Sign in to follow this  
Dexx1503560195

Plasma burn in?

Hi All,

I just realised that my contrast has been set to 90 for the last week (standard mode on the ps63c7000)......i have now put it down to 60, would have I damaged my tv in this first week of use or should it be fine?

Thanks,

Its fine. My first plasma I left it on Dynamic right from the start and never had any problems.

You have a look at the plasmas in the shops, they have them playing every day with high contrast and I have never seen any burn in.

Hi All,

I just realised that my contrast has been set to 90 for the last week (standard mode on the ps63c7000)......i have now put it down to 60, would have I damaged my tv in this first week of use or should it be fine?

Thanks,

No: unless you had a static image on for the last week. If you put on a total white screen you can usually see any image retention.

My NEC 50" PX-50XR4W was terrible for image retention.

I call BS on that thread. "my friend" has severe burn-in.. yeah right, who posts for their friends tv problems. no mention of brand or model either.

Most manufacturers and insurance companies also exclude 'acts of god' from their policies too. Doesn't mean its anything to be concerned about though.

As far as I'm aware there is no prior history of plasma's reported as being susceptible to acts of god...

I can only relate my experience and advise that using some caution whilst the set is new costs you nothing (besides not quite as bright a picture when gaming to start with).

In my case I purchased Samsung 50inch b450. This panel is primarily used by the kids for 360 gaming but also used by me for watching FTA, AFL and movies via xbmc media centre etc on accassion. When I first bought the panel I did not touch the settings - think contrast was set at 85 or so. I pretty quickly started noticing some pretty heavy image retention from the static images on screen from games such as COD. I'm not just talking about stuff that disappears the next day either. Weeks later the images were still clearly visable and this is with normal FTA viewing mixed in with xbox gaming. My kids are never allowed longer than 2 hours on the xbox at a time so amount of time images are displayed is not excessive. Pixel shift is turned on at highest setting.

I'm not claiming these images are permanently burnt in at this point and I'm aware there is a grey wipe function which I have used on occassion however what I have seen so far is certainly enough from my perspective to advise some caution, particularly with a new panel.

Note - I also have the equivalent pana panel and have not seen anything similar over the 2.5 years of ownership (although also - this panel has never been used for xbox 360 gaming).

Its fine. My first plasma I left it on Dynamic right from the start and never had any problems.

You have a look at the plasmas in the shops, they have them playing every day with high contrast and I have never seen any burn in.

There is nothing wrong with using "Dynamic" settings apart from possible eye strain. The problem with using "Dynamic" settings is when displaying static images for long periods of time, e.g. don't fall asleep with your fav. game on with it's HUD in the corner... Also "Dynamic" will wear the panels phosphors quicker.

Temporary Image Retention (IR) is more likely than any burn in (permanent).

JSmith :ninja:

Hi all

I'm in a bit of a panic. I bought a new Samsung B650 Plasma on Friday. Now whilst the box was a bit ratty the contents seemed fine. All the doco and goodie bags were unopened. There were no finger prints anywhere etc.

So I plug it in when through the initial DEMO or HOME setup. Then dived pretty much straight to the menu where I:

Standard Mode

Reduce the Contrast to 20

Reduce the Brightness to 20

Reduce the Colour to 48

Dynamic contrast OFF

Basically ran through the menu and set it up. I then ran the screen break-in slides for 60 mins and then watched Avatar via my PS3.

Now I did notice some "smudges" on the right half of the screen pretty much top to bottom from the start of switching it on initially and didn't pay much attention. But last night I actually looked closer and can READ MENU WORDS! WHAT THE...!!

I made sure not to watch static logo shows for any length of time. In fact I hunted down shows without them to watch. Pretty boring. But this us the menu!

So now I'm running the slides again.

Is this temporary? Permanent? Is it a second hand TV or store demo?

Anyone have any thoughts? Would really be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi all

I'm in a bit of a panic. I bought a new Samsung B650 Plasma on Friday. Now whilst the box was a bit ratty the contents seemed fine. All the doco and goodie bags were unopened. There were no finger prints anywhere etc.

So I plug it in when through the initial DEMO or HOME setup. Then dived pretty much straight to the menu where I:

Standard Mode

Reduce the Colour to 48

Dynamic contrast OFF

Basically ran through the menu and set it up. I then ran the screen break-in slides for 60 mins and then watched Avatar via my PS3.

Now I did notice some "smudges" on the right half of the screen pretty much top to bottom from the start of switching it on initially and didn't pay much attention. But last night I actually looked closer and can READ MENU WORDS! WHAT THE...!!

