Plasma burn in?

True - but they also exclude IR and BI from the warranty so I think I'll ignore their advice on that one ;)

I've tweaked brightness and contrast down, should I also turn off 'dynamic contrast' and 'black tone' in the advanced settings menu? Picture is quite 'muddy' with both off...

I'm also using the zoom function to keep watermarks off the screen while running in; I gather that translucent ones would be ok but better safe than sorry.

Yes you should turn Dynamic Contrast off. Black Tone could be set at Low if Off is, as you say, too muddy.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you should turn Dynamic Contrast off. Black Tone could be set at Low if Off is, as you say, too muddy.

Cheers, done.

Geez the factory settings are bright... Have to turn down each input source separately as well.

Would make more sense to me for the contrast to be automatically set low until say 100 hours then boosted; then again I guess it's no skin of samsung's nose if people get ir or burn in after a year or so and they would probably get complaints that the screen 'doesn't look like it did in the shop' :rolleyes:

The Incredible Hulk (Ed Norton, not the Eric Bana travesty!) on Blu-ray looked quite decent despite my low settings on my B850. I also zoomed-out the black bars and the movie was still very watchable.

The run-in disc has been running almost non-stop since I got the TV back, so I'm going to give it a break from that (and my PS3 too), whilst still keeping up with full-screen imagery and a lack of playing video-games.

I figured out what caused the burn in. Its because of subtitles, the type with big white letters on a black background. And this tv seems to suffer quite a bit from image retention (Samsung Series 4 50" plasma).

I have bought a Panasonic 50" V10 plasma which I am getting in another week and a half, and I am going to be extremely careful with it. However my fiance uses subtitles a lot because English is not her first language. If this tv gets any burn in I will probably go into a fit of uncontrollable rage.

What can I do to prevent subtitles being burnt into my new tv?

I purchased same Samsung in the last couple of months as a second tv (Series 4 50" plasma) and concur that it seems much more prone to image retention than my same size pana panel of 2 years vintage (then again, I dont recall letting the kids play xbox or having pc hooked up to the pana panel either).

Thank goodness for this forum - I didn't realise until reading this thread that you should turn all the factory settings down, particularly for brand new plasma. Have done this now after noticing some nasty spots of image retention in the first couple of weeks (read- the speedo at bottom right of screen in need for speed). Hoping with more standard type use these will fade to nothing.

Question - is the white to grey panel wipe function supposed to assist with this? If so, how long should I run it for? (I'm probably exagerating the issue - only really noticeable on light scenes such as blue sky but you do tend to get a bit edgy with brand new panels).

Thanks, that's what I was hoping... I guess I'll just have to break it in by watching stuff instead - damn ;)

So I guess I'll turn brightness and contrast down below 50%, watch content zoomed or distorted to cover the entire screen, avoid watermarks and perhaps turn on the feature that shifts the picture by a few pixels to be safe - is there anything else I should do or avoid?

There is NEVER any need to turn down the “Brightness” control on a Plasma TV. “Brightness” sets the black level of the set and can be adjusted correctly for each source from day one.

The “Contrast” control sets the white level or peak output of the TV, its peak output that needs to be constrained if image retention and burn in risk is to be minimised. The higher the peak output the less time static images can be displayed safely.

You can’t just go by the contrast setting numbers either as there is significant differences between models and brands. A contrast setting of 50% on one TV can be as bright as 100% on another, its light output that matters not the setting number. The Sammy B450 is a good example; it’s a very bright Plasma, in part because it’s a 768 model with larger pixels for more light output but also because Samsung allow the panel to be driven VERY hard if contrast is tuned up, much more than other models.

So the rule is if the TV looks bright turn the contrast down until a comfortable level is achieved for the given viewing environment. The lower the ambient light the lower the contrast setting needs to be, this not only saves undue stress on the phosphor layer and of the panel and saves power but also reduces eye strain and gives a more natural looking picture. Most people run there TV’s far too bright for comfortable viewing, especially under dim light.

Note that phosphor is very sensitive early in its life and prone to image retention but this tendency decrease rapidly with use.

If you find it necessary to run high contrast settings (90% plus) for a lot of your viewing you should consider an LCD.

Edited by Owen

• 2 weeks later...

A friend bought a Sanyo 42" in late January and for some reason only watches foxtel in 4x3 (does not watch free to air). He now has the black area on the sides of the screen "burnt" in. Not all that obvious except that when you know it is there you see it. He has now switched to auto so the aspect changes according to the broadcast (most 16x9).

Should this "burnin" fade with time or is he stuck with it?

Garry

• 2 weeks later...
i have the samsung PS50B450 and i am breaking it in on normaL setting, only decreasing contrast to 50% and increasing brightness from 45 to 50%,

leaving all other settings unaltered. are these reasonable settings for the first 200 hours?

I too am worried about this - any chance of a response?

Owen's post above gives a very good summary IMO... Short answer, yes, those settings should be fine. Avoid leaving static images on the screen for long periods though - eg sports broadcasts with scores, newstickers etc - and stretch widescreen content to cover the entire screen while running in.

/2c

Guest Jay10k
Owen's post above gives a very good summary IMO... Short answer, yes, those settings should be fine. Avoid leaving static images on the screen for long periods though - eg sports broadcasts with scores, newstickers etc - and stretch widescreen content to cover the entire screen while running in.

