Plasma burn in?

Guest con100

If you have your screen hooked up to a pc i find if you run some audio through windows media and set the accompanying graphics to Random and set to Full Screen

(looks awsome on plasma) it (for me) is a very quick way of washing any retention from the screen...Ipersonally rate this over whitewash feature as motion is continious and extremely vivid...good for running in a new screen too

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest con100
Ok, a novice question. Do the black strips on the top/side of the programs cause any image retention? I thought they would! Sicne most DVD's and almost all programs have the black on the top/side !!

Gasy6, ye from what ive read previously the black bars are an issue and are apparently some of the worst offenders with reguard to I/R, or possible burn..

Con, thanks for that link, I have had my PX600 for a few days now and was going to run it in for 100 hours but will definately be going for 200 hours now. The hardest thing is making the kids change the aspect so it takes up the full screen, when I am not around. I have printed the info on that link and will sit them down and make sure they have read every word. Thanks again, very helpful!!

Guest con100
Con, thanks for that link, I have had my PX600 for a few days now and was going to run it in for 100 hours but will definately be going for 200 hours now. The hardest thing is making the kids change the aspect so it takes up the full screen, when I am not around. I have printed the info on that link and will sit them down and make sure they have read every word. Thanks again, very helpful!!

Panavision, i agree

"better safe than sorry" I too let the kids read that article and think they got a better understanding of the whole Burn in thingy, and it also makes me feel a little less guilty for bangin on about it. Now they know it is only temporary caution to take.

Mine is still in its "burn-in period" settings.

This is because I am too lazy to calibrate it yet.

Too much else to do, like plan a new kitchen (!). Do you think that if I told my wife that you get a free Mediastar 820 box with every Miele cooktop and oven that she'd believe me?? :blink:

• 1 month later...
I did but not overnight as you can see the screen from our bedroom and my other half would have "strung me up" so I ran it after work & weekends etc.

Can anyone recommend a good burn in dvd? I'm getting my samsung q91 next monday and I am intending to play the dvd continuously for 100-200 hours to "break-in" the screen. Is this advisable?

Can anyone recommend a good burn in dvd? I'm getting my samsung q91 next monday and I am intending to play the dvd continuously for 100-200 hours to "break-in" the screen. Is this advisable?
I wouldn't. :ph34r:

Then what would you recommend? How about a burn-in dvd that runs 4-6 hours every night? Is that ok?

What burn-in dvd to use? Any I can buy online?

I wouldnt bother using a burn-in dvd or the like, just dont leave static images on the screen and set contrast to half or just under for 100-200 hours.

Then what would you recommend? How about a burn-in dvd that runs 4-6 hours every night? Is that ok?

What burn-in dvd to use? Any I can buy online?

I would not do anything. These days if you are aware of burn in, you won't have a problem,

As long as you don't do anything silly like leave a static image up for 30 hours.

Even then there are things that can be done to get rid of it.

I don't know if the model you are looking at has an issue with burn-in or not.

My Pioneer certainly does not.

And if you are planning to get it calibrated it is better to not do anything out of the ordinary.

Happy viewing.

Guest cybermatic
Found this to be a good read...Tho it may be somewhat bias, dunno

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmat...atv-burnin.html

Thanks for that. Interesting read. :)

I've got an LG 42" plasma and never did any burn-in and so far it is working great. Personally, I don't think you really need to either; just don't leave static images on the screen, as said above.

Ive been floating around in this thread and wanted to contribute.

I live in the US by the way, but that has no matter on the TV's.

I own (recently bought a month or so ago) a 42" Panasonic TH-42PX75U 720p plasma, and have ALWAYS been worried about burn in.

A few nights ago, i fell asleep with ESPN ( a sports network, im sure you aussies have that ) and the sports "ticker" on the right hand side of the screen must have only been there for 5-6 hours, but left a fairly clear image the next day when i went to turn the TV back on. I was showing the set to friends and i noticed it, so i had to bottle my frustration for hours before being able to anything about it. Several faint white bars, followed by a "ESPN2HD" print at the bottom.

I've learned that alot of the burn-in that people experience is mostly just image retention, as my problem seems to be. I have spent hours running full-screen Tv shows, mostly discovery / national geographic chanel, shows/chanels that have alot of color and fast moving pictures in it.

So far, ive been able to clear most of it, and im still working on deleting 100% of the burn-in. I rest confided by others remarks that the image retention is very washable with time and patience.

(NOTE: My particular case of the image retention is only visible when i go to a black screen [as opposed to the white screen some others experience]).

EDIT(6:33pm EST US)= Ive basically removed the image, i dont want to say 100% becuase my paranoia wont allow me. I'll re-edit when i feel that the retention has been wiped clean.

