Plasma burn in?

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest audiphile

okay after reading this whole thread i am not convinced either way, whether you require a break in period for your plasma.

my pioneer 508A arrives next week and i do not want to damage it.

Nova Pheonix what did you do in your break in period ?

what settings did you use on the tv for your break in period ?

How Do I Prevent Burn-In?

It is rather simple to prevent the burn-in effect from occurring to your plasma.

Calibrate your display. It is difficult to overestimate the importance of this step. Most TVs come from the store with their brightness and contrast set way too high in order to show good in the display room. Get yourself AVIA or DVE (Digital Video Essentials) DVD, and you'll have a nicely calibrated set in less than 15 minutes.

Do not watch any 4:3 or 2.35:1 content during the first 100 hours of use. Most damage is done to the brand-new plasmas by inexperienced users. Plasmas are most susceptible to burn-in during the first 100 hours, and much more burn-in resistant after 1000 hours of use.

Restrict non-full-screen programming to 20% until 1000 hours. Plasma manufacturers also recommend limiting viewing of 4:3 or 2.35:1 programming to about 20% of overall viewing time after the first 100 hours and until 1000 hours. After that, your plasma is much less likely to take burn-in. Try watching 4:3 content in "stretched" or "fair" ("just") mode that fills the entire screen.

While your plasma is new, turn down the contrast (sometimes called "picture", which refers to white level, or the brightness of light areas of the picture). A new plasma TV is much more likely to take damage from displaying static elements such as logos or teletext. Reducing overall contrast (this controls white levels, and is called "picture" on some displays) helps reducing the possibility of those static elements to burn in.

Switch channels to avoid logo burn-in. Avoid extended viewing of broadcasts with non-transparent logos or where the screen is divided into fixed parts (such as teletext or weather reports) all the time. These logos or teletext lines may imprint into your plasma, causing burn-in.

Use grey bars instead of black. Some plasma displays allow using color bars instead of black for 4:3 programming. This may greatly reduce the burn-in effect.

Enable pixel shifting. Many plasmas offer pixel shifting, otherwise referred as "wobulation" technique, in order to reduce the effect of burn-in. Enabling this feature may decrease the effect of burn-in by "smoothing" the borders between bright and dark parts of the image. This feature alone will not prevent your display from burning in, however, because larger dark and bright parts of the screen will mostly remain where they are, thus causing an after-image with slightly blurred borders.

If your DVD player has a screen saver and auto-shutdown feature, turn it on. This helps a great deal saving you from burn-in resulting from paused movies (screen saver) or disk menus (auto-off).

If seeing early signs of image retention, run a screen saver on your plasma. New plasmas are likely to display non-permanent image retention after displaying a still image or a still element, such as a logo. Chances are great that this effect will disappear by itself after you watch a different channel (remember using full-screen "stretch" mode) for some time, or if you engage a special burn-in reduction screen saver, if your plasma has it. Please refer to your plasma documentation to find if your TV has a screen saver. Many plasmas don't have it.

Seems complicated? It is not! Here's the list once again:

While your plasma is new:

Reduce contrast

Avoid content that does not fill entire screen (leaves black bars) for the first 1000 hours

Switch channels from time to time

If seeing any signs of image retention, run a screen saver on your plasma

Always:

Use grey bars instead of black

On your plasma, keep pixel shifting enabled

On your DVD player, keep screen saver and auto-shutdown enabled

Calibrate your display to avoid unnecessary high brightness and contrast levels

How Do I Prevent Burn-In?

It is rather simple to prevent the burn-in effect from occurring to your plasma.

Good post, but in the end it's still useless.

After 1 year (4 hours of viewing a day, so way above 1000 hours by now), my plasma still exhibits severe Image Retention which takes at least 2 days to disappear.

Current tv network hobbies of displaying bright white sport logos (7 Olympic and 9 wide world of sports) are the culprits.

Yes, yes, they are only IR you'll say, but try watching Aus Open tennis for 2 weeks and the Olympics for 4 weeks and I bet they'll turn to burn-in.

Black Dawg Down, there's no denying you've had a bad plasma experience, but surely a preponderance of users are quite happy with their plasmas, haven't had it breakdown and probably can't see any retention at all, since hardly anyone is complaining? If, on the other hand, they all are seeing it, then they're a very quiet suffering bunch considering the number of posts here about every other little DTV thing that irks us from 'cables not included' to 'finger prints on piano black bezels'.

After seeing 3 plasmas fail I don't blame you for not wanting another, but I have two plasmas running reliably, one is about 3 years old, and would buy another without question. I'd say my plasma experience is more the norm rather than the exception :huh:

This might be a really stupid question but it's something ive been wondering about for a while.