/2c

This sorta helps alleviate my anxiety regarding image retention and burn ins but it still doesn't completely eliminate them. Still going to have to be careful especially watching movies with black bars. Damn it! Why do the stupid Hollywood people keep doing that? There is a specific standard for picture viewing so how about sticking to it?

This sorta helps alleviate my anxiety regarding image retention and burn ins but it still doesn't completely eliminate them. Still going to have to be careful especially watching movies with black bars. Damn it! Why do the stupid Hollywood people keep doing that? There is a specific standard for picture viewing so how about sticking to it?

Yeah it's called 2.4:1. Movies have never been exactly 16:9... usually (for widescreen) 1.85:1, 2:35:1 or 2.39/2.4:1.

JSmith :ninja:

Assuming the 4-series is the same as the PS50B550, you can stretch anything except 2.4:1 to cover the entire screen using the zoom function. With 2.4:1 there is still a small black bar so for me that is out until the set is run it.

• 1 month later...

Thinking about buying my first Plasma - 63" C7000 Samsung 3D Plasma

I have only ever owned LCD and last night got me thinking, watching NRL on Fox from 2pm till 9.30pm and then Australia Vs USA Soccer Friendly from 10am - 12.30pm on my Sony Bravia LCD. Would these cause a problem for a plasma? The score boards sit in the same position on NRL games on FOX, only go away with a reply. The one thing that does not move for approx 40min is the top right hand side Fox sports logo, says - The Analyzer Fox Sports 2 Live. After 40min of this just being in the top corner it will go away with a TV ad at half time and then be back again for another 40min+. This is repeated over and over again. Most weekend I watch Super Saturday, NRL from 2pm - 11.30pm.

I tried to see if the logo would appear in a slighty different spot after each TV ad but it doesnt and there are not many ads. Also it does not move slighty either, well thats what I think any how, couldnt see it move.

Anyone see this as a problem for a Plasma TV?

I will also be playing Video Games on both my 360 & PS3.

Thanks

Zoidy

Thinking about buying my first Plasma - 63" C7000 Samsung 3D Plasma

I have only ever owned LCD and last night got me thinking, watching NRL on Fox from 2pm till 9.30pm and then Australia Vs USA Soccer Friendly from 10am - 12.30pm on my Sony Bravia LCD. Would these cause a problem for a plasma? The score boards sit in the same position on NRL games on FOX, only go away with a reply. The one thing that does not move for approx 40min is the top right hand side Fox sports logo, says - The Analyzer Fox Sports 2 Live. After 40min of this just being in the top corner it will go away with a TV ad at half time and then be back again for another 40min+. This is repeated over and over again. Most weekend I watch Super Saturday, NRL from 2pm - 11.30pm.

I tried to see if the logo would appear in a slighty different spot after each TV ad but it doesnt and there are not many ads. Also it does not move slighty either, well thats what I think any how, couldnt see it move.

Anyone see this as a problem for a Plasma TV?

I will also be playing Video Games on both my 360 & PS3.

Thanks

Zoidy

Not really Zoidy, the ad's coming on refresh the screen... As discussed earlier in the thread you'd have to have a static image displayed for a long time with settings on "dynamic" to get any burn in. Possible temporary IR, but probably not on a new model with settings down at normal sane levels. I'd be more concerned about static images from gaming for hours on end in relation to IR. As for the 3D mode, this will operate the set at max contrast and brightness which surely will age the phosphors quicker. I wouldn't want to fall asleep with a 3D movie on pause...

JSmith :ninja:

Burn in is not an issue imo.

I have been reading various forums for years and have not read about anyone getting BI on a "big name brand" plasma what so ever.

Plasma technology the past 3 years is very advanced to what it was years before that.

Temporary image retention is just that, Temporary. It disappears very quickly.

Burn in is not an issue imo.

I have been reading various forums for years and have not read about anyone getting BI on a "big name brand" plasma what so ever.

Plasma technology the past 3 years is very advanced to what it was years before that.

Temporary image retention is just that, Temporary. It disappears very quickly.

You might have missed this one recently on wirlpool http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1462342 (although doesn't say if it's big brand).

Samsung still exclude burn in from their warranty claims and presumably do so for good reason. Yes, the technology has come a long way but still better off using some caution by way of reduced contrast settings for the first 100 or so hours (particularly with high definition static images such as during xbox gaming etc).

You might have missed this one recently on wirlpool http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1462342 (although doesn't say if it's big brand).

Samsung still exclude burn in from their warranty claims and presumably do so for good reason. Yes, the technology has come a long way but still better off using some caution by way of reduced contrast settings for the first 100 or so hours (particularly with high definition static images such as during xbox gaming etc).

Yeah, missed that one but the guy who started the thread wouldn't even state what brand it was. My guess is that it was one of those budget priced tv's you find in department stores like k-mart or Big w or similar type name store.

Or he may of just been a plasma hater/lcd lover.

Agree about the first 100 hrs, just be on the safe side I am not playing my xbox on my tv until the phosphors settle in a bit.

Taken from wikpedia

"Earlier models are susceptible to screen burn-in and image retention (however, newer models have green phosphors and built-in technologies to eliminate this, such as pixel shifting)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_display#Disadvantages

WTF?

"newer models have green phosphors"?

How did they display colour without green phosphors previously?

I call BS on that thread. "my friend" has severe burn-in.. yeah right, who posts for their friends tv problems. no mention of brand or model either.

Most manufacturers and insurance companies also exclude 'acts of god' from their policies too. Doesn't mean its anything to be concerned about though.