I'll go ahead and post up later with an update of the screen condition.

Edited by Eric M

Thanks for that. Interesting read. :)

I've got an LG 42" plasma and never did any burn-in and so far it is working great. Personally, I don't think you really need to either; just don't leave static images on the screen, as said above.

Yes But what is the max time . As the poster above said 3~4 hours per nite?? Will that give burn in??

Re retained images - It is not "burn in" if it goes. It is (as mentioned) temporary image retention.

There is no doubt that plasmas temporarily retain images - especially high contrast bright images, and even more so during the initial early hours of use.

I managed to demonstrate this rather spectacularly when I was running the panasonic 'purple snakes' test - had it running whilst I was reading up on the thread (which was a bit longer than I expected). The (dynamic) video image had a white fat text title at the top of the screen which was quite obvious on an unoccupied input screen (ie all black). Went with 1/2 hour of nemo (actually, it was faintly visible the next day, but normal use made it go away).

If I had a plasma on loan I would love to test sequentially longer and longer images on the screen. But I am certainly not going to test this on mine.

J.

Just wait until the Aust Open tennis is on ch 7 next year.

The resplendent logo in all its glory managed to stay on my set for several days with no sign of easing off. Then the set completely broke down so I'll never know whether it was permanent or not. But it's not comforting at all to see it didn't go away after several days.

Just wait until the Aust Open tennis is on ch 7 next year.

The resplendent logo in all its glory managed to stay on my set for several days with no sign of easing off. Then the set completely broke down so I'll never know whether it was permanent or not. But it's not comforting at all to see it didn't go away after several days.

It was the same logo that was present for 1-2 weeks on two work-colleagues Pioneer screens :o

J.

I have a th-42px75u (07' Panasonic 42' 720p plasma) and have posted above before.

Small insert before i let my involvment in this thread run dorment

BUY A NEW PANASONIC: After a fairly washed image from my bad timing and sleep habits, the said markings washed out with a day or so of watching tv.

I am extremely happy with the purchase, and am now much more confident in the tv.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a th-42px75u (07' Panasonic 42' 720p plasma) and have posted above before.

Small insert before i let my involvment in this thread run dorment

BUY A NEW PANASONIC: After a fairly washed image from my bad timing and sleep habits, the said markings washed out with a day or so of watching tv.

I am extremely happy with the purchase, and am now much more confident in the tv.

I just got my Panasonic Plasma th-42px70a for 3 weeks and This model can press Picture on Hold "freeze" but i never use it.

One nite I left the Teletext on for 40mins after i was reading 120 News.... and then when I was watching other channel in 4.3 program with black bar and i can see very light burn in clock from Teletext Clock.

What I was happy about my Plasma is change the channel with 16.9 Program to cover the screen and in 1 to 2 mins I switch back to 4.3 or turn off the TV (Great the Burn In is gone quick)

The Pio manual says to avoid letterbox bars & to switch to one of the zoom modes. I prefer to watch movies in their original aspect so do i take the risk if the original image is wider that 16:9 or is a 4:3 aspect?

I would say they're just covering their arses in case something does go wrong. Maybe if you watch all three Lord of the Rings Extended Editions back-to-back you might have a problem but I'd say you wouldn't.

Do you have the XDA or the MXE? As a commercial panel the MXE seems to have all but licked the problems of burn-in. Following Lyle's advice I've thrown a lot at the MXE including reckless letterbox/pillarboxing, long sessions of computer use etc and haven't seen the first sign of image retention, and this is still in the first 100 screen hours. Maybe the XDA isn't quite as resilient but I'd be surprised if there was that much difference.

pjc

I would say they're just covering their arses in case something does go wrong. Maybe if you watch all three Lord of the Rings Extended Editions back-to-back you might have a problem but I'd say you wouldn't.

Do you have the XDA or the MXE? As a commercial panel the MXE seems to have all but licked the problems of burn-in. Following Lyle's advice I've thrown a lot at the MXE including reckless letterbox/pillarboxing, long sessions of computer use etc and haven't seen the first sign of image retention, and this is still in the first 100 screen hours. Maybe the XDA isn't quite as resilient but I'd be surprised if there was that much difference.

pjc

Agreed. :)

Agreed. :)

hi there!

when i watch the morning news programs on the plasma the "ticker tape" news items don't scroll smoothly across the bottom of the screen (on any channel), it's very "jittery?" Any ideas? :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

So really "burn in" is not a big concern any more for the average user? I have read that somewhere and it is reasuring that it appears to be fact not fiction (can't believe all you read). I am looking at one of the Panansonic plasmas (700A) in the current group buy.