Sign in to follow this  
Dexx1503560195

Plasma burn in?

Hey Guys,

Having had my Samsung 42inch for over two years now, I thought I would have a look at the screen burn protection yesterday. The recommendation was to let the test signal run for approximately an hour, we went out for four hours !!! When we came home, I have to say even watching Foxtel, it was like someone had got in behind the screen, cleaned the cells and highly polished the glass. Watching the F1 on One HD was a whole new experience not the drab dull colours I had become accustomed to - what a difference. For an older TV, I've certainly breathed new life into it with a simple operation. Just waiting to get DV Essentials through it to adjust everything up for the kids wii.

Cheers

HD FTA has digital radio stations, but leaves a static logo on my plasma screen (Pana Th-P42G10a).

Ditto music via USB stick on BluRay

Any ideas to get around this?

TV has an SD card

Audio is thru a Bose Cinemate (speaker system). Connects with only 1white+1red plug audio leads.

http://www.bose.com.au/site/index.aspx?pat...d=7&pgid=56

:rolleyes: I know, kinda rubbish (spouse bought it) but not ready to update now.

Could connect audio via HD PVR + leave TV off, but means unplugging/ rearranging audio leads often (hard to get to).

Audio is out of the TV (1white, 1red plug) and I don't want to have to change it for every connected device.

Any suggestions much appreciated- the manual gives no hints.

A couple of things

I note the model number of your plasma is a fairly recent model; 4 years ago you could get burn on a plasma in as little as 1 hours, now you have to do a lot of thing wrong to get burn in.

First thing, if you have the plasma set on “Vivid” or “Store mode”, get it off that immediately! That mode is designed to make the plasma look brighter on the shop floor so that you choose it over other models. Typically, blues and black are over saturated, and brightness is turned all the way up. This mode increases you change of getting burn-in if there are static images left on screen, particularly early in the HDTV life.

The model has an anti-image retention build in to combat potential burn-in. Consult you manual on how to use this feature, and set it to automatic during the first 500 hours of set use.

If there is a shop that offers ISF calibration, get that performed on the SET.

I recently brought a Panasonic 50G10A. I would like to keep an eye on how many hours we've had it running for.

How can I check this? I cant find it in any of the menus.

Thanks

It's in the service menus.

I recommend if you don't know what you are doing to stay out of the service menus incase you mess something up!

Just joined the forum and found this topic, 11 years ago I purchased a 52" Panasonic rear projection TV. My daughter would constantly watch Channel V on Foxtel so we ended up with this big V in the corner of the TV that never dissappeared and although we don't use this TV much any more its out in the back room it still has the the big V on it to this day. Thanks Foxtel for not moving your image around.

burn in

thought i'd done it big time yesterday on my sammy :o

finished my walkies so paused my spice girls movie at the part where they're in the plane and the destination Milan white writing was on screen

left the room for about 3 1/2 hours and when i went back, the tv was still on :o

talk about your stomach dropping in panic :o

but all's good, turned on the movie again and not a trace of burn in ^_^

Just about to pick up a pana Th46pz800a, and will be mainly using it for xbox 360/movies. Does anyone here notice burn in with this range?

So, when everyone says to turn down the brightness, contrast, etc during the first 100-200 hours, what sort of level do you mean to turn it down to?

40, 30? Just got my PZ850A and wanna take every precaution possible.

So, when everyone says to turn down the brightness, contrast, etc during the first 100-200 hours, what sort of level do you mean to turn it down to?

40, 30? Just got my PZ850A and wanna take every precaution possible.

just grab a dvd with the thx optimiser on it. will get your brightness and contrast to sane levels. worked for the last two plasmas of mine and current one as well. dont use any mega/dynamic contrast or anything on the set and all will be well dont need any other special settings, jsut watch and enjoy :)

Everyone says turn it down, but if most buyers, assuming they even heard or heeded such advice, are like me then they forgot about it after a couple of days. No sign of burn in then or now, two years later, on a 50" Panny.

I ran our sammy 650 plasma at low brightness etc for about 100 hours and used the burn-in protection scrolling screensaver about once every 3rd night for an hour or so... nowadays i dont worry about it and nothing is permanently burned into the screen.. a static menu or similar will still be retained if its been left on but it disapears as well after about 10 mins so i think thats just slight IR not burn in?

If you a watching a movie

that is 2-3 hours long

with black bars top and bottom

Is there a chance of burn in?

Just bought the pana 50G10

very interested in Plasma. but turned off by burn in.

