Sign in to follow this  
Dexx1503560195

Plasma burn in?

They do burn in, but its never retained. Pana's in my store have bluray thrown on 24/7 without rest from the moment they are turned on. Every last one has done fine and if ever a small amount of letterbox burn in occurs, its gone after a couple on mins of full screen viewing.

“burn in” is PERMANENT, it NEVER goes away, if it does its image retention.

“burn in” is PERMANENT, it NEVER goes away, if it does its image retention.

ok, that's a nice little scare first thing in the morning :o

so tell me, has anyone hooked up a Wii or PS2 to a brand new Plasma? :)

and are cricket and football safe to watch? :o

that's the whole reason for the Plasma, he doesn't like motion blur <_<:rolleyes:

but now the scores being continually displayed is a worry :(

my new Sammy 58" has ridiculous amounts of Image Retention at the moment - even leaving the menu onscreen for about 30+ seconds seems to leave a retained image for a few minutes but then it disappears.. ive been running a variety of 'break-in' material with Contrast/Brightness both set to 30-50 depending on darkness of the source - been using Foxtel box office (no logos), the Samsung factory scrolling screensaver and one of the full screen cartoon channels..

So far i have zero Burn In but definite Image Retention .. i cant wait to crank it up to proper levels and enjoy it but im too paranoid to just yet haha

We accidentally left the TV on for 3 hours with no source turned on which meant the screen was black with a orange rectangle in the top left with the word for the input selected.. Eekk

There was image retention for an hour or so, then completely gone with normal viewing. Panasonic 800 50"

last night i watched about 3 x 45mins episodes of skins in what i thought was full screen but there was really .75 of an inch of black bars on all 4 sides !!!!

changed to a full screen show and could see the bars being retained but after a while they slowly dissipated..

played a couple of hours of GOW2 the other night (looked farken stunning @ 1080p) and the gun icons which fade out after relaods etc were retained.. but once again they disappeared after a while..

I think for the 1st few weeks im going to run the scrolling screensaver after watching anything just to be sure !

Last night I left my plasma on with total black and now I have a black screen.

Now when I watch any of my favourite shows I notice the blacks are waaaaaaaaaay better.

It's a joke.

:D:P:D

Last night I left my plasma on with total black and now I have a black screen.

Now when I watch any of my favourite shows I notice the blacks are waaaaaaaaaay better.

It's a joke.

:D:P:D

ROFL i wish that would work on my 2 yr old LCD - im sick of seeing cars with grey tyres and night scenes at dusk etc haha..

I have pioner pdp435 plasma and it looks like I have some burn in from the black bands of 4:3 shows. Any suggestions? Has anyone had any luck with Pioneer coming to the party or will it just be a case of "we don't cover that?"?

Edited by STHARVEY

I have pioner pdp435 plasma and it looks like I have some burn in from the black bands of 4:3 shows. Any suggestions? Has anyone had any luck with Pioneer coming to the party or will it just be a case of "we don't cover that?"?

Are you sure it's burn-in and not image retention? Wait a few days and see if it's indeed a burn-in. If it is, it's non-reversible unfortunately.

And I don't think Pioneer or any manufacturer would "come to the party" for Burn-In

just pay a lil extra and get lcd

I dont think the lcd your talking about to replace his pioneer has been invented yet.

I left a computer game's menu screen on for hours when I fell asleep on couch. Screen saver didn't kick in. Panasonic pz plasma (2008 model). The image retention freaked me out, but faded away soon after. My plasma had clocked more than 100 hours of use already, so that may have helped protect it from burn-in.

I run windows, browse the web all the time now without noticing any problems.

Dear all,

Sorry for double posting. But I am greatly appreciated if anyone can answer my question.

I am one of many owners of TH50PZ850A, It is a nice panel. I recently started to play some PS3 game with that. I have just got some question and see if anyone had the same problem as mine.

As I said I use it to play game, I found that this panel doesn't take long for image retention. Like the game's health bar and other status bar. It can be easily tell if you have a light background. I have been to my friend to play Rock Band on his Samsung Plasma, We have been playing for 4-5 hours continuously. Guess what? When we switch to a white background screen to search for any image retention. We couldn't find any. Rock Band is a kind of game that the image is so static. You have a life bar constantly on the screen. There is a feature called Pixel **** in the Samsung. I am guessing that's what preventing the problem.

I have also been searching and looking up the user manual. A features called Pixel Shifter is missing in AU model. But you can find it in the PZ850U model (I guess is a Europe version). Link below.

http://www.abt.com/images/products/PDF_Fil...eries_Specs.pdf

The image retention can be fixed by just viewing normal TV for while.

I would like to ask if anyone has the same experience as me with this TV. And does anyone has the function called Pixel Shifter on their Panasonic Plasma? I am just worry about if I play the game for too long the image retention will turn into burn-in.

Thanks in advance!

