I've currently got a Wii connected to the main plasma (Panasonic 09 model)

Very occasionally I will see image retention on the blank screen when I change source but it goes as soon as an image replaces it (ie, the pixels change). No worse than when the wife leaves the PVR on pause and I see temporary IR of the status display...again its' gone immediately on a screen refresh.

IR has never been an issue or concern for me, having said that i'm about to get an LCD specifially for gaming (only because I want the kids playing games in the family not on the main system).

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we have an LCD for gaming

the Plasma for movies and tv although i do have the PS3 hooked up just in case

he wanted an LCD for gaming but also wants a tv at least a 50 inch

he's agreed to go plasma if it's ok for the occasional bout of gaming, he does most of his on the PC but is taking one of the 360's with him

• 3 months later...

Well quite frankly I'm shocked, after being what I believed to be very careful, after 11mths my Panasonic Thp54v20a has what I would call significant IR noticeable in an all black screen caused by the menu on my WDTV media player. The WD is used extensively by my kids almost on a daily basis but the menu is never left on for more than a couple of mins although last night it might have been on for about 5-10min and that's when I noticed it. It was there again this morning when I checked.

I note with disspair a disclaimer in the owners manual on IR but it also states that the panel will automatically dim if a static image is present for more than a couple of minutes to prevent IR. I'm sorry but I'm confused, the panel has never dimmed from what I can tell and the WDTV box has a screen saver that comes on eventually anyway.

Ideas anyone, is this temporary or parmanent and what can be done to reduce this or does it just dissapear?

Edit: I don't have a PC connected so screenfix is not an easy option.

Edited by Riv39

It'll disappear with some full screen content like a movie etc, but because the menu on the WDTV is used so often, it means that it's probably more likely that the pixels in that area have more static use than the rest of the screen. It'll come and go with constant use of the WDTV menu IMO.

It'll disappear with some full screen content like a movie etc, but because the menu on the WDTV is used so often, it means that it's probably more likely that the pixels in that area have more static use than the rest of the screen. It'll come and go with constant use of the WDTV menu IMO.

Thanks diesel, on closer inspection it was actually the Sony Blue Ray player menu (same as a PS3 menu) not the WDTV that caused the problem. I just checked the TV and the IR is gone from last night with a new one from the PS2.

It would seem that this is normal and will come and go as you say and there is always going to be a bit of image retention for static menus and game scores etc.

I also checked the contrast and it is still where I set it 11mths ago at 60% on all inputs so should be safe.