Lemme get this straight, if i was to watch one movie EVERY day non stop day after day, i couldnt game with my expensive plasma until 4 months in?

I think 200 hours is an AWEFUL lot of time to stop burn in.

Probably most interested in the S10 because it has no fans and ive heard of Plasmas buzzing.

Edited by soots

very interested in Plasma. but turned off by burn in.

Lemme get this straight, if i was to watch one movie EVERY day non stop day after day, i couldnt game with my expensive plasma until 4 months in?

I think 200 hours is an AWEFUL lot of time to stop burn in.

Probably most interested in the S10 because it has no fans and ive heard of Plasmas buzzing.

I agree, and was very turned off by burn in myself. Burn in, reflection, buzzing and green tinges in lit rooms steered me the LCD way. I'm hopeless with falling asleep on the lounge :blush: and in the first week I left a paused DVD on all night. If I had a plasma my screen would have been buggered, or at least difficult to rectify. If you go an LCD though make sure it has good contrast (good blacks) and good motion resolution. The best blacks on an LCD are created by local dimming LED backlights, rather than a CCFL system. The edgelit models whilst giving great blacks, due to their design, cannot locally dim behind the screen equating to loss of detail in dark scenes and poor screen uniformity (although some say they have fixed this...).

JSmith :ninja:

Storm in a tea cup.

I used my plasma from day one for everything.

Did not change any settings.

At 100+ hours it was calibrated.

I have never seen burn in or even image retention.

(It is important to not confuse the two).

Get a good quality plasma and you should not have a problem.

Fair enough, but it does happen and there of many reports of it including warnings in the manufacturers manuals. There are even DVD's and settings for just this issue so to shrug it off is a little nieve surely. I'm glad you haven't had any problems.

Should, but could and may well do... ^_^

Storm in a tea cup.

I used my plasma from day one for everything.

Did not change any settings.

At 100+ hours it was calibrated.

But you are not a tennis fanatic, are you?

Take this experiment: watch 3 hours of Australian Open next month for every night and 14 days straight.

If there is no burn-in then I'll eat my words.

Article on Plasma burn in:-

http://gizmodo.com/5416610/the-truth-about...-screen-burn+in

As I'm in the middle of trying to decide on a new TV (too many options!), this was an interesting article.

A pretty superficial test if you ask me.

Honestly, I'm not nearly as worried about burn-in as I was a few years ago, which is why I recently allowed myself to purchase one, but that article isn't very convincing to me.

If the worst he did was freezing a frame (and I'd bet you it was a 16:9 frame) for 10 hours then there will be plenty of plasmas out in realityland receiving a lot worse treatment. eg. there is still a hell of a lot of 4:3 programming, so the potential is there for black bars (which would be far worse for your screen than a frozen 16:9 frame) to be present for a lot longer than 10 hours.

Take this experiment: watch 3 hours of Australian Open next month for every night and 14 days straight.

I watch tennis all the time.

My wife watches tennis everyday for longer periods than 3 hours every single tournament and we have never had any burn in whatsoever..............nor any noticeable image retention. I can say with absolute certainty that she will watch the australian open constantly and i confidently predict that there will be zero burn in again..........just like always. So get out your knife and fork.

My wife watches tennis everyday for longer periods than 3 hours every single tournament and we have never had any burn in whatsoever..............nor any noticeable image retention. I can say with absolute certainty that she will watch the australian open constantly and i confidently predict that there will be zero burn in again..........just like always. So get out your knife and fork.
I agree. I watch Wimbledon, the French, the Hopman Cup and the Australian Open. 5 setters are common, ie 5 hours. I have never seen burn in. I can't remember ever even seeing image retention.

I agree. I watch Wimbledon, the French, the Hopman Cup and the Australian Open. 5 setters are common, ie 5 hours. I have never seen burn in. I can't remember ever even seeing image retention.

Yeah, but isn't there advertisments/breaks etc. that would refresh the screen?

I think what we are talking about here is static images for hours. Fall asleep with a game on the screen or a paused 4:3 DVD and see what happens.

yes, because if it happens to you it must happen to everyone right?

watched three(2.5 to be exact, ie.8 hours) nfl games straight(left tv on but didnt watch the whole time)and they have the massive bar on the top showing scores and the logos and what not and oh my god there was no burn-in or IR....its a ****ing miracle...right???

if you manage to get ir or burn-in on current gen plasmas your very unlucky./...unless you running like 70 contrast and dynamic settings...lol