If im playing my playstation using my plasma and leave the playstation on (thus leaving a static image on the screen), however change the channel to watch tv. Is there a risk of image retention?

This might be a really stupid question but it's something ive been wondering about for a while.

If im playing my playstation using my plasma and leave the playstation on (thus leaving a static image on the screen), however change the channel to watch tv. Is there a risk of image retention?

Image retention will only come from the image displayed on the screen

.... but surely a preponderance of users are quite happy with their plasmas, haven't had it breakdown and probably can't see any retention at all, since hardly anyone is complaining?

No doubt. There could be a lot of people who doesn't report plasma problems on this forum as the majority of the public do not even know this forum exists. It could also be as you said that some people just put up with it, so it's hard to say that your experience is the norm rather than exception.

Their and your viewing habits can also be quite different. Some people don't watch a lot of sports and plenty of DVD. I take it you also don't watch the Aus Open tennis for 2 weeks.

There are just too many variables so we don't know for sure.

The really big test is the upcoming Olympics. The last one was in 2004 and there are a hell lot more plasma owners now than then. If you're a sports fan and will be watching the Olympics for the whole 4 weeks, let me know if your set survives the test and I'll eat my words :winky: .

Edited by Black Dawg Down

No doubt. There could be a lot of people who doesn't report plasma problems on this forum as the majority of the public do not even know this forum exists. It could also be as you said that some people just put up with it, so it's hard to say that your experience is the norm rather than exception.

Their and your viewing habits can also be quite different. Some people don't watch a lot of sports and plenty of DVD. I take it you also don't watch the Aus Open tennis for 2 weeks.

There are just too many variables so we don't know for sure.

The really big test is the upcoming Olympics. The last one was in 2004 and there are a hell lot more plasma owners now than then. If you're a sports fan and will be watching the Olympics for the whole 4 weeks, let me know if your set survives the test and I'll eat my words :winky: .

I was at my brothers yesterday , he has had a hitachi plasma for about 3 years. Always watches football via foxtel and fta , dvd also.

There is no sign of any burn in or IR.

My other brother also has had his plasma for a few years now. Footy fanatic and avid dvd watcher also. No issues with his screen either.

So thats the statistics of a couple of people that dont belong to this forum.

I was at my brothers yesterday , he has had a hitachi plasma for about 3 years. Always watches football via foxtel and fta , dvd also.

There is no sign of any burn in or IR.

My other brother also has had his plasma for a few years now. Footy fanatic and avid dvd watcher also. No issues with his screen either.

So thats the statistics of a couple of people that dont belong to this forum.

So in term of Plasma burn in.....have people found that some brands are more susceptible to it than others ?

Are the higher end Full HD 1080p units less susceptible than the lower resolution units ?

Or are most plasma screen components the same regardless of manufactuere...resolution etc...and this technology just suffers from this problem no matter which plasma you purchase ?

Or are most plasma screen components the same regardless of manufactuere...resolution etc...and this technology just suffers from this problem no matter which plasma you purchase ?

There were apparently significant retention problems in first generation plasmas, but that was years ago. If you read back through this thread you'd realise that most plasma owners, by the absence of recent complaints, don't worry about or even notice image retention anymore. There'd be several threads full of complaints if there was an on-going problem under normal viewing and not just this single survivor that pops up occasionally. Every type of flat screen technology has had issues - LCD seemed to suffer more stuck/dead pixels than plasma, but again it was more likely in the past and is no longer a common complaint, but the mud sticks.

I don't think you'd find any of the videophiles here forking out several thousand dollars on a plasma, fussing about the best cables, etc, and spending even more money getting it calibrated properly only to suffer constant image retention without a murmur or a mention of it here.

Have a 50 inch LG plasma...over 300 hours old. Watch anything and everything. Only ever get the faintest of IR that you have to strain to see, which fades away within minutes...not an issue for me at all.

OOPS........DP?

Edited by xerxes

• 2 weeks later...

My 508XDA Kuro is still showing occassional signs of IR. However, none of it is seen during actual channels or movies, even ones that have side masks (black bars).

Someone asked me about my Kuro's settings. Well, pretty much everything has either been set to medium or standard, or left at their factory values. Screen Size has been set to "Full" with auto size at "wide zoom". Side masks and their brightness sync are active. Likewise for the Orbiter thing. Energy Save has been set to "mode 2".

Despite all those settings being made towards the prevention of IR, I still see it sometimes. Mostly when switching between channels or just after turning off my game systems. But I never see it on a full-screen image, or even with side-masked movies, or 4:3 TV shows via the DTV signal (its unavoidable as they were made that way I guess). Fortunately, nothing has ever burnt into the screen, and this IR does go away after a while of diaplying full-screen imagery.