********Burn In : Panasonic 50PZ80A*******

A word of warning!! whilst using my pc on the set mentioned the task bar and internet tool bar have burned onto my display.

The burn in has faded but It seems unlikely that the image will disappear altogether. I can only notice the burn in on a bright white back ground, and I'm hoping after a few more hours of tv watching the image of the task bar will disappear altogether. Be careful burn in can be hard to spot and you may not even realize its happening till its to late.

I guess I was being naive thinking the panasonics didn't suffer from burn in, quite so easily.

If anyone knows how to "flush" my display or whether 'breaking in' a plasma display can eliminate or reduce burn in please let me know. Also how long does an image need to remain static before it is burn into your display?

I'm now running my vga connection with the picture settings on 25-30, hopefully this slows 'burn in'!?

Edited by piccard21

Dear all,

Sorry for double posting. But I am greatly appreciated if anyone can answer my question.

I am one of many owners of TH50PZ850A, It is a nice panel. I recently started to play some PS3 game with that. I have just got some question and see if anyone had the same problem as mine.

As I said I use it to play game, I found that this panel doesn't take long for image retention. Like the game's health bar and other status bar. I

I would like to ask if anyone has the same experience as me with this TV. And does anyone has the function called Pixel Shifter on their Panasonic Plasma? I am just worry about if I play the game for too long the image retention will turn into burn-in.

Thanks in advance!

I too have the same plasma (50pz850) and noticed it retains images 'image retention' very easily also. ie in ps3 menus, it happens very fast, only takes about 30secs, maybe even less? the retention is visible but then dissapears very fast, gets wiped out when somethign different is displayed. . I've had the plasma since early december, so im pretty sure ive used more than 200 hours already. However, my brother was playing GTA4 recently, for maybe about 6 hours straight, and some more the night before, I noticed the bottom left map and health bar, retained a white circle. Its the longest image that has been retained so far, after several hours (about 5 at least), the retention has started to fade away. I've also had to disable the map/health bars too.

Also, turning off the tv at night, whilst the room's lights are off, I notice alot of image retention, shown as ghostly bits of things on the tv screen, making the black screen seem like it has dirty patches of white on it. They aren't noticable the day after when you watch tv again though.

I wonder how much image retention can it take, before it actually 'burns in'?

Image retention occurs from time to time - burn in won't "fade" away

ROFL i wish that would work on my 2 yr old LCD - im sick of seeing cars with grey tyres and night scenes at dusk etc haha..

So LCD's lose contrast over time? I knew that some colours can become over saturated but the blacks??

I though LCD where generally good all round for keeping a good picture that last quite a few years?

I ask this because I currently own a LG 42" SD Plasma that is almost 3 years old and have never (even on that old tech) ever had burn in. And I have been pretty careless at times.

I have however had the general problem of watching most of my shows in a 4:3 aspect and now the center has faded because of general wear and tear as plasma's do. I want to get away from this because I hate stretched images and LCD seems like my only option. But if LCD's go bad because of colours and black fading after only 2 years then I might just put up with the current plasma deal and buy another one of them(find something that has good scaling and have to pay more attention on doing it manually as I change channels).

My Pioneer PDP508XDA has had about 600, MAYBE 700 hours of use now. I've gamed, watched DTV, and played my black-bar movies w/o those bars (the TV's Zoom function) - done the latter for a few months now. In the first 100-200 hours, I used a break-in disc and "Movie"-like settings. I still use those settings even now.

I've recently been wondering about not zooming-out the black bars anymore. Taking into account the hours of usage above, and the fact that I don't watch black bar movies all the time, will displaying them again be that bad?

This Plasma may not be Pioneer's latest, but it certainly isn't one of their worst either. :)

I've just bought a Panasonic Th-p50g10a.

Should I be concerned with potential burn in? Is it an issue with newer models?

we have had our vierra for a while. It seems to be ok i mean many channels have there logo down the bottom couldnt this cause burn ?

My Pana PZ850 retained a dvd menu "imprint" for quite some time (one of the kids fell asleep in front of the TV while watching a dvd) but thankfully it now seems to have disappeared. I'm real paranoid now about hooking up an xbox and having the kids play games for hours on end and potentially not refreshing the screen. Am I too worried about a possible burn-in?

we have had our vierra for a while. It seems to be ok i mean many channels have there logo down the bottom couldnt this cause burn ?

Fortunately most of the FTA channels logo down the bottom is watermarked in that it is just a brighter section of the underlying image so the pixels in the watermarked area are still being exercised and not static so I doubt this will cause any problems with IR. Also the logo's disappear during adds so for around 15 minutes during every hour viewed (on the commercial stations) the logo will not be present further reducing any possible IR issues.

Unfortunately the same can't be said for Foxtel that like to have lot's of solid white text in logo's on many of their channels (esp. Fox Sports channels) and the interactive channels with that annoying Press (Red Dot). So far here though no problems on Fox on a PZ850A and others in the house give it a fair hammering on the Sports channels