Plasma burn in?

Guest JimboTHX1138
Is the nine logo burn-in or just IR?? I would be surprised if it is proper burn in.

Yeah, it's the nine logo in the top right corner. It has dimmed a bit since it happened and should eventually be gone. As i said i'm not that concerned as i've had burn in like this before and it will eventually go away. I thought i would post the information because most people think burn-in is only a problem with new plasma's. When this happened i was at 2500 hours, so it can happen pretty much anytime. I don't think people need to worry as burn-in doesn't seem like it's permanent. Every case i've had of it has eventually vanished.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't you Plasma have a white wash fuction to clear any image burn in. ? I have looked at LCD and Plasma and Plasma wins hands down on digital TV or lower res inputs and fast moving pictures, so if you have to be careful with burn in so be it. High res LCD such as the Samsung 1080p res look great with blue ray inputs but who is going to watch them all the time. So Plasma is the way to go. Welcome to the real world.

Cheers

Jase

Doesn't you Plasma have a white wash fuction to clear any image burn in. ? I have looked at LCD and Plasma and Plasma wins hands down on digital TV or lower res inputs and fast moving pictures, so if you have to be careful with burn in so be it. High res LCD such as the Samsung 1080p res look great with blue ray inputs but who is going to watch them all the time. So Plasma is the way to go. Welcome to the real world.

Cheers

Jase

Panasonic plasmas don't have this function.

I guess it's a matter of preference. If you prefer PQ, go plasma. If you don't want to worry about burn-in/image retention and play a lot of games, go LCD.

This is not a Plasma burn in reply - but couldnt start a new topic!

I need advice please!

I am considering buying around a 37" or 40" LCD for watching mainly FTV.

I have looked at:

1. Metz Milos 37S 1366X 768 with a SD tuner and PIP $3000 5 yr warranty

2. Schaub Lorenz VMD 3700PHF - 1920*1080 HD tuner $3500

3. Sharp 37BD6X - 1366X 768 with a HD tuner $3300

Am I better off purchasing a better quality bit lower res panel with SD tuner ( as most FTV is SD broadcast only anyway) ie Metz

OR

Higher res with HD tuner but made in Asia??

Please help!

Question about burn in.

I am about to get the Pio 507. I was told that burn in is not much an issue now as most of the channel's icon are translucent, even most of foxtel.

Probel I noticed last night while watching the fox sport channels, the icon is not translucent..it's full on. Also I watch lost of soccer and at the top left corner of the screen, the time played and the scores are constantly left on and is not translucent.

Please tell me I have nothing to worry about?

Many Thanks

Pat

Pioneer are renown for their Image Retention issues. I haven't heard of any Burn In problem though, so I guess they are only image retention and not permanent.

I did have a Burn In problem with my Pana as a result of the super bright ch 7 logo during the Australian Open tennis. It didn't go away after one week but then the set developed a major fault and had to be replaced, so I don't know whether it was permanent or not.

Looks like Sky News.au has their own problems with burn-in:

Sky News Burn-in

sky_news_burnin.vga.jpg

From http://www.skynews.com.au/disclaimer/tvcare.asp:

Do not allow a still image to be displayed on your television screen for an extended period of time. This can cause a permanent residual image (burn-in) remaining on your screen.

Examples of still images include:

* Channel logos and certain Channel formats;

CK.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like Sky News.au has their own problems with burn-in:

Sky News Burn-in

sky_news_burnin.vga.jpg

From http://www.skynews.com.au/disclaimer/tvcare.asp:

Do not allow a still image to be displayed on your television screen for an extended period of time. This can cause a permanent residual image (burn-in) remaining on your screen.

Examples of still images include:

* Channel logos and certain Channel formats;

CK.

This will be a problem everywhere though won't it? Virtually everything has a channel logo, or black bars from a movie, or video games with certain things that remain static for some time? I might have to reconsider a plasma and go lcd.

