Sign in to follow this  
Dexx1503560195

Plasma burn in?

Hi guys. I noticed a lattice pattern of squares on my fiance's tv which is slightly visible when lighter colours are shown on the screen. It is on the bottom half of the tv, but looks too high to have been burn in from a scoreboard or newsreel. If we can't fix the problem ourselves by playing noise (the screen that makes the sssshhhhhh sound) on the tv screen, then what should we do?

I would just watch normal TV for a day or two (so at least 5 hours all up) and then have a look for it. If it's image retention, that should heal itself in that time. If it's burn in, it will never disappear. Could it be a reflection off a wall, painting, furniture in the romm with the TV?

I would just watch normal TV for a day or two (so at least 5 hours all up) and then have a look for it. If it's image retention, that should heal itself in that time. If it's burn in, it will never disappear. Could it be a reflection off a wall, painting, furniture in the romm with the TV?

Good news re: Panasonic break-in period - it is already done in factory. I read somewhere that they do the break-in before calibrating the THX mode (as they would have to).

I had to check this out for myself so e-mailed panasonic support with this, My request first (My name blanked out):

From: webmaster@panasonic.com.au [mailto:webmaster@panasonic.com.au]

Sent: Tuesday, 8 December 2009 18:00

To: ccc@panasonic.com.au

Subject: Audio & Visual / Plasma Televisions / VIErA TH-P65V10A 65" (165cm) Full-HD Digital Plasma TV - TH-P65V10A / 108767

Dear Sir/Madam,

XXXX XXXXXX has submitted a Customer Care Contact form regarding Product Information Request

- Category : Audio & Visual

- SubCategory : Plasma Televisions

- Model : VIErA TH-P65V10A 65" (165cm) Full-HD Digital Plasma TV - TH-P65V10A.

Details: I am just about to have the new TV delivered. I had a 50 inch 600 series set previously and the advice for that was to break in for about 100 hours prior to more general use (eg 4:3 with side bars, gaming etc). I've been through all the documentation on-line and manuals for the new set and there is no break-in recommendation any more (as far as I can tell). Is "breaking-in" no longer needed with the new generation plasmas? This would be a useful bit of information to put on your plasma FAQ - as there is considerable debate about this on the on-line forums dealing with your excellent products, and an authoritative statement from Panasonic would settle the issue. Thanks in advance, XXXX

And Panasonic support reply:

Dear XXXX.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Panasonic with your enquiry.

Panasonic BREAKS IN the Plasma TV’s while still in the factory. This is part of the testing process.

Kind Regards,

Gavin.

Panasonic Customer Care

www.panasonic.com.au

We trust this information will be of assistance. However, if you do require further support Panasonic have a very informative product web site located at www.panasonic.com.au . Many of our customers have found that most of their questions can be answered here with our excellent Frequently Asked Questions section - for this, please see the following link: http://www.panasonic.com.au/support/faqs/ . .

Want to extended your warranty ? – It’s easy. Just call us on 132 600.

Great news - no avoiding those black bars and gaming for the first few months! Having it already broken in is worth easy $250 to me in terms of less hassle, time saved, and not having to watch 4:3 content with the top and bottom missing or ssstttrrreeetttccchhheeeddd.

Its not a reflection. I tried the method I mentioned but I can't tell if it had any effect at all. I guess we will just have to live with it, unless it fixes itself over time. Its a Samsung Series 4 that was purchased about 16 months ago.

I was thinking that when we move into our new house I could put it in the bedroom and splash out on a good tv for the lounge, but Im wondering whether 50 inches is too big for a bedroom?

Hi guys. I noticed a lattice pattern of squares on my fiance's tv which is slightly visible when lighter colours are shown on the screen. It is on the bottom half of the tv, but looks too high to have been burn in from a scoreboard or newsreel. If we can't fix the problem ourselves by playing noise (the screen that makes the sssshhhhhh sound) on the tv screen, then what should we do?

Sounds like burn in, which there won't be much you can do about.

If it's image retention you may be able to "wash" it off the screen over a few hours/days with a DVD that displays a series of moving colour patches.

To all you sceptics... well 'nough said :rolleyes:

JSmith :ninja:

58v is holding up nicely after a few movies. I was a little hesitant of jumping into non 16:9 BDs this early. But I thought I remembered the Panas were broken in somewhere & koolkats post above confirms it. Cheers.

If you have image retention on your plasma would it go away by itself if you just left your television completley off for a few days or weeks?

Good news re: Panasonic break-in period - it is already done in factory. I read somewhere that they do the break-in before calibrating the THX mode (as they would have to).

Does anyone know whether the THP50G10A model is also broken-in at the factory?