I made sure not to watch static logo shows for any length of time. In fact I hunted down shows without them to watch. Pretty boring. But this us the menu!

So now I'm running the slides again.

Is this temporary? Permanent? Is it a second hand TV or store demo?

Anyone have any thoughts? Would really be appreciated.

Thank you.

unless it's a demo tv as you metioned the images are very likely to be temporary (although in my case temporary tends to mean a couple of weeks as the panel does not get a lot of use otherwise). I believe there is a way to view operating hours via the menu which would confirm or otherwise the Q of demo or not. Not sure how to bring this up but quick search on net should give you instructions.

I believe there is a way to view operating hours via the menu which would confirm or otherwise the Q of demo or not.

Anyone know the way into the Service Menu on the PS50B650S1?

I found this but I can't get any success.

# Turn the power off

# Press the {MUTE} {1} {8} {2} {POWER} buttons.

# The Service Menu will be displayed.

# Use the {UP} or {DOWN} buttons to select "PDP OPTION"

# Then press the {ENTER} button to access it.

# The hours used will be one of the items listed.

# To exit, press the {RETURN} button or turn the power off.

Edited by Sopmod

Help!

I seem to have gotten some mild Image Retention on my Pansonic 54S10A.

It appears to be from a Playstation 3 game which must have been left paused for a few hours.

It's only very very mild and I can only see it against the plain black screen by standing right in front of the set and looking for it.

Having said that I was wondering what the best way to correct it is?

I looked for a setting on the TV to remove burn in/retention but couldn't find anything.

Should I just leave the TV running an FTA channel for a few hours or is there a better way?

Thanks for your help.

Anyone know the way into the Service Menu on the PS50B650S1?

Start in standby then press info > menu > mute > power on :)

Hi all

Standard Mode

Reduce the Colour to 48

Dynamic contrast OFF

How can you watch a TV with settings like that? It will be VERY dull and have no shadow detail what so ever... terrible is the best description.

The "Brightness" control sets the black level of the display, it has no effect on burn in and can be calibrated properly from day one.

The "Contrast" control sets the white level of the display, its peak white level that must be constrained to minimise burn in and image retention risk. A setting of 70% should be fine on most Plasmas unless you view a lot of static images (game HUD's).

Edited by Owen

Help!

I seem to have gotten some mild Image Retention on my Pansonic 54S10A.

It appears to be from a Playstation 3 game which must have been left paused for a few hours.

It's only very very mild and I can only see it against the plain black screen by standing right in front of the set and looking for it.

Having said that I was wondering what the best way to correct it is?

I looked for a setting on the TV to remove burn in/retention but couldn't find anything.

Should I just leave the TV running an FTA channel for a few hours or is there a better way?

Thanks for your help.

It's not that unusual for Plasma to be able to see slight traces of static images on a plain black screen. Quite often the static image won't need to be displayed very long at all before it's visible against a black background. Just watch some FTA content for a while and it should clear fairly much as quickly as it appeared (or be replaced by something else :rolleyes: ). I read somewhere that Plasma manufacturer's won't acknowledge images visible on a plain black screen as image retention providing you can't also see them against normal program content or an all white screen for example.

It's not that unusual for Plasma to be able to see slight traces of static images on a plain black screen. Quite often the static image won't need to be displayed very long at all before it's visible against a black background. Just watch some FTA content for a while and it should clear fairly much as quickly as it appeared (or be replaced by something else :rolleyes: ). I read somewhere that Plasma manufacturer's won't acknowledge images visible on a plain black screen as image retention providing you can't also see them against normal program content or an all white screen for example.

After a couple of days of watching FTA it still appears to be there.

I applied it against a mostly white screen and could definately see some of the image on the bottom right of the screen however it is quite mild and would never really be noticed during normal viewing.

Should I try running the application listed on www.jscreenfix.com? Or am I over-reacting to this?

All up since I noticed the somewhat burnt in image I have used the screen for approximately 7 hours without again displaying that image and it still appears to be there.

Thanks for your help.

After a couple of days of watching FTA it still appears to be there.

I applied it against a mostly white screen and could definately see some of the image on the bottom right of the screen however it is quite mild and would never really be noticed during normal viewing.

Should I try running the application listed on www.jscreenfix.com? Or am I over-reacting to this?

All up since I noticed the somewhat burnt in image I have used the screen for approximately 7 hours without again displaying that image and it still appears to be there.

Thanks for your help.

I don't think your overreacting at all.

Yes try JScreenfix...

Do NOT try JScreenFix. It destroyed my plasma screen completely they had to replace the whole unit. Well, I don't know for sure if it was JScreenFix, but it happened straight after I ran the program, so who knows...

