Plasma burn in?

What should I do now? Help!

It can be a very worrying situation, especially if your tv is fairly new, but try not to stress too much - there is hope. It is most likely just a case of severe image retention (not permanent screen burn) that will disappear over time with normal viewing. This time period can be much longer than you expect - depending on how much you use your screen it may take a several weeks of normal viewing before it is completely removed. So you may think it is permanent, but from my experience it does eventually disappear. The solid bright white logos image retention is the worst and takes the longest to disappear.

AFAIR you have a Panasonic plasma, as do I. In my case, over a weekend of intermittently playing Dead Rising on xbox360 caused the 'life' meter and zombies 'killed' counter to be retained on the screen. After 10+ hrs screen time of other viewing it was still visible. I did some internet research and came up with a couple of ways to accelerate the 'other viewing' process and remove the retained image:

1. Change to an untuned analogue station to get the white noise snow; or

2. Download this screen wash video (which is a white to black gradient that moves continuously across the screen) from the first post, burn it to dvd, then set it to repeat play; or

3. The service menu of your tv will likely have a plain white test image.

You then leave this image on your screen for several hours. Theres no definitive answer for how long - it will vary case by case. Some people suggest overnight, however I didnt do that. I used a combination of the 3 for a total of about 6-8 hours over the course of a couple of days, with other viewing in between. It helped to the point where I could no longer see the retained image under normal viewing conditions from normal viewing distance, so I was happy enough with that.

There was still some very slight shadowing visible under the right conditions (ie. blank input screen, in darkness) and because I knew what I was looking for. I figured that was probably permanent, so while I was bummed, you couldnt see it during normal viewing, so I decided to chalk it up to experience and move on. I've recently checked my screen thoroughly again after 250+ more screen hours, and there are now no visible traces left :blink:

So patience is the key - try not to stress, it just takes time, unfortunately a long time.

Note - Be aware that the above method relies on ageing all the phosphors in the screen to approximately the same level. So you are accelerating the ageing of the phosphors in your panel and reducing the panel life at a quicker rate. A bright plain white image is the worst in that regard (but conversely (probably) the quickest to remove retention) . Also your panel will run considerably warmer, so make sure that ventilation is not restricted in any way.

Good luck.

EDIT - Saw you last post. Yeah I tried the JScreenFix for a while as well, but I found it was nowhere near as effective as the white images described above.

Hang in there mate. I freaked a little as well when it happend to me, so I know what you are going through - but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I too was concerned about the burn-in aspect of plasmas when researching which tv to buy. General consensus seemed to be that if you give your panel a good run-in and don't abuse it then it should be fine. I was careful to do that. I ran it in with contrast, brightness and colour settings well below 50% for the first 150hrs and vigilant against 4:3, static images and gaming etc. After 250 hours and constant checks there was no hint of any problems so I figured it was time to stop worrying and enjoy. So I was really disheartened during my image retention problems.

It is disappointing that newest generation plasmas are still not burn/image retention proof, however I'm still happy with my purchase. I try not to worry as much as I used to, but we still need be vigilant with plasma use to some degree.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So patience is the key - try not to stress, it just takes time, unfortunately a long time.

Good luck.

Thanks for your advice.

Unfortunately the three vertical black bars are now everywhere, no matter what input I choose. It seemed that the JScreenFix program really stuffed up the tv and created havoc in the factory setting.

They apprear in the left side of the screen, with a random thin streak of yellow/red/blue lines in them.

The ch 7 burn in logo now seems like a small problem compared to the black bars.

I fear and have a strong feeling that the panel will have to be replaced.

They apprear in the left side of the screen, with a random thin streak of yellow/red/blue lines in them.

The ch 7 burn in logo now seems like a small problem compared to the black bars.

Now that is cause for great concern. What version of the Jscreenfix did you use? One of the java applets via vga? Any chance you can take a picture of the problem?

I used one of the pre-rendered mpeg videos through xbmc and had no problems.

In the normal setup menu of your tv there should be an option to reset it to 'factory condition'. You could try that to reset all the factory default settings.

Now that is cause for great concern. What version of the Jscreenfix did you use? One of the java applets via vga? Any chance you can take a picture of the problem?

I used one of the pre-rendered mpeg videos through xbmc and had no problems.

In the normal setup menu of your tv there should be an option to reset it to 'factory condition'. You could try that to reset all the factory default settings.

Yep, I used one of the java applets via vga.

No pics though, I'm so upset I've already dismantled the set aside and replaced it with my old CRT!

As best as I can describe it, the black bars are like three vertical black pillars each about 5cm across. They are fixed on the same spot, with random streaks of yellow/red/green lines about 2mm in width, on top of the bars.

There is no factory reset either on the plasma. I have read the manual and the only reset is for the picture/sound setting reset e.g. contrast, brightness, bass, treble etc.

Any PV60A knows how to do a factory reset?

Let's hope they don't use the same stupid logo for the footy.

I've also had problems with the cricket scoreboard (having 'AUS' or 'ENG' retained).

It's strange that you have the burn in on the cricket, since an over usually only takes no more than 10 minutes then they go to commercial.

Tennis on the other hand, can be longer than 20 minutes between ad-breaks if there's a lot of deuces.

In any case, I don't think I'll watch any more tennis on the plasma as long as 7 still shows their stupid bright logo.

I agree. During the first couple of hundred (thousand)hours I'm avoiding the tennis like the plague.