Does anyone know whether the THP50G10A model is also broken-in at the factory?

whether it is or not. just tune it with the likes of thx optimiser for natural colours, brightness and contrast rather than the out of box crazy settings. and then sit back and enjoy what have done for the last 3 plasmas over the last 5 years and burn in image / retention has never been an issue or concern. I agree with what lyle said earlier. a storm in a tea cup whipped up by the lcd propaganda machine.

so yeah just enjoy your pride and joy and dont be too bothered by fud that some spread around.

whether it is or not. just tune it with the likes of thx optimiser for natural colours, brightness and contrast rather than the out of box crazy settings. and then sit back and enjoy what have done for the last 3 plasmas over the last 5 years and burn in image / retention has never been an issue or concern. I agree with what lyle said earlier. a storm in a tea cup whipped up by the lcd propaganda machine.

so yeah just enjoy your pride and joy and dont be too bothered by fud that some spread around.

I have set up my Panasonic G10A as follows for the brake-in period if anyone is interested;

viewing mode: cinema

contrast: 50

brightness: 0

colour: 50

sharpness: 50

tint: 0

colour balance: cool

colour management: off

x.v. colour: off

I have set up my Panasonic G10A as follows for the brake-in period if anyone is interested;

viewing mode: cinema

contrast: 50

brightness: 0

colour: 50

sharpness: 50

tint: 0

colour balance: cool

colour management: off

x.v. colour: off

Is that less than the normal settings?

Not having owned this plasma, I have no way of knowing!

If they are scaled back then be aware that if you are planning a calibration your run-in time period is probably doubled.

I personally don't see the need for this unless this model is particularly prone to image retention. Is it?

Is that less than the normal settings?

Not having owned this plasma, I have no way of knowing!

If they are scaled back then be aware that if you are planning a calibration your run-in time period is probably doubled.

I personally don't see the need for this unless this model is particularly prone to image retention. Is it?

yes I dont see the need for any special settings either. just a rudimentary calibration wiht thx optimiser will get picture settings to sane levels and what is a very nice natural looking picture. thats all thats needed. I wouldnt use any picture modes like dynamic or anything else either. they just tend to have picture settings more suited to your typical shop environment than any home setting. and only likely make the set more suceptible to image retention.

not plasma, but lcd :(

haven't seen it but Son asked last night how old our sammy M8 was

2 1/2 i said

so out of warranty? he says

um no, 3 year warranty i say with a bit of a panic attack starting :o

says his Halo game is burning into the screen :o

first i've heard of it and he wasn't even playing on it for that long yesterday

has anyone else had a similar problem?

not plasma, but lcd :(

haven't seen it but Son asked last night how old our sammy M8 was

2 1/2 i said

so out of warranty? he says

um no, 3 year warranty i say with a bit of a panic attack starting :o

says his Halo game is burning into the screen :o

first i've heard of it and he wasn't even playing on it for that long yesterday

has anyone else had a similar problem?

Yes you can get burn-in on LCD screens.

Read your Samsung user manual or download a manual from the Samsung site for their LED LCD or LCD TV’s it states very clearly in the manual burn-in can occur if a still image is displayed for more than two hours. This is not covered under warranty.

Their LCD monitor manuals states that displaying a still image for too long can result in a persistent image or stain on the screen. Use screen saver.

Their website FAQ also mentions burn-in on LCD.

There are also posts on various consumer electronics forums where people have stated they got burn-in on their LCD TV or monitor.

Example

http://www.fixya.com/support/t541369-lcd_t...urn_in_question

Sony states it CAN NOT happen on their Bravia LCD TV’s.

Other manufacturers make no mention of it, well I didn’t find it.

Yes you can get burn-in on LCD screens.

Read your Samsung user manual or download a manual from the Samsung site for their LED LCD or LCD TV's it states very clearly in the manual burn-in can occur if a still image is displayed for more than two hours. This is not covered under warranty.

Their LCD monitor manuals states that displaying a still image for too long can result in a persistent image or stain on the screen. Use screen saver.

Their website FAQ also mentions burn-in on LCD.

It's just to cover themselves, says the same thing in the plasma manuals...

Not really "burn in" as on a plasma, but rather image retention (short lived) or stuck pixels which doesn't occur really on newer SVPA panels, just the older types. IR is easy to rectify on an LCD, and stuck pixels not a great deal harder if you use the correct images to re-activate the stuck pixels. This is very hard to do on an LCD and requires you to display a high contrast image with the backlight on high and possibly using retina burning settings like Dynamic for hours or days on end with the same image, nothing moving, no changes. This is not something anyone would normally do. Using a PC usually you'd move the mouse, open new windows etc., and the auto screen savers kick in fairly quickly (5 mins). This is a non issue really for LCD's and mostly a non-issue now on newer model plasmas when it comes to real world usage.