In my experience IR can last for as long as one week. Maybe two, depending on the severity.

The most damage was when my wife left the tv on the same channel and I ended up with 'Kevin Rudd wins election' banner for two weeks.

But even on normal use such as playing games for 1 hour a day, it was enough to leave IR for 3-4 days. Similarly with cricket and the channel 9 WWOS logo. What tipped me over the edge is when Australian Open tennis is on. Two straight weeks, three hours a night of Channel 7's resplendent white logo is just a killer.

So, solution was no more plasma for me. Bought a new LCD, move the plasma to the bedroom and no more headache.

So, solution was no more plasma for me. Bought a new LCD, move the plasma to the bedroom and no more headache.

I'm really wondering wether this is the solution for myself also.

I really thought the whole burn in/IR thing was a thing of the past (from what people post) but it sure doesn't seem that way now.

I really thought the whole burn in/IR thing was a thing of the past (from what people post) but it sure doesn't seem that way now.

If IR or BI are non-existent anymore manufacturers wouldn't have put a disclaimer in their warranty.

People who claim they've never had any IR either just can't see the IR or couldn't care less. People who have OCD like me can never ignore the problem and will continue to look for it and babysit the screen. Ditching it (or move it somewhere else) is a much healthier alternative.

Edited by Black Dawg Down

Do NOT try JScreenFix. It destroyed my plasma screen completely they had to replace the whole unit. Well, I don't know for sure if it was JScreenFix, but it happened straight after I ran the program, so who knows...

I've not read anywhere online of Jscreenfix destroying a screen, and I don't see how that would be possible... it's just a series of pixel colour cycles. Sorry to hear your screen went after that, so I can see how you would be supicious but I'm certain there must of been something else wrong there.

I've not read anywhere online of Jscreenfix destroying a screen, and I don't see how that would be possible... it's just a series of pixel colour cycles. Sorry to hear your screen went after that, so I can see how you would be supicious but I'm certain there must of been something else wrong there.

Good news!

I ran Jscreenfix for approximately 45 minutes last night and it has definately reduced the burn in/IR.

I will give it another run tonight and hopefully cure it all together.

For future use I'm going to set the contrast much lower (was 70%) while using the Playstation 3. Would 50% be a safe number or should I go 30-40?

Thanks for everyones help in this thread.

Good news!

I ran Jscreenfix for approximately 45 minutes last night and it has definately reduced the burn in/IR.

For future use I'm going to set the contrast much lower (was 70%) while using the Playstation 3. Would 50% be a safe number or should I go 30-40?

I've got the TH-65PZ850A and I use for my PS3 Cinema Mode with Colour set on Cool, contrast at 78, Brightness at 49, Colour at 73 and absolutely love the picture.

FTA I use Normal and colour set to normal, contrast at 73, Brightness at 52, Colour at 52 and it is awesome!

No IR or Burn in whatsoever.

Good news!

50% or even 60% should be fine for the ps3 and you can safely turn the brightness up without ill effect if needed as noted earlier in the thread by Owen. When the set has more hours on it (around 100 from memory) should be ok to turn this up somewhat.

Good news!

Glad to hear it helped.

Samsung has claimed that its latest line of Plasmas do not need to be broken in. So either they don't want to admit the truth, or they've done wonders on the design process.

In any case, I'm running my B850 in right now, and I have the contrast and brightness both below 50%. Aside from the break-in DVD, I've only been watching Family Guy.

So it's not necessary anymore to do it? I was going to grab some break in colour slides for when the PS63C7000 arrives next week.

I don't want to age the plasma for nothing though like Owen said. 200 hours is a long time.

These slides.

http://www.webapalooza.com/plasma/

Should I not worry about it then and just keep everything on full screen (no black bars) and reduced contrast?

So it's not necessary anymore to do it? I was going to grab some break in colour slides for when the PS63C7000 arrives next week.

I don't want to age the plasma for nothing though like Owen said. 200 hours is a long time.

These slides.

http://www.webapalooza.com/plasma/

Should I not worry about it then and just keep everything on full screen (no black bars) and reduced contrast?

I'm not running anything in on a PS63C7000 and it's fine. I've had black bars for 3hr movies and a HUD display while doing 2hrs on the xbox360.

Just recently I went for a plasma tv repair Wentzville neighborhood but was informed by the repair man that there's nothing wrong with the black borders. Just turn on the full screen in the picture settings. You can also try adjusting the HDMI settings to be sure.

Never had a problem in 4 years too be sure!