FWIW - Have a Pioneer PDP-4360HD bought around Christmas - well past the 200 hour mark now, probably more like 300.

Mainly watch Foxtel and DVD movies. Got Foxtel IQ last week.

Two nights ago I fell asleep watching an IQ recorded show. So the last screen that came on and stayed on was an ad (with an info panel that the recorded show had ended).

Woke up 7 am in complete panic at a clear outline of a Nokia phone that had burnt in (along with other bands, etc)

I really wasn't sure where this was headed. To save newbie plasma owners some angst (hopefully): I ran the TV most of the working day (work from home, so I could keep checking on it) and I found one of the cartoon channels was pretty good - no logos, bright fast moving screens with large areas of colour/white.

Anyway, by evening the burn-in had 99% gone. Took about a day for my critical eye to pass it as a successful exercise, but I don't really want to go through that again.

Having said that, I don't mind the inconvenience (of constant guard) when weighed against the look of a reasonably good plasma screen (which this is).

Hope this helps relieve some anxieties...

Cheers

Thanks for that, I don`t own a plasma yet, so I don`t own a user manual either. Now probably another stupid question, currently we only turn off tv, leaving Austar on at the box. Could this cause burn in even though plasma is turned off. I am looking to buy a plasma in June so am quite happy to ask silly questions.

Image retention (to use the correct term) will only occur so long as a static image is displayed for an extended period. So to answer your question, No.

Don't be nearly as wound up about image retention as some of these threads or (mis)information from various sources might influence you to be. I have a 6th gen Pioneer (they're currently selling 7th gen) and it is supposedly one of the worst for image retention. My 2 or 3 experiences are detailed in Lyle's thread (here and here).

For what it's worth, I think that snobby Pioneer owners are just too hard to please (or perhaps are more discerning than others), so I'd take the results of that thread with a grain of salt. :blink:

As far as buying a plasma in June, I wouldn't be doing anything in the meantime other than saving, and looking at all displays in your eventual price range. Until it's time to hand over the cash, keep as open a mind as possible. Technology moves too fast to limit a future purchase with todays knowledge.

Cheers,

Aaron.

• 2 weeks later...

recently(jan) got the pana 50px600 and playing motorstorm on ps3, i noticed everytime i finished playing the boost and timer image stays. so i guess this is image retention and i shouldnt worry about it? the image isnt like the watermark on channels but are bright yellow and white so i thought this could more intense. its kinda annoying and stays on for some time. would this effect eventually dissapear like ive heard? anyone playing ps3 with same game on same screen?

sorry, im just worried, recently changed the settings from out of the box to something more vibrant.

recently(jan) got the pana 50px600 and playing motorstorm on ps3, i noticed everytime i finished playing the boost and timer image stays. so i guess this is image retention and i shouldnt worry about it? the image isnt like the watermark on channels but are bright yellow and white so i thought this could more intense. its kinda annoying and stays on for some time. would this effect eventually dissapear like ive heard? anyone playing ps3 with same game on same screen?

sorry, im just worried, recently changed the settings from out of the box to something more vibrant.

Panasonic themselves recommend being careful in the 1st 100 or so hours:

4. What is the "break-in" period and what should I do during the break-in period to minimize any risk of image retention?

When your plasma TV is initially installed, the first 100 hours of use is known as the "break-in period." During this time, to minimize any risk of image retention, you should:

Make sure the plasma TV is in a viewing mode (aspect ratio) that completely fills the screen. The panel is shipped in this condition, in what is called the "Just" mode.

Turn down the Picture setting (in the Picture menu) to +0.

Briefly engage the 4:3 mode and confirm the side bars are set to "Mid", or "Bright". This can be adjusted in the Set Up menu.

Always return the display mode that fills the screen (such as Just, Zoom, Full, or H-FILL).

Try not to view channels with stationary backgrounds or logos for extended periods of time.

Avoid extended display of static images (video games, computer images, DVD title screens, etc.).

