. I can live with that!

He told me that the commercial channels had toned theirs down as requested by all manufacturers, but Pay TV hadn't. Having said that, I have noticed that Fox 8 is now a light blue, rather than a more in your face coulour it used to be.

Also, in the manual p14-15 for Th-PV4260A, when in the setup menu, it says to have the "side panel" set to high, to prevent "after image".

Hope this helps everyone

Cheers

I also got a phone call yesterday (not from an OS call centre!!!!) letting me know about Fox Sports 1,2,3 and Fox 8 which have highly coloured watermarks. He quoted from the manual ( as has been listed here) but then I asked about watching the cricket. He said that for image burn in to occur, that I would have to leave it on the channel for up to 2 hours without their being a break from the logo. He also said that each ad break gives the screen a rest, so the 2 hours starts again when it comes on. He added it was very unlikely that Fox Sports would let anything run for 2 hours without an ad (he must have Fox Sports too! hehehe)

He said to be sure, don't have the contrast wound right up, and have a flick every half our or so. I can live with that!

He told me that the commercial channels had toned theirs down as requested by all manufacturers, but Pay TV hadn't. Having said that, I have noticed that Fox 8 is now a light blue, rather than a more in your face coulour it used to be.

Also, in the manual, when in the setup menu, it says to hav the "side panel" set to high, to prevent "after image".

Hope this helps everyone

Cheers

Thanks BC27.

With regard to the contrast setting though what would be considered ramped right up? I currently have mine set in the low 70s is this too high?

I will make sure i check my side panel setting tonight

Thanks BC27.

With regard to the contrast setting though what would be considered ramped right up? I currently have mine set in the low 70s is this too high?

I will make sure i check my side panel setting tonight

The bloke was not able to give an answer to that ( I did ask). He said that there were too many variables that would affect how people set up their screens, and that it would be difficult to cover all contingencies (I disagreed with him on this). At the moment, I have all of mine stil less than 50, and I think it loks great. I haven't started tinkering yet.

jpcam, have you seen PersianImmortal's calibration thread?

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry449281

It's a good read, and I'll try some of his setting soon. His panel is the model before ours, so the menu setup isn't exactly the same.

I also set mine up using the THX video setup on The incredibles . .seemed to look good too, with the contrast in the 70's from memory.

Oh, and the sidebars make the sides of the screen go grey when watching 4"3 tv on the screen, but oly on FTA. On Austar, its black. We only have 2 digital channels here so far, so it won't be an issue by the end of the year (unless they put it back . .. again).

Is funny, I'm now rewatching all of my DVDs, they look so different from 16:9 squashed onto a 68cm 4:3 screen!

Loving it!

Cheers

I have read all of the posts here and most people seem to think that image retention/burn in is not a problem, or only temporary. I sincerly hope that is the case. I have the Hitachi 8900, and whilst the picture is amazing. I have burn in from watching too many movies with the black bars on the top and bottom. I have tried screen wipe, screens filled with static, have not used any material with the black bars anymore(I am scared to death to watch anything like that anymore in case it makes the problem worse. It is very noticeable any time there is a white or bright background. I think it has gotten slightly better over time. But at this point I would have a very hard time recommending the Hitachi to anyone. I had even read these post before I bought the tv and thought burn in was a thing of the past that only affected older tv's. I was wrong. I hope that it truly does fade over time. I am so disturbed by this. I had been waiting for two years to finally buy a plasma and now this has happened. Any help would be appreciated...

I have read all of the posts here and most people seem to think that image retention/burn in is not a problem, or only temporary. I sincerly hope that is the case. I have the Hitachi 8900, and whilst the picture is amazing. I have burn in from watching too many movies with the black bars on the top and bottom. I have tried screen wipe, screens filled with static, have not used any material with the black bars anymore(I am scared to death to watch anything like that anymore in case it makes the problem worse. It is very noticeable any time there is a white or bright background. I think it has gotten slightly better over time. But at this point I would have a very hard time recommending the Hitachi to anyone. I had even read these post before I bought the tv and thought burn in was a thing of the past that only affected older tv's. I was wrong. I hope that it truly does fade over time. I am so disturbed by this. I had been waiting for two years to finally buy a plasma and now this has happened. Any help would be appreciated...

I've had that issue on my panasonic, its only temporary. I notice it more with the bars on the side of the screen when the ratio changes. I normally put the settings to 4:3 full if possible, but sometimes its terrible watching people all stretched out.

I think its ridiculous to pay so much money and have to stress every time I watch something in other than full screen, and now I dont even play the xbox 360 on it after getting temporary retention of a speedometer. It is frustrating because every salesperson tells you burn in/retention is a thing of the past - "we are on to x generation panels now" etc etc. Whilst I'm impressed with my tv in every other way, this is an area I'd love to see some improvement in.

Cheers

I think the recommendation is to use the screen wipe set to the maximum duration. The fact that Hitachi has the function I think proves that retention has not been eliminated.