Anyway for anyone interested in this subject this site may assist.

There is a program that uses Javascript and it can allegedly cure both IR and BI. Could it also theoretically cure the residual charge/shadow problem with my 508XDA Plasma? If it can't, then no problem.

For some reason I've even been considering that it is my brain picking up on something most others cannot see. We see things differently - all of us. I just thought that maybe I am one of those whom are more susceptible to picking up on stuff like this.

It's just to cover themselves, says the same thing in the plasma manuals...

He has staining. More of the above

Contrary to common belief and despite a number of manufacturers claiming it does not happen you can get “screen burn” and “staining” with LCD. Those are the words Samsung uses.

Samsung warns about leaving a static image on the screen for more than two hours however at elevated temperature it can take as little as 30 minutes based on some reading that I have done.

No it is not the same as burn-in as you get with plasma and CRT where the phosphors get burnt. With LCD what happens is some of the liquid crystals do not go back to the fully relaxed state. It happens more easily if the panel is at high temperature.

This problem with LCD has occurred in more recent times with the faster response time panels better than 12ms, which employ techniques such as overdrive. Some panels are more susceptible than others it depends on the liquid crystal formulation that they use.

To remove the problem you could try leaving a snowy picture on the screen for some hours just by tuning to an unused analog TV channel. If you noticed this staining had appeared on a hot day then heating up the front of the screen with a heater while the TV is displaying the snowy picture can help. The panel should be able to handle up to 60 deg C and some can even take up to 70 deg C so just warm the panel up to about 45 deg C a hot summers day temperature.

If the above does not work then you are stuffed. New panel needed.

Edited by firestorm

Contrary to common belief and despite a number of manufacturers claiming it does not happen you can get "screen burn" and "staining" with LCD. Those are the words Samsung uses.

Samsung warns about leaving a static image on the screen for more than two hours however at elevated temperature it can take as little as 30 minutes based on some reading that I have done.

No it is not the same as burn-in as you get with plasma and CRT where the phosphors get burnt. With LCD what happens is some of the liquid crystals do not go back to the fully relaxed state. It happens more easily if the panel is at high temperature.

This problem with LCD has occurred in more recent times with the faster response time panels better than 12ms, which employ techniques such as overdrive. Some panels are more susceptible than others it depends on the liquid crystal formation that they use.

Mate, yes, as I stated in my post "stuck pixels" can occur... I even posted a link to a site called JScreen Fix which can help unstick stuck pixels. I also referred to the warning in some manufacturers manuals, as did you... :blink:

I stick by my statement that this is rare, and mostly the warnings are there to protect the manufacturer legally. Unlike burn in on a plasma, it isn't permanent.

So what are peoples' opinions on running a break-in DVD on a new plasma for 150-200 hours? Worth doing or a waste of time? I have read a few pages of the AVForums thread and opinion seems to be divided to say the least... ;)

Running a break in DVD for 150-200 hour is just putting 150-200 hours of unnecessary use on your Plasma, it’s not necessary.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping... I guess I'll just have to break it in by watching stuff instead - damn ;)

So I guess I'll turn brightness and contrast down below 50%, watch content zoomed or distorted to cover the entire screen, avoid watermarks and perhaps turn on the feature that shifts the picture by a few pixels to be safe - is there anything else I should do or avoid?

Double post.

Edited by Singe

Samsung has claimed that its latest line of Plasmas do not need to be broken in. So either they don't want to admit the truth, or they've done wonders on the design process.

In any case, I'm running my B850 in right now, and I have the contrast and brightness both below 50%. Aside from the break-in DVD, I've only been watching Family Guy.

I figured out what caused the burn in. Its because of subtitles, the type with big white letters on a black background. And this tv seems to suffer quite a bit from image retention (Samsung Series 4 50" plasma).

I have bought a Panasonic 50" V10 plasma which I am getting in another week and a half, and I am going to be extremely careful with it. However my fiance uses subtitles a lot because English is not her first language. If this tv gets any burn in I will probably go into a fit of uncontrollable rage.

What can I do to prevent subtitles being burnt into my new tv?

Samsung has claimed that its latest line of Plasmas do not need to be broken in. So either they don't want to admit the truth, or they've done wonders on the design process.

In any case, I'm running my B850 in right now, and I have the contrast and brightness both below 50%. Aside from the break-in DVD, I've only been watching Family Guy.

True - but they also exclude IR and BI from the warranty so I think I'll ignore their advice on that one ;)

I've tweaked brightness and contrast down, should I also turn off 'dynamic contrast' and 'black tone' in the advanced settings menu? Picture is quite 'muddy' with both off...

I'm also using the zoom function to keep watermarks off the screen while running in; I gather that translucent ones would be ok but better safe than sorry.