(link)

To put it in perspective, the next point is also helpful

5. I've heard that plasma TVs can "burn-in" over time. What is "burn-in" exactly, and is it really a concern?

"Burn-in," or image retention, is an uneven aging of the phosphors in a display device, can occur on any display that uses phosphors to generate an image, including tube TVs, projection TVs that use CRTs, and plasma TVs. Such uneven aging happens when bright, static images are left onscreen for an extended period of time, which can leave a visible "shadow" effect.

Improvements in panel service life to over 60,000 hours have minimized the risk of image retention. In addition, screen savers, pixel shifting, and brightness level adjustments can dramatically reduce any chance of image retention. Use common sense when it comes to your plasma TV; don't pause video games or watch TV stations with station logos onscreen for long periods of time, and use one of the many display calibration DVDs available today for properly setting brightness and contrast.

The rule of thumb: if you don't worry about your traditional tube TV, you don't have to worry about a Panasonic plasma TV.

J.

I think some first time big screen shoppers viewing this thread will be scared off plasma and, despite preferring plasma PQ, head elsewhere quite unnecessarily because of some comments here. Firstly there's the usual need to comment loudly about something when it goes wrong, but never utter a murmer when it works as it should. This thread was started over 18 months ago and the early complainants may have bought screens 6 - 12 months before that. Early valid burn-in concerns or not, across most brands, a lot has changed in 3 years or more.

I've had a plasma (Humax) maybe 2 years now and early on did see some image retention, but never burn-in of a permanent nature. Over the last year or more, however, I can't recall seeing any. I didn't go out of my way ensuring watermarks, news bars or 4:3 aspect side bars got too much exposure - just used it normally while being aware I shouldn't pause something then go mow the lawns or pop down the shops, but I will happily do so while I make a coffee or answer the phone. I'm inclined to believe that it is more apparent/prone during the first few hours and then the effect/risk fades away. The rule of thumb from Panasonic (and Scalpel) above is probably the best advice yet for current plasmas.

I forgot to mention - the burn-in 'repairing' white/grey screen may not be a regular menu option for many brands/models, but if you can get access to the factory/tech setup menu, then it just may be available.

thanks for the reply, i guess i better check the hours my panas done. just cant help but feel scared when i start the games eg. motorstorm and virtua tennis 3, almost straight away image retention occurs. its often annoying as it always takes my attention away from the game and start worrying about the screen. maybe the sony bravia was a better choice in the beginning >.> even though there was still a lot of motion blur.

• 2 weeks later...

Was just wondering how people feel about turning yout TV onto analogue channel 99 say and use the "white storm" effect to get rid of image retention or burn in?

If you wack your TV on channel 99 its just a blizzard of black and white because there is of course no signal i would have thought that would be the best way.

Thoughts?

Was just wondering how people feel about turning yout TV onto analogue channel 99 say and use the "white storm" effect to get rid of image retention or burn in?

If you wack your TV on channel 99 its just a blizzard of black and white because there is of course no signal i would have thought that would be the best way.

Thoughts?

Thats what I used to do after some sessions on the 360 where there was some retention of speedos/scores etc. I typically dont do it anymore as it tends to go away with normal viewing.

The footy scores still seem to hang around for a bit, particularly the red ones which you notice against the background of ads with lighter colours (such as a yellow RAC ad).

• 3 weeks later...
Panasonic plasmas don't have this function.

I guess it's a matter of preference. If you prefer PQ, go plasma. If you don't want to worry about burn-in/image retention and play a lot of games, go LCD.

LCDs do get burn in... and so do CRT screens...

I think some first time big screen shoppers viewing this thread will be scared off plasma and, despite preferring plasma PQ, head elsewhere quite unnecessarily because of some comments here.

I agree 100% Wing Nut... Why on earth this topic is pinned is beyond me... repeating myself over and over i'm sorry, but LCDs and CRTs get burn in too??

Maybe the mods will remove this pinned topic... it is almost not applicable these days...