Their reply

Dear BC27,

Guess Panasonic were telling fibs. My panel has 7 hours on it (which is how long I've used it for). Hmmm, guess I should use some break in settings then, bugger.

Really, really dumb question guys - and I would be grateful for any advice.

Received my Pana 42" 600A and am over the moon with the picture quality. The picture quality far exceeded my expectations.

However, this is the first widescreen TV I have owned (this is replacing my 51cm CRT!) and I note that DVDs such as Lord of the Rings have black bands above and below the picture when I'm watching them. Is this normal? I thought 16:9 meant that the picture would fill the whole screen? Whilst I can use the zoom function to fill the screen, I wasn't sure if that was what I was supposed to do.

More importantly, if I watch native DVDs with the black bands above and below the picture - will there be any issues with burn-in? I would be fuming if this was the case - I mean, what would be the purpose of buying a plasma if you couldn't enjoy it watching DVDs?

Again, this is probably a dumb questions, but I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

Received my Pana 42" 600A and am over the moon with the picture quality. The picture quality far exceeded my expectations.

However, this is the first widescreen TV I have owned (this is replacing my 51cm CRT!) and I note that DVDs such as Lord of the Rings have black bands above and below the picture when I'm watching them. Is this normal? I thought 16:9 meant that the picture would fill the whole screen? Whilst I can use the zoom function to fill the screen, I wasn't sure if that was what I was supposed to do.

More importantly, if I watch native DVDs with the black bands above and below the picture - will there be any issues with burn-in? I would be fuming if this was the case - I mean, what would be the purpose of buying a plasma if you couldn't enjoy it watching DVDs?

Again, this is probably a dumb questions, but I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

I'm by no means an expert (not even close), so the best I can do is put your mind at rest a little and tell you that yes, it's normal to have the bars at the top and bottom. All I know is it has something to do with how the content is filmed (might just be a US thing, not sure). I guess it's not 16:9, but something else.

As for the burn-in, yes I expect it would cause it if left running for hours on end, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just lower your settings a little for the first 100 hours or so, and maybe flick channels after every movie if you're planning on watching a heap in a row. I wouldn't stress too much about it to be honest, I'm not :blink:

You were probably watching a 1.85:1 DVD which is made for the cinema,

I use the Zoom function on my DVD player to overcome this.

I also have a Zoom function on my new Pana plasma but havn't played with it much yet.

You were probably watching a 1.85:1 DVD which is made for the cinema,

I use the Zoom function on my DVD player to overcome this.

I also have a Zoom function on my new Pana plasma but havn't played with it much yet.

Won't you be chopping off the ends by doing this though?

Won't you be chopping off the ends by doing this though?

YES! It also tends to lower the resolution.

Thanks for your comments.

I ended up using the aspect setting to make it fill the screen (though it did look slightly the worse for it).

I can't wait till my 100 hours are up so that I can be a bit more adventurous! :blink:

Thanks for your comments.

I ended up using the aspect setting to make it fill the screen (though it did look slightly the worse for it).

I can't wait till my 100 hours are up so that I can be a bit more adventurous! :blink:

can i ask why the it's 100 hours :ph34r:

And what about Samsung panels? What makes those other ones more superior?

Fujitsu has the orbitron screen which moves the image 3mm every 15mins, thus basically null and voiding the burn in factor.

lg have a similar feature called the orbitor, plus the lg has the white wash function which removes ghosting. i left a dvd title screen on lg plasma for 5 hours, and the white wash removed the ghosting and there was no burn in.

in my opinion "burn in" is 10% reality 90% media hype

Fujitsu has the orbitron screen which moves the image 3mm every 15mins, thus basically null and voiding the burn in factor.

lg have a similar feature called the orbitor, plus the lg has the white wash function which removes ghosting. i left a dvd title screen on lg plasma for 5 hours, and the white wash removed the ghosting and there was no burn in.

in my opinion "burn in" is 10% reality 90% media hype

I agree. My Hitachi 8900 plasma is about 2 months old and I play it like a crt. Its lookin pretty resiliant so far.

I wish it was the case for my rear projector tho. I can't seem to find anything to get rid of the ghosting on it. It's been like that for 11 months now and I was hoping for someones input/advice to help fix it .

I agree. My Hitachi 8900 plasma is about 2 months old and I play it like a crt. Its lookin pretty resiliant so far.

I wish it was the case for my rear projector tho. I can't seem to find anything to get rid of the ghosting on it. It's been like that for 11 months now and I was hoping for someones input/advice to help fix it .

only other thing i have found that can (and this is no quarantee) remove some forms of ghosting is running a vibrant animation dvd for a day. just keep starting it again each time it finishes. a good one i used was ice age because of its high use of whites, it sort of does the same thing as white washing

I must admit being concerned about this too, my new plasma arrives tomorrow, the cricket will be on and I will be watching it, AND they have that stupid blue and white nine logo on all the time, should I be worried?