Does anyone have any advice for me about the settings or further reducing the chances of IR/IB?

EDIT: At time of this edit, I've got the Video Pattern function running. I looked up close and saw no IR at all. The VP is still running even now.

Edited by Nova Phoenix

hi i have just brought a 42px70a plasma hopefully i will pick it up on sunday or monday, what is the best way to "run" it in, ive been reading this thread but cant get a clear answer.... is there a counter in the menus to see how many hours the tv has been runnign for? also will my xbox 360 case "burn in" sorry for my newbie questions but im just learning about plasmas....

How are plasma's for playing games?

Do they have bad lag or anything like that?

Example if you move a white object quickly from one side to the other on the display will it have a trail / ghost behind it - would an LCD be better?

I really dislike poor black levels, hence me considering a plasma to replace my HD CRT.

I figure playing games consistently could be bad for the display if there's always a counter for example in a corner or a menu left open for too long, but how long is too long?

Was considering Samsung, Pioneer or Panasonic 50" models within the next 4-12 weeks.

Example if you move a white object quickly from one side to the other on the display will it have a trail / ghost behind it - would an LCD be better?

I really dislike poor black levels, hence me considering a plasma to replace my HD CRT.

I figure playing games consistently could be bad for the display if there's always a counter for example in a corner or a menu left open for too long, but how long is too long?

Was considering Samsung, Pioneer or Panasonic 50" models within the next 4-12 weeks.

I certainly havn't noticed any on my LX508, and I wouldn't expect too. Plasma are meant to be better then LCDs in terms of ghosting... this is why LCDs have to invest in 100hz and fancy MotionFlow processing!

Personaly I'd look at the Pioneer range, and then the Panasonic/Samsung if you find the Pioneer's too expensive.

I've played games like Forza2, Halo3 and StarWars Lego for hours and hours with no signs of Image retention, and certainly no burn in. The Pioneer's are very robust in that regard, particular when you enable the orbitor and calibrate the display to a lower brightness (like most screens, they are over bright by default). It's even got a auto side-panels (grey bars) for 4:3 content to insure they wear at the same rate as the screen center.

hi i have just brought a 42px70a plasma hopefully i will pick it up on sunday or monday, what is the best way to "run" it in, ive been reading this thread but cant get a clear answer.... is there a counter in the menus to see how many hours the tv has been runnign for? also will my xbox 360 case "burn in" sorry for my newbie questions but im just learning about plasmas....

i have the same tv i have no problems with burn in and i use my 360 on it all the time for several hours in a go. for the first 100 - 200 hours just keep your contrast setting below half and that will run it in with out risk of burn in from HUD's etc. after that tune the picture levels to whatever you like and you'll be fine

plasma's are great for gaming in my opinion better than lcd, superior blacks and superior fast motion both important for games, a plasma (any quality one) will not ghost an lcd is far wore likely to.

Been playing the wii on the new Sammy 50inch and no burn in,no lag etc.Picture unreal and Xbox goes well too Only issue is from an injury from the smashed overhead fan light from the wii

Been playing the wii on the new Sammy 50inch and no burn in,no lag etc.Picture unreal and Xbox goes well too Only issue is from an injury from the smashed overhead fan light from the wii

Cheers lads - all 3 of you have me convinced on the PQ - what about the damn buzzing people are reporting? :(

Hi.

Wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. I want to buy a new TV for the family room. I have the Panasonic TH-50PX700A in the living room which Im really happy with. My concern is that the TV that Im about to purchase will often be used by the kids to play XBox games and they often leave the TV on and go away and forget to turn it off. Is this going to be a problem for burn in if I purchase a plasma TV or do I need a LCD? Do plasma have a screensaver?

Any Help appreciated. The TV I was considering is the TH-42PX600A or similar model available now.

Cheers lads - all 3 of you have me convinced on the PQ - what about the damn buzzing people are reporting? :(

All new Sammy's from March have new heatsinks( I am lead to believe) and firmware upgrade. No buzzing in new sets. Order away ;)

Edited by AC-Jacko

Noticed some IR for the first time on my 508XDA. It is very, very faint and i'm sure it will go away in time after watching some full screen tv or dvds. It's retention I can only just make out if Im looking at the panel with no signal right up close. Doesnt affect image quality at all when watching something else. This was from Bioshock on Xbox 360. Had a massive 4-5 hour session of it. Due to the game been rather dark, and the health bars being yellow and not transparent at all pretty understandable to why it has happened.

This is just a post to prove that burn in is really something that is extremely rare on newer plasmas and only will happen if you do something really stupid ie leave a dvd static menu on for 24 hours.