I watched the cricket for a few hours the other night and got IR from the scoreboard and the BRIGHT WHITE "WIN SPORT" LOGO!! (bastards!!).

They're as bad as Seven now!

IR is gone now thanks to No.1 Daughter and her cartoons, but it is damn annoying that it has to happen because some studio exec has a small dick.

I've got contrast and brightness at about 30% on the sliding scales and even in daylight that is well bright enough for us, and it still can happen.

Anyway....gone now...be more careful....

It's strange that you have the burn in on the cricket, since an over usually only takes no more than 10 minutes then they go to commercial.

Tennis on the other hand, can be longer than 20 minutes between ad-breaks if there's a lot of deuces.

In any case, I don't think I'll watch any more tennis on the plasma as long as 7 still shows their stupid bright logo.

It wasn't anywhere near as bad as channel seven's logo. The ad breaks help but don't prevent image retention, just slow down how long till it happens.

Considering channel seven have at least 4 or 5 digital channels you would think that they could have at least one of their channels with a normal transparent logo for us plasma users. Surely not too much to ask for..

Considering channel seven have at least 4 or 5 digital channels you would think that they could have at least one of their channels with a normal transparent logo for us plasma users. Surely not too much to ask for..

It IS too much to ask for. Seven in all their wisdom factored in all kind of audience in their list: old people, the vision-impaired, etc. and Seven wants them to be able to recognise their logo without any disadvantages.

Who cares about screen burn? It's the responsibility of the tv manufacturer, they'd say.

Just got an update from the repair agent.

They said the panel is shot so I'll be getting a new set :blink: . If Panasonic is kind to me, they'll give me the new PX600A instead of the PV60A, since I paid $3,000 (RRP was $4,000 back then) for PV60A. Now the RRP for both the 600A and 60A are $3,299 from the Panasonic website.

But I guess it would be asking too much. All I want is a set that works!

Just got an update from the repair agent.

They said the panel is shot so I'll be getting a new set :blink: . If Panasonic is kind to me, they'll give me the new PX600A instead of the PV60A, since I paid $3,000 (RRP was $4,000 back then) for PV60A. Now the RRP for both the 600A and 60A are $3,299 from the Panasonic website.

But I guess it would be asking too much. All I want is a set that works!

Good/news luck Black Dawg, we can only hope.

If they did that would you please show us in exact detail how you botched that operation of yours? :blink::D

Good luck & hope you get a trouble-free one this time.

I'll auction it on eBay :P .

Nah, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. For all I know you can end up with multiple burn-ins all across your screen, which is not covered by the warranty :ph34r: .

But I think it was just a coincidence that the fault developed when I ran the program. It shouldn't have happened for any reason. Still, I wouldn't touch it ever again in my life time :P .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

First post and unfortunately it is because of the bad customer experience received with Hitachi warranty claims. They have taken over 3 months to try to resolve my fault and now they want to pick up the Plasma without providing and loan unit until the issue is resolved. Not sure if any one else has experienced anything like this but so far Hitachi have been really difficult to deal with the issue.

Long story short can anyone comment if they have dealt with Hitachi in regards to warranty claim? and I know that it will be the last piece of equipment I will purchase from them.

Hi,

First post and unfortunately it is because of the bad customer experience received with Hitachi warranty claims. They have taken over 3 months to try to resolve my fault and now they want to pick up the Plasma without providing and loan unit until the issue is resolved. Not sure if any one else has experienced anything like this but so far Hitachi have been really difficult to deal with the issue.

Long story short can anyone comment if they have dealt with Hitachi in regards to warranty claim? and I know that it will be the last piece of equipment I will purchase from them.

I'm still waiting for my replacement unit from Panasonic after 3 weeks. They finally approved it last night but that was after my constant badgering every 2nd day. They still have to outsource it and arrange delivery so who knows how much longer this is gonna take. If I haven't harrased them I bet it will take many many months like you.

All I can suggest is keep calling Hitachi. You can't just leave things up to them. Call every second day if necessary. If you're getting nowhere ask to speak to a Manager.

If you're still getting nowhere then it's time to contact the Fair Trading office in your state.

Guest JimboTHX1138

I own a Panasonic TH-42PV500A and have burn-in from the cricket with the channel nine logo. I'm not that concerned as i've had minor image retention before and it eventually goes away. I find the best way to get rid of it is by playing bright cartoons.

The thing is i'm nearly at 2500 hours when this burn-in happened, so it goes to show that a break-in period is pretty much meaningless, as it seems you can get burn-in at any time of the plasmas lifespan.

I was looking to buy a new LCD or Plasma but was worried about burning. I'm looking at the Hitachi 42 PD960 TA plasma with 1080 lines. Does anyone have any report on this new plasma good or bad? Also looking at the Samsung LA40F71BX 40" LCD which is 1910 X 1080p. I guess the main question is LCD or Plasma ? I will mainly be watching Digital free to air via HD STB with a couple of DVD thrown in but wanted the 1080 res just in case I get a Blue Ray player . Any suggestions on model etc would be great. I just want the display to look good with lower res inputs and not have to rely on 1080i to say wow that looks great.

Thanks

Jase

Me too. I'm wondering if it's new users freaking out at every little visual oddity while the rest of us dismiss these knowing they're fairly transient to some new plasmas or infrequent bright/dark scenes. I rarely notice it anymore and typically after a DVD - side bars to blame in that instance. Goes quietly away soon after.